TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2004, 08:23 AM   #271 (Print)
Aquatic

My 2 cents.... 1 upgraded HDVR2, 1 virgin, both showing the "cosmetic anomaly" Guide data SAYS it's current to today, but TODO shows stuff Scheduled through 23 January, least it did as of last night when I checked it. I did notice it was recording SOMETHING around 3am eastern, but dunno if it was a suggestion or not. It wasn't the nightly ad, as only one machine was recording it. I even picked up the "move" of Monday's "Vegas" to 9:10 eastern, from 9:00pm. Sooooo....

We shall see what we shall see.

fixing it soonest wouldn't be a bad idea though.

HP PL5000N 50" Plasma
CP 3025, ch 66 & 73
DirecTV since 1996
Tivolutionary since 2002
Aquatic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 10:35 AM   #272 (Print)
paulfife

Re: won't set season pass for "Real Time with Bill Maher"

Quote:
Originally posted by jp3008
I attempted to set a season pass for "Real Time with Bill Maher" on HBO... the new season starts off this Friday @ 8 p.m. When I view upcoming episodes it shows them but it won't select any of the episodes to record.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Thanks much...

I've seen similar behavior when adding SPs in the past. Usually within a bit (for sure by the next day or so) the episodes are added to the ToDo list. You may have added the SP while some indexing or something like that was going on in the background. If they still aren't in there then you've probably got something wrong. Check the recording history too to see if it says anything about the upcoming episodes.
paulfife is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 10:51 AM   #273 (Print)
ufo4sale

Why can't they disable the message all together until the can fix it?
ufo4sale is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 10:56 AM   #274 (Print)
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

Presumably, that disabling itself would require a software update, and I for one would rather they fix the underlying problem for those who are having it instead of rushing out a cosmetic fix which may cause its own problems.
Fustanella is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 10:59 AM   #275 (Print)
drew2k
!revetahW

Quote:
Originally posted by ufo4sale
I would guess it's because it's a complex set of rules that determines when that message is displayed, and if they just sent an update to temporarily disble the message, it could affect users that really DON'T have guide data (for example, a new TiVo just being set up).

Old 01-14-2004, 12:45 PM   #276 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
Quote:
Originally posted by ufo4sale

Disabling of the message is the fix. It'll require a software download, which DirecTV has this thing about testing out the wazoo before it gets pushed to all of their (DVR) subscribers.

If it bothers you that much, put some duct tape across that part of your screen.
dr_mal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 12:54 PM   #277 (Print)
drew2k
!revetahW

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_mal
Disabling of the message is the fix. It'll require a software download, which DirecTV has this thing about testing out the wazoo before it gets pushed to all of their (DVR) subscribers.
No, the message is not the problem. The problem is a timing issue that causes the TiVo to think that the guide data is incomplete despite the fact that it isn't. The message being displayed is just a symptom. The fix requires resolving the timing issue in the background process that evaluates "completeness" of the guide.

Old 01-14-2004, 01:08 PM   #278 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Quote:
Originally posted by drew2k
No, the message is not the problem. The problem is a timing issue that causes the TiVo to think that the guide data is incomplete despite the fact that it isn't. The message being displayed is just a symptom. The fix requires resolving the timing issue in the background process that evaluates "completeness" of the guide.

...which will disable the message. I don't think we're in disagreement here; I may have poorly worded my response (wouldn't be the first time).

I'll make a Hail Mary attempt at when this'll be resolved:

TiVo aware of issue: 1 week ago (?)
TiVo fixes issue: by the end of this week.
DirecTV internally tests new version of software: Week of Jan 19-23
DirecTV thows little switch to start the rollout to a random sampling of customers: Jan 26.
DirecTV throws big switch to rollout the software to everyone: Feb 9, staggered through Feb 27 so as not to overload the servers with everyone downloading at the same time.

Just a guess. DirecTV isn't known for being agressive with DirecTiVo software rollouts.
dr_mal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 01:10 PM   #279 (Print)
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

I'm not sure what people are saying about the Guide data being complete. My Guide runs out at 7:00 PM on Friday the 16th. The only shows listed are movies or shows that began before that and run past 7:00 PM.

My "TO DO" list only shows MANUAL recordings after that.

I just called the 1-800-695-9251 number again and got this:

A man with a calm voice stated that there's no known issues. He had received no calls. He insisted that I merely had to RESET my D*TiVo and that would solve my Program Guide problems.

After going through that 3 minutes process, which did not work, he put me on hold to talk to a Supervisor. When he came back he said that, yes, there is a problem with the warning message, but no ones reporting any Guide Problems.

B.S. .....................

