July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-07-2004, 05:56 PM   #151 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
The Bird, I respectfully disagree. To me it sounds like the set top box manufacturers were paying Gemstar-TV Guide a per box fee for infringing upon their patent on a spreadsheet ( ), whereas now DirecTV will pay Gemstar a monthly fee for infringing upon their patent on a spreadsheet ( )

I agree with ewolfr that it doesn't look like their guide supplier is necessarily changing.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:22 PM   #152 (Print)
djbrown

Quote:
Originally posted by drew2k
Has anyone heard from TiVoOpsMgr lately? We know the problem was experienced as early as 12/25 and TiVo first ackowledged the problem on 12/31, but there hasn't been much of the way in official comments lately. I know CES may be occupying much of TiVo's time, but I was really hoping for SOMEONE from TiVo to post an update...

A just got an email from him, regarding my problem of a very small subset of shows residing in the index:

Sorry to say no one else has reported any similar symptoms or given
us any TiVo Service Numbers to analyze.

He also STRONGLY encouraged folks with the wiped out program guide data/index problem (empty season passes) to email him their tivo service # to estephen@tivo.com

They need logs to examine, and they can't get them w/o service #s.

Last edited by djbrown : 01-07-2004 at 07:16 PM.
djbrown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 08:18 PM   #153 (Print)
newsposter
Poster of News

Quote:
Has anyone heard from TiVoOpsMgr lately? (

Had to make a comment because I just found this thread. If we have such a high level official tivo expert on here, I think we are pretty lucky. I hope to hear more from them and while I realize every complaint can't be addressed, it's still a great thing to have as a resource.

Hopefully the sluggishness will disappear just like the CC problem

ever the optimist

retired (must watch though) Sony T60 2-160 drives
Panasonic E80 Dvd recorder

“Be yourself, it’s easier isn’t it?”
newsposter is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2004, 11:04 PM   #154 (Print)
trainman
Man of Trains

Send a message via AIM to trainman
Quote:
Originally posted by The Bird
FThis sounds like DTV was using Gemstar-TV Guide but the set-top box suppliers were paying for it now DTV will. It doesn't sound like this change would affect the delivery of the content.

I thought Tribune supplied the guide data for SA TiVo's and DTiVo's always used DTV's guide data.

True, but Tribune supplies the guide data to DirecTV (and DirecTV then, uh, "massages" it before sending it out). The giveaway is that program descriptions in DirecTV's guide data are nearly identical to the ones in my local newspaper's TV listings, which are also provided by Tribune. (Actually, some descriptions are exactly identical, and some only have a passing similarity...I think Tribune gives newspapers a few different descriptions of varying lengths for each show, which they can pick and choose according to how much space they have.)

Old 01-08-2004, 01:34 AM   #155 (Print)
PeteB

Tivo Service??

Ok, I just had to register and state my disgust with what I see in this forum. Everyone thanking Tivoops Manager for answering 1 question??? What ever happened to customer service?? Everyone on this forum should continue to call the TIVO help line until they get answers. Then Tivo would realize it is a lot easier to have a full time person assigned to this forum and answer ALL of our questions just once, instead of many times individually.

START CALLING!!!!!
PeteB is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 02:28 AM   #156 (Print)
Cajonkev
PIBCAK

TiVoOpsMgr

Well, as I have the aforementioned indexing issue with both my units and have for over two years I just sent him my service numbers and history.

I also chatted with DTV support tonight to ad my name to the list on the "Acquiring" issue and after the obligatory apology and "we are aware and working on it" recevied the offer of 3 months Showtime as others have as well. I really don't mind paying for what I watch. I just would like all of this fixed.

And with that, one of my DSR6000 fans died tonight to add insult to injury so I think I will go to bed and order one in the morning...
Cajonkev is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 02:37 AM   #157 (Print)
justapixel

Just found this thread.

I had a power outage over a week ago and thought that message was related to that. But, the new season has started and I've missed a couple of shows due to this. It is not merely cosmetic. I cannot find the Gilmore Girls, nor American Idol.

