THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-14-2005, 08:51 AM   #1 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

R15... Looks like October

Well....

My vendor has been told that the R15 is coming... somewhere between the next 20 to 40 days....

In other words October...

I guess those August 17th rumors didn't happen...

I am still on the fence about how I feel about the delay...
I am glad they are waiting to make sure they get a product they want out there... (And I REALLY hope, they "heard" the complaints about items in the manual and are trying to fix those)....

But I really would have liked to had the new box for the start of the 2005 TV series.

Oh well...

But the latest information that is out there, at least from a Supplier->Vendor->To Me...

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-14-2005, 09:05 AM   #2 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
I am glad they are waiting to make sure they get a product they want out there... (And I REALLY hope, they "heard" the complaints about items in the manual and are trying to fix those).....

ROTFLMAOSTC

D* couldn't give a rat's a** about us or our concerns. As long as the R15 is better than a cable DVR, they will have a successful product. Look at it this way: They have 14 million customers and only about 2 million have TiVo's. That leaves 12 million plus new subs that most likely will be very happy with the R15. Life will not be good for TiVo lovers.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #3 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

A guy could dream can't he.....

DBSTalk
Old 09-14-2005, 09:25 AM   #4 (Print)
mick34

Will the current promotion for existing customers (free DVR after rebate) remain in effect when the R15 is released?

Now that the new tv season is underway, my wife is itching for a DVR. Should I get one now or wait for the R15?

Since DirecTV never promises specific hardware, once the R15 is available, is there a chance that they would still send me an R10?
mick34 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-14-2005, 09:35 AM   #5 (Print)
cmtar
Long live the R15!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick34
Will the current promotion for existing customers (free DVR after rebate) remain in effect when the R15 is released?

As stated before, yes. The promotion lasts untill 11/5/05.
cmtar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-14-2005, 10:30 AM   #6 (Print)
Bman

Smile

Quote:
Now that the new tv season is underway, my wife is itching for a DVR. Should I get one now or wait for the R15?

Thats the $64000 question....tough one I'm afraid.

Quote:
Since DirecTV never promises specific hardware, once the R15 is available, is there a chance that they would still send me an R10?

Once the R15's are released I believe you will have to specifically ask for an R10. At least thats what has been said here in theses forums.
Bman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-14-2005, 10:35 AM   #7 (Print)
Bman

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
Well....

My vendor has been told that the R15 is coming... somewhere between the next 20 to 40 days....

In other words October...

I guess those August 17th rumors didn't happen...

I am still on the fence about how I feel about the delay...
I am glad they are waiting to make sure they get a product they want out there... (And I REALLY hope, they "heard" the complaints about items in the manual and are trying to fix those)....

But I really would have liked to had the new box for the start of the 2005 TV series.

Oh well...

But the latest information that is out there, at least from a Supplier->Vendor->To Me...

This has also been confirmed by Robert at Valueelectronics. He said early October.

Bill
Old 09-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #8 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman
This has also been confirmed by Robert at Valueelectronics. He said early October.

Bill

Who do you think my vendor is.....

DBSTalk
Old 09-14-2005, 11:11 AM   #9 (Print)
Bman

Big Grin

I thought so....
Old 09-14-2005, 01:30 PM   #10 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:

Go ahead and get an R10. It is without a doubt one of the best DVR's available today. Very few people who get them don't like them. You really can't make a mistake considering its free.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:03 PM   #11 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtar
As stated before, yes. The promotion lasts untill 11/5/05.

Perhaps not free. Kind of depends on where you buy it. I thought D* was selling the R15 for 149 which makes it a 49 dollar dvr. Its a 100 dallar rebate and since the price is not yet 100% official yet we wont know what we will pay untill they are released.

Old 09-14-2005, 07:28 PM   #12 (Print)
goony

Quote:
D* couldn't give a rat's a** about us or our concerns.
It could be worse... if D* wanted to operate like Dish Network you'd have your R15 DVR right now and it would be bug-filled and you would have to put up with those bugs for a year - E* seems to unleash new DVRs on their customer base and let them be the 'beta testers', whereas D* seems to do it right and get most of the bugs out before FCS (First Customer Ship).
goony is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #13 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by goony
It could be worse... if D* wanted to operate like Dish Network you'd have your R15 DVR right now and it would be bug-filled and you would have to put up with those bugs for a year - E* seems to unleash new DVRs on their customer base and let them be the 'beta testers', whereas D* seems to do it right and get most of the bugs out before FCS (First Customer Ship).
I hope you are right, but the stories I hear from R-15 testers don't sound encouraging.

