TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-19-2005, 07:15 PM   #121 (Print)
gryphius1

i just got the update, and now it says "directv was unable to find any valid channels in your channel lineup!"

WHERE DID MY CHANNELS GO??? our standalone tivo box still gets our channels...
gryphius1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 07:39 PM   #122 (Print)
chrishicks
video addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtremain
if you're kidding. if you're not.

Old 05-19-2005, 07:48 PM   #123 (Print)
acampo

not even a card....long island.... :(

acampo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 08:22 PM   #124 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphius1
i just got the update, and now it says "directv was unable to find any valid channels in your channel lineup!"

That's odd. Go into your "channels you receive" setup. You need to do that anyway, but it should default to having all of the channels, not none of them.

I just noticed you're a newbie. Hit the TiVo button on the remote, select preferences, and then select channel setup (or something like that).
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 09:07 PM   #125 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphius1

I think your guide may be set to favorites. Setup yuour favorites list or change your guide to Channels I Receive.

Old 05-19-2005, 09:22 PM   #126 (Print)
johnd55

Mine is now being installed....WOOHOO
johnd55 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 09:27 PM   #127 (Print)
spipasucci

Mine just started loading as well!!! (Atlanta)
spipasucci is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #128 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk
I think your guide may be set to favorites. Setup yuour favorites list or change your guide to Channels I Receive.
I didn't think of that. Agreed. That it explains it.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 08:26 AM   #129 (Print)
paulfitz
6.2 MRV is awesome

Got it on the DVR80 yesterday, but still nothing on the main unit (DVR40) :-(

Hoping today so I can get HMO/MRV going this weekend :-)

paulfitz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 08:41 AM   #130 (Print)
chrishicks
video addict

I just made a call and one of my tivos got the upgrade. I rebooted at 9:05 and was completely finished with the upgrade at 9:27. not to shabby. I'm re-entering my channels right now.

this happened in Ecorse, MI by the way.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:25 AM   #131 (Print)
JWThiers
Not So New Tivo Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk

I thought 6.2 reset the Channels I Recieve as well???
JWThiers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 10:58 AM   #132 (Print)
beej
Dad/Husband/Consumer

Send a message via Yahoo to beej
My HDVR2 is was set to call in the 17th.
Excitement ensued.
Called in... Next scheduled call: May 20th.
OK. A couple extra days. I can be patient.
Called in... Next scheduled call: May 27th.

No card in the mail yet.
Tivo keeps putting it off...
Haven't even bothered to check the SD-DVR80.

Depressing.
Simply depressing.

HR10-250
HDVR2- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
DVR80- 140hrs: 6.2, USB2.0, MRV, Telnet, FTP, TWP
Respect: Gunnyman & rbautch
beej is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 07:23 PM   #133 (Print)
skinnyjm
I'm Grumpy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWThiers
I thought 6.2 reset the Channels I Recieve as well???

It also resets ALL of the Parental Controls, not just the Spending Limit (as indicated on the 6.2 upgrade page).
I had to go in and re-enter all of the settings, including the password.

The Hughes got it 5/19, not yet on the RCA. Half way there.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:03 PM   #134 (Print)
wscannell

Just got 6.2 (Connecticut). It did not seem to reset any of the parental controls on my TiVo. Next step is bigger drive (300GB) - now this weekend's project.
wscannell is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-20-2005, 11:23 PM   #135 (Print)
Klaitu

In regards to the several people thinking that bugs and slow software rollout can't be avoided.. it can. You just have to have programmers who pay attention to their work, and actually work instead of surfing the net, talking with coworkers, and taking 30 minute long 15 minute breaks.

Having been in the industry for some time, I can tell you that the most time-consuming part of software development is lazy programmers.

You programmers reading this need not offended. You may not be the lazy programmer, but I guarantee that you know someone in the office who is.. probably multiple people.

Simple fact of the matter is: it doesn't take months to tweak an OS that already works perfectly fine in the first place. Software doesn't have to contain bugs in the alpha and beta stages. I really don't know why people insist that lazy programmers and unneccessary bugs must be commonplace, and indeed, they fight in defense of these things.

