TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2004, 03:10 PM   #1 (Print)
PDXBOFH

Send a message via ICQ to PDXBOFH Send a message via AIM to PDXBOFH Send a message via Yahoo to PDXBOFH
Emergency Alert System...

So I'm sitting here reading my local news website, and I notice that the local nuclear power plant had an emergency shut down earlier today. That made me think, what if something were to happen at the plant while I was watching a recorded show? I usually sit in my room, in front of the PC while watching Tivo, I have no LIVE connection to the outside world.

If something major were to happen (weather, diaster, attack, etc.) I would have NO CLUE!!!

So here is my idea:

Anytime Tivo is not on standby, it is always monitoring SOME channel.
When the EAS is activated, the Tivo could detect the tones, and break into your recorded show, sending you to live tv, so you could read the EAS message, and act accordingly.

I think this is kind of a major issue that I had never thought about before. I hope to hear some comments and feedback.

Will

Last edited by PDXBOFH : 07-30-2004 at 03:42 PM.
PDXBOFH is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-30-2004, 10:41 PM   #2 (Print)
BrettStah

Get one of those special radios. I really hope Tivo doesn't spend time on this idea. (No offense intended, PDXBOFH!)

My reason for not liking this idea are many:

1) My Tivos are recording stuff a lot, and I rarely bother using standby mode, so it wouldn't help me much.

2) Inexpensive solutions (with emercency radios) are readily available for anyone who wants to be alerted.

3) Those radios are superior to your idea... you could be reading a book, your Tivo could be unavailable at the time, etc., but the radio will still alert you.

4) There are numerous DVR-related enhancements that I think Tivo should work on instead of this.

Here's an EAS radio that costs $50:
http://www.windandweather.com/store...earGR2411?Args=

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2004, 10:53 AM   #3 (Print)
PDXBOFH

Send a message via ICQ to PDXBOFH Send a message via AIM to PDXBOFH Send a message via Yahoo to PDXBOFH
With all due respect,

1) NOTE: I said if Tivo was NOT on standby...
Ie. watching a live show, or a recorded show - obviously if your Tivo is on standby, you probably not watching it

2) My emergency radio (as you call it) is my scanner or ham, that have the emergency weather freq - that is a great solution for bad WEATHER - but not other local emergency's (ie. nuclear pwr plant)

3) see point #2

4) What improvments are more important that being notified of a local emergency that could mean a threat on your life?

Last edited by PDXBOFH : 08-01-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:02 AM   #4 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
How about an Emergency Alert System online? Simpler, and more far-reaching, I think.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2004, 11:04 AM   #5 (Print)
PDXBOFH

Please post a link of where I can find one - most of the ones I have found were not nearly as fast as the normal EAS.

thanks

Old 08-01-2004, 11:06 AM   #6 (Print)
BrettStah

1) Ah, when it's NOT in standby... I missed that. So if a Tivo is busy recording something this feature wouldn't really work, unless it happens to be on a channel that broadcasts an emergency signal, right? I would think that if it isn't going to consistently work properly, it isn't something that people should rely on.

2) Don't these EAS radios receive all of the EAS activations? I didn't think that they only functioned for weather-related issues only.

4) A Tivo is not the proper device to do that.... there are all sorts of scenarios whereby it would not work - Tivo is recording from a channel that doesn't broadcast the EAS signal. Tivo is put into standby mode. TV is muted. TV is turned off. Tivo is installing a software update.

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2004, 11:07 AM   #7 (Print)
PDXBOFH

The EAS single is broadcast on ALL CABLE channels at the same time, then you turn to the "info" channel to read more if the subtitle doesn't give you enough info.

I don't know if the EAS radios get both the weather freq and the actual EAS freq - I don't even know if the EAS signal is sent via RF - it may be a data or phone line connection from the state to the cable co.

Old 08-01-2004, 11:09 AM   #8 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally posted by PDXBOFH
Please post a link of where I can find one - most of the ones I have found were not nearly as fast as the normal EAS.

I'm not aware of anything; I was just suggesting it vs. your suggestion of TiVo implementing it. I think a broadband implementation would be a lot simpler and come about a lot faster than TiVo ever would be able to implement such a thing.

Especially as there's no easy way for TiVo to identify an emergency alert being broadcast; someone would need to provide it in datastream form, and if they're gonna do that, making an online version becomes really simple.

Considering how WeatherBug is good at delivering weather alerts immediately, they might be a potential contact to implement such a thing, if they could work out how to get the data from the myriad of sources it'd come from.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:10 AM   #9 (Print)
PDXBOFH

FYI: Weatherbug is spyware

Also, the reason that EAS uses Tv - is because TV used to be only RF (broadcast) so the signal could get to anyone who had a TV - no subscription needed (ie. internet)

But I like the idea of email EAS - to my pager or cell phone - that would be sweet.

UPDATE:

Here is a link, this may help if anyone is interested:
http://www.emergencyemail.org/

Last edited by PDXBOFH : 08-01-2004 at 11:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:06 PM   #10 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally posted by PDXBOFH
FYI: Weatherbug is spyware
I agree there, though it's about the only "spyware" I'd consider benign enough for the features and benefits involved, though they do offer a pay version, too. I don't use it anymore, but I have several freinds in Orlando that do (they're subject to a lot more flash-thunderstorms) and like the easy alerts from it.
Old 08-01-2004, 12:16 PM   #11 (Print)
Krosis

The EAS does needed to be changed to better fit with new technologies. The closed captioning and text features could be used for example. Then your TV or Tivo could display the warning, but that warning would not make it onto any recording. It would simply be superimposed on the active video output and not be part of the recorded signal. That would enable it to be displayed whether you are watching a recording or live TV.
Krosis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2004, 12:36 PM   #12 (Print)
FatherTed
Not Registered

When it comes to getting any form of EAS messages I use a S.M.A.R.T. radio at home and I have a service called StormNow http://www.stormnow.com that sends emails to email accounts you specify and I have it send shortened bulletins to my cell phone. You can limit the number of characters and the type of header to get it really compressed for a cell phone.

You can be very specific as to what goes where. There's a HUGE checkoff list of possibilities. I have weather forecasts, watches, warnings, EAS activations and an amazing list of things you never even knew was out there.

I have the cell phone account get only weather warnings for the county and EAS broadcasts. My email gets much more.

The cost is $2 per email account per month. I find that weather warnings often hit the phone before the radio alarm goes off but otherwise they're about even.

Last edited by FatherTed : 08-01-2004 at 02:19 PM.
FatherTed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-01-2004, 01:47 PM   #13 (Print)
PDXBOFH

Thanks for the link !

Old 08-01-2004, 02:17 PM   #14 (Print)
FatherTed
Not Registered

You're welcome. They're a really nice service with so many useful options and so very cheap to get precisely the information you want.
FatherTed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-08-2004, 06:39 PM   #15 (Print)
John Ross
SCOOBYDOOBIE DO TIVO

Send a message via AIM to John Ross Send a message via Yahoo to John Ross
If the world is coming to and end in five minutes i would prefer to continue laughing and enjoying my tv shows right to the end Thank You!
John Ross is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-21-2004, 07:59 AM   #16 (Print)
heyitscory
Pinch My Penny

Send a message via AIM to heyitscory Send a message via Yahoo to heyitscory
From PDXBOFH's Signature:
Quote:
"Without the law there can be no freedom, and without justice there can be no law"

And without Freedom there can be no justice.

Dude... my brain just crashed. The blue screen of death flashed before my eyes. Heavy.

For pick-up of your eWaste anywhere in Sonoma County, visit http://greencircuits.com
heyitscory is offline Report Bad Post Report Post