240 GB DSR-708
80 GB DSR-7000 (Slingbox attached)
(All w/MRV)

Administrator - DBSForums.com
Dan Collins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-14-2005, 08:17 PM   #14 (Print)
mgmrick
Haven't broke yet

Send a message via AIM to mgmrick Send a message via Yahoo to mgmrick
That is what I was afraid of. I think the reason D*tivo's work is the software from TIVO not the hardware. I am on my second hd D* receiver and I have to reboot it all the time.

Rick
mgmrick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-14-2005, 08:26 PM   #15 (Print)
Bman

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Collins
I hope you are right, but the stories I hear from R-15 testers don't sound encouraging.

Are these stories from a month ago? Or have you heard something recently? If recent what have you heard?

Bill
Old 09-14-2005, 08:44 PM   #16 (Print)
Mark W

Yeah Dan,

We know you can't give specifics but are the problems bugs that can be fixed, or are they more like general design/feature/useability complaints?
Mark W is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2005, 09:31 AM   #17 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

I can't give specifics, without violating the confidence of those that have written to me, but there are several feature specific problems, and some reliability of performance problems. The troubling part is that they appear to be quite random, which leaves little hope of them being thoroughly eliminated.

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Old 09-15-2005, 09:44 AM   #18 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
I can't give specifics, without violating the confidence of those that have written to me, but there are several feature specific problems, and some reliability of performance problems. The troubling part is that they appear to be quite random, which leaves little hope of them being thoroughly eliminated.

I wonder if they are bad enough to make the R15 a complete failure in the public's eyes? IOW, if D* markets this DVR to new-to-DVR subs, will it be bad enough for these DVR newbies to think it is junk?

Which leads to the $64K question, will it be bad enough for D* to re-evaluate their relationship with TiVo?
Old 09-15-2005, 10:05 AM   #19 (Print)
DesignDawg

No way.

Well, considering UltimateTV is far better than DTiVO, and the Time Warner DVRs in my area are far better than TiVo, I doubt it will be very hard for DTV to come up with a winner.

Ricky
DesignDawg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2005, 10:17 AM   #20 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignDawg
Well, considering UltimateTV is far better than DTiVO, and the Time Warner DVRs in my area are far better than TiVo, I doubt it will be very hard for DTV to come up with a winner.

Ricky
Better or worse doesnt matter to me because I am very used to tivo. Kind of like using the same flavor of toothpaste for ten years and you find a toothpaste that is proven to do a superior job but the taste is radicly different. Its tough to swallow. Eventually you get used to it. Like an ice cold pool or a burning hot bath. . Eventualy D* will exaust its supply of Directivo's and my five will have all failed and every last Directivo on ebay is gone. I will have to Get used to The R15. OH WELL!! All good things must end. Directivo Im sure will be around for a little while more. Enjoy it while you can!

Old 09-15-2005, 10:18 AM   #21 (Print)
HogarthNH
DirecTV Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan
I wonder if they are bad enough to make the R15 a complete failure in the public's eyes? IOW, if D* markets this DVR to new-to-DVR subs, will it be bad enough for these DVR newbies to think it is junk?

Which leads to the $64K question, will it be bad enough for D* to re-evaluate their relationship with TiVo?

Catastrophic quality issues were never enough for E* to even EVALUATE a relationship with TiVo.

Considering D* is even more stubborn than E*, I'd say the answer to your $64,000 question is "Only when hell freezes over."
HogarthNH is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2005, 10:26 AM   #22 (Print)
djsmokyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob Boy
Kind of like using the same flavor of toothpaste for ten years and you find a toothpaste that is proven to do a superior job but the taste is radicly different. Its tough to swallow.

You shouldn't be swallowing your toothpaste. It's not meant to be ingested.

"If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately".

djsmokyc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2005, 10:49 AM   #23 (Print)
Billy Bob Boy
Tivo schmivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsmokyc
You shouldn't be swallowing your toothpaste. It's not meant to be ingested.