I'm not very happy.

Ann Gets Fit
justapixel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 05:38 AM   #158 (Print)
stim

Quote:
Quote from http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/about...?id=12_02_2003A

El Segundo, CA Dec 2, 2003 Gemstar-TV Guide International, Inc. (NASDAQ:GMST) and DIRECTV, Inc. today announced a licensing and distribution agreement for DIRECTV to utilize Gemstar-TV Guide's intellectual property and technology, as well as its TV Guide brand, in interactive program guides ("IPGs") across its subscriber base. The agreement provides DIRECTV with a patent license that allows DIRECTV to use Gemstar-TV Guide intellectual property and technology in its own IPG or in alternative IPG products supplied to it by its vendors, beginning in January 2004.
stim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 06:50 AM   #159 (Print)
bengalfreak

Re: I Lost Locals

Quote:
Originally posted by packerowner
This whole process took about 25 minutes and I was unable to watch the NFL game. Luckily for me, it wasn’t my game and it wasn't much of a game. If this had happened during the Green Bay-Seattle Overtime… that would not have been good.

Off topic here. Record your favorite team's game on two seperate Tivos if you have them and don't start watching until at least an hour in. That way, you won't have to deal with commercials and are protected from your individual Tivo crapping out.

Oh yeah, don't forget to pad the recording for at least an hour and a half.

Old 01-08-2004, 06:57 AM   #160 (Print)
llurgy
Yorkshire Lass

Re: Tivo Service??

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteB
Ok, I just had to register and state my disgust with what I see in this forum. Everyone thanking Tivoops Manager for answering 1 question??? What ever happened to customer service?? Everyone on this forum should continue to call the TIVO help line until they get answers. Then Tivo would realize it is a lot easier to have a full time person assigned to this forum and answer ALL of our questions just once, instead of many times individually.

START CALLING!!!!!

PeteB,
What you maybe wont realise yet, as you have only just joined this board is that TiVoOpsMgr 'isn't on this board in an OFFICIAL capacity, he is just a member like you or I whom co-incidently works for TiVo and sometimes, when he is able he will give us the unofficial/official lowdown about what is going on.
He doesnt have to do this - most of us are grateful he does this!
He is NOT TiVo customer service on this board. TiVo doesnt have custumoer service on this board.
For the record - Loads of people have already called customer services, ''DirectTV'' customer services, not TiVo customer services, as this is a DirectTV problem, not a TiVo problem!!

Mandy
llurgy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 09:37 AM   #161 (Print)
emayracing
TiVo-holic

Time for a good news post (at least good news for me) - maybe it is a sign that things are getting fixed.

I still have the "acquiring" message. HOWEVER, I now have Guide data through 1/21/04 - which is pretty far out, and about what I'd expect.

After being stuck at 1/12/04 since this issue, I am happy to see that something has been resolved, somewhere.

Note : I did nothing to cause this to fix - I went home yesterday and the guide was updated.

It seems like they are fixing it.

Here's to hoping the rest of you begin seeing improvements right away as well!!

Even with this minor setback - I still can't imagine TV without TiVo - how did the world do it for the past 50 years????

All Equipment Purchased from Tweeter (then United Audio)
All Equipment Installed by Tweeter
emayracing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 09:43 AM   #162 (Print)
djbrown

Quote:
Originally posted by justapixel
Just found this thread.

I had a power outage over a week ago and thought that message was related to that. But, the new season has started and I've missed a couple of shows due to this. It is not merely cosmetic. I cannot find the Gilmore Girls, nor American Idol.

I'm not very happy.

When did you miss Gilmore Girls? It was a repeat this past Tuesday (1/6, "Ted Koppell's Big Night Out"), and is NOT one next Tuesday at all. The next airing is the 20th.

Can't speak for Amnerican Idol, but pretty sure it starts on the 19th. That's a date that MIGHT be just out of the upcoming program window for some channels.

