July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2005, 07:43 PM   #31 (Print)
Hound
Choccy Luvr

Send a message via AIM to Hound
My check engine light has been on for almost two years now. I was rear ended and it broke a sensor in my gas tank. Its not trpped or anything wrong, the sensor itself is broken, but to replace it is to replace the entire gas tank. I have it run every time I go for oil chances since they do it for free just to make sure nothing else has poppd up.

Pain in the tush and I need to get it registered in VA and havent checked if the light matters or not with inspection.

Old 12-23-2005, 07:49 PM   #32 (Print)
Amnesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by choccy
It's definitely a check engine light on my car.

OK, here's what you do:
  1. Open the hood.
  2. Is the engine there? If so, done.
  3. If not, get a new engine
Amnesia is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 07:49 PM   #33 (Print)
mike3775

Send a message via AIM to mike3775 Send a message via MSN to mike3775 Send a message via Yahoo to mike3775
My Ford F-150's light has been on since May when I went to get it emission tested for plates.

It told me that my O2 sensor was bad, so I replaced both of them(upper and lower) and then used the Autozone thingy to clear the fault. Drove about 15 miles to the emission place, and the light popped back on just as they were plugging in the diagnostic thingy.

I said screw it, and went back to the DMV and got an 11,000 lb plate to get around the emission test and to get new plates, and then called Ford and paid $90 to get them to clear thr fault(it was reading O2 sensor upper bank, which had been replaced), and then the next day the light came back on and the autozone thingy again says O2 sensor. So basically my check engine light is on all the time now and I gave up trying to get it to stay off.
mike3775 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 07:55 PM   #34 (Print)
jcondon

That is a great idea. My car will be 2 years old in May. I will my second inspection done in April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raj
I did mine a month before its 2 year anniversary so I won't have to pay $30 for an emissions test.
jcondon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #35 (Print)
zyzzx
Bucknut

In Maryland, emission tests are required every two years. In cars with OBDII a CEL on will fail emissions but a car with OBDI or earlier will not. My car has OBDI and passed emissions recently with the CEL on.

There is a way to diagnose it yourself by shorting two of the connectors on the OBD connector socket. I did this twice: The first time my CEL light came on I diagnosed it as a bad O2 sensor and replaced it myself since the sensor is in front of the engine and easily accessible.

Most recently, the CEL came on again and I diagnosed it this time as a bad knock sensor. This is much harder to replace so I'm just living with it at this point.
zyzzx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 08:07 PM   #36 (Print)
choccy
IS-700 Certified

Send a message via ICQ to choccy Send a message via AIM to choccy Send a message via Yahoo to choccy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia
OK, here's what you do:
  1. Open the hood.
  2. Is the engine there? If so, done.
  3. If not, get a new engine

LOL!

choccy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 08:10 PM   #37 (Print)
choccy
IS-700 Certified

Send a message via ICQ to choccy Send a message via AIM to choccy Send a message via Yahoo to choccy
I plan to take my car in for a service next week, and then it needs it's state inspection, or I'm SOL on Jan 1

Old 12-23-2005, 08:40 PM   #38 (Print)
Steve_Martin
Threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobotech
I'm assuming that its more of an issue in states which follow kommiefornia's extremely strict standards (i think CT is one of them) where you bring the car to a testing site run by the state.

CA no longer has state-run testing sites (gone for at least 10 years). The test sites are private, and they upload test info to the DMV. We require a treadmill and an exhaust sniffer test. If you have a CEL light lit you fail in CA. There is a several year exemption for new cars (at least 2 yr exemption).

Is cafe americano frou frou coffee? (sugar, no cream).
Steve_Martin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 08:43 PM   #39 (Print)
mike3775

Send a message via AIM to mike3775 Send a message via MSN to mike3775 Send a message via Yahoo to mike3775
If you have a CEL light in Indiana, they won't even test you. They fail automatically

We have to get it done every two years.
mike3775 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 08:48 PM   #40 (Print)
FatherTed
Not Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegBarc
In PA, we have emissions inspections only in certain areas. I know Pittsburg and Philadelphia have emissions, and I am not sure about Wyoming/Lackawana vallies (like Scranton/Wilkes-Barre). But Pennsytuckey has no emissions at all. Their requirements are quite odd.

Hey now. We have the regular basic inspection without emissions. Nothing odd about that. Most of the state is that way.

My work vehicle has to have emissions unfortunately. It's a new vehicle and registered to my company's main office near Philadelphia and it has to comply with its registered location's requirements. I'll have to drive it elsewhere to get the emissions done.
FatherTed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 10:20 PM   #41 (Print)
jfelbab
WineBoZo

That model may be one that Toyota has an extended engine warranty on. They had a sludge problem with their 3 liter engines. I'd have it checked out and you might get a new engine for free.

http://www.autosafety.org/article.php?scid=150&did=1090

jfelbab is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 10:30 AM   #42 (Print)
choccy
IS-700 Certified

Well, I didn't drive my car between Sunday morning and Thursday afternoon, and.. the check engine light no longer comes on! I'm not 100% sure, but the TRAC OFF (traction control) light was also on and wouldn't turn off (light off = traction control on), and that is also off and functions on/off correctly again. I *think* the actual trac on/off button got stuck or wasn't functioning correctly because it's poorly located next to the hand break and cup holders and has had more than a couple of liquids spilt on it in the past 6 years.

Anyway, so here I am sitting and waiting for my oil change/state inspection to be done. 1 hour so far but at least I can get on-line thanks to my Verizon EVDO card

Old 12-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #43 (Print)
HomieG
Nowhere Man...

If/when you find out the cause of the check engine light, if it is emmission system related most all cars have an extended warranty for some of the emmission components. The OP's 1999 Solara may or may not qualify, based on age and/or mileage, but it is something to check. A few years ago we had a problem with a check engine light on a minivan that was out of its 36month/36,000 warranty, but was indeed covered by it's emmission warranty which I think was 100,000 miles.

Sony KDS-R60XBR1 (60" SXRD)
ChannelMaster 4228 OTA Antenna (in attic)
HDVR2 w/105 Hours (Samsung 120GB)
SONY SAT-A50
HomieG is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-30-2005, 06:08 PM   #44 (Print)
choccy
IS-700 Certified

Bad news.. 20 miles up the road from getting my oil changed and state inspection done (it passed) my CEL came on again I called them up and told them it came on 20 miles up the road and that I wanted them to take a look "because it never came on before in 126K miles, and now it's on 20 after my oil change" ... ok, so I fibbed, but I'd rather they try and figure out what the problem is than write it off as not their problem without even hooking up the computer.