July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-06-2005, 10:10 PM   #961 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally posted by MauriAnne
The unit isn't a new one.... so I should have acquired my guide data a long time ago.

It's got to UPDATE the guide data that it acquired a long time ago, right? That's a constant process, and I'd imagine that there are plenty of things that would cause that message to occassionaly appear.

But I agree with dr_mal...

The problem people were having a few months ago was that the message was being displayed all day, every day, for a very long time (like months) until a software update was sent to everyones DTiVos.
aristoBrat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 10:40 AM   #962 (Print)
MauriAnne
Here we go Steelers!

Send a message via AIM to MauriAnne
I guess I just thought the message was coded & should only be displayed when it was a new unit or had been unplugged for a long period of time. I wouldn't have thought that it would show up periodically when it was acquiring new data because it does that all the time.

But, as I said, the message only reappeared briefly -- so I'm not going to worry about it... (and I'll do my best not to think about what was in the programmer's head when they coded the message).

Anne
MauriAnne is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-07-2005, 03:22 PM   #963 (Print)
dr_mal
It's CWS time

Send a message via ICQ to dr_mal Send a message via AIM to dr_mal
I don't know why I keep getting all worked up about this

Sorry if I kind of jumped on you Anne.

Yeah, if the message appears sometime after setup, I'd think it meant that SOMETHING had gone wrong, but the message is most likely accurate -- it probably is acquiring new information for whatever reason. As long as it only appeared briefly, I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 01-07-2005, 10:21 PM   #964 (Print)
MauriAnne
Here we go Steelers!

Send a message via AIM to MauriAnne
Quote:
Originally posted by dr_mal
I don't know why I keep getting all worked up about this

Sorry if I kind of jumped on you Anne.

No worries, Doc... sorry I hit a sore spot.

Anne
MauriAnne is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-17-2005, 04:27 PM   #965 (Print)
LordJohnWhorfin

FWIW... I'm having the same problem on my 4.0.1b HDVR2s. I initially thought I had screwed something up with the upgrades (although they've been working flawlessly for months) and I'm glad to see it's a problem seen on unhacked TiVos.
On my box things are fine after a restart, but after some time (a day or so I think) programs no longer show up in searches, although they're in the program guide; and their recording is cancelled.
For instance, I have a season pass for Star Trek: Enterprise. If I go to the season pass editor after the problem occurs, it will report 0 upcoming episodes. Rebooting takes care of the problem.
LordJohnWhorfin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #966 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

so does a guidepatch
check the other forum

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-17-2005, 04:58 PM   #967 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Send a message via AIM to Fofer
Quote:
Originally posted by LordJohnWhorfin
FWIW... I'm having the same problem on my 4.0.1b HDVR2s. I initially thought I had screwed something up with the upgrades (although they've been working flawlessly for months) and I'm glad to see it's a problem seen on unhacked TiVos.
On my box things are fine after a restart, but after some time (a day or so I think) programs no longer show up in searches, although they're in the program guide; and their recording is cancelled.
For instance, I have a season pass for Star Trek: Enterprise. If I go to the season pass editor after the problem occurs, it will report 0 upcoming episodes. Rebooting takes care of the problem.

LordJohnWhorfin,

The problem you're describing is actually different from the erroneous "Acquiring Guide Data" message. I am sharing the same problem, running 4.0 on an HDVR2, and have resorted to rebooting every 3-4 weeks to try and take care of it. It's described in more detail here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=199023

I was hoping that upgrading to 4.0.1b would help ameliorate this annoying problem... but from the details of your post it sounds like it will remain.

I wish I had more details to share or knew how to trigger it... or knew of a real confirmed fix.
Fofer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #968 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally posted by Gunnyman2k3
so does a guidepatch
check the other forum

Thanks for the tip... looks like this bug, which manifests itself with the erroneous message, can also result in "real" guide data problems (like the ones I'm experiencing.)

I'll check out that patch and see if I can stomp out the problem once and for all.
Old 01-17-2005, 05:25 PM   #969 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

Fofer
The fix does indeed work. For those of us with Hacked, DTivos the error is a side effect of the 4.01b software install.
The fix is a simple one. Plent of help "over there" to get 'er done

Old 01-17-2005, 05:40 PM   #970 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Well I am still running 4.0. I think I'll take the weekend to finally upgrade to 4.0.1b, and will then do the "guide patch" update.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:12 PM   #971 (Print)
aham23

Send a message via ICQ to aham23 Send a message via Yahoo to aham23
What to do ?....................

So I havent had my T-60 plugged in to a phone line for over 400 days. I just live with the "error message." It has worked fine and recorded everything I wanted it to. Do I even need to worry about getting this upgrade? Does it just fix the "erroneous error message." Thanks.

