Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 02-15-2004, 05:33 PM   #1 (Print)
javahmo

Lightbulb HMO Protocol improvements

The following are mostly technical suggestions for improving the HMO protocol and functionality which will allow developers to add new kinds of content and interactivity. Most of the suggestions would make HMO more flexible and configurable than it is currently implemented.

1. The published specifications of the HMO protocol needs to also include the DTD/Schema of the XML payloads.

2. Publish the list of error codes generated by TiVo. Each error code should categorized and explained in detail.

3. Support debug mode of TiVo for HMO developers. This could include developer versions of TiVo HMO software.The logging of HMO activities on TiVo should be available.

4. Classify image sizes in addition to sending the required image dimensions: thumbnail, medium, fullscreen. This would allow the HMO server to improve performance by caching thumbnail versions of images more effectively. This would also allow support for different screen dimensions.

5. Add a service to the HMO beacon to support notifications. When a notification is available, the beacon coul be tagged. TiVo will then request the notification from the HMO server. The notification could be displayed in various ways which should be user-configurable on the HMO server. The notification could be displayed as a text or image overlay on the live TV, or even as an audio track played over the live TV audio. The user could use thumbs buttons to indicate whether complete message should be displayed which would jump to associated HMO section directly. The thumbs down button could be used to remove the notification or after a configurable timeout the notification indication would be removed automatically. Icons could be used to display the kind/source of message. The kinds of notifications could include severe weather alerts, stock triggers, instant messages, email notifications.

6. Allow labels used at top of screen on TiVo to be customized. This would allow for better labeling of dynamic content.

7. Allow audio and image folders and items to be mixed. For example, there could be an image and an audio version of the same content. The user should be able to pick which within the same folder.

8. Allow jumps to fullscreen view when an item in a list is selected. Items could be tagged to not show the intermediate view. This would provide better interaction for dynamic content.

9. Support additional custom play options. For example, same genre, mood, year, etc. Items could be tagged in the XML payload with the custom play options which will then be passed to the HMO server in requests.

10. Support auto-refresh on fullscreen image (like animated Gif). Items could be tagged with a refresh time and TiVo would automatically refresh the screen with new requests to the HMO server. This would allow for live webcam updates.

11. Allow image items to be tagged with audio tracks. This would allow for slideshows to have accompanying sound.

12. Support custom music browsing options in addition to the current options such as Arrange by Type, etc. The XML for folders could be tagged with custom browsing options. These options could then be selected by the user and then passed to the HMO
server on requests. The custom options should also be mapped to keypad shortcuts.

13. Support the display of icons to the left and right of items. Items could be tagged with the URLs of images to be used as icons. This will allow items to be categorized and also to indicate status information.

14. Support custom icons for folders. The XML for folders could be tagged with the URLs of images to be used for folders in place of the standard folder icon.

15. Allow the display of item info in columns. This would allow several attributes of items to be displayed in list view and not just the item names.

16. Support shortcut keys on the remote control to jump to HMO pages directly. This could be used to quickly view dynamic data such as weather updates.

17. Allow additional information to be displayed while an audio item is playing. Show album art/visualization/video/web content about artist.

18. Add support for latest ID3v2 tags. Any of the attributes should be viewable.

20. Support ID3 lyrics. Lyrics could also be synchronize with song.

21. Add option to rate audio/images. Use Thumb buttons to rate songs. The HMO server could use this information to generate dynamic playlists of images and audio files. This could also be used as a sorting parameter and could also be used to create dynamic playlists like a jukebox.

22. Better support for online streaming stations. There should be an option to check status of streams. Dynamic updates of streaming radio station song information should also be supported while the station is playing.

23. Allow the list view of audio items to be changed to thumbnail view to show album art.

24. Support custom operations on view photo screen alongside rotate and play slideshow. These operations would be tagged to the XML for each item and then passed to the HMO server with requests.

25. Allow custom attributes for images and audio files. Allow any of these fields could also be used for sorting.

26. Allow the handling of all keystrokes in fullscreen mode (except TiVo button): Direction keys, keypad, Select, Clear, Enter/Last. Each keystroke would generate a request to the HMO server with the key value as an attribute. This will cause the screen to be updated. This would allow support for interactions such as games and web browsing.

