July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-08-2003, 08:57 PM   #1 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

What Part " Failed While Loading Data ?"

Has anyone tried making various hardware/software changes to try to find a solution to getting "Failed While Loading Data" messages? I've been getting a "Failed While Loading Data" message more and more on my Series2. It started out happening maybe once a week. Now, it's happening after one successful download. Once I get that message, all further downloads fail the same way until I reboot (soft or hard). Almost invariably, the symptoms are:

1) The TiVo will download properly (about 10 seconds via a broadband connection), go through "Processing Data" into "Loading Data" and then fail in the upper 60%/lower 70% range.

2) All subsequent calls (until the unit is rebooted) go through "Processing Data" for about 20 seconds, then to "Loading Data" (with no percent complete numbers) for about 10 seconds, and then "Failed While Loading Data."

What I'm wondering, is where the error is occuring. Just recently, the TiVo updated from version 4.0 (where I was seeing more and more of this problem) to version 4.0.1. After that, I had one successful download and then back to the "Failed Whle Loading Data" problem. Because of the new version and the subsequent partition swap (along with no stutters or any other AV glitch), that would seem to indicate it's not the disk that's the problem. I assume there's some kind of checksum process on all downloads, so it shouldn't be corruption of the download while moving through my network or the ethernet adapter. The lack of stutters or any other AV glitches seems to also indicate the processor and memory are ok. The TiVo's temperature is fine (44 degrees). What's left? What could be causing this?

At some point, I'd like to put my original 80GB drive back in and see if the problem keeps happening. If I can, I'd also like to try restoring backups of my original and current drives to a new drive. I've tried a Guided Setup. That didn't help. So, I'd also like to try clearing all my Thumb data (there's a LOT of it -- maybe it's overrun a buffer or something and Housekeeping isn't cleaning it up). And finally, I'll probably end up dong a full Clear & Delete Everything. Has anyone else done anything similar to try to track down this problem?

TiVo TCD240080 w/ Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet Adapter and 160GB 7200RPM Samsung SP1604N drive (150hrs 53mins @ Basic) with 4.0.1 Philips HDR112 w/ TurboNET and 120GB 5400 RPM Maxtor drive (145hrs 6mins @ Basic) with 3.0. Both hooked through powerlines to the internet via LinkSys PLEBR10 PowerLine EtherFast 10/100 Bridges, a D-Link DSS-5+ Switch, a SonicWall SOHO3 Internet Security Appliance, and finally a Toshiba PCX1100U Cable Modem (PCX DOCSIS)

Last edited by DaveLessnau : 02-27-2004 at 07:36 AM.
DaveLessnau is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-20-2003, 01:12 PM   #2 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

Interrim update: I swapped my 120GB Samsung SV1204H drive for a new 160GB Samsung SP1604N drive. I used dd to transfer everything on my old drive to my new one. After one successful call, I began getting the "Failed While Loading Data" error. So, it's almost certainly not a problem with the physical drive.

I then did a "Reset Thumb Ratings & Suggestions" on the new drive. It's still too early to tell, but so far, I've gotten through two sequential daily downloads without problem. I'll give it a few more days to see if it continues. If it keeps working, then I'd say that pretty much points to a problem with TiVo's Thumb data base. I wonder if this is related to the problem of TiVos occasionally losing their Thumbs ( http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=129488 )?

TiVo TCD240080 w/ Belkin F5D5050 USB Ethernet Adapter and 160GB 7200RPM Samsung SP1604N drive (150hrs 53mins @ Basic) with 4.0.1 Philips HDR112 w/ TurboNET and 120GB 5400 RPM Maxtor drive (145hrs 6mins @ Basic) with 3.0. Both hooked through powerlines to the internet via LinkSys PLEBR10 PowerLine EtherFast 10/100 Bridges, a D-Link DSS-5+ Switch, a SonicWall SOHO3 Internet Security Appliance, and finally a Toshiba PCX1100U Cable Modem (PCX DOCSIS)
Old 09-20-2003, 02:33 PM   #3 (Print)
rsnaider

Thumb database or someother DB. At this point I would attempt to watch everything and try a Clear and Reset everything.