My D*TiVo will become a VCR by Friday night. What a pain. I have started to switch over to all Manual Recording. Currently I show them out to the 27th. Again, Season Passes will run out Friday night.

Drew: "The problem is a timing issue that causes the TiVo to think that the guide data is incomplete despite the fact that it isn't." - isn't so, for many of us !

Old 01-14-2004, 01:59 PM   #280 (Print)
djbrown

Dmon4u: Send your Tivo Service # to TivoOpsMgr. Tell him your symptoms, and they can dig thru the logs.
djbrown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 02:00 PM   #281 (Print)
psweig

Well, my guide data has always been incomplete; some channels stop at an earlier date that others, so for me this is normal. Also, there has always been text box saying that some guide data for some channels will be later than others. *If* there is a continuous stream of data then then the new "acquiring data" message is merely redundant, not incorrect. There is a massive guide snafu, but it has nothing to do with the message. I am lucky, as I have no problems with my SPs, that I haven't always had (2 years).

Old 01-14-2004, 02:41 PM   #282 (Print)
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

Thanks djbrown !

An E-Mail has been sent to TiVoOpsMgr.

==

D*TiVo functionality turns into D*VCR (or should I say D*Basic) functionality. Times just ticking away..............

Old 01-14-2004, 04:45 PM   #283 (Print)
vanduse1

PM to TivoOpsMgr

I just PM'ed TivoOpsMgr as well. I have been missing SP's and the ones for later this week say "won't record." Hopefully we can get get worked out soon.
vanduse1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 07:11 PM   #284 (Print)
seo

Re: PM to TivoOpsMgr

Quote:
Originally posted by vanduse1
I just PM'ed TivoOpsMgr as well. I have been missing SP's and the ones for later this week say "won't record." Hopefully we can get get worked out soon.

You might want to e-mail him; I don't think he looks at the PM's. (check his profile)
seo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 07:56 PM   #285 (Print)
dd9

Quote:
Originally posted by dr_mal

Obviously DTV is not in the business of testing software even remotely as that is what caused the problem in the first place. They made a software change on their end that caused this problem with all combo boxes.

DTV never tests Tivo sofware releases. Tivo does (under contract to DTV).
dd9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 07:57 PM   #286 (Print)
dd9

Quote:
Originally posted by drew2k
No, the message is not the problem. The problem is a timing issue that causes the TiVo to think that the guide data is incomplete despite the fact that it isn't.

Timing issue? I don't recall reading that as an official problem. Did I miss the post or are you speculating?
dd9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2004, 08:03 PM   #287 (Print)
psweig

Quote:
Originally posted by dd9
Obviously DTV is not in the business of testing software even remotely as that is what caused the problem in the first place. They made a software change on their end that caused this problem with all combo boxes.

DTV never tests Tivo sofware releases. Tivo does (under contract to DTV).

Obviously, TIVO doesn't do it well or it wouldn't be this buggy. I reiterate, we are all beta testers.

Old 01-14-2004, 08:04 PM   #288 (Print)
djbrown

Quote:
Originally posted by dd9
Timing issue? I don't recall reading that as an official problem. Did I miss the post or are you speculating?

It's known that it came about because of a quasi timing issue with the current software release, the particular code snippet of which has been in place since 2000. Speculation is, with some merit IMHO, that they used 2^30 (or 2^31, can't remember) to act as "infinity" for the storing the date info. Using that, UNIX dates ran out around 1/5/04 or so (look back in this thread for specifics), which is on the outer reaches of the two week window we typically see for guide data when the problem was first reported.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:05 PM   #289 (Print)
djbrown

Re: Re: PM to TivoOpsMgr

Quote:
Originally posted by seo
You might want to e-mail him; I don't think he looks at the PM's. (check his profile)

estephen@tivo.com
Old 01-15-2004, 08:59 AM   #290 (Print)
vanduse1

Re: Re: Re: PM to TivoOpsMgr

Quote:
Originally posted by djbrown
estephen@tivo.com

Done. Thanks!!!!
vanduse1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-15-2004, 09:05 PM   #291 (Print)
Agatha Mystery
Annoying Know-it-all

Send a message via AIM to Agatha Mystery Send a message via MSN to Agatha Mystery Send a message via Yahoo to Agatha Mystery
well, I've lost all my channels AGAIN. With this 'erroneous' message, I've had to reboot 4 times in the last month or so because I have lost my channels. They all just disappear.

This is getting old.

Old 01-15-2004, 09:29 PM   #292 (Print)
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Send a message via AIM to litzdog911
Agatha Mystery:
Have you reviewed Blankman's post at the top of this forum regarding losing channels?

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=115194

It's doubtful that this has anything to do with the "Acquiring Guide Data" issue.

