THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2004, 04:11 PM   #61 (Print)
hookbill
Feathered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Claude5382
As a generality, most of us on this forum are a pretty anal retentive group. We check the internal temperature three times a day, we complain about a 1.5 second sound delay after a fast-forward, we check in the morning what time our units acquired their "Service Data Download" and was it completed or finished, we focus on every operation and notice any change no matter how minuet. How do I know? Because I too am a card-carrying member of the group.

No offense meant by this Claude but statements like this kind of get under my skin. "Most of us are anal retentive"? You get this from six months of observation in this forum? I do not check my TiVo temperature that often I check about once a week. And complaining about the sound delay? Absolutely right, they needed to fix that and they did. How is that being anal? And this statement about 90% of TiVo owners don't care. Where in the heck are you getting your stats?

I think many of us have seen these small problems come up and they sometimes turn into bigger ones, i.e. there is a problem now with some type of slowdown (I notice it on the "to do list"). Whether it is related to the cosmetic issue of the subject, I have no idea. Why does it bother me that it's a bit slower? I keep clicking on the wrong show because I was use to it working faster. It's frustrating.

Point is this product is high tech and it should be working at least as good or if not better then when they do upgrades or develop bugs. Second point is since Direct TV took over the DVR I for one think it hasn't been up to par or upfront with us on problems that are, or have been occuring. Now I may be a bit high on my expectations, I'll go along with that but hardly anal.

Old 01-04-2004, 04:19 PM   #62 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Quote:
Originally posted by RSchyns
Is anyone seeing this acquiring program guide data issue on a virgin or non-modified dtivo?

Yes.
jsharper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2004, 04:37 PM   #63 (Print)
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

Quote:
Is anyone seeing this acquiring program guide data issue on a virgin or non-modified dtivo?
I have a SAT-T60 whose only change has been a larger hard drive (80GB from 40), fwiw. The notice displays but I'm experiencing none of the problems that others have noted.
Fustanella is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2004, 04:45 PM   #64 (Print)
djbrown

Quote:

Yes. It's been confirmed by Tivo that this is occuring on all units. Whether or not it's truly just cosmetic appears to be vary by unit.
djbrown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2004, 07:04 PM   #65 (Print)
psweig

yes

Old 01-04-2004, 08:11 PM   #66 (Print)
ruexp67

More than just cosmetic

Well I have two HDVR2s and neither of them have been modified in any way.

One of the Tivos seems to have this as a cosmetic problem only, but the other one DID loose all of it's guide data. Searching by title did not show ANYTHING and all of my SPs and WLs showed no shows. Even watching live TV offered no information on the current show.

I rebooted both TiVos and am getting at least SOME guide data on both. However many specifics of shows are not coming through, just titles only. My SPs for the Spike TV power block shows (Horsepower TV, Car and Driver TV, and Trucks) did not record (although one of the Tivos recorded it as a suggestion.) I have manually checked my recording for the near future, but I would rather not have to micromange my To Do List.

Help please!
ruexp67 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2004, 09:55 PM   #67 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Re: More than just cosmetic

Quote:
Originally posted by ruexp67
Help please!

Sorry to say, there is very very little we can do on our ends. It is problem that needs to be fixed by DTV and Tivo.

Best you can do is call and complain, and try to get a credit on your account for your inconvience.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-04-2004, 10:00 PM   #68 (Print)
Claude5382

Quote:
Originally posted by hookbill
No offense meant by this Claude but statements like this kind of get under my skin. "Most of us are anal retentive"? You get this from six months of observation in this forum? I do not check my TiVo temperature that often I check about once a week. And complaining about the sound delay? Absolutely right, they needed to fix that and they did. How is that being anal? And this statement about 90% of TiVo owners don't care. Where in the heck are you getting your stats?

Hookbill;

You are correct, no offense was intended and I apologize for any offense you felt. I may have only been a member of this forum for three years but I have owned my TiVo for three years.

