TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2004, 04:12 PM   #91 (Print)
kas25

For those who have taken the deal, is it worth it? The what channels do you get in HD(ie, will the Superbowl be on it)? I have 3 tivo units in my house. Will I lose access to them if I go HD?
kas25 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 04:30 PM   #92 (Print)
jgdiablo

HDTV Package

Details of what's in the HDTV package is here:Package
jgdiablo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 04:38 PM   #93 (Print)
kas25

thanks, I saw that but I am a little confused about local channels. I need an antenna? Is this an antenna connected to the dish or some big pole-type antenna? Can I use the TIVO, but not in HD with the new dish?
Old 01-06-2004, 04:48 PM   #94 (Print)
jgdiablo

Quote:
Originally posted by kas25
thanks, I saw that but I am a little confused about local channels. I need an antenna? Is this an antenna connected to the dish or some big pole-type antenna? Can I use the TIVO, but not in HD with the new dish?

To get local HDTV channels, you'll need an antenna. Depending on how far away you are from the signal tower, you can get away with an indoor antenna like the Zenith Silver Sensor, otherwise you'll need a UHF antenna that would need to go on the roof or potentially in the attic. Check out www.antennaweb.org to find out what channels are available and what kind of antenna you'd need.

You can use the Tivo units with the new dish - the new dish simply allows your HD receiver to pickup the HD channels.
Old 01-06-2004, 04:52 PM   #95 (Print)
kas25

Thanks. That helps alot. Can I send two lines to lone room, attaching one to tivo and another to the HD tuner and switch back and forth? I realize the tivo won't record in HD.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:44 PM   #96 (Print)
jgdiablo

Kas25,

Remember that with this deal, DirecTV pays for installation. Therefore, the installer will run an additional line into the room that will get the HD Receiver. If you don't have any more outputs from the dish, then the installer will install a 5x8 multiswitch to get more outputs available and therefore run to your HD receiver. You won't need to disrupt how the DirecTivo works currently - therefore you'd have 3 total cable runs into that room.
Old 01-06-2004, 06:43 PM   #97 (Print)
Malakie

Just wanted to post and say you guys are great. I started browsing the boards last night because, my direct tivo started showing definite signs of "stopple". At first I just thought I was getting a poor signal, but after reading this board I figured out it was the hard drive. While figuring out what was wrong with it I found this thread and after calling Direct TV, I am getting a receiver, triple lnb dish, and antenna installed. Total with antenna was going to be 499.91, and I get a $400 credit. FYI concerning antenna, zip code is 75048, which is a suburb of Dallas.

So you guys saved me $400 dollars and fixed my problem. Would you believe my Direct Tivo went out on the 90th day of my warranty?

I have one question though. I asked about the multi switch and the phone rep said the installer would just bring what they needed. Any idea if it is a 4X5 or 5X8? I asked if they would let me just install it myself, but they wouldn't let me.

Thanks!!!
Malakie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 07:14 PM   #98 (Print)
exdishnet
HD is overrated...

I'm in LA county, subscriber for about 15 months. Was offered the $199 deal (an extra hundred since I haven't been with DTV for two years) and they will include OTA for free. I'm still debating...$200 plus shipping and tax plus $16 a month for the extra receiver and HD subscriptions works out to more than $400 over the next year. Presumably I'll sell this receiver in ~6 months when HD Tivo arrives, so there's a couple hundred more (cost of HD Tivo minus selling price of HD receiver). Until this deal came up, I was happy waiting for an HDTivo, but at $99 I was going to leap. But $199...I can't decide. Somebody give me a push.
exdishnet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #99 (Print)
eswanborg

Where in LA County? Just curious if the north end of the SFV qualifies for the OTA...

PUSH!
eswanborg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 07:37 PM   #100 (Print)
RightHere

Thumbs up me too...

Took 2 calls. 2nd guy had it right away (his bro just got in on the deal .

The 3 things they check to see if you can get this:
1) Customer for 2+ years
2) Monthly programming over <x> (he didn't say, but I think someone else on this thread did)
3) Never late with a payment (I haven't seen this mentioned; glad I use their autopay service or wouldn't have qualified!)

I thought for a minute there I wasn't going to qualify on #2, but fortunately the last few months have included NFL Ticket, so my bills have been insane I have TC+ and a Tivo...don't know if that would've been enough on its own (and I was too excited to ask about it!).

