July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #61 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kr88
NYC....Got it today on one box....the other did not....forced both calls...

Cool -- you can do a speed comparison test for everyone.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 12:07 PM   #62 (Print)
dbett
Hmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk
3.1.1d was a huge problem for DirecTV. It had problems "overdriving" certain multiswitch setups and many people had problems. DirecTV solution at the time was to replace the box which is very expensive for them. Replacing the box did not solve the problem. 3.1.1e was quickly rolled out to address the problems with 3.1.1d. I am glad they waited this time and did proper testing.

Now that was a fun upgrade. Although I did get a free Series 2 box out of it - and a few quotes in the CNET article about it.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:49 PM   #63 (Print)
Philly Bill
Outsider :)

Send a message via AIM to Philly Bill Send a message via Yahoo to Philly Bill
Ok... now when one of you guys who got the upgrade tries to replace their small HD with a 300GB drive, make sure you tell us how to do it.. lol.

Just drop it in? Doubt it huh? :fingers crossed:
Philly Bill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 12:53 PM   #64 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kturcotte
Is there any sort of order that they're doing the updates? Older/first receivers activated get it first, newer receivers get it first, or is it just completely random?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...4&&#post2869144

Sometimes they do have a priority list but I have not seen one this time.

Old 05-17-2005, 01:15 PM   #65 (Print)
cowboys2002

My HDVR2 received the upgrade 2 days after receiving a card in the mail MONTHS ago.

My Phillips 708 (4 months old) has not yet.

What is really interesting (at least to me!) is that the HDVR2 has receivd 2-3 messages over the past 2 months annoucing the upgrade. This was followed by another card in the mail. As of this morning (forced calls and 2 resets) on the Phillips 708, I have yet to receive the upgrade. I 'like' the folders, but the wife is indifferent about them. The newer unit is mine, and I would really like to sort my shows into folder.

Impatiently waiting.....
cowboys2002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 01:56 PM   #66 (Print)
DeDondeEs

Can anyone estimate a time that the update was pushed across the satellite? Here in LV, I had a series of power-outages yesterday afternoon due to wind, so I hope it didn't mess up the DL. I would think they would do the push overnight to take advantage of more bandwidth? I am amazed to see that the upgrade started when they said they would, I was concerned when they just said May 16th on the card without putting a year :-). I think the idea of slow rollout is good from a QA standpoint.
DeDondeEs is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:08 PM   #67 (Print)
bpayne
Time Shifting Fool

In response to all the people who take issue with the fact that some people are getting the 6.2 update while they themselves have not, there is some reasoning as to why this is occurring.

I just got off a conference call with DirecTV and they mentioned that they are only spooling to 100,000 boxes a day. I believe there is a clear distinction here as this does not mean 100,000 accounts. It's going to take some time before every S2 Tivo in circulation gets the patch.
bpayne is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:11 PM   #68 (Print)
justapixel

Attention:

Will you people STOP forcing calls?

I keep getting "modem handshake failure."

Get off the line, it's MY turn.

Ann Gets Fit
justapixel is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:19 PM   #69 (Print)
Rich Peterson
AVS Press

Quote:
Don't forget about the HR10-250's. It's looking like we will never see it.

I was told by DIRECTV insiders at CES that the HR10-250s would be getting the update. They had it running on an HR10-250 and several of us saw it there. I think there is a good chance it will be here soon.

Of course, they also told me the rollout would be starting in early February....

Old 05-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #70 (Print)
kr88

I did notice a slight increase in speed with the upgrade. I am using the Hughe SD-DVR80. I did notice an oddity with the folders. When I enabled the folders, All of my Starz on Demand Movies were located in a folder called Kill Bill vol 1. The funny thing is I don't have that movie saved on my system, it was deleted before the 6.2 upgrade. I have reset thumbs ratings and suggestions since the upgrade also. I have even forced a call with the 6.2 to see what happens....Kill Bill Folder is still there with movies inside.

