July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-05-2004, 12:40 PM   #61 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by joeysmith
weaknees is running their own sale for $99 but you get a 70 hr unit and not the 40 hour one. i'm getting one but now have to do a cable run for the second receiver in the unit...

And the identifies my issue with adding the 3rd TiVo. I'm looking at other options that are great deals. But so far only the DirecTV deal includes installation. I don't need the cabling, I'll do that myself. But I need a multi-switch upgrade. From above posts, if I choose this deal that will be included.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 07:22 PM   #62 (Print)
DallasTIVO

Re: Ok, great, but....

Quote:
Originally posted by hawkbug
Question: let's say you did this, and are perfectly happy with the current video quality... then along comes Mr. FCC and they mandate that HDTV has to be broadcast and everybody with a standard receiver, DVRs included like these, must upgrade. Didn't the FCC already pass a mandate such as this, and what wil happen to tivos like these once this happens??

The analog broadcast cutoff doesn't apply to satellite or cable.
DallasTIVO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-05-2004, 07:50 PM   #63 (Print)
lew

I just got a Philips 708 with this deal. Directv may be starting to run out of the smaller units.
lew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 09:36 AM   #64 (Print)
jp1973

I am the newbie here. After hearing so much, I finally called DirecTV on Thursday. The lady on the phone mentioned the $49 deal with free install. But when she pulled up my account and saw that I had been a DirecTv customer since 1999, she waived off the cost of the unit. Don' t know exactly why she did that. So the unit was free, the installation was free and there are no "delivery/taxes" charges so I got the whole thing hooked up and running for free. Of course, there is the $4.99 per month fee and the 1 yr commitment but I don't intend to disconnect my DirecTv anytime soon.

And now I can say "I LOVE TIVO"!!!! My only regret, waiting so long to get it!
jp1973 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 09:47 AM   #65 (Print)
jschuman

Quote:
Originally posted by jp1973
I am the newbie here. After hearing so much, I finally called DirecTV on Thursday. The lady on the phone mentioned the $49 deal with free install. But when she pulled up my account and saw that I had been a DirecTv customer since 1999, she waived off the cost of the unit. Don' t know exactly why she did that. So the unit was free, the installation was free and there are no "delivery/taxes" charges so I got the whole thing hooked up and running for free. Of course, there is the $4.99 per month fee and the 1 yr commitment but I don't intend to disconnect my DirecTv anytime soon.

And now I can say "I LOVE TIVO"!!!! My only regret, waiting so long to get it!

WOW, now THAT is a sweet deal. Just goes to show you how different the "deal" can be based on the CSR you get. I have been a DirecTv customer since 1997 and was offered no such deal (I got the $49 deal).
jschuman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 10:15 AM   #66 (Print)
joeysmith

tried to get in on the deal - they wouldn't guarantee a 70 hr so i stick with weaknees. i just run a new cable next to the old one - the original installers screwed it up anyway and i had to redo it...
joeysmith is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 10:28 AM   #67 (Print)
jp1973

Quote:
Originally posted by Rcrew
And the identifies my issue with adding the 3rd TiVo. I'm looking at other options that are great deals. But so far only the DirecTV deal includes installation. I don't need the cabling, I'll do that myself. But I need a multi-switch upgrade. From above posts, if I choose this deal that will be included.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Yes, the installer included a multiswitch upgrade for my installation (I had 2 LNBs coming in, no multiswitch and I wanted to swap a standard receiver for a DirecTivo unit). In fact, the CSR said that if an additional LNB is required for the installation, it is included free of charge.

I ran the additional RG6 cable myself though since I wanted to go through the basement and up into the family room and the CSR said that fishing a wire may incur "custom" installation charges.
jp1973 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2004, 03:06 PM   #68 (Print)
kdelande
TiVo-Wobble

Thanks for the info on this deal, I just placed an order for one with DTV.

KD

Old 12-06-2004, 05:59 PM   #69 (Print)
squiddog

Thanks guys!

I just called them. It's showing as a $99 deal on the website, but they waive the $50 and so it's still $49.99 if you call in.

Getting it installed this Wednesday, pretty darn quick!

--
Bill
squiddog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 02:04 PM   #70 (Print)
doconner

I called DirecTV on Saturday to order this, and the installer just left. I ended up getting a Samsung S4080 70 hrs and a 3x4 multiswitch.

I was expecting only a 35hr, so the 70hr was a nice surprise, even if I still plan to upgrade.