He mentioned that a supervisor had to approve it (maybe he didn't say approve, but they'd definitely have to look at it) before it could be credited to my acct. I'm paying $99. Total cost that he told me I'd see on my card is $504.79, but everything else is coming back in a programming credit. I was told that the installers would bring the unit with them. I think that's bogus info according to everything else I've read here, but hopefully they'll call to confirm the appt.

1 yr commitment to TC or better programming required. He didn't sign me up for the HD package. Looks like there may be a 1 month free offer on the page (was supposed to expire in December, but it's still there so maybe it still works).

I didn't ask about an OTA antenna since I live in a condo and have a good indoor OTA antenna anyway (Silver Sensor). I tried to ask him some questions about just installing the Sat C kit and maybe including a multi-switch (I already have 4 internal drops from the last install), but he didn't seem to understand what I meant. Kept mentioning the free dish. My condo people don't like me as it is because I had all of these holes drilled in the outside wall. The last thing I need is 2 more.

Install could've been set up for Thursday or Friday, but I went with Saturday afternoon. I don't have to take time off from work and I can sleep in on the weekend. Sweet!

You can't beat this deal with a stick. I agree with previous posters that I bet we'll be able to sell these things on e-bay for at least $200 once we upgrade to HD Tivo's. WOO HOO!!

Edit: Oh, and THANK YOU tivo community and avsforum members for pointing out this deal!
RightHere is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 07:52 PM   #101 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Like I said above I didn't ask about the OTA, since I didn't know about it at the time. But, I don't think whatever one they might have brougth would work in my area. Too many hills around here. Also, several of my locals are on VHF. The antennaweb.org site shows I'm only 8.5 miles from the towers but need red, blue, and violet antenna.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:58 PM   #102 (Print)
smak

How can I tell if I can use the indoor silver sensor. It says i'm 18 miles from the antennas.

-smak-

"I'm sorry, i'm going to have to get back to you, there's a girl in a bathtub on the other line"
smak is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 10:14 PM   #103 (Print)
stflush

Quote:
Originally posted by smak
How can I tell if I can use the indoor silver sensor. It says i'm 18 miles from the antennas.

-smak-

I'm about 14 miles from the towers and using a silver sensor. It's not perfect but working pretty good until I can install a real antenna. I have occasional picture issues but I'm getting 80 percent signal strength on most stations. You can always try it out and if it doesn't work take it back or sell it.

Matt
stflush is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 10:25 PM   #104 (Print)
Pkarakis

Thanks to everyone here I just got the $99.00 deal tonight. They are installing on Tuesday. My rep said they were offering a "couple of different" deals and had to check on my area. No OTA antenna for me, but I had one already.

You guys are the best!
Pkarakis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 11:15 PM   #105 (Print)
battrl

Just got the deal with the OTA antenna and no HD package commitment. She said that the receiver would either be the Hughes or the Samsung. She didn't know any details on the antenna but said it is "a really good one, because it can recieve HD signals..." Right. I told her I would hold judgement until I saw it work through the grove of 200 yr old pecan trees and downtown Dallas, which are both in the 35 mi separating my house and the transmitters.

Pressing on, I asked if she heard any rumblings about the HDDirecTiVo. She said someone at DirecTV brought in an article saying that Circuit City had some around Christmas for $1000 but sold out of them quickly.

Take that for what it's worth.
battrl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 09:22 AM   #106 (Print)
JEbbesen
Advanced Member

I'm loving it!

Thanks for the heads up on this deal.

As a subscriber for only 16 months, my net cost is going to be $199.99. I ordered Monday, was installed yesterday. I received the Samsung HD receiver and the OTA antenna. The installer did a great job, first time I wasn't home for the install but I talked to him on the phone and we went over the strategy and he did perfect. The only hang-up was that he couldn't get a signal on the OTA antenna; they are coming back at a later date to fix that.

I previously had a Panasonic HD receiver that sucked big time; slow would be an understatement. The Samsung, from what I saw last night, was light years ahead of the Pana in terms of speed of the guide. The pana was so slow that I rarely used it - I got fed up with it and cancelled my HD programming, sold the receiver on EBay ($310) and when I went for my third $99 DTivo deal, high jacked the cable from my 2nd floor Bedroom to my living room (previously used for the OTA Antenna) to use with the DTivo.