Now I need to know how to Kill Bill.....lol
kr88 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:32 PM   #71 (Print)
DVRaholic
HR10-250 Junkie

Quote:
I did notice an oddity with the folders. When I enabled the folders, All of my Starz on Demand Movies were located in a folder called Kill Bill vol 1. The funny thing is I don't have that movie saved on my system, it was deleted before the 6.2 upgrade. I have reset thumbs ratings and suggestions since the upgrade also. I have even forced a call with the 6.2 to see what happens....Kill Bill Folder is still there with movies inside.

Now I need to know how to Kill Bill.....lol

I have the same problem, notice the picture, 2nd to last entry on the Bottom...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 006.jpg (89.7 KB, 290 views)

2-Cable SA-8300 HD-Dvr's
(Upgraded via Plug-n-Play
External SATA to 70 hrs HD)

Sony KDF-50-WE655 RP LCD
Sony 34-XBR-910
DVRaholic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:37 PM   #72 (Print)
ddobson

I think the people who are experiencing the real speed issues have added drives to their systems. My DSR708's (stock and 70 hours) are ok, not too slow unless I re-arrange season passes or sometlhing, which I wish it could do in the background or the middle of the night...

I have a DVR40 that I added a 160gig drive to. It's extremely slow on EVERYTHING but it's basically the same machine as the others. All series 2 systems. Now Playing list takes a few seconds on all of the 708's but on the DVR40 with 157 hours, it sometimes takes 2 to 3 minutes. Doing anything is very very slow. I should be able to notice a big difference on that machine.. At least I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

But no updates for me yet on any of my four Tivo's

XM since 6/04

Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com
ddobson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #73 (Print)
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

For those of you outside Southern California who have received 6.2, could you please reply to my thread at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...d.php?t=229534? Also, it'd be good to state your DirecTivo model and the exact version #. I'd be curious to know how it's different (if it all) from the So Cal (only?) version that was rolled out earlier.

RCA DVR80
TiVos w/lifetime: Sony SVR-2000, Philips HDR212, Tivo TCD540080
cwerdna is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:45 PM   #74 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddobson
I think the people who are experiencing the real speed issues have added drives to their systems. My DSR708's (stock and 70 hours) are ok, not too slow unless I re-arrange season passes or sometlhing, which I wish it could do in the background or the middle of the night...

I have a DVR40 that I added a 160gig drive to. It's extremely slow on EVERYTHING but it's basically the same machine as the others. All series 2 systems. Now Playing list takes a few seconds on all of the 708's but on the DVR40 with 157 hours, it sometimes takes 2 to 3 minutes. Doing anything is very very slow. I should be able to notice a big difference on that machine.. At least I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

But no updates for me yet on any of my four Tivo's

On my 160 gig machine with about 16 season passes moving one from top to bottom with 6.2 took 20 seconds.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:50 PM   #75 (Print)
ToddAtl

Got mine on one of my tivo's so far. Nice, a little quicker overall though moving things around and changing priorities in Season Pass Manager didn't seem any faster (my tivo's have stock hard drives). Folders are nice, much easier than having to scroll down and cleans up the Now Playing list nicely!

XBox GamerTag- TyrionC
ToddAtl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #76 (Print)
Mr. Furious

One limitation of folders that I've noticed is in the storage of wishlists. Well, actually, it's an issue with how the system handles wishlists, rather than how the folders handle them.

If you change recording options for an autorecording wishlist, it ceases to be a wishlist program. As a result, it will be stored separately in the "Now Playing" list, rather than within the wishlist's folder.

The only time this affects me is with baseball games. Games on MLB Extra Innings have a 6-hour duration, so all but really long games or games delayed significantly by rain will be recorded in their entirety. On other channels, though, they're only 3 hours. Many games go past the 3-hour mark, so for games on, say, Fox or ESPN, I change the recording options to tack an extra hour onto the recording time. Once I do that, it's no longer a wishlist program.

That's a minor nitpick, though.
Mr. Furious is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 04:27 PM   #77 (Print)
AAhitman
Tuna fan (now)

Anyone in the Dallas area get the upgrade yet? Forced a call yesterday and today with nothing. Are we going to be last on the list?