Quote:

I think many of us have seen these small problems come up and they sometimes turn into bigger ones, i.e. there is a problem now with some type of slowdown (I notice it on the "to do list"). Whether it is related to the cosmetic issue of the subject, I have no idea. Why does it bother me that it's a bit slower? I keep clicking on the wrong show because I was use to it working faster. It's frustrating.

I spent 27 years in the computer industry. I have managed over a thousand software and hardware engineers on various projects. I have personally owned computers since the first Apple came on the market. One thing I have learned is that no piece of electronics is perfect. There are acceptable and unacceptable levels of performance. IMHO TiVo is on the very high end on the acceptable performance scale.

Quote:

Point is this product is high tech and it should be working at least as good or if not better then when they do upgrades or develop bugs. Second point is since Direct TV took over the DVR I for one think it hasn't been up to par or upfront with us on problems that are, or have been occurring. Now I may be a bit high on my expectations, I'll go along with that but hardly anal.

I have also had the opportunity to manage a national customer service organization and recognize some of the problems inherent in making sure that all customer service people receive the most current and correct information at the same time. Maybe for this reason I tend to give the CSR's a little slack. I too have gotten dumb if not down right silly answers from DTV CSR's and when I do, I always ask for a supervisor and eventually get the best info that they know. (which may or not be correct) You also have to realize that not every person they deal with has the same depth of knowledge that you possess . There are a number of items that come up on this forum that the average TiVo user is not even aware of. (maybe 90% was an exaggeration) This is why I believe this forum provides an invaluable service in providing information to those that do care from a number of highly sophisticated users, such as your self. Those users also help DirecTV and TiVo stay on the straight and narrow. I also believe that we help them to discover problems they might not even be aware of. Again sorry for any offense and keep up the good work.

Old 01-04-2004, 10:24 PM   #69 (Print)
psweig

Claude, no offense, but this business of expecting high tech to be imperfect and accepting it, is one of the reasons we get such poor service. I've been around for along time myself, as a computer consultant, and believe me, in the "old days" you didn't put anything buggy on the market. If you did it would promptly come back. The public has become paying beta testers.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:19 PM   #70 (Print)
kroddy

Quote:

have it on both of mine: my bedroom one is unmodified.

kroddy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 08:42 AM   #71 (Print)
emayracing
TiVo-holic

Sorry if this was already addressed - and I missed it.

I too have that error - and the Service Reps at DTV (Karen, in particular) did an excellent job informing me that they are aware of it, it isn't just my set, and they are trying to resolve it. (Thanks Karen!)

However, this post states that it does not cause any other problems.

Here is my question. I have that message - but my Program Guide only goes up to 1/12/03. That's only 8 days worth of programming. I am use to having about 14 days. This means when I go to set a recording for say 1/13/03 - it doesn't have it.

Perhaps, I've become spoiled having my guide 14 days in advance. But since this message has appeared, I have not received a guide update.

What is going to happen on 1/12/03 - will I have no guide data at all?

Thanks
emayracing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 08:55 AM   #72 (Print)
gawarner

Try this --- search REAL WORLD by title

Real World San Diego starts this Tuesday 1/6 on MTV, channel 331 at 10 pm eastern time. It's appearing in my To Do List, but it's nowhere to be found when you search by title.

Related?
gawarner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 09:38 AM   #73 (Print)
djbrown

Re: Try this --- search REAL WORLD by title

Quote:
Originally posted by gawarner
Real World San Diego starts this Tuesday 1/6 on MTV, channel 331 at 10 pm eastern time. It's appearing in my To Do List, but it's nowhere to be found when you search by title.

Related?

I've noticed numerous 'errors' of this type the past week or so, all occuring after the "acquiring program data" message began to appear.

It's clear that it's causing problems on SOME units.
Old 01-05-2004, 10:21 AM   #74 (Print)
LlamaLarry
Lookin At Your Lumps

Send a message via AIM to LlamaLarry
I too have the message but don't think I am having any scheduling problems on either of my units. When did the msg first start appearing? My HDVR2/3 rebooted one night (while I was sleeping I guess) as it lost 30 sec skip, etc. I was wondering if the error kicking in was tied together. A "Last Boot" flag would be very handy for debugging in general, BTW.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:36 AM   #75 (Print)
emayracing
TiVo-holic

just to clarify my issue

On my system - which has the "acquiring" error - absolutely nothing works past 1/12/03.