"If you accidentally swallow more than used for brushing, seek professional help or contact a poison control center immediately".

I never said I was eating it. Unless you have no tounge I doubt if you can brush your teeh without tasting it All I can say to this reply is

Old 09-15-2005, 10:51 AM   #24 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignDawg

I will doubt that TW DVR's are better than TiVo, but that is an argument for a different day.

Keep in mind that while UTV was much better than TiVo in some respects, it was, as is TiVo, developed by a software company. D* is a content provider and has said on more than one occasion that they want to keep to their core competency which is delivering content. So what makes them think they can develop a better DVR?

And I have to wonder, why did D* not just buy the design from MS for the UTV. It would have killed TiVo. Perhaps BG wanted too much money.

What I think would be nice is a satellite version of a cablecard. Buy your STB from whoever you want and plug in the card. Let the marketplace determine quality and features.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:08 AM   #25 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
And I have to wonder, why did D* not just buy the design from MS for the UTV. It would have killed TiVo. Perhaps BG wanted too much money.
I doubt MS would sell the code for any price. UTV was run on a subset of Windows CE. Selling UTV to DirecTV would mean supplying an outside company with source code to Windows.

I, too, preferred UTV to TiVo. I wish they hadn't pulled the plug on it. Of course, if wishes were horses...

Old 09-15-2005, 12:10 PM   #26 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Actually, UltimateTV, like the DishPlayer and other WebTV boxes, ran on a derivative of BSD, not Windows CE. Even if it was, the DVR code is an APPLICATION, and so would not include any OS code.

The DVR code from UltimateTV was incorporated into Windows HME - that's why it wasn't for sale, not because of any "Windows source code" issues.

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)

Old 09-15-2005, 12:46 PM   #27 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
Actually, UltimateTV, like the DishPlayer and other WebTV boxes, ran on a derivative of BSD, not Windows CE. Even if it was, the DVR code is an APPLICATION, and so would not include any OS code.

The DVR code from UltimateTV was incorporated into Windows HME - that's why it wasn't for sale, not because of any "Windows source code" issues.
Hi, Dan.

Unless my information is wrong, when UTV came out, it ran on WinCE 3.0. Here's a link to the announcement info at the 2001 CES: UTV Announcement

To quote from the article by Paul Thurrott:

Quote:
At the Saturday launch of 2001 CES, Microsoft announced the availability of six new hardware devices based on Windows CE, the company's Windows-like OS for non-PC devices. These devices, which include Internet radios, Web pads, and a wearable Internet appliance, join other CE-based products such as UltimateTV, Car.NET, and the successful PocketPC line in what can only be described as a surprising resurgence for this little OS. All of the new products will be marketed under the "Windows Powered" umbrella, and will be powered by Windows CE 3.0.
I know UTV is an application, but if you were going to purchase an application that would need continued development, how do you do that without the source?

Edit: In thinking about it, MS wouldn't have to give the source to CE, only to the UTV app. Either way, I don't think MS is fond of giving out any source code.

Last edited by Kevin L : 09-15-2005 at 01:57 PM.
Kevin L is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2005, 01:38 PM   #28 (Print)
peteypete

So Dan, are you suggesting that DirecTV may miss a October launch? I love it when one person posts from a dealer who has been wrong in the past and another "confirms" it with a reference to the same dealer and everyone thinks this is good info. Geez.

Personally, I think DTV had second rate programmers that rushed a product that had to work around significant Intellectual Property limitations and now they are scratching their heads "Geez, what do we do with this POS now" Grovel? Fix? Push out as a POS? Damn just give people a friggin date. They'll eat it up.
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2005, 01:50 PM   #29 (Print)
grooves12

Quote:

It may upset those diehard Tivo faithfuls, but I guarantee the new-to-dvr crowd will not know the difference nor care. The fact that there are so many people out there HAPPY with Comcrap's or Echostar's boxes should illustrate that quite clearly.
grooves12 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2005, 02:51 PM   #30 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin L
Hi, Dan.

Unless my information is wrong, when UTV came out, it ran on WinCE 3.0. Here's a link to the announcement info at the 2001 CES...
I'm pretty sure that article is mistaken.

240 GB DSR-708
(All w/MRV)