Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-08-2004, 08:29 PM   #181 (Print)
PeteB

Drew2K

Hey Drew, Different topic sorry, but you're hot!

PeteB is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 08:37 PM   #182 (Print)
Semarin

Send a message via ICQ to Semarin
Re: Drew2K

Quote:
Originally posted by PeteB

Semarin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 09:24 PM   #183 (Print)
jfischer

Quote:

This is why I don't use my picture anywhere on a public forum
jfischer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 09:47 PM   #184 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow

Quote:

hehe. drew2k has a stalker!
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-08-2004, 09:49 PM   #185 (Print)
trainman
Man of Trains

Send a message via AIM to trainman
Quote:
Originally posted by justapixel
This morning, I discovered that the Gilmore Girls was still in re-run, so I didn't miss it. I record first run only. However, doing a Search by Title did not find it; I checked my Season Passes and it says No Upcoming Shows. That's a bit odd since it IS in re-run and I should see episodes even if I am not recording them, but I have not missed anything.

If you have a season pass set to First Run Only, and there are only reruns in the guide data, the show will be listed as "None Upcoming" at the bottom of the To Do list and "No Upcoming Shows" in the show information screen you get to from Season Pass Manager.

I can't explain its absence from Search by Title, though, unless there really aren't any showings in the next 12-13 days.

Old 01-08-2004, 10:05 PM   #186 (Print)
tonydi

Quote:
Originally posted by justapixel
This morning, I discovered that the Gilmore Girls was still in re-run, so I didn't miss it. I record first run only.
You probably DID see the 1/13 GG episode in your Season Pass at one point earlier this week. It was in mine (FRO) and it was in the Guide. Then it disappeared from the Guide and subsequently from my SP. Recording History was correct in that it said the reason was no longer in the guide.
tonydi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 03:27 AM   #187 (Print)
speedy4022

I was wondering if anyone had any idea when this would be fixed I am seeing gaps in my guide data. For instance on my Samsung unit in the living room Monk's season premiere is listed as title to be announced however my bedroom Hughes unit has guide data for the monk season premiere as well as a marathon leading up to it.

R-15
Hughes SD-DVR 40
Samsung SIR-S4120R 100 hrs
R10 70 Hrs
all unhacked
speedy4022 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 05:12 AM   #188 (Print)
JackStraw

HDVR2, only have guide till the 11th, on some channels guide ends late
today. Yesterday on NFL channel it said to be announced. I notice several time slots with no data information. I'm no rebooting if I'm going to lose
50 hours of stored programming. I have 105 hr hardrive from Weaknees.
I live in Nevada. My next call is scheduled for tommorow.

This is bull, why should some Tivo users have data through the 21st and
others don't. I believe this problem occured because we went from 2003
till 2004. Either that or DirectTV sent down some new code which corrupted system. The software doesn't just fail unless the code was altered. I wonder if DirectTV looked into the possibility their code was hacked by a
disgruntled employee or maybe someone who wanted to affect the Tivo
share price. How about a person who was upset over the Murdoch purchase.
JackStraw is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 09:10 AM   #189 (Print)
djbrown

I specificially asked TivoOpsMgr if a new software version was pushed out to the boxes, or if the problem was with the current software release and a specific set of circumstances that triggered the message. It's a date-related code problem that's been in place since 2000 but is just now occuring because of the amount of time elapsed.

There was earlier speculation in this thread or another one about Unix dates "running out" right around 1/5/04 or so if the code used 2^30 (??) as "infinity". Sounds like that might be the problem here.

No info on when it might be fixed though.
djbrown is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 10:33 AM   #190 (Print)
racer21

Quote:
Originally posted by speedy4022
I was wondering if anyone had any idea when this would be fixed I am seeing gaps in my guide data. For instance on my Samsung unit in the living room Monk's season premiere is listed as title to be announced however my bedroom Hughes unit has guide data for the monk season premiere as well as a marathon leading up to it.

I have a similar problem with American Idol. On my Hughes, where I have the season pass, it has not appeared. A search does show any upcoming episodes and a manual search for the time slot of the premiere appears as "To be announced". Yet on my Sony, American Idol does appear in the program guide.
racer21 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 11:28 AM   #191 (Print)
Semarin

Send a message via ICQ to Semarin
I sure hope they get this fixed soon. So far, I only missed Wednesday'sseason pass recordings for that night (It recorded the ones earlier in the day). Until it's fixed I guess I'll have to kepe checking to see that things are set to record each night and haven't "disappeared" from the program guide .