The result was that I no longer have a cable running from my antenna to my living room so getting the OTA antenna on this deal for free appealed to me. Now that they have run the cable from the new antenna to my living room, I may try to hook up that line with my original OTA antenna. I’ll wait and see how good the new one works.
JEbbesen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 09:51 AM   #107 (Print)
dadale

what kind of antenna did you guys that got the OTA one get?

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
dadale is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 11:30 AM   #108 (Print)
RMSko

Quote:
Originally posted by jgdiablo
If you don't have any more outputs from the dish, then the installer will install a 5x8 multiswitch to get more outputs available and therefore run to your HD receiver.
Actually, DTV often only provides a 4x8 multiswitch, which will suffice. The only benefit to a 5x8 switch would be if you want to run OTA line into the multiswitch. If you are running the line directly to the HD receiver, the 4x8 switch is fine.

Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
RMSko is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 01:43 PM   #109 (Print)
Panchovilla

New Hughes HD Receiver arrived today ($99.00 deal) - installer not due till next week , 1/14. I'd like to install it myself as I already have the new multi-satellite dish installed for my DTV/Tivo. Can I use a di-plexer to split the signal from one of the coax cables feeding my Tivo and connect the two outputs, one to the HD Receiver and one back to the Tivo and use it that way until the installer gets here and either runs another cable or installs a multiswitch? Any advice would be appreciated.

JVC SVHS VCR, RCA DVD
Pioneer VSX C100-S A/V Receiver
OFA URC6131 Remote
DTV Subscriber since 12/94
Panchovilla is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 02:08 PM   #110 (Print)
exdishnet
HD is overrated...

No, you can't split an incoming sat signal without a multiswitch. Not in any simple way, at least. You could take one of the sat feeds to your tivo and switch it to the hd, and just run tivo with one receiver for now. Don't forget to change your setup for the tivo if you do that...otherwise it might try to record on the second (inactive) tuner.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:09 PM   #111 (Print)
Vin

Quote:
Can I use a di-plexer to split the signal from one of the coax cables feeding my Tivo and connect the two outputs, one to the HD Receiver and one back to the Tivo and use it that way until the installer gets here and either runs another cable or installs a multiswitch? Any advice would be appreciated.

No, that won't work, you'll need another direct line from the dish. The best you'd be able to do until then would be to borrow one of the sat feeds from your DTiVo if you wanted to try out the new HD receiver with D* HD programming......you'll have to wait for the antenna to be installed for local HD channels.

Vin
Vin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 02:10 PM   #112 (Print)
Want1394

Quote:
Originally posted by Panchovilla
..... Can I use a di-plexer to split the signal from one of the coax cables feeding my Tivo and connect the two outputs, one to the HD Receiver and one back to the Tivo and use it that way until the installer gets here and either runs another cable or installs a multiswitch? Any advice would be appreciated.
And this is why DirecTV insists on "Professional" install.

Actually, hat's off to Panchvilla - he asked. Many installers don't get it right and don't know enough to ask.

Old 01-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #113 (Print)
exdishnet
HD is overrated...

And now I have a question about HD setup -- I'm going to get the OTA antenna, and I also have cable. The HD receiver is supposed to accept either one, and put all the info in the guide, etc., but can it accept both? Would the cable signal enter separately from the OTA signal? Or if not, could they be combined before connection, since the HD OTA frequencies should not conflict with any of the basic cable frequencies?
Old 01-07-2004, 02:15 PM   #114 (Print)
mcblackman
Sophmore Member

Man I wish I could get this!
But I guess I'm screwed since I'm in the Pegasus area (I "moved").
They wont over this deal without the professional installation will they?
Anyone have an idea for a workaround?
mcblackman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 02:17 PM   #115 (Print)
tivolovit

Got my HD Receiver TODAY!

And it was a NIB Hughes, happy about that, I was wanting the Hughes personally. Glad too that it isn't used. I had seen some posts on the HD forum that some were getting used STBs? My triple LNB dish came with it as well.

Yippie!!! I feel like a kid in a candy store!

RCA DVR-39 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Hughes SD-DVR40 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Lifetime TiVo Subscription
tivolovit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 03:34 PM   #116 (Print)
Fezmid

Please help...

I'm going to take the plunge on this deal. I'm ready to start finishing my basement, so need to get the extra cables run from the dish before I drywall the walls/ceiling.

My question is, what exactly do I need to ask for when I call?

