Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-06-2000, 02:00 AM   #1 (Print)
timholt

Note multiple programs to VCR

In recording to VCR, it would be nice to be able to select multiple programs and sequence. That way you could tell Tivo to fill up a VCR tape and go to bed.
Thanks!
Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-06-2000, 11:26 AM   #2 (Print)
Cyberchip

Note

I agree. But I posted this earlier. Would have been nice if this was a reply; but,... well. So I reply again... Does anyone know if TIVO intends to add this feature

------------------
Quote:
We’re drowning in information and starving for knowledge. - Rutherford D Rogers
Old 12-06-2000, 02:59 PM   #3 (Print)
timf

Arrow

Despite how frequently requested this feature is, I wish people would give it up. I for one disconnected my VCR when I got TiVo so now it's just TiVo for recording and DVD for movies. Having this feature would be absolutely worthless to me, and everyone else who has decommisioned their VCR. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

------------------
Tim
DTVRwTS & Suggestion Avenue Moderator
timf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2000, 03:08 PM   #4 (Print)
CoosCoos

Note

Quote:
Originally posted by timf:
Despite how frequently requested this feature is, I wish people would give it up. I for one disconnected my VCR when I got TiVo . . . Having this feature would be absolutely worthless to me

Fortunately for us, a feature not being requested by *everyone* or even being used by *everyone* are not the criteria companies use to decide what does and does not get included. Show some patience for the people who like to off-load to video tape, and don't try to squash their voice for new features.

And if it's a 4-head HiFi VCR that you decommissioned, email me for my address. I'll pay for the shipping costs.
CoosCoos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-07-2000, 04:29 PM   #5 (Print)
TivoDaddy
I'm back

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by timf:
Despite how frequently requested this feature is, I wish people would give it up. I for one disconnected my VCR when I got TiVo so now it's just TiVo for recording and DVD for movies. Having this feature would be absolutely worthless to me, and everyone else who has decommisioned their VCR. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

I'm one of those that would love to get rid of my VCR, but we collected a lot of Disney movies etc. for my older kid. Now my almost 2-year-old is going through these ad nauseum. I also transfer several shows to one tape so that she can be occupied for a while whithout me popping another video every once in a while.
TivoDaddy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-09-2000, 12:58 AM   #6 (Print)
Ilovetorecord2

Send a message via Yahoo to Ilovetorecord2
Note

I think this would be a great feature.
Ilovetorecord2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2000, 02:40 AM   #7 (Print)
jasonl99
Now New and Improved

Note

Quote:
Despite how frequently requested this feature is, I wish people would give it up.

Tim, with all due respect, that's a bit of a harsh opinion, especially for a moderator.
jasonl99 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2000, 05:01 AM   #8 (Print)
GarFan

Arrow

Yeah, what's with the 'tude, Moderator? I like my VCR. I WANT to record shows to tape. I WANT to edit segments. I WANT to set multiple shows to record all at once. I WANT the commercial killer feature. ...or do suggestions have to meet your criteria before getting forwarded to TiVo?
Old 12-10-2000, 09:47 PM   #9 (Print)
nmiller855

Note

I like to transfer shows to VCR tape for my father who is elderly and can't consistently record shows to his liking. He likes old westerns, boxing & other sports biographies, etc. that I have no interest in. One of several reasons I bought the Sony DirecTivo was because I have a Sony VCR and it took a step out in dumping to tape.
nmiller855 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2000, 03:13 PM   #10 (Print)
jemenake

Note

I'd have thrown my VCR away except for the fact that is the only thing resembling "removable storage" for the TiVo. Also, there are several programs that I want to keep indefinitely that I do not wish to keep on my TiVo.

A good example of this is with a series. Right now, I'm collecting all of the episodes of "The Century: America's Time" on the History channel. When I've got all of the episodes, I'm going to save them all to VCR so that I'll have a permanent copy of them. Same goes for "Inside the Actor's Studio". They have about 20-30 different episodes of this and I want to keep them indefinitely but I don't want them spread all throughout my "Now Showing" list.

A TiVo fanatic would probably argue that I should just get a massive hard drive as my "B" drive. However, drives are going for about 30GB for $100 right now. 30GB gets you about 20 hours of recording at medium quality (which is what I almost always use). So, that's $5 per hour of recording time. For 6 hours of shows, that's $30 of space that they're taking up on the TiVo as opposed to residing on a $5 tape. Also, the tape can be loaned out to friends.