Duane-O
doconner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 05:13 PM   #71 (Print)
gastric

New DTV customer here. Went through a local installer and got a complete install with a DVR-80 for $75.76 (taxes includes) less a $50 rebate. Had DTV for a week and so far I think the picture/sound is actually better than Time Warner, and the Tivo is wayyyy better than than their DVR box, but the guide lag is nearly unbearable. I have to use a paper TV guide to figure out what I want to watch now. Hopefully the Jan 05 upgrade I've heard about fixes that issue.
gastric is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 05:21 PM   #72 (Print)
janthenat

Quote:
Originally posted by doconner
I called DirecTV on Saturday to order this, and the installer just left. I ended up getting a Samsung S4080 70 hrs and a 3x4 multiswitch.

I was expecting only a 35hr, so the 70hr was a nice surprise, even if I still plan to upgrade.

Duane-O

Is there any way to specify the model you get? I'd like to get the Samsung S4080, or a Philips DSR708 instead of the RCA or Hughes. How did you wind up getting the 80GB model? Luck 'o the draw?

If I can get a 70hr unit for $99 or less with no cost for installation, and I don't have to install it myself, then I'd do it. Where are the details? I need details...
janthenat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 06:46 PM   #73 (Print)
bob330i
just lurking...

From my observations, you don't have any choice if you order directly through DTV. It seems to be a toss up depending on what they have at the wherehouse. The only places where I've seen you can choose is through the board's sponsors but I'm sure there are other places.

Even when I ordered through Solid Signal last summer, I didn't know what I was going to get. Ended up with the Philips 40 hr units which seem to be fine.

Bob

UPDATE: Yay, no more damn A/B cable. two DTivos. I'm lovin' it!
bob330i is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2004, 07:10 PM   #74 (Print)
adambomb6

Did this deal too.....

Just go this deal......AWESOME DEAL......no reason not to add that 2nd or 3rd Tivo now!!!!!

So now I have too tivos, one for living room, one for bedroom.
adambomb6 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-08-2004, 12:15 AM   #75 (Print)
CsrLiz344

Send a message via AIM to CsrLiz344
the same deal...........

as I got earlier. I saw on TV where they had 3 pays of $33, and called to ask about that. She said I could have it for $49, plus tax, or whatever, so I said yes. I think, because of the new ones they have coming out the beginning of the year, they are trying to get rid of what they have. But, if it is a Series 2 that can take the upgrade, I will be happy. I am replacing a standard receiver, that I just got a week ago after locals finally came in, do I need to run cable???

Old 12-10-2004, 08:54 PM   #76 (Print)
odrybenj

Just got this deal....

I bought the DVR80 from BB and I called to see if I could get the rebate. I had to talk the guy into it but he finally gave me a $50 credit. I felt bad I talked a bit loud. But, that's 10 months of $4.99 finally....
They really can give you anything....

odrybenj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2004, 03:41 PM   #77 (Print)
msullivan

I have had nothing but problems trying to redeem this offer. My T60 broke over Thanksgiving so this came just in time...

I had originally placed my order on the friday after thanksgiving and was told today was the first available weekend installation date. I said fine, although this was a major inconvenience.

So today comes, and no installer. Turns out he had an auto accident (that seems to happen frequently with installers in this area, happened to a friend of mine). The next available date (be it weekends or weekdays) is the 28th!! With two kids in the house and the wife, the wife acceptance factor has hit new lows.

I called DirecTV's retention department and they did squat - wouldn't even waive the "shipping and handling fee". I even threatened to explore options with cable and Dish. What's the best course of action to take here? Should I cancel the order, run out to CC or BB and get a $99 model, and demand the $30 difference in price? Has such a move worked for anyone?
msullivan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2004, 07:04 PM   #78 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by msullivan
Should I cancel the order, run out to CC or BB and get a $99 model, and demand the $30 difference in price? Has such a move worked for anyone?

Did you read the post immediately above yours?
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2004, 09:59 PM   #79 (Print)
msullivan

Quote:
Originally posted by Rcrew
Did you read the post immediately above yours?

That's a different situation - I can't plead ignorance about the $50 discount since I already placed the order. I'm simply curious about the best way to approach this - I'm not very good at asking for compensation from a situation like this.
msullivan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2004, 10:50 PM   #80 (Print)
odrybenj

You have to try. I hate to ask for something but it worked eventually. Since you placed the order and they could not come it should be no problem I assume.

odrybenj is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2004, 06:17 PM   #81 (Print)
mjpaci

OK, I called the other day and got this offer. $49 + tax + shipping. Installation included (150 ft of coax, yadda, yadda).

Does installation include a multi-swtich? The rep on the phone said, "yes" but I don't think she'd know a multi-switch if it hit her in the head.

Also, does this include the installer running 2 cables to the new location?

I am a bit confused here.