Sony Sat-T60 (Tivo!)
Sony STR-DE675
Sony DVP-360
Sony SLV-688HF
Cerwin Vega 5.1 Speakers
Xbox (Live Enabled)
aham23 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-17-2005, 08:13 PM   #972 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

DTV released a fix in 3.1 e I believe that fixes the guide problem the 3.x DTivos have.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:16 PM   #973 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally posted by Fofer
Well I am still running 4.0. I think I'll take the weekend to finally upgrade to 4.0.1b, and will then do the "guide patch" update.

FWIW, I upgraded from 4.0 to 4.0.1b using the "slices" method from the other site. Took about 15 minutes, didn't require pulling the drive from the TiVo, and I didn't lose any recordings (saving me endless whining from my roommates).
Old 01-17-2005, 08:26 PM   #974 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally posted by aristoBrat
FWIW, I upgraded from 4.0 to 4.0.1b using the "slices" method from the other site. Took about 15 minutes, didn't require pulling the drive from the TiVo, and I didn't lose any recordings (saving me endless whining from my roommates).

Yes, I imagine I'll be doing it the same way. A generous helper has pointed me in the right direction so I have all the pieces. Dunno why I've been so hesitant to do it thus far. I suspect it's because I'd planed to pull the drive anyway to do a full backup first, just in case something went wrong, and pulling the unit out is such a huge PITA that I've just kept putting it off.

Hmm.

Maybe I should just throw caution to the wind and do it without pulling the drive or making a full backup. It's just TiVo, right? What could possibly go wrong?

Old 01-17-2005, 08:37 PM   #975 (Print)
aristoBrat

Quote:
Originally posted by Fofer
Maybe I should just throw caution to the wind and do it without pulling the drive or making a full backup. It's just TiVo, right? What could possibly go wrong?

Saving this quote for future use.
Old 01-17-2005, 08:52 PM   #976 (Print)
Fofer
Blah blah blah

Quote:
Originally posted by aristoBrat
Saving this quote for future use.

Oh great, thanks. Your little smilie has pushed my procrastination for at least another 2 weeks.

I have a blank drive ready for a full backup... it's just such a huge PITA to unplug all those friggin' wires. And everything else is working so well...

GRRR
Old 03-27-2005, 05:59 PM   #977 (Print)
EricG
TiVo Junkie

Why am I STILL getting this message on one of my HDVR2s?
3.1 e

Hughes HDVR2 (35 hr)
EricG is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 09:21 PM   #978 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricG
Why am I STILL getting this message on one of my HDVR2s?
3.1 e
Maybe it was acquiring program guide data when you looked. Sometimes they actually do.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 09:27 PM   #979 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Actually, my series 1 DSR6000 has been showing this message for a few weeks now. And, I have checked it often.

Old 03-28-2005, 11:52 AM   #980 (Print)
pbolya
HR10-250 with 550GB

I did not get the message but after little over a year without the bug yesterday my series 1 SAT-T60 has dropped all of the channels (call D* on all channels) and the scheduling so it it did not record a lot of stuff. After reboot the channels and the schedule came back but the todo list was emtpty for a long time. I guess it needed indexing. Also all the channel setup is gone and had to set it up again. This is exactly what happened before a year ago with the exception of the acquiring program guide data message. I hope they didn't just removed the message on 3.0.1c2 (series 1) and left the bug but that is what it looks like. It is strange that nobody had any reports of these strange occurences for a long time and all of the sudden lot of us starting to see the different bugs again. This is not looking good.

Regards,
Peter

Hughes DVR-40 (Unmodified)
pbolya is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 02:02 PM   #981 (Print)
Fish Man
Chubby Hubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbolya
I did not get the message but after little over a year without the bug yesterday my series 1 SAT-T60 has dropped all of the channels (call D* on all channels) and the scheduling so it it did not record a lot of stuff. After reboot the channels and the schedule came back but the todo list was emtpty for a long time. I guess it needed indexing. Also all the channel setup is gone and had to set it up again. This is exactly what happened before a year ago with the exception of the acquiring program guide data message. I hope they didn't just removed the message on 3.0.1c2 (series 1) and left the bug but that is what it looks like. It is strange that nobody had any reports of these strange occurences for a long time and all of the sudden lot of us starting to see the different bugs again. This is not looking good.

Regards,
Peter

You are describing another bug, which is discussed in this thread which is still a "sticky".

After over 2 years, apparently DirecTV and TiVo still haven't gotten to the bottom of this one.

My Series I units do this roughly once per year. It's a royal pain when it causes them to miss recordings, but a reboot always fixes it.

Fish Man is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #982 (Print)
pbolya
HR10-250 with 550GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Man
You are describing another bug, which is discussed in this thread which is still a "sticky".

After over 2 years, apparently DirecTV and TiVo still haven't gotten to the bottom of this one.

My Series I units do this roughly once per year. It's a royal pain when it causes them to miss recordings, but a reboot always fixes it.

Thanks.

Hughes DVR-40 (Unmodified)
pbolya is offline Report Bad Post Report Post