Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-08-2003, 05:52 AM   #1 (Print)
karken10

Multiple units for 1 low monthly fee

I have 1 TiVo unit and 4 VCR's (I record and watch a lot of tv). I of course love the ease of recording and playback of TiVo vs a VCR. There's of course no comparison. I was planning on buying a least 2 more TiVo's untill I learned that only 1 TiVo unit can be activated and updated per each $12.95 monthly charge. javascript:smilie('') If TiVo's motivation for this is just to make more money you might want to rethink your position because I'm sure there are thousands of customers just like me out there. I also understand that in the long run you make much more money from your monthly subscriptions then from unit sales but you are killing your unit sales. Your unit sales AND your monthly subscribers would both increase by activating/updating multiple units in 1 household for one low monthly fee. javascript:smilie('')

If it's a technical problem (which I doubt) and you can only activate and update 1 unit per phone line than you better figure out quickly how to solve that problem. I'm sure that you know, as I do that somewhere out there there's a group of techies from your competitors working feverishly to make it happen. I of course being a loyal consumer will buy several DVR's from the first company that allows me to use several DVR's and pay only 1 low monthly fee. I of course would like to know via email if it's a tech problem.
karken10 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-08-2003, 06:55 AM   #2 (Print)
longkappa

they're actually losing money on the hardware, that subscription price is the only direct payback from the consumer they have.

Selling more hardware without the subscription just exacerbates their problem.
longkappa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-08-2003, 08:22 AM   #3 (Print)
BrettStah

It's similar to paying for a TV Guide subscription... if you want two TV Guides, you will have to pay for two subscriptions.

Having said that... yes, it would be nice if Tivo could work things out to give discounts on additional Tivos. If they could cut down on costs it seems very possible... to do that, I think that the software would need to be updated so that only one Tivo would be allowed to dial in (or connect via an Internet connection) to get all data for all Tivos in the house. Then that Tivo would be used as the source of data for the other Tivos. Obviously the Tivos would need to be connected to each other for this to work, and the software changes would not be trivial. There would need to be all sorts of contingencies to be considered and handled...

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-08-2003, 08:55 AM   #4 (Print)
Zathrus

TiVo is not losing money on the hardware anymore. They haven't since coming out with the S2 boxes.

As far as this suggestion goes - it's been requested a couple million times and the answer remains the same - it's not going to happen. It's not a technical issue, it's a money issue. TiVo is still in the red, so asking them to cut income is not going to go over well.

Frankly, you're much better off buying a lifetime sub anyway - they retain their value even upon sale, and your monthly expenses are eliminated.

The other alternative is to go DirecTV -- for $5/month you can use as many DirecTiVo's as you want.
Zathrus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-09-2003, 09:17 AM   #5 (Print)
phone1
?????????

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
It's similar to paying for a TV Guide subscription... if you want two TV Guides, you will have to pay for two subscriptions.
Great analogy I hadn't heard before. It costs TV Guide the same to send two copies to your house as it does to send one to you and one to your neighbor.

But then, who needs TV Guide anymore?

Best Universal Remote (for the money - $18): OFA URC-6131
phone1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-10-2003, 04:53 PM   #6 (Print)
super dave
SIRIUSLY!

The other alternative is to go DirecTV -- for $5/month you can use as many DirecTiVo's as you want.
Can't think of anything better!!!

F Jackie!
super dave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-10-2003, 05:17 PM   #7 (Print)
mmascari

Quote:
Originally posted by phone1

I do . In fact, recently I started to find it more useful.

I recently switched my TiVo cable setup from coax analog only to w/cable box full digital line up, requiring the use of IR blasters. (This was a hold out since I really wanted cable and cable w/box to be supported, but finally gave up waiting. Please don't comment on that set up, unless it works now, since I'm sure nothing has changed.)

Anyway, now that I have all of the premium channels available to record that I previously couldn't (deep discount package cable deal), I find the section at the back of the TVGuide for "Premium movies on this week" very useful. When a new issue arrives, I just read through it to see what's available. Then I use find programs by title to schedule them to record.

So the TVGuide has become starter articles, available movie list, and large chunk of fill in the middle.

PS: Please don't tell me what counting the front articles says about my personality.

PPS: And just to stay on topic, multiple unit discounts would be nice, but I don't expect it anytime soon, maybe with another iteration of the hardware.
mmascari is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-16-2003, 11:13 PM   #8 (Print)
Papamax

Quote:
Originally posted by phone1
Great analogy I hadn't heard before. It costs TV Guide the same to send two copies to your house as it does to send one to you and one to your neighbor.