AAhitman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 05:09 PM   #78 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAhitman
Anyone in the Dallas area get the upgrade yet? Forced a call yesterday and today with nothing. Are we going to be last on the list?
It is done randomly by receiver ID and not by location or model.

Old 05-17-2005, 05:39 PM   #79 (Print)
DVDKingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoAholic
I have the same problem, notice the picture, 2nd to last entry on the Bottom...

This is due to an error in the guide data for Starz on Demand. The show titles are different but the IDs are the same for all shows that particular day. TiVo defaults to the first one recorded. You will notice it also will do the same for thumbs ratings. Setting one will give the rating to all.

Old 05-17-2005, 11:08 PM   #80 (Print)
Klaitu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonP
This is the funniest, and most misinformed, comment about software development I've read in a long, long, time!

Well, since you can build your own DVR out of an old PC in considerably less time than that with no bugs and more features than TiVo provides, I'd say it's probably not so funny.
Klaitu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 02:21 AM   #81 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaitu
Well, since you can build your own DVR out of an old PC in considerably less time than that with no bugs and more features than TiVo provides, I'd say it's probably not so funny.
With "no bugs". That has to be the second funniest and second most misinformed, comment about software development I've read in a long, long, time!

Old 05-18-2005, 07:09 AM   #82 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk
With "no bugs". That has to be the second funniest and second most misinformed, comment about software development I've read in a long, long, time!

What is the first?

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 07:23 AM   #83 (Print)
JWThiers
Not So New Tivo Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
What is the first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaitu
4. Testing is a very good thing, but either there are a LOT of bugs in the new release, or the programmers are taking a nap on the job (maybe both). It doesn't take months to fix petty non-critical bugs in any software.. at least in any software I have ever seen.. and I worked for AOL at one time.

I mean, a 6 month development time to speed up menus and add folders? A single guy in his basement could do that in a matter of weeks.

This is the funniest, and most misinformed, comment about software development I've read in a long, long, time!

See message 40 of this thread above
JWThiers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 07:50 AM   #84 (Print)
Lungwah

Quote:
I did notice an oddity with the folders. When I enabled the folders, All of my Starz on Demand Movies were located in a folder called Kill Bill vol 1.

I have the same problem. It looks like it takes the first movie from the StarZ batch and uses that to name the folder. I actually have 2 folders from 2 different StarZ downloads. I may disable the StarZ demand; I don't see much value in it anyway.
Lungwah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 07:51 AM   #85 (Print)
ProStreet

I have 3 DVR80's, and all three have had call's forced with no update. Next update's have been pushed up to Thursday.
ProStreet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 08:05 AM   #86 (Print)
Popvideo

Anybody from Florida get the update? nothing here in Orlando but we are usually a day late and a dollar short anyway.
Popvideo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 08:11 AM   #87 (Print)
drf23

No update for me:

Also read this on the D** website.

Are all DIRECTV DVRs receiving this upgrade?
No. DIRECTV DVR models SONY SAT-T60, PHILIPS DSR6000R, HUGHES GXCEBOT and HR10-250 will not receive the 6.2 software upgrade at this time.
drf23 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 08:12 AM   #88 (Print)
vidanon
Full house of Tivos

Nothing here in NY either.... Have 4 receivers...and as usual, received nothing...
vidanon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 08:31 AM   #89 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drf23
Are all DIRECTV DVRs receiving this upgrade?
No. DIRECTV DVR models SONY SAT-T60, PHILIPS DSR6000R, HUGHES GXCEBOT and HR10-250 will not receive the 6.2 software upgrade at this time.

Yes, this is fairly well known...

The Series 1 DirecTivos (which run a different processor and mother board design)
And the HD DirecTivo (which runs a different version to support the HD functions)
Are not recieving 6.2

It is never expected for the Series 1s as they have basically dropped any future software support for them.

The HD unit is "rumored" to get the upgrade, following the SD units.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2005, 08:50 AM   #90 (Print)
sabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidanon
Nothing here in NY either.... Have 4 receivers...and as usual, received nothing...

Ditto...except I only have 1 dvr
sabre is offline Report Bad Post Report Post