If this does not solve the problem, you do understand that the TiVo software swaps active parittions between software upgrades. I am not sure if the undocumented software re-install boot up will force the swap or just for a re-install on the same paritition.

If the DB is corrupt, it is most likely caused by a bad sector on the HD where that part of the DB would be stored.

TiVo Series 2 - 376 Hours
Sony SVR3000 - 264 Hours
Toshiba RX-20 - 364 Hours
rsnaider is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-20-2003, 03:18 PM   #4 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

What I'm trying to do is methodically escalate up through the "severity levels" of things to do to fix this and localize it. Since I can't come up with any way (in my ignorance) that the problem could be from some other part of the TiVo, I'm assuming it's somewhere on the drives (either hardware, software, or database). Since the problem gradually got worse over the months as I added more and more to my Thumb data base, and because I've also had Thumb ratings mysteriously disappear, I'm really leaning towards that as being the problem. Because the problem survived a version-upgrade partition swap from 4.0 to 4.0.1 and a bit-by-bit copy from one hard drive to another, I've ruled out the disk hardware. My early calls with my Thumbs wiped (and only my Thumbs) seem to point to that being the problem. However, if I start getting the "Failed While Loading Data" problem again in the next couple of days, my next step will be to do a "Clear Program Information & To Do List" (just on the off-chance that there's something screwy in my program data that's carrying over from call to call). If the problem continues from there, then I'll go the full C&D route. After that, if the problem persists, I'll dd my original 80GB TiVo drive to the new 160GB drive and go through the whole process again just in case the image was bad on my 120GB copy in such a way that even a full C&D couldn't fix it.

Now, if I finally end up with a new disk and a fully C&Ded TiVo that still has the problem, then I'll have to say there's something broken (or getting there) somewhere else in the machine. But, I'm hoping to avoid that and come up with the least painful way for others to solve the same problem.

Last edited by DaveLessnau : 09-20-2003 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-20-2003, 03:30 PM   #5 (Print)
rsnaider

Your approach makes perfect sense, and I would do exactly the same. Resetting each DB as the menus allow leaving a full Clear as a last resort.

What I can add to your problem is a simiar one that has yet to be fixed for me. If I add some far reaching ARWL's such as SCI FI and Movies, and Action and Movies each of which will find over 200 matches, I suffer from random reboots. As soon as I removed these ARWL's the reboots stop once the Recording History falls below some threshold I have exceeded. This problem started with 3.2, and continues with 4.x.

Your problem may not be the DB, but similiar to my issue in that I have exceeded some upper threshold that the developers never thought would happen. With upgraded units we both have the ability to do things that TiVo did not intend to ever be an issue.

Just some more food for thought,

TiVo Series 2 - 376 Hours
Sony SVR3000 - 264 Hours
Toshiba RX-20 - 364 Hours
rsnaider is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-22-2003, 09:12 PM   #6 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

I'm pretty much certain I can declare success. I've had four days of successful downloads (something I haven't seen in months). So, if anyone is getting an increasingly frequent incidence of "Failed While Loading Data" messages that don't go away until a reboot, I'd suggest doing a "Reset Thumb Ratings & Suggestions." Repeating Guided Setup didn't help, nor did changing the physical drive. All-in-all, IMHO, I'd say this most likely points to a problem with TiVo's Thumb data base and its capacity.

I'm going to dd my original disk over to the new 160GB drive and reset the Thumbs again. Then I'll start repopulating my Thumbs. It'll probably take several months, but if the problem starts again when darn near everything in my Guide has Thumbs associated with it, then that should go a long way towards eliminating the possibility that some kind of disk problem was the original cause of the Thumb problem.