If I do record by time - there is nothing at 5:52 on 1/12/03. (except the DTV Info channels)

If I do search by title - the last item on a search is from 1/12/03 - even though I know that there are some on 1/13 or even 1/14

My todo list stops at 1/12/03

And if I spend the time to page through my guide (which I did) - it also stops at 6:00pm on 1/12/03.

Basically, since this error has occurred, my system doesn't know anything after 1/12/03 exists.

Initially, I found this on 1/1 - in which all my stuff ended on 1/9. Then I rebooted, now it all ends on 1/12. I'd hate to have to keep rebooting to move in 3 day increments. :-)

I'm glad Tivo is looking into this - but I hope they realize for many of us (it appears) it is more than just a cosmetic error.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:25 AM   #76 (Print)
vstone

Quote:
Originally posted by djbrown
well, my Series2 have EVERY season pass as empty, and a "Search By Title" for these shows doesn't turn up anything, though they do have entries in the dialy schedule (Angel on TNT for example). My To-DO list is clear until 1/6, when it picks up 2 Playmaker episodes, again despite an empty Season Pass for it.

Even weirder? My KUID Angel SP recorded today at 4 PM, but it didn't mark it as a save until I delete after recording it.

My to do list was the same way and much of the program data was missing. I'm also wondering about a first day of the year effect.
vstone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 11:29 AM   #77 (Print)
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

Right now, I've Suggestions listed through the eleventh, which seems low save that I've seen similar behavior in past months. We shall see.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:52 PM   #78 (Print)
Indiana627

As of yesterday I had shows listed in the To Do List up to the 14th. I have not missed any shows due to this error message (which I do have).

(1) Hughes SD-DVR80
(1) Hughes GAEBOA
DTV customer since January 2003
Indiana627 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 01:14 PM   #79 (Print)
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

Good point - To Do List is a better gauge than Suggestions. Lessee: yep, solid until 5pm Fri-16-Jan, which is what I'd expect.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:39 PM   #80 (Print)
djbrown

Quote:
Originally posted by Fustanella
Good point - To Do List is a better gauge than Suggestions. Lessee: yep, solid until 5pm Fri-16-Jan, which is what I'd expect.

One of my units continues to have an empty To-Do list. The other one is populated as expected.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:39 PM   #81 (Print)
Dayton-Dave

There may be something to this 1/12 thing. I have noticed that on the one soap opera that I record, all descriptions of what is on that day become generic on 1/12. Up to 1/9 the program description is very specific for that day. Other Season Pass shows from 1/12 on in Primetime have specific guide data, as they always have had. My TO DO List goes to 1/16.

Does anyone know if the switch from Tribune EPG information to Gemstar (TV Guide) has officially happened? I do notice some differences in EPG data between my D-TiVo, & my stand alone hooked to cable, both have some of the same channels, in particular the locals. These channels should have the same program description on both if Tribune was still providing data to DirecTV. I know this may have been covered before but I still think this is a part of this problem.
Dayton-Dave is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 01:44 PM   #82 (Print)
emayracing
TiVo-holic

Quote:

Why do you expect Jan 16th? I'd expect Jan 18th or even 19th?

Granted, I don't pay that much attention - but usually my todo list is 14 days in advance - sometimes 13, but seldom less.

Unfortunately, mine is stuck on the 12th now. But I'm curious why you'd expect the 16th?
Old 01-05-2004, 03:48 PM   #83 (Print)
DevilishTX

Mine is more than a "Cosmetic issue" as well

I have two un-modified Hughes units (hdvr2/3).

I get the "acquiring" message.

Now for the odd part.

When I go to search for shows to record, many of them, seemingly on a random basis do not show up on the list of programs to pick.