So, I think that there is clearly still a legitimate reason to keep the VCR around and, in keeping with the original post, for being able to queue up about 6 hours of programming to dump all at once.

------------------
Linux - "It is now safe to turn *ON* your computer"
jemenake is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2000, 10:46 AM   #11 (Print)
Cyberchip

Note

Quote:
Right now, I'm collecting all of the episodes of "The Century: America's Time" on the History channel

Do I thinks this is a hot item... make it so.
Unquestionably, this is the main reason that Networks would like to squash the multirecord feature. We are supposed to consider ourselves fortunate to have any record feature at all. Personally, I'm getting pretty tired of the consumer taking a back seat. We spend the money on equipment, and lately, we've been having to take what we can get. With most corporations either partnered with, or a part of many larger corporations, sometimes consumer demands get quashed in the face of diminishing profits. The History Channel would probably rather run the episode you want to watch, over and over again, say every two months, placing new commercials on it each time, as a source of revenue, than encourage you, or make it easy for you to record and play back at leisure. The current model being sought for by the new media has the consumer paying for each use or viewing. With the new "laws" being passed with respect to digital content for the digital radio streaming media companies being an example. So, even a small feature, like multiple recording, or even manually clipping commercials has the commercial industry hopping around like someone just stepped on their profit. So far, no one can see the end to the density of recording media. It is conceivable that at some point we all could cheaply own enough digital recording media to store the entire viewable content of streaming media (this includes television), although probably not in the foreseeable future.

Let's be realistic, if we examine the opposition to this idea, we will find at the heart of it greed. Network distributors, like DirectTV, fear the Napster revolution spreading to streaming video. We're not far from it. High quality recordings on tape, ease of transfer, clipping commercials are all preludes to people sharing digital media with none getting paid.

It's a simple request. Make it possible to record multiple programs to tape, it saves me time. Let's get real here for a second. Video tapes of programs are like 5 1/4" floppy disks, and 3 1/2" disks. At one time everything I though I'd ever need is on them... and if I knew what I have and could find it, I probably wouldn't use it anyway. That's what makes TIVO so great. In the meantime, it's a simple request.

------------------
Quote:
We’re drowning in information and starving for knowledge. - R.D. Rogers
Old 12-14-2000, 11:28 AM   #12 (Print)
CoosCoos

Note

I sure would like to take the 10 episodes of Zooboomafoo that I've recorded for my son and offload all 10 of them to tape at one time (right before we go to bed!). Then I could delete them and make more room for other stuff.

But guess what? WalMart has Zooboomafoo tapes for $10 that include 2 episodes each. As long as these tapes are for sale, TiVo will feel pressure from the industry to prevent this "multiple offloading" that we want so bad.

It's a shame, but that's the way it works.
CoosCoos is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2000, 02:43 PM   #13 (Print)
Cyberchip

Note

I don't think that TIVO has to kowtow to the networks to get it's TiVoMatic implemented. With a large enough subscriber base, you have control. Instead of worrying about the networks wanting to play ball, a standard has to be developed that anyone who develops a replay or TIVO like device can implement a TiVoMatic type standard in their device. Industry has long shown that proprietary standards and the computer industry don't mix. It is in the Networks best interest to allow such a standard to exist, commercials or otherwise.

Quote:
TiVo wants to maintain good relationships with all the networks, which is one reason why TiVo will probably not offer a feature to automatically edit out commercials, since many of the networks depend on advertising for their revenue.

I think that multi-recording of programs and commercial editing are related subjects, for anyone who thinks this may be OT. I understand the need to have commercials, and I don't suggest autoremoval; manual removal, yes. My case is that TIVO really is the next evolutionary stage of television, and as such, need not kowtow to any media. The machine with the most user oriented features will dominate the market. Ask Microsoft. (see IE)

So, to a previous question. Where's the list of new features coming out on TIVO's next program? I'm paying $10/mo to see new features. IF TIVO wants to save money; how about allowing my TIVO to long on through my ISP, and then they can save on their charges... Heck, I have to pay my ISP bill regardless of which of my computers(sic) is logging on... Cut back on costs, increase profits, give me my features and upgrades. TIVO is the future of streaming media... Long Live the TIVO (even the internet networks have learned that you have to cache) I want multirecord.

