July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-07-2004, 02:45 AM   #91 (Print)
TeeSee
Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!

Send a message via Yahoo to TeeSee
I got 'd' on one machine a couple of days ago and on the other earlier today. The only thing I've noticed is a few new channel logos, but nothing else positive or negative.

Old 10-07-2004, 05:55 AM   #92 (Print)
rickm

Got it last night.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:37 AM   #93 (Print)
sbursik

I got the update and now I get the "Searching for sat. signal" on tuner #2.

Is there a way to fix it? I tried the automatic sat. detection and that didnt work. I have only had my system installed for about 4 months so this really torks me that a software update broke it.

ScottB

sbursik is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 07:40 AM   #94 (Print)
LlamaLarry
Lookin At Your Lumps

Send a message via AIM to LlamaLarry
No problems with D on my Philips so far. Terk BMS58 MS. BTW, I have a round dish, I see that that seems to be the real issue.

Last edited by LlamaLarry : 10-07-2004 at 08:36 AM.
LlamaLarry is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 08:26 AM   #95 (Print)
kenrosen

I got the d upgrade on my DVR40 and input 2 is now dead.
kenrosen is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 08:35 AM   #96 (Print)
Trebor1

I have been reading this thread and have decided to error on the side of caution and disconnect my phone line until this is resolved.From what i understand from reading here,the download comes from the sat. and the implementation to the TIVO is over the phone.Is this a correct understanding of this and will this prevent my upgrade to D?
Trebor1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 08:37 AM   #97 (Print)
sbursik

Angry

How can they do this? I have read on other threads that D* support acts like its our problem and not theirs. I just cant wait to get on the phone with them when I get home. I read in another post that some people have had some success with swapping the input cables on the back of the unit. Dont know how that helps but several people claim it does.

I feel sorry for the D* Tivo owners that dont read the forums. They have no idea what is about to hit them. I wonder how many are going to end up paying for service calls to get the problem fixed?

ScottB

Old 10-07-2004, 08:38 AM   #98 (Print)
rokkett

Just some quick info. I forced the call two nights ago and then reset my system when I saw the "restart pending" message. After loading the 3.1.1d code, my system lost the odd transponders on SAT 101 for the second input only. After kicking myself for forcing the call, I came to here and saw others where having similar problems. I went up into the attic to check my multi-switch, and found a ZINWELL SAM - 4803. Dug through my stash of odds and ends, found my TERK 5x8 and swapped them out. The probelm is now gone. So it looks like the upgrade is fine, but the new signaling is not compatible with some of the multi-swiches out there. Hope this info helps someone get the right fix - swapping the receivers is probably not the right answer....
rokkett is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 08:44 AM   #99 (Print)
sbursik

If it is the multiswitch where does that leave us? D* more than likely won't admit to it. So are we expected to purchase a new switch? Sounds to me like D* didn't test the software update on the available hardware out there. Since a D* authorized installed hooked my system up and supplied the switch, D* should have tested with the hardware that the installers use.

ScottB

Old 10-07-2004, 08:52 AM   #100 (Print)
kenrosen

Just got off the phone with tech support. I was told it only affects Phillips Boxes, I have a DVR40 that died. The support person said they had no plans right now to fix the software, they offered me a replacement box. They would also require me to return the old unit. For me that is a problem because my unit is hacked.
Old 10-07-2004, 08:57 AM   #101 (Print)
sbursik

Well my box isnt a Phillips. I have the Huges SD-DVR 40 and I don't think that replacing the box is the fix unless they have a different software version on it.

ScottB

Old 10-07-2004, 09:03 AM   #102 (Print)
kenrosen

Quote:
Originally posted by kenrosen
Just got off the phone with tech support. I was told it only affects Phillips Boxes, I have a DVR40 that died. The support person said they had no plans right now to fix the software, they offered me a replacement box. They would also require me to return the old unit. For me that is a problem because my unit is hacked.

Opps mine is a Phillips DSR704

Last edited by kenrosen : 10-07-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:04 AM   #103 (Print)
kenrosen

Quote:
Originally posted by sbursik
Well my box isnt a Phillips. I have the Huges SD-DVR 40 and I don't think that replacing the box is the fix unless they have a different software version on it.

ScottB

I guess you can't trust the information you get from tech support.
Old 10-07-2004, 09:20 AM   #104 (Print)
gobiewankenobi
MayTheTivoBeWithYou!

I had the message to "Make daily call soon" on my machine last night. Made the call, downloaded "d" update, restarted, and everything came up fine.
I have a Phillips DSR7000 and only have the integrated multiswitch on the dish.
I'll repost if I do encounter problems.
gobiewankenobi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 11:14 AM   #105 (Print)
wyatt9696

got"d" on both my machines about 2 hours ago. all went well, all sats good, all trans. good. so far so good. HDVR2, and Samsung 4040(35hr) units. i have not noticed any changes, or problems as of yet.

H20
wyatt9696 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 11:27 AM   #106 (Print)
Michael R
Major

The PerfectVision PVDTV3x4 multi-switch works perfectly with my D version software. This multi-switch is not compatable with Directv Plus dishes that have two dual LNB's.

http://www.starlink-dss.com/multiswitch.htm

Michael R is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 11:57 AM   #107 (Print)
Indiana627

Can we narrow down the MS problem to built-ins vs. separate switches? My dish has a built-in but I have not gotten D yet. I'm wondering if the problem could have only to do with stand along switches? Just a thought.