Just do it right the first time.
Klaitu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-21-2005, 07:06 AM   #136 (Print)
acampo

OK! No card in the mail on Long Island but forced dial produced three upgraded tivos! All went well except 1. I had to unplug it twice because of locking on startup. That was the most critical one with 2-160gb samsung drives. I feel lucky....it worked! For this tivo...folders are a definite bonus! Althought it stills takes a long time to "save until i delete", deleting shows seems much faster.

Anyone know if/when this upgrade will be extended to my HR10-250?
acampo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #137 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaitu
In regards to the several people thinking that bugs and slow software rollout can't be avoided.. it can. You just have to have programmers who pay attention to their work, and actually work instead of surfing the net, talking with coworkers, and taking 30 minute long 15 minute breaks.

Having been in the industry for some time, I can tell you that the most time-consuming part of software development is lazy programmers.

You programmers reading this need not offended. You may not be the lazy programmer, but I guarantee that you know someone in the office who is.. probably multiple people.

Simple fact of the matter is: it doesn't take months to tweak an OS that already works perfectly fine in the first place. Software doesn't have to contain bugs in the alpha and beta stages. I really don't know why people insist that lazy programmers and unneccessary bugs must be commonplace, and indeed, they fight in defense of these things.

Just do it right the first time.

Another choice quote from Klaitu. You are assuming that there were problems with 6.2. Do you know what DirecTV schedule was for the rollout? Do you know how long a test period DirecTV had scheduled? DirecTV wanted to test the code, thats it. Who knows hom many times that sent the code back to TiVo for revisions or if they ever did. From all your responces it is clear you have not been in the "industry" as you call it and do not understand the software development cycle.

Old 05-21-2005, 05:00 PM   #138 (Print)
regicat

I have been programming (assembler, etc) for 30+ years. I still do 6 days a week. I not only agree with Klaitu but wrote a letter to the DirecTV president telling him how some of my clients with 3 programmers get more done in 1 week than some with 50 programmers get done in two weeks. I have worked at over 200+ shops. I can tell you this is a rampant problem in the software industry. The industry has gone from "CAN DO (quickly)" to "We CAN'T do that". Programming used to be a profession with people taking pride. Now it's a bunch of "not my faults". Anyway, I can assure you the changes to 6.2 were not monumental and should have not taken anyway near this long. As for fixes... when someone reports a problem to me fixes are in production within 24-48 hours.

My opinion is that D* and/'or Tivo hired programmers right out of school and they are learning on the job. To top it off, management is being snowed by them as to how long changes take. I have seen this many times.........

Just my observations and opinion...
regicat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-21-2005, 06:16 PM   #139 (Print)
jlib
Lean Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Furious
One limitation of folders that I've noticed is in the storage of wishlists. Well, actually, it's an issue with how the system handles wishlists, rather than how the folders handle them...
The big shortcoming with folders for me is that there is no way to see the expiration status of folder contents from the root. There should be color coding or a carrying over of the dot and bang representing the status of the most soon to expire contents. So I ended up turning off folders. The general speed increase on menus is definitely a worthwhile improvement , though.
jlib is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-21-2005, 06:56 PM   #140 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by regicat
Anyway, I can assure you the changes to 6.2 were not monumental and should have not taken anyway near this long.

So assure me.

What changes did they do to the way that they store data on the DTiVo to make it work so much faster?
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-21-2005, 06:58 PM   #141 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Quote:
Originally Posted by regicat
I have been programming (assembler, etc) for 30+ years. I still do 6 days a week. I not only agree with Klaitu but wrote a letter to the DirecTV president telling him how some of my clients with 3 programmers get more done in 1 week than some with 50 programmers get done in two weeks. I have worked at over 200+ shops. I can tell you this is a rampant problem in the software industry. The industry has gone from "CAN DO (quickly)" to "We CAN'T do that". Programming used to be a profession with people taking pride. Now it's a bunch of "not my faults". Anyway, I can assure you the changes to 6.2 were not monumental and should have not taken anyway near this long. As for fixes... when someone reports a problem to me fixes are in production within 24-48 hours.