Old 01-24-2004, 07:43 AM   #7 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

Status Update: I've been running a tad over four months without problems. All the while, I've been furiously Thumbing guide data as it came in. Last night the problem happened again. Same symptoms. If this follows the same pattern as last time, I should get a similar failure in a week or two. Afterwards, as I add even more Thumbs, it should happen more frequently. If so, I'll reset my Thumbs and see if that clears the problem semi-permanently. I'll report the results then.

BTW: about a month after I initially cleared my Thumbs, I started seeing an occasional dropped Thumb rating on some of my previously rated shows (Simpsons, Home Improvement). This might be related and could be an early warning symptom.

Old 02-10-2004, 01:38 PM   #8 (Print)
HerbM

I appreciated your continuing updates on this issue.

I restored my TiVo from backup to a 14-hour recorder due to two failed drives (Maxtor 80s) and the guide data would not load.

One suspicion I had was that I have both cable and satellite so my guide data seems larger than would be necessary with either one alone.

I might never have considered clearing the "thumbs up" data but am working my way through those and other clearing steps one by one now.

It will take several hours before the first step succeeds or fails.
HerbM is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-10-2004, 09:06 PM   #9 (Print)
HerbM

Ok, thanks. I finally got my data loaded after 2-3 days of continuous failures.
HerbM is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-20-2004, 07:40 AM   #10 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

HerbM: I'm glad clearing your Thumbs worked. Another data point for TiVo to consider if they ever run across this thread.

If there's anyone from TiVo out there reading this, my Series2 TiVo is back to the point where it fails after one successful call. All symptoms are the same as they were when I started this thread. On Monday, 23 Feb 04, I'm going to reset my Thumbs again. So, if you're interested, and if it's possible, now's the time to look at my Series2's logs. I'm going to report this via an email to TiVo. But, I fully expect to get a message back thanking me for contacting them, but I'll need to contact my hardware vendor (which is also TiVo).

Old 02-28-2004, 09:18 AM   #11 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

OK. I'd say it's pretty much confirmed: there's some kind of capacity problem with TiVo's Thumb data base. I once again reset my Thumbs (took about two hours). And, once again, after four successful daily downloads, it appears the Failed While Loading Data problem has disappeared. It looks like I'll just have to modify my Thumbing behavior. Instead of rating everything I've watched, I'll only rate things I like (i.e., no Thumbs down). This is a real pain for trying to differentiate between things I've seen but didn't like, and things I haven't seen at all. But, I can't come up with an alternative. I hope 1) TiVo fixes this problem and 2) tells us when it's fixed.

On the positive side, with this modified Thumbing behavior, I no longer have to force a choice between one Thumb Up or one Thumb Down on shows I'm iffy about.

Old 04-21-2004, 02:18 PM   #12 (Print)
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

I saw the reference to this thread in the Coffee House; I doubt that anyone from TiVo would see this thread otherwise, since we don't normally read the Underground areas.

I'm having some folks investigate. In the meantime, Dave, if you can e-mail me your TiVo Service Number, we can take a look at your box in particular. One of our customer support engineers suggests that you have two unrelated problems. But we'd like to confirm.

NOTE: Due to the volume of Private Messages I received, I constantly had a full inbox, so I have disabled Private Messages. Please send me an e-mail instead. Due to the volume of e-mail I receive, please try to go through normal channels or post your question on the forum BEFORE contacting me directly, if possible. Thanks!
TiVoOpsMgr is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #13 (Print)
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Looks I am having the same problem.
I tried rebooting and no help, next I reran guided setup and I am stuck!
I get failed loading data there too and get back to now playing until I complete guided setup, which I can not do!

Any ideas, I have a lot of programs on there I wanted to watch!
MighTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-26-2004, 06:46 PM   #14 (Print)
NPBeacher

Send a message via AIM to NPBeacher
Quote:
Originally posted by MighTiVo
Looks I am having the same problem.
I tried rebooting and no help, next I reran guided setup and I am stuck!
I get failed loading data there too and get back to now playing until I complete guided setup, which I can not do!