Possible explanations for those two shows at least. Dunno.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:52 AM   #163 (Print)
bcushman

Quote:
Originally posted by mightyb
I still have guide data (out to 1/19 as of last night), BUT, operation has become SLOW and SLUGGISH.

Same problem here - no problem with program data, but I am really getting aggrated with the slowness of the system. When scrolling down, it takes up to 2 seconds before the change takes effect.

R10
Outlaw 1050
Mitsubishi 55 inch TV
Harmony 659 & 680
Channel Master 4228
bcushman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 10:31 AM   #164 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

My DSR6000 got this problem yesterday, but for me it is indeed cosmetic - no problem with guide data or menu speed.

Now if only the same attention paid to this cosmetic problem was applied to the real, function-imparing problem of the channels list being deleted on a sporadic basis....

Old 01-08-2004, 12:51 PM   #165 (Print)
ratbrain

i have been following this thread with great interest as i too have noticed the "acquiring program info msg" on the pick programs to record menu. however, until last night, it seemed to be a cosmetic inconvenience. however, last night as i finished watching the laker game when i went back to live tv, i could not change the channel!!!!???!? at first i thought it was the remote, but that was quickly ruled out as i could still mute and adjust volume with the remote. however, i could not go back into the tivo menu or change channels for about 1/2 hour. i've been following this thread and realized some have been experiencing functional problems along with the cosmetic msg and i too wanted to share my problem, as this has been truely the first functional problem i've ever encountered since having tivo.
ratbrain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 01:12 PM   #166 (Print)
Semarin

Send a message via ICQ to Semarin
Last night my season pass didn't record a few shows it was supposed to. I checked the recording history and it said something about they didn't record because they were removed from the program guide? What the heck, has anyone else had this happen to them? I guess I gotta babysit it to make sure it's recording everything until they get this program guide data message fixed. Wonderful......

I called DirecTV and they were as clueless as can be by the way. They just said the aquiring program guide message is being worked on blah blah blah.
Semarin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 01:56 PM   #167 (Print)
Zigggy

my season pass for speed racer and Jonny Quest didn't record. I set then up after I started seeing the "aquiring data" message. The old season passes seem to work (passes that were set prior to the aquiring message)
Zigggy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #168 (Print)
Semarin

Send a message via ICQ to Semarin
My season passes that didn't record last night, were older season passes that have been in there for quite sometime. I've never had a problem with season passes not recording in the years I've been using this thing, until last night....
Semarin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 02:04 PM   #169 (Print)
djbrown

Those who are having season pass problems need to send their Tivo service # to TivoOpsMgr.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:15 PM   #170 (Print)
Skittles
Vegas, here I come!

Send a message via AIM to Skittles Send a message via Yahoo to Skittles
Quote:
Originally posted by justapixel
I didn't have this in my upcoming programs list until this morning. However, I went searching for it using the "search by date/time/channel" function (TiVo -> 5 on the remote) and looking up Fox on the 19th.

Old 01-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #171 (Print)
justapixel

Okay, here is an update from me:

Last night I noticed that the Gilmore Girls had not recorded. I thought that the new one had started, so I checked the "To Do" list and it said it had not recorded because it was not in the program guide. Then I tried to find Idol, and couldn't see it. I rebooted for the heck of it, posted here, and then emailed TiVoOpsMgr, and went to bed, it was late.

This morning, I discovered that the Gilmore Girls was still in re-run, so I didn't miss it. I record first run only. However, doing a Search by Title did not find it; I checked my Season Passes and it says No Upcoming Shows. That's a bit odd since it IS in re-run and I should see episodes even if I am not recording them, but I have not missed anything.

This morning, I checked for Idol again, and I could see it. However, when I hit "select" to record it, it threw me back to the Pick Programs to Record screen. I did it twice more and the same thing happened. I tried again about 15 minutes later, and this time I was able to record it and add it as a season pass.