My opinion is that D* and/'or Tivo hired programmers right out of school and they are learning on the job. To top it off, management is being snowed by them as to how long changes take. I have seen this many times.........

Just my observations and opinion...

Most of the work in 6.2 was done by DTV and TiVo when they built 4.0.
6.2 is essentially 4.0 with Large HD support added,a brand new database engine added, and HMO/MRV features taken away. I imagine when you start ripping good working software apart, other stuff gets broken.
Also keep in mind, DTV's people didn't write this software, TiVo did. DTV set the specifications and parameters and Tivo did the programming.

I imagine if DTV had less restrictions on what TiVo could do, the software could have rolled out over a year ago. I for one am glad it was extensively tested. The last revision before 3.1e was rushed out the door and people's TiVo's broke.

As I have said in another thread. The software is coming. It's stable, and worth the wait.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-21-2005, 09:34 PM   #142 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnyman2k3
and HMO/MRV features taken away

Eh, I'd go with "not activated". Taken away makes it sound like the code was removed, which isn't the case.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 08:36 AM   #143 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

That's true Aristobrat. But the features were taken away from DTV users I stand by my thought that figuring out how to disable the features without totally breaking the system is what took so long. Tivo/DTV took the features out of the playroom and put them in a closet.
Just need to be savy enough to know which closet they hid them in

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 09:18 AM   #144 (Print)
PrimeRisk
TechnoGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaitu
Well, since you can build your own DVR out of an old PC in considerably less time than that with no bugs and more features than TiVo provides, I'd say it's probably not so funny.

Ok, you're on. If you can build it with NO BUGS, more features and in less time...you build it, I'll buy it.

Series 2 TiVo TCD240080, 80 hours - Lifetime Subscription w/HMO - Haulin' Tres
Series 2 DTiVos (3 x DSR7000s), 120+ hours
HDTiVo HR10-250, 200SD/30HD hours
PrimeRisk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 01:00 PM   #145 (Print)
TiVoRulz97

Finally got it on my HDVR2 in the bedroom this morning after forcing a call at 12:50pm...nothing on the living room yet though! This is in Memphis, TN..
TiVoRulz97 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 02:02 PM   #146 (Print)
jimpilot

DFW Texas. I got it this morning. I checked yesterday at about 0600 CDT and it wasn't there, at 0800 today it was there. So sometime between thoses times they must have updated the list .
jimpilot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #147 (Print)
lovswr

Send a message via AIM to lovswr
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovswr
Where does one see "Restart Pending"? Is on the call screen or under messages or what? Also I have forced two calls since the 16th (one a day). I'm in the Metro Atlanta area & no luck yet.

Well, maybe I should complain more! Woke up this morning, & it was there Also, none of my parental controls, pay per view, or channels got changed in any way at all. The speed is great. Just wish they would figure out that if some program comes on the same day more than once, they would let you specifiy which time you would like to record for the Season Pass.

Old 05-22-2005, 06:53 PM   #148 (Print)
bbristow
Member Since 2003

My 6.2 finally arrived this everning after forcing a call at 7:00 PM EDT Downloaded on phone for about 3 minutes, then "pending restart." Says it may take up to an hour to prepare the service update, which it's doing now. Hope to see speed improvements at least.

Hughes SD-DVR 80 in North Carolina.
bbristow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-22-2005, 09:24 PM   #149 (Print)
crvboy
your title here

Got it in Massachusetts overnight on my older (18 month) Hughes SD-DVR40. Nuttin' on the 9 month old RCA DVR80.
crvboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-23-2005, 07:46 AM   #150 (Print)
Langree
Goomba

Send a message via AIM to Langree
Got it in Sacramento this morning.

Langree's hit the nail on the head. -- AJRitz
Beaten to the punch by Langree. -- Clutchbrake
Reading Langree's next post makes me feel better. -- Hoffer
Langree is offline Report Bad Post Report Post