Any ideas, I have a lot of programs on there I wanted to watch!

I've got similar issue with an unmodded Series 2. How do I get out of the Guided Setup Hell, since the data keeps failing to load? I'd be happy to do a C and D, but can't get that far.

Thanks!

tony

Old 05-26-2004, 08:03 PM   #15 (Print)
Norm_bone
Lord of the Turkeys

Just to submit one more data point.

Our (Series 2, 80 GB, ~16 months old) started showing signs of hard drive failure. I bought a 120GB Maxtor drive, and followed weeknees/Hinsdale's directions for upgrading.

I tried to DD from the old drive to the new, but after 20 hours, it still was giving "input/output" errors, which from other threads I interpreted as the hard drive definately being bad.

I did copy the compressed image, and decompress it to the new hard drive successfully, so I thought. It booted, reported 133 hours, and only 4 days of guide data.

That night, it rebooted and got hung on the Welcome screen. We unplugged it, and forced a daily call. The first one over the network gave a "Failed while loading data". We switched to phone, and got the same error.

Sometime that afternoon, the Tivo tried a call on its own and appears to have been successful. We'll monitor it, and if the problem recurs try clearing the thumb database.

Dave, thanks for the updates and thorough analysis!

Old 05-27-2004, 06:39 AM   #16 (Print)
Norm_bone
Lord of the Turkeys

Well, this is new!

I had what was reported as a sucessful download last night. Great.

When I hit the Tivo button, I get a PTM that there is only 3 days of data left, and I should force a call.

When I actually looked at show data, however, it ran for at least 13 days! It looks like the call worked, but for some reason the "nag-ware" doesn't realize it. I wonder what's going to happen in 3 days?

Old 09-11-2004, 11:13 AM   #17 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

Another update: after corresponding with TiVoOpsMgr four or fives months ago, I started re-Thumbing my shows. It took about four months, but, once again, I started getting the same Failed While Loading Data symptoms as before. I notified TiVoOpsMgr and hopefully they managed to grab some kind of data from my system.

This time, I've let the error continue by not resetting my Thumbs. It's been about three weeks now and I've noted some other symptoms that I thought I'd pass on:

- First, it's possible to plow through the error by rebooting and redownloading. The point of failure in the Loading Data phase moves out after each reboot until I can finish processing. At first, it took only one reboot and reconnect to successfully finish the process. Now, it takes two or three reboots. A couple of days ago, it took me five reboots and reconnects before I could reach a successful completion. I have no idea how a TiVo processes those downloads, but the behavior of the "% complete" number is interesting. After each reboot and reconnect, that number practically races through the lower numbers until it gets to the spot where the last failure occurred. Then it resumes its normal, slow, slogging. If the process fails and I reboot and reconnect, the "% complete" number races to the new failure point before slowing down again.

- Second, this failure seems to cause TiVo to ignore its Time of Next Call that it sets after every successful download. When I bash my way to success, I've noted the new Time of Next Call is pushed out sometime past 24 hours. Yet, many times I've turned the television on the next day and seen that the TiVo has attempted a call just a few hours after that successful call (usually ending up with a "Failed While Loading Data" message sitting on the download status page). This might be related to the "nag-ware" not resetting that Norm_bone noted, above.

- And, finally, I'm pretty sure that this error is keeping those yellow-star messages from appearing on my main menu. I've only seen one or two of them since the problem popped up again. I'm not certain of this, it's just that the number of these I'm seeing doesn't seem to match what I was seeing before.

I was hoping TiVo could come up with some kind of patch that I could test (highly unlikely, I know). But, with all the reboots, it's taking me 30-40 minutes to process a daily download. If the number of reboots necessary for a successful completion continues to increase, pretty soon I'm going to have to clear my Thumbs again just because of the time. Hope this helps.