My current setup is a single round dish with two cables going from the roof to the basement. From there, it goes into a 2x8 multiswitch (maybe 3x8? Don't recall). The 8 feeds go to each of the 4 main rooms in the house (not including the basement).

So what dish do I need to ask for, and what multiswitch do I need? I know I need them to run a minimum of 2 more cables from the dish to the basement, but want to know if it should be more than 2. Also, I know next to nothing about the OTA antenna -- I'm assuming that would be a third run (for a total of 5 going to the basement?).

Anything else I need to know? I'd like to jump on this today if possible, but don't feel educated enough, and don't have time to do all the research today (I'm afraid the deal will disappear before I get a chance to do it...)

I'm assuming I'll have to pay extra to have them run the cables through the walls -- anyone know the going rate for that?

I feel like I did a few years ago when I got my first DirecTiVo.

Thanks all!

EDIT: As an update, I went to the AntennaWeb site and typed in my zip (54016). I'm 20 miles away from most of the towers, but I'm confused as to why some are yellow and some are lt. green, all for the same network...ie:

yellow - uhf WFTC-DT 21.1 UPN Minneapolis MN 285° 20.1 2
green - uhf WFTC 29 UPN MINNEAPOLIS MN 285° 20.1 29
yellow - uhf KARE-DT 11.1 NBC Minneapolis MN 285° 20.8 35
lt green - vhf KARE 11 NBC MINNEAPOLIS MN 285° 20.8 11

Not all of the networks are in both lists either.... What is this?
/EDIT

CW

Last edited by Fezmid : 01-07-2004 at 03:45 PM.
Fezmid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 04:13 PM   #117 (Print)
Hemi

exdishnet,

What do you mean by 'cable'? The receiver only accepts DirecTV and/or Over-The-Air (OTA) signals, not cable.

I would jump on this deal in a heartbeat if I only had an HDTV!

Dan

(just add 241 to my post count...)
Hemi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 04:22 PM   #118 (Print)
Vin

Quote:
I would jump on this deal in a heartbeat if I only had an HDTV!

Same here! I'm working on that though......do you know anyone who wants to buy a 60" analog set? I'm willing to deal!

Vin
Vin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 04:23 PM   #119 (Print)
lt3671

$99 HD Offer

Has a expiration date been mentioned for the $99 offer? I see they extended the $399 package thru April, has anyone heard of an end-date. I won't be ready for a few weeks to take them up on their offer.
lt3671 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 04:35 PM   #120 (Print)
Ken984

Re: Please help...

Quote:
Originally posted by Fezmid
I'm going to take the plunge on this deal. I'm ready to start finishing my basement, so need to get the extra cables run from the dish before I drywall the walls/ceiling.

My question is, what exactly do I need to ask for when I call?

My current setup is a single round dish with two cables going from the roof to the basement. From there, it goes into a 2x8 multiswitch (maybe 3x8? Don't recall). The 8 feeds go to each of the 4 main rooms in the house (not including the basement).

So what dish do I need to ask for, and what multiswitch do I need? I know I need them to run a minimum of 2 more cables from the dish to the basement, but want to know if it should be more than 2. Also, I know next to nothing about the OTA antenna -- I'm assuming that would be a third run (for a total of 5 going to the basement?).

Anything else I need to know? I'd like to jump on this today if possible, but don't feel educated enough, and don't have time to do all the research today (I'm afraid the deal will disappear before I get a chance to do it...)

I'm assuming I'll have to pay extra to have them run the cables through the walls -- anyone know the going rate for that?

I feel like I did a few years ago when I got my first DirecTiVo.

Thanks all!

EDIT: As an update, I went to the AntennaWeb site and typed in my zip (54016). I'm 20 miles away from most of the towers, but I'm confused as to why some are yellow and some are lt. green, all for the same network...ie:

yellow - uhf WFTC-DT 21.1 UPN Minneapolis MN 285° 20.1 2
green - uhf WFTC 29 UPN MINNEAPOLIS MN 285° 20.1 29
yellow - uhf KARE-DT 11.1 NBC Minneapolis MN 285° 20.8 35
lt green - vhf KARE 11 NBC MINNEAPOLIS MN 285° 20.8 11

Not all of the networks are in both lists either.... What is this?
/EDIT

CW

Fezmid the yellow stations are Digital the green are analog.
Ken984 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post