------------------
Quote:
Old 12-17-2000, 07:44 AM   #14 (Print)
mfulton

Note

Where did the idea that TiVo was being pressured not to do a multi-show "Save To VCR" feature come from? The only "evidence" being cited seems to be simply that they haven't already done it.

It's far more likely that they simply haven't had time to implement it properly. There may have been other things that were deemed more urgently needed. Also, designing user interfaces for things like this, for mass-market devices like TiVo, isn't as easy as you might think.

------------------
Mike Fulton
Old 12-17-2000, 07:49 AM   #15 (Print)
mfulton

Note

I have a suggestion regarding the "Save to VCR" feature...

It would be nice if you could:

1) Specify how long to display the show information screen before beginning the actual recording.

With v1.3, after it starts recording, my Sony VCR takes a few seconds to start going. As a result, I normally only get about 1-2 seconds of the show informations screen.

2) Specify that 'n' seconds of black screen should be recorded at the END of the show.

------------------
Mike Fulton
Old 12-18-2000, 08:32 PM   #16 (Print)
Cyberchip

Note

Quote:
Originally posted by mfulton:
Where did the idea that TiVo was being pressured not to do a multi-show "Save To VCR" feature come from? The only "evidence" being cited seems to be simply that they haven't already done it.

Personally, that's pretty damning evidence. From a programming point of view, the additional 'feature' is a simple one. Every program tagged 'record to VCR' goes into a list. 'start record' begins recording. If there is any programmer for TiVo who'd care to dispute this; we could come up with several and multiple simple ways to provide this feature.

No, until refuted, the simplicity of the idea has to promote the concept that an underlying and not immediately evident influence is stopping the feature from being added. Too simple, should have been a feature from the beginning.

------------------
Quote:
Old 12-22-2000, 04:57 PM   #17 (Print)
RMAKADOK

Thumbs up

I would use this feature a lot if it were added, and I wholeheartedly support it. As a teacher, my main use for TiVo is to search for video clips that I can use in my class, and the only way that I can show video clips to my class is by transferring them to VHS tape.

Since this suggested feature could be implemented by downloading a simple system software upgrade, it should be relatively inexpensive to provide to all new and existing TiVo users.

I also agree with the people who pointed out the inappropriateness of the response posted by Tim the moderator. After all, what is the purpose of having this forum in the first place if not to suggest new ideas about different ways that TiVo can be used? Like any new technology, different people will use TiVo in different ways for different purposes. Speaking on behalf of the millions of teachers and professors everywhere, I can definitely say that TiVo would be virtually useless to teachers and professors without the capability to transfer programs to VHS, and that any enhancements to this capability make TiVo more valuable to those of us in education. With all due respect, the moderator would be well advised to bear in mind that while TiVo may simply be an entertainment device to many users, there are also potentially millions of users for whom it is also an educational tool.

Best regards,
Rich Makadok

Old 12-27-2000, 07:22 PM   #18 (Print)
Mike Mitchelson

Lightbulb

I for one have also disconnected my VCR in replacement for the Tivo.

I would use a VCR if Tivo had one more feature. Non-Linear video replay to a VCR. Don't laugh, it's a much desired feature for anyone wanting to take camcorder recordings and record only the good parts so Family/Friends (ok, maybe not Friends) would actually want to watch it.

Just record the whole camcorder tape onto the Tivo and activate the Enhanced mode (which costs an extra $2.95 a month or $59 lifetime) which includes non-linear editing. You use the thumbs up to start areas you want to record, and thumbs down to start areas you don't want to record. Then when you record to VCR you get only the "good" parts.

Tivo needs an advanced setting feature for tech people. That way by default it is nice and easy for beginners. (i.e. or people like my parents

Take Care, Mike
Old 12-30-2000, 11:20 PM   #19 (Print)
net114
Web Addict

Thumbs up

Yes, I agree that the 'record' feature should be "enhanced". Within five years (probably sooner) there will be recordable DVD units replacing standard DVDs, just as CD burners have in computers. People will be able to archive TONS of programming. The "industry" will try to wiggle in here and stop this or curb it dramatically, they always have. They have effectively curbed CD burners in home stereo systems, and even units made by big companys like Pioneer, won't let you record like you can on personal computers.

TIVO needs to implement a "record to other device" feature in the future, and let us have it freely.
net114 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2001, 05:50 PM   #20 (Print)
jemenake

Note

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyberchip:
Personally, that's pretty damning evidence.