Old 09-22-2004, 04:15 PM   #18 (Print)
cmalinowski

I had an 80-hour that had a drive crash. Got a new 160gb drive off ebay. All seemed to work well. Actually did guided setup from phone. Hooked it up to the home network. Now I am getting the "failed while loading data" message right at 87%. I have no thumb data. This thing was essentially clean. I am in the middle of a C&D as clearing out just the thumb data did nothing to fix it.

Any other thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Chris
cmalinowski is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-26-2004, 09:15 AM   #19 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

The "Failed While Loading Data" problem just got too big for me. I was up to three reboots in order to force my way through to a successful download. So, for the third time since I started studying this, I cleared my Thumbs. Once again, this solved the problem. I've gone through three daily downloads without problem.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:43 PM   #20 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

Another update. When my Series2 got the 7.1a update, I once again started Thumbing all my programs. Not only is the problem not solved with 7.1a (and thus survived yet another system update and partition swap), but it actually seems worse. The other three times I went through this process, it took about four months for the problem to re-appear and then several months after that to slowly work up to a failure with every call. With 7.1a, it took about three weeks to get my first Failed While Loading Data and another couple of weeks to hit the failure with every call point. I'm resetting my Thumbs right now and will just stop Thumbing entirely.

My guess is that with the extra load 7.1a seems to put on TiVos, more people ought to start experiencing this problem soon.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:17 PM   #21 (Print)
skfeist

Angry Failed While Loading Data is my TiVo's new theme song

Well Dave, you were right about more people experiencing the Failed While Loading Data problem. I have an 80 hour Series 2 that began to fail every few days about 4 months ago. Restarting fixed the problem after 1 or 2 tries. Now it fails while loading data every time, andis taking 5-7 restarts to load data. Currently it is on try #8 with no success. I have repeated guided setup and, after reading this thread, have deleted all thumbs. I wish my TiVo were as accomodating as yours because it is still failing. I have not had this thing long enough for it to have died--if it has, what a collasal rip-off. Where can I turn for help? I loathe the idea of wiping everything and losing all my wishlists and season passes. Is this even a guaranteed fix? I'd like to know before I go that route.
Thanks,
Nyc Bee
skfeist is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-10-2005, 07:08 PM   #22 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for you. Since my TiVo always starts succeeding with its downloads as soon as I Clear Thumbs, I've never had to progress beyond that to a full Clear and Delete. Maybe someone else has gone through this and done a full C&D and will chime in.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:04 AM   #23 (Print)
purefct

Failed while loading data also

Hi Dave,

Yep, I also thumb a lot and after maybe a year of restarting the Tivo in order to load data, restarting doesn't appear to work. At first I was restarting every 6 weeks, then about two months ago it was about two weeks, then in April it was every time I wanted to load, this week I tried 4 or 5 times without success and tonight I rebooted three times in a row witout success. I season pass and wishlist almost 200 items (wishlists of 2003, 2004, and 2005 create a lot of ToDo's) and I rely on the thumbs to know what to delete in my Todo list. Losing the thumbs will ruin my Tivo pleasure. I'm going to try the 30 minute power down and then guided setup, but if it comes to losing thumbs I have one more reason to not buy an HD Tivo (I have an HD TV).

Peter
purefct is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-28-2005, 06:58 PM   #24 (Print)
purefct

Dave!

I left my tivo unplugged overnight (waited for a recording to finish and didn't want to wait another hour before going to bed) and after connecting the power this morning I successfully performed a manual download! It took a while after that for the ToDo list to fully populate, but I'm pretty happy. The next scheduled attempt is tonight near midnight, I'll try to update this thread tomorrow with the results.

Peter
Old 04-29-2005, 07:18 AM   #25 (Print)
lvirden

Send a message via AIM to lvirden Send a message via Yahoo to lvirden
Angry

I wanted to add to this thread. I've had my series 2 for 17 months now. Before March 2005, I saw an occasional failure to connect to the server, and I don't recall having seen a failure to load data - if I saw it, it must have only been one or two times. I've thumbs marked probably 80% or more of the guide data (80-100 channels), with over 200 season passes and probably 2-3 dozen wishlist entries.

