TiVo Community Forum

TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

View Poll Results: Should Direct TV Get Off Ther A-S-S and do somthing about helping VOIP People
H-Yes 61 64.89%
Would Cancle soon if they dont 7 7.45%
Dont care 18 19.15%
No 8 8.51%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 09-06-2004, 11:56 PM   #1 (Print)
tualagoodknight

VOIP, Broadvoice, Vonage, AT&T, CallVantage DirectV With Tivo Problems

I have been on the phone with DirecTV, TiVo them Selves and BroadVoice (My Voip Service, very knowledgeable customer service and only $9.95 per month for unlimited in state.) They all say the same thing "Cant do it yet" TiVo told me that when the market calls for it they will upgrade there software to do such a thing as to using alternate routs for daily call-in's. DirecTV Told me to look on the same boards that we are reading now to find the answerers and had nothing to say about USB they referred me to TiVo directly, So here in lyes my circle of frustration. One good thing out of this night was when I was on hold with TiVo themselves I tried a number of things that have been suggested one was even a lower modem speed dial in code of ,#019 it did a test call but then failed a true daily call? so I started doing more options, putting a DSL filter in Line with the TiVo (that was a suggestion by someone) SO I try the test call again, It failed. So I say screw it and try another Daily call and sure as shi-ht me talking to the TiVo guy just after he told me that TiVo does not support VOIP it has a successful dial in and update. Sure as sh-Hit and I told him and he was a little speechless, and so he should have been. I think what we are dealing with here is a bunch of what ifs when Dialing in, can cant who know try and try again and see if you can get a dial in. It sure does sound like a problem with DirecTV and something they need to upgrade to there boxes to get a USB to ethernet router Internet option to dial in. They one guy said it best they are loosing out on PayPer View dial in but if I remember correctly they can still grant the PPV to you over the satalight line and not the phone. I remember with my old Direct TV i never plugged it into the wall and I could still get PPV. Oh Well any other suggestions or trick that have worked please let me know.

Thanks for all off your stories, makes me less mad knowing that other people are running into the same problems and Im not singled out by DirecTV,

Kyle
tualagoodknight is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-07-2004, 10:16 AM   #2 (Print)
nick123

I had the same problem...all I did is add a fax line to my vonage service, then plugged the tivo into the fax line and it worked perfect. Note: the "fax line" is a seperate phone number and a seperate jack on the vonage adapter. The down side is its another 10 bucks a month. But I did get it set up that way. You then dont really need the phone line except to order ppv movies....

Hope that helps.

Nick
nick123 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-07-2004, 09:05 PM   #3 (Print)
reavesb

Hey nick123 - let me make sure I've got this straight.
With a Vonage FAX line you can do the Initial Setup and everything?
I understand that a Vonage fax line is a tad higher-quality because it is expecting to handle "digital" traffic (faxes) . . . does that make it higher-enough line quality so that Tivo "thinks" it's dealing with a real honest-to-goodness landline?
Thanx - Bruce
reavesb is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-07-2004, 09:49 PM   #4 (Print)
mjh
Re: Member

I answered "Don't Care". Not because I don't have VoIP; I do. I've just managed to get my TiVo to work with Vonage, so if DirecTV does or doesn't do something doesn't really matter to me.

12/02-04/03: SA TiVo S2, 40hr, stock, lifetime (sold)
Prior to 12/02: Coveting. MASSIVE coveting
mjh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-08-2004, 02:07 AM   #5 (Print)
tualagoodknight

WOW

That Last post needed to keep his vote silent what a D-I-C-K thing to post in a forum. Your picture shows you as a "Carring" father sure dosen't come accross that way when behind closed doors of the computer world. Next time make your vote dont leave a thread belittling everyone elses misfortunes. I bet your the type of guy that when 9/11 hit you told yourself glad it was them and not me, Oh and don't reply to this no mater what you say from hear on out everone who reads this will think you are even that much biigger of a D-I-C-K Head
tualagoodknight is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-08-2004, 12:01 PM   #6 (Print)
nick123

OK then, back to vonage...

Well now that I added a fax line, not only did the tivo work but my fax (imagine that!) works too, it didnt before. I just did another daily call in from the tivo.... it went through just fine no problems at all. All the tivo phone settings are the default as well. (I didnt lower the modem speed or anything).

It seems like vonage is not allowing "fax" type of calls (dialup, fax, anything that schreeches, etc) through the standard line as you would expect on a regular line.

I guess this makes sense, since they are selling the "fax" line separately.

Again I'm just observing, I dont know for sure, but it works and seems to make sense.

What do you think?

N
Old 09-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #7 (Print)
Splitsec

Will Vonage let you get only a fax line? If so, then you don't really need a regular line. I am sure the Fax line will handle your lowly voice just fine, and you can knock $10 or so off your bill.

Split
Splitsec is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-08-2004, 06:37 PM   #8 (Print)
nick123

That would be nice, but I dont think it works that way. you have to have a regular line first then you can add a fax....you get 250 minutes of outgoing faxes a month then its like 3.5 cents a minute after that (depending on the plan, thats residential). That should coverall the tivo calls in a month I would think.

I think the thing to get from this though is that the fax line works...

Now why does it work and how can we get rid of it (and the $10 fee if we dont really need it) and use the regular voip line...is it just a quality issue? can we turn up the "voice quality" via the website then would it work? can vonage change a setting on our account to allow for "faxes" over the voice line if we tell them the tivo needs it?
Old 09-10-2004, 06:57 PM   #9 (Print)
mjh
Re: Member

Re: WOW

Quote:
Originally posted by tualagoodknight
Next time make your vote dont leave a thread belittling everyone elses misfortunes.
Wow, right back at you!

I don't believe I was belittling anyone else's misfortune. I simply answered honestly. I don't see any reason to care about a problem that's already solved for me. I empathize with those who haven't yet solved it, but it's water under the bridge for me. Sorry you're still stuck with it.

For what it's worth, shouldn't this question include responses from people like me who have already solved the problem? If, for example, the vast majority of DirecTV + Vonage users have solved this problem then why should DirecTV or Vonage really care? I don't actually know what percentage of DTV + Vonage users have solved this problem. But don't you think that there's room for this information in a question about whether or not DTV should do something?

I do - that's why I posted. I didn't mean to strike your ire. Apologies if I came off cold.

12/02-04/03: SA TiVo S2, 40hr, stock, lifetime (sold)
Prior to 12/02: Coveting. MASSIVE coveting
mjh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-10-2004, 08:34 PM   #10 (Print)
farleyruskz
Nunya

Re: WOW

Quote:
Originally posted by tualagoodknight
That Last post needed to keep his vote silent what a **** thing to post in a forum.

Wow.

Why did you bother to make "Don't Care" an option in your little survey if you're going to insult those who vote that way?
farleyruskz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 05:23 PM   #11 (Print)
cowboys2002

Ah, nothing like a somewhat new user (less than 10 posts) flaming a seasoned veteran.

VOIP technology for home users is still in its infancy. DTV cares and so does Vonage.
Unless it is "personal" to the engineers, owners or managers, they will not lose much sleep over it. And contacting them and being irate does nothing to speed the process along.

There are several helpful threads and posters on this forum. Just use the "useful" information, and ignore the rest. Makes it easier on all of us.

Relax, and welcome to the community!

Oh and FYI:

From the FAQ

7. No Flaming - On the Internet, flaming is giving someone a verbal lashing in public. There is to be no flaming of members of this forum, other people, or any company.
cowboys2002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post