Actually, I'm not sure I agree. If the networks were twisting their arms about this, I don't think they'd include "Save to VCR" at ALL. So, the fact that you can even save ONE show to VCR is redeeming evidence.

- Joe

------------------
Linux - "It is now safe to turn *ON* your computer"
jemenake is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-10-2003, 11:56 PM   #21 (Print)
lkusz

To the moderator:

There is a sure-fire way to make sure this suggestion never gets mentioned again. Implement it.

lkusz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-18-2003, 06:54 PM   #22 (Print)
dwarner

Multi-Record is HERE (sort of)

The new Pioneer Tivo/DVD recorders let you select multiple shows to record, and even records a Tivo-like menu on the DVD's for selecting the shows to play back.. Archivers: It's finally time to dump that VCR.
dwarner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-02-2003, 07:22 PM   #23 (Print)
lkusz

The only problem is the cost of the new equipment. The Tivo DVR was already a major expense for someone like me; I can't afford to just drop a grand of money on something like this. So I guess I'm relegated to being the "Tivo nanny" that I am already.
lkusz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-03-2003, 02:09 AM   #24 (Print)
quarkman97
All mobbed up!

Send a message via AIM to quarkman97
Amen!

Couldn't have said it better myself...

"Hands off my drummies!!"

"I'm not a plunker." --David Brent
quarkman97 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-05-2003, 07:28 AM   #25 (Print)
gastrof
VERY disappointed

Quote:
Originally posted by timf

------------------
Tim
DTVRwTS & Suggestion Avenue Moderator

And might I ask how you propose to archive? Or do you "not do that"?

Many people like being able to keep a show, even a whole series, recorded off the air. Many people have put HUGE hard drives in their TIVOs, but the fact remains even they have only a limited amount of space.

Getting a recording OFF the machine and onto separate storage media is a MUST.
gastrof is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-06-2003, 02:30 PM   #26 (Print)
mxyztplk

To timf, an inaptly-termed moderator:

I just did a search for "VCR" on this forum.

It listed hits on 488 threads, some 20 pages worth. Try it yourself.

Based upon this, it is apparent that many, many people are concerned with how well VCRs function in conjunction with TiVos.

Just a thought.

Last edited by mxyztplk : 11-06-2003 at 02:34 PM.
mxyztplk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-13-2003, 07:48 AM   #27 (Print)
lvirden

Send a message via AIM to lvirden Send a message via Yahoo to lvirden
I'm one of those who use their vcrs for archiving. In fact, I even do first time recording on the VCR -
stuff goes onto tape first time when it is something known to be viewed repeatedly over a longer period of time, and when two things are on at the same time and are not repeating in the short term, then the vcr is used.

If video on demand were less expensive than video tapes and covered all material on the television, then perhaps there would be less need.

1 TiVo Series 2 StandAlone, 40 hr, upgraded to 2 160 gig Maxtor drives

Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions.
lvirden is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-13-2003, 08:08 AM   #28 (Print)
BrettStah

Quote:
Originally posted by gastrof
Getting a recording OFF the machine and onto separate storage media is a MUST.
For you maybe, but others not so much. I only tend to archive from Tivo to my DVD recorder for shows that others miss.

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2003, 11:59 AM   #29 (Print)
dagap

I could have used this feature recently. We were preparing for a long car ride to visit relatives for Christmas. I prepared a 6 hour VHS tape for the kids to watch in the car... Arthur, Clifford, Dragon Tales, etc. It was a pain doing this manually.

I had to play one show, then come back later and rewind the tape to find the end of the show, then repeat.
dagap is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2003, 09:23 PM   #30 (Print)
ThAbtO
Tivo Internetist

Send a message via AIM to ThAbtO
When I transfer to tape, I hit the 'Timed Recording' feature on the VCR for the length of the program. The VCR then just shuts off regardless whether the tape has reached the end or not.

Most VCRs Have this feature, just hit the REC button on the VCR (not the remote ) a few times, and note the display on screen/VCR.

[ * ] [ * ] [ * ] [ * ]

------

Philips/14h/v2.5.1-01-1-000 since 10/22/01
v3.0-01-1-000 since 6/12/02

Series 2/v5.3-01-2-540 81 hrs since 12/29/2004/wireless/D-Link DWL-122
v7.1a-01-2-540 since 2/14/2005

Last edited by ThAbtO : 12-28-2003 at 09:45 PM.
ThAbtO is offline Report Bad Post Report Post