Whe I got the 7.1a upgrade, I immediately began to see an increase in failures to connect to the server at all. I recall the first or second weekend afterwards, I went probably 3-5 days without a connect. That seems to, in general, gotten a little better. I maybe see one or two fo these a week now. That's still a lot more than we saw before.

However, my tivo next began displaying the failure to load problem in increasing occurance.
I think we have at least 2-3 of these a week now - whereas before, if we had 1 I don't recall
it. I mentioned in another thread that I've a strategy I'd been following, where I try another connect, then do a reset of the tivo, then do a shutdown altogether of the tivo. One of these has
always resulted in a success. However, the last power out that I did resulted in a real scare, because the tivo didn't boot up! I actually had to power cycle several times.

Is there supposed to be a safe way to power cycle?

Anyone here with this problem gotten the 7.1b upgrade yet?

1 TiVo Series 2 StandAlone, 40 hr, upgraded to 2 160 gig Maxtor drives

Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions.
lvirden is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 04-29-2005, 11:28 AM   #26 (Print)
purefct

The bad news for me is my automatic download failed while loading data last night, failed again this morning. I'm leaving on a trip so I'm not sure I'll respond quickly after this, but I'll power down again sometime today between recordings to try a manual download.

Regarding the question about a safe way to power cycle, you could try the standby mode under "Messages and Setup" but I thought I read that the unit is designed by nature to always be on, even in standby mode, and is "not affected" by unplugging it. But I doubt it was designed for the frequent power cycling we are utilizing.

I am on version 7.1a
Old 04-29-2005, 09:17 PM   #27 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by purefct
Regarding the question about a safe way to power cycle, you could try the standby mode under "Messages and Setup" but I thought I read that the unit is designed by nature to always be on, even in standby mode, and is "not affected" by unplugging it. But I doubt it was designed for the frequent power cycling we are utilizing.

Yep. Standby doesn't do anything but turn off the output ports on the TiVo. Everything else is still running. The only ways to power down the TiVo are 1) a soft boot: go to to Messages & Setup -> Restart or Reset System -> Restart the TiVo DVR -> give it three Thumbs Down and an ENTER, or 2) a hard boot: pull the plug. I've never had any problems with either, although I've had cases where the soft boot didn't clear problems when a hard boot did.

lvirden: can you describe what happened when the TiVo didn't boot back up?

Old 05-02-2005, 06:10 AM   #28 (Print)
lvirden

Send a message via AIM to lvirden Send a message via Yahoo to lvirden
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveLessnau
lvirden: can you describe what happened when the TiVo didn't boot back up?

Yup - I got the gray start up screen that a series 2 shows when powering up. And that was it. It sat for about 3-4 times the length of normal time, and occasionally there was a flicker as if the whole process was restarting. After a couple of these, I then tried to re-power cycle, got the same thing, and then, at the third power cycle, things came up.

1 TiVo Series 2 StandAlone, 40 hr, upgraded to 2 160 gig Maxtor drives

Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions.
lvirden is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #29 (Print)
DaveLessnau
Love My TiVo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvirden
Yup - I got the gray start up screen that a series 2 shows when powering up. And that was it. It sat for about 3-4 times the length of normal time, and occasionally there was a flicker as if the whole process was restarting. After a couple of these, I then tried to re-power cycle, got the same thing, and then, at the third power cycle, things came up.

That sounds like it could be drive related. From your sig, I see you've got an upgraded TiVo. You might want to pull the drive and run some diagnostics from its manufacturer on it (remember not to boot into XP/Win2k with the TiVo drive in the computer).

Old 08-25-2005, 11:06 PM   #30 (Print)
purefct

LVIRDEN, I have been powering off my tivo a lot over the last few months. I encountered problems turning it on after a while. So I began initiating a restart and then once the drives sounded like they powered down THEN I unplugged the unit. I haven't had a problem when plugging in since!