David
Semarin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 11:59 AM   #192 (Print)
edrock200

Send a message via AIM to edrock200
Quote:
Originally posted by djbrown
I specificially asked TivoOpsMgr if a new software version was pushed out to the boxes, or if the problem was with the current software release and a specific set of circumstances that triggered the message. It's a date-related code problem that's been in place since 2000 but is just now occuring because of the amount of time elapsed.

There was earlier speculation in this thread or another one about Unix dates "running out" right around 1/5/04 or so if the code used 2^30 (??) as "infinity". Sounds like that might be the problem here.

I can rule out the software update unless software updates come via satellite now. My boxes haven't been plugged into a land line for a few months.

Old 01-09-2004, 12:08 PM   #193 (Print)
edc

urgh. Yet another indication there is something more than a "cosmetic" problem with this guide error. A new error popped up yesterday on several people's boxes.

Quote:
Error

An internal error occured.

The error occured in the FindActions context.
Error code: UpdateData failed after surf

There is a separate thread on it, but it belongs here too...
edc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #194 (Print)
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

I saw the "surf" error once about eight months ago, and it was gone from the same program the next day, fwiw.
Fustanella is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 01:50 PM   #195 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Quote:
Originally posted by JackStraw

This is bull, why should some Tivo users have data through the 21st and
others don't. I believe this problem occured because we went from 2003
till 2004. Either that or DirectTV sent down some new code which corrupted system. The software doesn't just fail unless the code was altered.

The code doesn't have to change to break something. Remember, DirecTV is constantly sending down EPG guide data on the various transponders and your dtivo is constantly receiving and processing and storing and using that data. The data most likely changed in such a way as to cause problems. It could be the data is now malformed, or it could be that there is a bug in the tivo code that processes that data and the data has just never looked this way before so the bug wasn't found (but the data might still be "valid" according to the specs). Or the specs could be ambiguous and it might not be clear if the current data is invalid or if the code is at fault. In any case, it is DirecTV's responsibility to either fix the data or get their partner, TiVo, to fix it and make sure the fix gets deployed.

As far as why it is affecting everyone differently... Well, DirecTV prepares the EPG stream and injects it into the datastream of all of the transponders so that your receiver can receive the data no matter what transponder it is currently receiving (the transponder it is tuned to is determined by what channel(s) you are watching and which transponder that particular channel is on). That datastream is quite possibly a little different for each transponder due to each transponder having a different amount of bandwidth "leftover" from the other data it carries and available for the EPG data. So keep in mind that everyone is probably looking at the transponders in a different order and at different times. This can account for different behavior between dtivos even in the same house. Now, add on top of that the fact that the spotbeam transponders on 101 carry a different datastream in different parts of the country. So, it is even conceivable that the guide data in one part of the country is broken and it is fine everywhere else... And the effects of that would vary in that part of the country depending on how often your receiver is tuned to a "local" channel.

So it's not necessarily quite as simple as "who changed the code"...

Although I haven't yet noticed it being anything other than cosmetic for both of my dsr6000s which receive the Phoenix, AZ local spotbeams, I sure hope they fix it soon.... both for the annoyance of the message and lack of useful "guide data available up to..." date, and for just in case it starts causing problems with my units. I'm also about to help someone with a new install of dtivos and I'm hoping it doesnt cause complications with initial population of the data... it would really put a sour taste in their mouths, especially since they've been without tv for 2 wks after their move while waiting to get dtivos all installed, where they know they'd have had cabletv the day they moved in.
jsharper is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #196 (Print)
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

FWIW, my SAT-T60 is holding strong with two-weeks-out guide data. However, Suggestions at present show a couple of ones mixed in with the ones - a behavior I've not seen before. Perhaps indexing is underway.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:27 PM   #197 (Print)
Da King
Technogeek

Send a message via ICQ to Da King Send a message via AIM to Da King Send a message via Yahoo to Da King
FWIW, I called DirecTV the other day and asked about the problem. Got the standard, "Yes, we know its a problem, we're working on it" kinda thing. I explained that the DVR service was not working as expected, and asked if I could get credited for the period that its down. The CSR put a note in my file saying that I should be credited my DVR service from 12/27 thru whatever date they finally fix this issue.

Yeah, big deal, it'll probably save me $5. But at least they'll credit you back the DVR charges while its down.
Da King is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 02:29 PM   #198 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Quote:
Originally posted by Da King

Yeah, big deal, it'll probably save me $5. But at least they'll credit you back the DVR charges while its down.