To me, it does now seem to be just very slow in acquiring guide data and not really affecting what I record. I think I'll go change my SP to The Gilmore Girls to "record all" instead of just first runs, and find out if I can see them. First though, I'm going to make sure they are actually re-running them in my city instead of putting something else in that slot.

If they are not, then I'm not really experiencing a problem. Except seeing the message, which is slightly annoying but not a major deal.

Ann Gets Fit
justapixel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 04:58 PM   #172 (Print)
dd9

I'd like to know what the big deal is at DTV that they can't just BACK OUT whatever change they introduced to cause this problem in the first place !!

dd9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 05:19 PM   #173 (Print)
David Platt
Large Ebony Rooster

Send a message via AIM to David Platt
Ann,

It doesn't look like there are any upcoming Gilmore Girls episodes, so you're okay there.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:54 PM   #174 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Quote:
Originally posted by dd9
I'd like to know what the big deal is at DTV that they can't just BACK OUT whatever change they introduced to cause this problem in the first place !!
I suspect (considering the "problem" seems to be actually a wide range of problems that affects different systems differently) they're probably having trouble figuring out exactly which changes are causing which effects!

Old 01-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #175 (Print)
drew2k
!revetahW

So here's a question, then: What could TiVo and/or DirecTV have done differently in the last 15 days that affected our boxes in such a fashion? We haven't received new software, as the version hasn't changed. Or would they ever send software updates, even what they consider trivial, without changing the version number?

I know the guide data comes through the satellite on a daily basis, but I don't know if it was in a continuous stream trickling in throughout the day, or in bursts of data.

I was never sure what is downloaded to the TiVos through the daily phone calls. I know one call actually SENDS info to TiVo, but the other call receives data, and if you force a call you can see it being loaded afterward. What is the data downloaded in calls?

I also know Showcase info is "downloaded" off of the piggybacked signals usually on Channel 582 or Discovery, right?

So what changed? If the guide data stream changed from burst to trickle, that could maybe explain the slowdown, but I'm at a loss to guess beyond this. Have any of you TiVo hackers out there taken a look under the hood to figure out what changed in the last 15 days?

Old 01-08-2004, 06:14 PM   #176 (Print)
Flogduh
Filling in for OTTO

Re: Tivo Service??

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteB

START CALLING!!!!!

Nice first post, Pete...Disgust?, Come on, man. As llurgy indicated, TiVoOps isn't here in a formal capacity. This isn't a TiVo owned/operated board..

"Color me NUTS - wait, watch where you're puttin' them paws" - Flogduh
Flogduh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 06:18 PM   #177 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
I vaguely recall seeing program guide data log info in some file, and it looks like it trickles and is incorporated into the database on the receiver continuously (or in bursts).
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 06:27 PM   #178 (Print)
HarryD

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by emayracing
I still have the "acquiring" message. HOWEVER, I now have Guide data through 1/21/04 - which is pretty far out, and about what I'd expect.

I rebooted today but it still shows guide data good to Jan 8th. It's not affecting any other functions though.

The only thing other than the Gemstar Guide is the disconnecting of WINK.

Philips DSR7000 @ 105 hours

Last edited by HarryD : 01-08-2004 at 08:22 PM.
HarryD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 07:20 PM   #179 (Print)
barclay
Dissenting Pebble

Quote:
So here's a question, then: What could TiVo and/or DirecTV have done differently in the last 15 days that affected our boxes in such a fashion?

Some people are guesing that DirecTV's move to Gemstar is what's causing the problems. I suppose it makes sense, a large change the the guide data could cause problems processing the guide data.
barclay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 08:01 PM   #180 (Print)
aristoBrat

My votes with something being hosed with the Guide data.

After having the problem last week, this Monday I reimaged both of my HDVR2s (again) with the stock Series 2 Stand-Alone 4.0 image. Other than the initial call, neither box has made a call (either over the landline or network). As of tonight, both boxes are displaying the message. Unless these boxes pulled a software update over the satellite (in my dreams), or the little TiVo guy snuck into my house, these boxes are stock.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post