Sony SAT-A4, B4 Receivers
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
litzdog911 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-15-2004, 09:51 PM   #293 (Print)
JPriller
just some guy

Quote:
Originally posted by litzdog911
It's doubtful that this has anything to do with the "Acquiring Guide Data" issue.
Probably not. But looking through that thread (started May 2003!) didn't make me very confident that this problem would be addressed quickly. I'm not having anything besides the "cosmetic problem" myself yet, but it's still worrisome.

Old 01-15-2004, 11:48 PM   #294 (Print)
purple6816

Can we get HMO in the update also. PLEASE.

Dont flame me I just am wishing.
purple6816 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-15-2004, 11:49 PM   #295 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally posted by purple6816
Can we get HMO in the update also. PLEASE.

Dont flame me I just am wishing.
No harm in wishing TiVo does an "oops" and throws the wrong switch, huh?
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2004, 12:42 AM   #296 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Fofer
I was hoping it was only cosmetic, but tonight, for the first time in almost 2 years, I missed two recordings. As I mentioned in another thread, "Friends" and "The Apprentice" did not record. I have high priority Season Passes for both of them. They were not repeats and my satellite is receiving a strong signal. I had checked my To Do list 2-3 days ago and everything was set to record. No conflicts. I am pretty proactive in checking my scheduled recordings, and I see no reason at all why these two shows didn't record.

To Do List says simply that they didn't record "because they were no longer in the guide data."

Yet I see them in the Live Guide -- in fact, I caught the last 10 minutes of "The Apprentice" live when I noticed what hadn't recorded. Any clues?

Unrelated or not, seems odd that that DTV would let this "erroneous" message appear on their flagship receiver for all this time. They're pushing this unit, hard... what's the delay in making it work properly?
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2004, 12:50 AM   #297 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Possible explanation: NBC has been messing with their program start and end times recently. It's possible that DirecTV had removed the old "wrong" start and end times for those shows, but the new "correct" start and end times hadn't been fully indexed by the time they were broadcast. I think shows on NBC not recording is much more likely to be related to NBC's screwy guide data, not a message that's being displayed when it shouldn't be.

Old 01-16-2004, 01:03 AM   #298 (Print)
hawkbug

I'm very stressed right now...

I was having the same problem as everyone else with their TiVo tonite not downloading guide data, and I also missed tivo'ing Friends and The Apprentice. Shows I very much wanted to see. Stupidly, I called DirecTV without first consulting this forum.... and that was my worst mistake with this device so far. The guy on the phone had me go to the restart option on the main menu, and restart the Tivo. It hasn't worked since. It keeps rebooting itself until I unplug it, and then after I unplug it and try to start it up, it says something about a Critical Error and wait 3 hours, and if it still doesn't work, call tech support. Yippy. After about 20 minutes, it tries to restart itself and keeps looping like that until I unplug it. Damn Tivo and your messed up program guide! Now there is something seriously wrong with my device and it worked just fine before I restarted it....
hawkbug is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2004, 02:26 AM   #299 (Print)
PaleGreen1

My DirecTivo didn't record the new Will & Grace tonight (Thurs), even though it was on its To Do List beforehand. The Recording History says:

1/15 8:59 pm Will & Grace Not Recorded:
...no longer in the program guide.
1/15 9:28 pm Will & Grace Not Recorded:
...video signal was unavailable on Satellite In 2.
1/15 9:32 pm Will & Grace Not Recorded:
...no longer in the program guide.

I don't know what's up with those messages, especially the second one, because I get a great reception on both inputs (no trees or other interference), and we have clear skys tonight.

But I've had enough with NBC's stupid schedule (I noticed they're doing the same kind of thing next week). I cancelled my Season Passes for Friends and Will & Grace and replaced them with a weekly Thursday manual record of NBC from 8:00 pm - 10:00 pm. They can screw around with their schedule all they like now -- they're not messing me up anymore!
PaleGreen1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2004, 09:08 AM   #300 (Print)
JPriller
just some guy

Re: I'm very stressed right now...

Quote:
Originally posted by hawkbug
It keeps rebooting itself until I unplug it, and then after I unplug it and try to start it up, it says something about a Critical Error and wait 3 hours, and if it still doesn't work, call tech support.
Was it a green screen (the "Green Screen of Death"?) That'd mean a hard drive failure (bad sectors or something) the TiVo attempts to recover from, and likely would have happened the next time you restarted the TiVo anyway if it didn't eventually hang up and/or reboot itself. Probably nothing at all to do with the guide data problem.

You'll need to replace the disk. www.weaknees.com sells replacement drives with the TiVo software already on them, if you haven't got an extended warranty (or the DirecTV Protection Plan, or whatever they call it) then that'd be the simplest option.