(1) Hughes SD-DVR80
(1) Hughes GAEBOA
DTV customer since January 2003
Indiana627 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 12:26 PM   #108 (Print)
Reed

I went in to the attic and bypassed the Zinwell 4x8 SAM-4803 multiswitch. Input #2 with odd transponders works with the cables run straight to the Tripple LNB's 4 outputs.

So if you have this multiswitch and your lucky enough not to have received the "D" download, I'd unplug your phone line until this problem is resolved.

If your lines run straight to the dish's internal multiswitch there does not appear to be a problem with the "D" software.
Reed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 12:52 PM   #109 (Print)
gymratz

Can anyone else confirm that bypassing the multiswitch has worked to solve their problem after the software d upgrade?
gymratz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 01:33 PM   #110 (Print)
TeeSee
Tiiin ROOF. Rusted!

Send a message via Yahoo to TeeSee
Quote:
Originally posted by Trebor1
I have been reading this thread and have decided to error on the side of caution and disconnect my phone line until this is resolved.From what i understand from reading here,the download comes from the sat. and the implementation to the TIVO is over the phone.Is this a correct understanding of this and will this prevent my upgrade to D?

The download comes over the phone. Disconnecting the phone line will prevent you from receiving the upgrade.

Old 10-07-2004, 01:51 PM   #111 (Print)
lew

Quote:
Originally posted by TeeSee
The download comes over the phone. Disconnecting the phone line will prevent you from receiving the upgrade.

The software download comes from the sat. The install instructions, currently, comes over the phone. Disconnecting the phone line will, currently, prevent your unit from installing the update.
lew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 03:46 PM   #112 (Print)
robertogag
Roberto Garcia

Quote:
Originally posted by Reed

So if you have this multiswitch and your lucky enough not to have received the "D" download, I'd unplug your phone line until this problem is resolved.

If your lines run straight to the dish's internal multiswitch there does not appear to be a problem with the "D" software.

I don't have the multiswitch and I lost the 101 - odd transponders this morning

robertogag is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 03:47 PM   #113 (Print)
SteelersFan

I had the same "Searching for Sat In 2" problem after getting d last night on my Phillips DSR7000. I have a Zinwell 4x8 SAM-4803 multiswitch as well. I took it out of the loop and... Poof, the problem diappeared. If anyone has any luck getting DirecTV to pay and install a new MS let us know. I think I will call them myself and give it a shot. This sucks because I was just about to connect the second line of my DSR 704, but now have nothing to connect it to!
BTW, I have a Phase III dish.

SIR-S4080R (BR)
DVR80 - (BR)
SD-DVR40 - (Office)
All Zippered!

Last edited by SteelersFan : 10-07-2004 at 04:02 PM.
SteelersFan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 03:47 PM   #114 (Print)
buist

I still had the issue directly connected to the Phase III dish (without re-running the satellite setup/detection).. Re-running the satellite detection seemed to fix the issue, though. Moving back to my Eagle 4x8 switch, I still have the issue (although if I don't re-run the satellite setup, 1 tuner seems to work on 119)..

I would like to know if anyone with a Diseqc switch is having an issue (and if a 22khz tone generator can be used with the switch to select 119)..

Tim
buist is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 04:16 PM   #115 (Print)
naldoron

I don't know if this has been said but this is another dreaded glitch only worse when we had the b version. I have a Hughes and have no problems, but this begs the question -- doesn't anyone test this crap before sending out an "upgrade" to the software?
naldoron is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 04:30 PM   #116 (Print)
Michael R
Major

Could it be that DTiVo's, if any, that don't have APG (Advanced Program Guide) built-in and are not capable of switching to 72.5 are the receivers that are SOL with "D"?

(deleted list of DTiVo's with APG - it may not be relevant since our investigation seems to be focused mainly on multi-switch brands)

Last edited by Michael R : 10-07-2004 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:34 PM   #117 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by SteelersFan
I had the same "Searching for Sat In 2" problem after getting d last night on my Phillips DSR7000. I have a Zinwell 4x8 SAM-4803 multiswitch as well. I took it out of the loop and... Poof, the problem diappeared. If anyone has any luck getting DirecTV to pay and install a new MS let us know. I think I will call them myself and give it a shot. This sucks because I was just about to connect the second line of my DSR 704, but now have nothing to connect it to!
BTW, I have a Phase III dish.
Someone also said they had a Zinwell multiswitch. It sounds like the Zinwell does not handle the DiSEqC signals properly. The DiSEqC signals are on top of the 22 kHz tone. You could possibly reconfigure your DirecTiVo for a dual LNB round dish and not have the problem with the multiswitch. You would only be able to see the 101 satellite with this setup.

I wonder if DirecTV is having any problems with non-DirecTiVo receivers also.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #118 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael R
Could it be that DTiVo's that don't have APG (Advanced Program Guide) built-in and are not capable of switching to 72.5 are the receivers that are SOL with "D"?
I'm not sure what you mean by not having APG builtin. All the program guide information comes off the 101 satellite. Your list you posted is just a list of DVRs. It seems like this could be a multiswitch compatablity problem and actually not a software bug.

Old 10-07-2004, 04:39 PM   #119 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by naldoron
I don't know if this has been said but this is another dreaded glitch only worse when we had the b version. I have a Hughes and have no problems, but this begs the question -- doesn't anyone test this crap before sending out an "upgrade" to the software?
It could be a multiswitch compatablity problem. They most likely only tested it on DirecTV approved multiswitches.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-07-2004, 04:56 PM   #120 (Print)
Michael R
Major

Could some DTiVo's have been permanently fried with "D"? I hope everybody in this forum doesn't even want to go there.