Will they credit me all of my $0/month (I have lifetime) or just part of it?
Old 01-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #199 (Print)
Alecp

That's stupid to ask for a credit. What inconvenience is it causing? I do see your point though, if enough people start asking for (and receiving) credits, they'll become more motivated to fix the problem as it starts to affect their bottom line.
Alecp is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 02:34 PM   #200 (Print)
Directv&TivoGuy
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to Directv&TivoGuy Send a message via Yahoo to Directv&TivoGuy
Quote:
Originally posted by Da King

have we become this cheap??? it's very dissapointing. It's not like your dvr isn't working. Just plain silly.

Directv&TivoGuy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 02:36 PM   #201 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Quote:
Originally posted by Directv&TivoGuy
have we become this cheap??? it's very dissapointing. It's not like your dvr isn't working. Just plain silly.

Um, for some people (the ones askign for a credit), it IS like their dvr isn't working. it doesn't record their shows when it should. and it doesn't know what is on in the future. that's the whole point of a dvr.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:43 PM   #202 (Print)
Trekker182

I plan on asking for at least 3 months of free showtime and a dvr credit.

Trekker182 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 03:26 PM   #203 (Print)
blix

Quote:
Originally posted by djbrown

while this is just speculation... if this was a traditional unix date that was for some reason stored in a 30 bit format, then the date would blow up 01-10-2004 13:37:03 GMT. Assuming program data is about 2 weeks in advance, that would mean the problem would show up at approximately 12-27-2003 13:37:03 GMT. Normally unix dates are 31 bit (at least) and do not blow up until 2038.
blix is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 03:58 PM   #204 (Print)
Wilhite
no stinkin' title...

Quote:
Originally posted by blix
while this is just speculation... if this was a traditional unix date that was for some reason stored in a 30 bit format, then the date would blow up 01-10-2004 13:37:03 GMT. Assuming program data is about 2 weeks in advance, that would mean the problem would show up at approximately 12-27-2003 13:37:03 GMT. Normally unix dates are 31 bit (at least) and do not blow up until 2038.

Interesting. The original thread discussing this problem started on 12/28/03 at 10:00am (not sure what time zone though).

I wonder what might happen to our beloved Tivo units in another 16 hours or so??
Wilhite is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 04:06 PM   #205 (Print)
Oknarf

Exclamation

I'm seeing the message on both DirecTivo's in our house. DSR6000R01 and HDVR3. I didn't notice it until I installed a new unit last week at the in-laws and saw it. Didn't give it much thought until I looked for it and saw it on both of my units.

Nothing else is malfunctioning but the guide data is stated as "through Jan 09" on both.

Otherwise everything is recording as scheduled and no audio drop outs via optical toslink on DSR6000. HDVR3 is hooked up via analog audio.

FrankO

A64, 1GB, 1TB, Dual Tuner, Win MCE
HTL-HD 4 Sale!
DSR708 80hr 6.2
DSR708 80hr 6.2+ ;-)
HDVR2 160GB 6.2+ ;-)
DSR6000 120GB
Oknarf is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 04:21 PM   #206 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally posted by Wilhite
Interesting. The original thread discussing this problem started on 12/28/03 at 10:00am (not sure what time zone though).

I wonder what might happen to our beloved Tivo units in another 16 hours or so??
One theory would be that once the date passes, thereafter or as older guide data is purged from the database, the problem will probably disappear.

Another theory might be that the whole scheduler will have a heart attack.

dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #207 (Print)
jsharper
rebmeM weN

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
One theory would be that once the date passes, thereafter or as older guide data is purged from the database, the problem will probably disappear.

Another theory might be that the whole scheduler will have a heart attack.

Good point; DirecTV and tivo might just be waiting until after that rollover in hopes (or in knowledge) that the problem will vanish and they'll have ~34.025 years to fix it before it happens again.

Has anyone happened to have seen the year 1970 show up anywhere on any screen on their tivos lately? That would be really strong evidence that this is indeed the problem.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:32 PM   #208 (Print)
Wilhite
no stinkin' title...

Quote:
Originally posted by jsharper
Has anyone happened to have seen the year 1970 show up anywhere on any screen on their tivos lately? That would be really strong evidence that this is indeed the problem.

My Tivo Suggestions included "Mod Squad", "The Brady Bunch", "Mannix" and "Love American Style" the other day. I just thought that Tivo was thinking I liked old TV shows.

Wilhite is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 05:21 PM   #209 (Print)
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

Quote:
Originally posted by jsharper
Has anyone happened to have seen the year 1970 show up anywhere on any screen on their tivos lately?
No, but "That 70s Show" came in as a suggestion just last week. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:53 PM   #210 (Print)
Dmon4u
Unresponsive User

I've finally had time to check mine. After next Friday Morning, only my recordings set Manually still are listed on " To Do " schedule.

I'll make my complaint call on Monday.