27. Allow picture-in-picture display of HMO items while watching TV.

28. Allow creation of a configuration screens for HMO server options on TiVo using the standard TiVo controls. These screen should be allow a HMO developer to design custom configuration screens with TiVo-like input fields which can then be submitted to the HMO server like HTML forms.

29. Support SMS-like interactive chat which can be relayed through the HMO server.

[New]30. Add support for Ogg Vorbis. This would allow developers to generate dynamic audio without running into the licensing issues associated with MP3 encoding and decoding.

Last edited by javahmo : 03-03-2004 at 11:57 AM.
javahmo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-15-2004, 09:29 PM   #2 (Print)
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Re: HMO Protocol improvements

Quote:
Originally posted by javahmo
26. Allow the handling of all keystrokes in fullscreen mode (except TiVo button): Direction keys, keypad, Select, Clear, Enter/Last. Each keystroke would generate a request to the HMO server with the key value as an attribute. This will cause the screen to be updated. This would allow support for interactions such as games and web browsing.

Excellent list!

You do say all keystrokes but I want to make it clear that as a end user I would really like to make use of the Thumbs buttons while accessing my own content so I can rate during playback. Many MP3 management tools provide a field to note a rating, I can't think of any way than to be able to dynamically rate content than through the TiVo using Thumbs!
MighTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2004, 05:18 PM   #3 (Print)
samkuhn

*bump*

Tivo Inc:

Please do you part to support development of the HMO backend! Developers are giving you software for free. Be nice and give back the hooks and implementation they need to make HMO attractive to new users.
samkuhn is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-25-2004, 10:16 AM   #4 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

bump # 2
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-05-2004, 02:04 PM   #5 (Print)
csyria

Send a message via AIM to csyria
Add support for AAC
csyria is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-06-2004, 01:32 PM   #6 (Print)
Spiff
Pawn in game of life

As an HMO user, I'd like to be able to view my suggestions, to do list, and season pass info online and edit it if needed.
Spiff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-06-2004, 11:33 PM   #7 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

Quote:
Originally posted by csyria
Add support for AAC
Yes! AAC (mp4 audio) is ALOT better then MP3! Today i started using iTunes music store, and everything is in AAC. I dont like the fact that my MP3 player dosnt play AAC, and that i have to burn the CD then rip it to MP3. By the time DirecTV (when and if) gets HMO, i would like AAC to be supported.

My iTunes registry
Fresh new geeky Mac site, iOnMac!
tomo_kun is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-17-2004, 11:35 PM   #8 (Print)
csyria

I agree with jjokerski

Also, make sure there there is support for the decrypting of the iTMS files
Old 03-18-2004, 04:41 PM   #9 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

Quote:
I agree with jjokerski

Also, make sure there there is support for the decrypting of the iTMS files
as stated, AAC files....

My iTunes registry
Old 03-18-2004, 06:21 PM   #10 (Print)
csyria

Well it doesn't matter what standart it is in if the TiVo can't decrypt it.
Old 03-18-2004, 07:17 PM   #11 (Print)
tomo_kun
DJT0M0.

Quote:
Well it doesn't matter what standart it is in if the TiVo can't decrypt it.
Lets just hope that they pick the right AAC standard. The ITMS one. Not the real one. (real media... RA AAC)

My iTunes registry
Old 09-16-2004, 08:15 PM   #12 (Print)
manielse

I believe I've missed this thread until now.

5. Amen! You hit two big drawbacks to the beacon here. The first being a notification feature and the second being text display. Both of these open up endless possibilities. From RSS feeds, CallerID to X10 automation, the possibilities are truely endless.

9. Leon, I'm sure you know that MoodLogic can do this. I can also tell you that Moodlogic and JavaHMO work very nice together.
manielse is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-01-2005, 10:19 PM   #13 (Print)
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Thanks for listening TiVo, you did great with HME!
MighTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post