--mike
mjpaci is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2004, 07:12 PM   #82 (Print)
teasip

I was recently told no with regard to the two cable run, yet I am receiving a four cable run (only from the eve into the attic) with my HDTV package install 12/27. My initial install with which I use as the source of my "no" answer was through CC but was confirmed when I called DTV. DTV is the one handling my HDTV install.....ok I couldn't resist, since posting the original portion of this note I called back and ordered the DirecTiVo as well. It was scheduled as a second appointment on the same day so it will be a sign and go for the installer. $149 for Phase III dish, installation, HD tuner, and DirecTiVo. Not a bad deal. Thanks DirecTv!

Last edited by teasip : 12-12-2004 at 08:25 PM.
teasip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2004, 11:40 PM   #83 (Print)
JohnnyO
Crimper

Thanks for the pointer to this deal! I just ordered via the phone. Install is set for Friday.

This week is my second anniversary of DirecTV and Tivo service. What a nice anniversary present from my friends at DirecTV.

John
JohnnyO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 09:48 AM   #84 (Print)
jschuman

Quote:
Originally posted by mjpaci
Does installation include a multi-swtich? The rep on the phone said, "yes" but I don't think she'd know a multi-switch if it hit her in the head.

Also, does this include the installer running 2 cables to the new location?

Yes and Yes.
jschuman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 12:00 PM   #85 (Print)
jblakers

IF you have one directtivo already

and order another directtivo for the special price $49 +tax and shiping, will they do the free installation on my new directtivo i order and my old one..i want it move to another room?

and if you have two directv tivo , will they charge you 4.99 tivo service for each one?
jblakers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 12:07 PM   #86 (Print)
hyde76

Send a message via Yahoo to hyde76
Yes, they will do the free install for the second one, install as many wires as are needed to make the system work fully and properly in as many rooms as you have receivers and finally, you will only pay an additional charge for adding another receiver, not a new tivo fee. the tivo fee you only pay once. Whew!
hyde76 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 01:50 PM   #87 (Print)
su_A_ve

Quote:
Originally posted by jblakers
IF you have one directtivo already

and order another directtivo for the special price $49 +tax and shiping, will they do the free installation on my new directtivo i order and my old one..i want it move to another room?

and if you have two directv tivo , will they charge you 4.99 tivo service for each one?

a) The install will be free
b) Moving the existing receiver to a new location... Put it this way, if you currently have the DTivo on the LR, but now want the new one on the FR AND the old one on the MB, the answer would be NO. They idea is to replace an existing receiver, and then move the old one to a different location. That would be free

c) The Tivo Service fee is $4.99 for the whole account, regardless of how many DTivos you have. (Waived with Premium package). The additional DTivo receiver would incurr the $4.99 additional receiver fee though.
su_A_ve is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 02:16 PM   #88 (Print)
ralphyboy

Newbie to the Tivo world so please excuse my ignorance. I'm looking to take advantage of this deal and get 2 Tivo's for my house. My questions are:

1. It will only be $4.99/month for the Tivo service, no matter how many I have, right? I only have the Total Choice Plus pkg.

2. I understand they will run the additional lines for free, but is it absolutely necessary for a phone connection? If so, are there any wireless phone connectors I could use, or that anyone recommends?

3. If I have 2 Tivo's in the same household, can they send programs to one another?

Thanks for any help.

Tony
ralphyboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #89 (Print)
jblakers

Quote:
Originally posted by su_A_ve
a) The install will be free
b) Moving the existing receiver to a new location... Put it this way, if you currently have the DTivo on the LR, but now want the new one on the FR AND the old one on the MB, the answer would be NO. They idea is to replace an existing receiver, and then move the old one to a different location. That would be free

c) The Tivo Service fee is $4.99 for the whole account, regardless of how many DTivos you have. (Waived with Premium package). The additional DTivo receiver would incurr the $4.99 additional receiver fee though.

what is LR, FR and MB?

as of now i have one regular receiver and one directv tivo receiver....i just want to get another direct tivo and replace my regular receiver with it.....

will i get the direct tivo deal for $49 plus tax and shipping? and will they install it for free and my other directtivo i have..just wan to move it to another place in the house?
jblakers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2004, 02:51 PM   #90 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Originally posted by jblakers
what is LR, FR and MB?

as of now i have one regular receiver and one directv tivo receiver....i just want to get another direct tivo and replace my regular receiver with it.....

will i get the direct tivo deal for $49 plus tax and shipping? and will they install it for free and my other directtivo i have..just wan to move it to another place in the house?
Living Rroom, Family Room, and Master Bedroom.

The installation includes pulling cables and setup for the new TiVo, wherever you put it. If you want to move the displaced receiver to another room, they will pull cable for that too. They will not deal with your old TiVo at all. The best thing for you to do would be to have the old receiver moved to the third room and pay the installer extra for an additional line to that room then move the second TiVo there yourself.
Athenian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post