However, they do show up in the guide.

Example, I was searching for a certian basketball game last Saturday.
I went into pick programs: sports: basketball...

I then entered A, R, looking for an Arizona game.

Non was listed.

However, scrolling through the regular Tivo guide, i found the game , properly title as "Arizona at Arizona State."

This is but one example.

I have found other programs in the guide, but not in the search/pick programs to record.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:11 PM   #84 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

Shows at the end of the Guide Data will show up in the guide before they register in the Season Passes or other search functions. The raw data is there, but it hasn't been processed yet.

This is usually just the last day or so of Guide Data, but for some networks, it takes longer to show up (USA is notorious for this; it tends to run several days behind the rest).

Old 01-05-2004, 04:19 PM   #85 (Print)
Ghenghis

Angry

This is certainly not a "cosmetic" problem. A "cosmetic" problem would be if the ONLY thing wrong was that the "Acquiring satellite data" message appeared erroneously, but all other function was normal. This is broadly not the case by a long shot, per postings here.

In my case, I have three HDRV2/3 completely stock units. All three units have the erroneous, supposedly cosmetic, message problem.

On two of them, I'd say the problem IS cosmetic. On these units, the date that guide data was last attempted and successfully retrieved has been incrementing daily, and is a day or two behind the "guide data through" date (the date that setup shows as the last date for which guide data has been downloaded). These two units are recording season passes normally, and program banners have accurate information.

The third unit has run out of guide data and has stopped recording my season passes. The program banners have no information. The last attempted and successful guide data download date on this unit is December 24, 2003, and the "guide data through" date was January 4 or 5 (this morning when I looked, I don't remeber precisely).

All units are making successful daily calls, the accounts are in good standing, and the software version is the same (3.1.1b-02-2-511).

The erroneous "Acquiring satellite data" message I can live with. The symptoms presented by the third unit are wholly unacceptable. C'mon Tivo & DTV. This needs to be fixed pronto.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #86 (Print)
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghenghis
This is certainly not a "cosmetic" problem.
It certainly is for me.
Old 01-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #87 (Print)
llurgy
Yorkshire Lass

My guide finishes exactly 6.30pm on January 16th. I have several programs that I know are on at 7pm on the same day but they are not showing up on the guide.
So my guide is pinpointed to 6.30pm 01/16/04.

Oh, and it is still 'dog' slow when in the programs to record menus.

Mandy
llurgy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 05:11 PM   #88 (Print)
drew2k
!revetahW

Quote:
Originally posted by Ghenghis
This is certainly not a "cosmetic" problem.
Quote:
It certainly is for me.
This is certainly NOT a cosmetic problem when TiVo receivers are losing functionality. These systems were built and billed as TV Your Way, and one of the selling points was about the many features to search for programs in ways other PVRs do not. If these units are suddenly incapable of finding programs except for sequentially scrolling through a program guide, then they've lost functionality and the problem has to be upgraded from "cosmetic" to a new level that at least acknowledges a non-critical loss of functionality.

I've already reported in another thread that there's a bug since 3.1.1b was released that message icons don't always correctly display on DirecTV central, so we know there are other issues with this software version. There could be more bugs with this version that we don't know about.

They've acknowledged the problem with the guide data and say they are working on it, so I'm willing to wait, but with the attention this thread is gettting, especially just after the holidays when many new users are joining the TiVolution, I would hope that TiVo gives us some kind of update soon.

Last edited by drew2k : 01-05-2004 at 05:16 PM.
drew2k is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 05:14 PM   #89 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally posted by drew2k
This is certainly NOT a cosmetic problem when TiVo receivers are losing functionality.

Correct.

However, for those with the message and NO LOSS OF FUNCTIONALITY, it is a cosmetic problem -- for them.

I didn't read Fustanella's post as saying anything other than that.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 05:29 PM   #90 (Print)
Rob Helmerichs
New grandfather

...and as noted earlier, what loss of function I have experienced (slowdown of the menus) predates the message by several weeks if not months. There may be more than one problem here...