Just my opinion, but, I think it is a poor analogy. Its better to compare it to cable TV. I pay my monthly cable bill. If I buy another TV and hook it up, they do not increase my monthly cable rate. If TIVO can give discounted multi TIVO rates to direct TV users, then they should be able to able to give simular discounts to regular TIVO users.
Papamax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-17-2003, 09:23 AM   #9 (Print)
mmascari

Quote:
Originally posted by Papamax
Just my opinion, but, I think it is a poor analogy. Its better to compare it to cable TV. I pay my monthly cable bill. If I buy another TV and hook it up, they do not increase my monthly cable rate.

Actually, the TV Guide analogy is a better example. Your cable service uses a broadcast delivery system. They broadcast a signal at your house, and it doesn't matter how many receivers (TVs) you have, the cost is the same. For TV Guide, they deliver a personalized (well it has a mailing label ) individual copy to your house for each subscription you have, hence each subscription you have costs more.

Currently, each TiVo you have calls in and has personalized guide content delivered to it individually, just like TV Guide.

In a future world, they may implement a way for 1 TiVo to get guide content and share it with the other units in the house. At that point, the user would be responsible for connecting the different units to share the content. Then I would bet they offer a discount.

Until then, since the costs are the same, it's a marketing decision on the addition unit price. The question becomes, is a smaller margin an acceptable cost of getting multiple subscription households.

Quote:
Originally posted by Papamax
If TIVO can give discounted multi TIVO rates to direct TV users, then they should be able to able to give simular discounts to regular TIVO users.

Actually, TiVo doesn't give any discounts to Direct TV users, since they don't bill Direct TV users at all. Remember, the Direct TV DVR (known as DTiVo) is actually "Direct TV DVR powered by TiVo". All of the billing, management, and features are controlled by Direct TV. Direct TV pays TiVo to use the service, and then charges it's customers whatever it wants. This is one reason the feature sets are different, like no HMO.
mmascari is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-25-2004, 04:30 PM   #10 (Print)
dcortez

Multi User Discount

I am shopping for Tivo and trying to decide multiple TIVOs or TIVO w. DVD Recorder and move the DVD's room to room.

Tivo web site says if you have two TIVO's you get a discount on the second one .. $6.95/ mo for the second, $12.95/ mo for the first.

Am I reading this right?

If I buy one TIVO with DVD recorder, I can burn my time shifted programs and move to a room with a DVD player.

Question is: does it take hours to burn hours of hard drive programs?
dcortez is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-25-2004, 05:43 PM   #11 (Print)
Jonathan_S

You are correct. Additional Tivo units are only $6.95 / month.

My understanding is that the time it takes to burn an hour of programming depends on the quality you set it to record at. Which makes sense, something recorded at Extreme quality is a much bigger file than that same program recorded at Medium quality.

That said, I believe recording an hour of Extreme quality to a DVD (the max a DVD can hold) take under 30 minutes.
You might want to re-ask your question on the time it takes in the DVD TiVo Units forum here.

Old 12-26-2004, 01:42 PM   #12 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

The way I hear it, it takes an hour to record a full DVD, regardless of the recording rates used.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2004, 01:55 PM   #13 (Print)
dcortez

Tivo Vs Tivo DVD Recorder

Heres my dilemma:
I have Tivo Ser.2 for Christmas.
I would like a built in DVD Recorder.
The options are Toshiba, Humax, Pioneer models.
These all come with Basic Tivo, the Ser.2 Tivo only comes with Premium Tivo Service.
The posts on this Forum are mostly critical of the units with built in DVD recorders. The complaint seems to be:

1. Humax does not use Tivo HD recording format and the video quality is bad.
2. The Toshiba, Pioneer units have slow burning speeds (1x?) and burning from the Tivo HD to DVDRW discs yield poor quality video.
3. The combined Tivo DVD RW models have software that simplies the process of HD recording and transferring to DVD. However, better quality DVD burns can be obtained by buying a first rate DVD Recorder and connecting it to the Tivo Ser. 2 Unit.

So my question is: Does anyone make a Tivo DVD Recorder combo that has premium Tivo Service (season ticket, etc), high speed DVD burner, and a Hard Drive recording format that is high quality and transferrable to DVD RW discs for permanent archiving, all working seamlessly in one unit?

Am I asking too much??

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:40 PM   #14 (Print)
BrettStah

Just to clarify one point of confusion that I think you have, you can upgrade all Tivo units that come with the basic Tivo service to the full-blown Tivo service.

Old 12-26-2004, 05:38 PM   #15 (Print)
dcortez

Upgrading Basic

Thanks for clarifying that all Tivo units can use all the Tivo services.
One more question .. if I buy a Humax/Toshiba/Pioneer with only the basic service, is there a charge to upgrade to the premium service?
Old 12-26-2004, 07:56 PM   #16 (Print)
BrettStah

Yes. Same charges/prices as normal standalone Tivos, IIRC. I bet the www.tivo.com site has the exact details, though.