TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2004, 12:41 PM   #61 (Print)
CalypsoCowboy

I've heard a second dish and a combiner, not sure if it's like the sat C one or not, but there are also rumblings of a bigger dish, so they may be waiting on that.
CalypsoCowboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-13-2004, 12:48 PM   #62 (Print)
bbsux

I'd rather have a second ish and a combiner... I have a phase 3 dish and don't want to replace it...

Old 09-13-2004, 01:07 PM   #63 (Print)
litzinger

Does anyone know if a satellite finder aimed at 72.5 will register at this point?

Old 09-13-2004, 07:18 PM   #64 (Print)
diggerg56
Stranded in Iowa

I was messing around with a spare dish and receiver the other day to see if there was any test signal or anything. At the time I checked I couldn't receive anything but I believe they have been testing so if you try at the right time you might get something.

Old 09-14-2004, 02:00 AM   #65 (Print)
GuidoTKP
Good Times

Send a message via Yahoo to GuidoTKP
Okay here is what I have been able to find out at this point, The satellite will go LIVE with programing on Sept. 28th we will be using the 2 dish configuration,it was decided we could'nt get anything else manufactured in time for all the people who will need upgrades,still no word on when they will start the upgrade process or when they will add the locals to peoples accounts.
D**n I am getting antsy, I want my locals!!!!!!!!!

And happy with what I have.
GuidoTKP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-14-2004, 08:41 AM   #66 (Print)
bbsux

Quote:
Originally posted by GuidoTKP
Okay here is what I have been able to find out at this point, The satellite will go LIVE with programing on Sept. 28th we will be using the 2 dish configuration,it was decided we could'nt get anything else manufactured in time for all the people who will need upgrades,still no word on when they will start the upgrade process or when they will add the locals to peoples accounts.
D**n I am getting antsy, I want my locals!!!!!!!!!

So what will they be using to combine the signals?
a multiswitch of some kind?

A sat C like thing?

I have a phase 3...

Old 09-14-2004, 12:50 PM   #67 (Print)
litzinger

I'm putting up my dish mounts this weekend. Cutting holes in my new house's siding to install two J-boxes for a solid mounting (discussed in other threads). I'll be ready to go when they are.

The thought of a backlog for installs didn't even cross my mind (yikes!). Let's see, my DMA has about 300,000 TV households. Figure 8-10% have DTV currently with no locals. When they flip the switch, that could be 24,000-30,000 installation jobs. I wonder if they will even allow self-install given the more complicated setup.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:59 PM   #68 (Print)
GuidoTKP
Good Times

And people think DirecTV takes forever to get ahold of now!! wait till 30 or 40 thousand people want an upgrade all at once! We are still doing upgrades for the people who recently got their locals from the 119 sat and now we are going to add this too.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:08 PM   #69 (Print)
bbsux

Do they have a self install? I already have a 18 dish on my roof leftover from my install of my phase3 ... All I have to do is re-aim it...

Give me the combiner and I'm ready to go...

Old 09-14-2004, 06:46 PM   #70 (Print)
sjendro

I have recently found out that DirecTV just started sending out the software download letting the receivers know that other satellite locations are available. From what I have overheard, it activated the 72.5, 95, and one other location. The RCA RH series are the only ones we've seen so far that have any difficulties accepting this latest download.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:05 PM   #71 (Print)
maharg18

Quote:
Originally posted by sjendro
I have recently found out that DirecTV just started sending out the software download letting the receivers know that other satellite locations are available. From what I have overheard, it activated the 72.5, 95, and one other location. The RCA RH series are the only ones we've seen so far that have any difficulties accepting this latest download.

Interesting....

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo
maharg18 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-15-2004, 08:20 AM   #72 (Print)
litzinger

Quote:
I have recently found out that DirecTV just started sending out the software download letting the receivers know that other satellite locations are available.

If you know or find out what software rev # this is, please let us know! I wonder if it is the recently released 003A 0207.

Old 09-15-2004, 08:33 AM   #73 (Print)
GuidoTKP
Good Times

Yup thats the one.

Last edited by GuidoTKP : 09-15-2004 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-15-2004, 11:31 AM   #74 (Print)
bbsux

So what does this mean for us Dtivo users?

Are we upgradeable in this fashion or what?

Old 09-15-2004, 12:51 PM   #75 (Print)
MichaelK

for people with the upgrade-

did you play in the setup screens?

What are the choices- does it have another dish pictures or that disqc thingie?
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-16-2004, 10:34 AM   #76 (Print)
litzinger

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelK
for people with the upgrade-

did you play in the setup screens?

What are the choices- does it have another dish pictures or that disqc thingie?

This was discussed a bit in another forum.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:09 PM   #77 (Print)
MichaelK

thanks for the link

for those too lazy to look over there- as of now no one has observed any clues as to what the new setup might be. No mention of 72.5 and no one reports any mention of multiswitch type.
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-16-2004, 01:28 PM   #78 (Print)
GuidoTKP
Good Times

Already read the other forum and it tells you less than this thread does....

Old 09-17-2004, 09:12 AM   #79 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Quote:
Originally posted by GuidoTKP
we will be using the 2 dish configuration,it was decided we could'nt get anything else manufactured in time for all the people who will need upgrades

Judging by that statement, my assumption is that they are going to forsake Sat B-C for the new sat location (so you will get 72.5 instead of 110/119), at least until they can come uo with a switch/combinder system that will work with existing Multi-slot systems.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2004, 09:45 AM   #80 (Print)
maharg18

Quote:
Originally posted by classicsat
Judging by that statement, my assumption is that they are going to forsake Sat B-C for the new sat location (so you will get 72.5 instead of 110/119), at least until they can come uo with a switch/combinder system that will work with existing Multi-slot systems.

I don't see how that would be the least bit acceptable, since there are MANY of us who need 110/119 for HD and/or ethnic programming.

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo
maharg18 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2004, 09:45 AM   #81 (Print)
CalypsoCowboy

That can't be right, there is no way I'm gonna give up my HD on 110/119 just for my locals. But with the supposid launch of Boise 10 days away I'd sure like to hear something.
CalypsoCowboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2004, 10:20 AM   #82 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally posted by classicsat

Most likely they'll use a combiner on the other leg of the 119° LNB input to a multiswitch; there's room amidst the transponders DirecTV is licensed to use at 119° to do this, and it offers the simplest method to DirecTV of adding 72.5° support since it doesn't require new multiswitch hardware and retains providing the 110° and 119° satellite signals which still have HD and SD national programming.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-17-2004, 01:46 PM   #83 (Print)
litzinger

Quote:

Seems to me maybe the RCA units were the first round (pilot?) of installs for the software required to see the new satellite. If that is true, I wonder how much the bug in the DRD435RH installs will set back the update schedule for other brands. Has anyone with another brand received the update? DTV could very well be waiting until the new software has been successfully downloaded to all brands BEFORE announcing availability of the 72.5 service. Maybe someone who understands DTV's general software upgrade strategy can shed some light.

Given we are now another week into Sept, I am losing confidence that I will have my locals anytime soon.

Old 09-18-2004, 11:19 AM   #84 (Print)
bbsux

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Most likely they'll use a combiner on the other leg of the 119° LNB input to a multiswitch; there's room amidst the transponders DirecTV is licensed to use at 119° to do this, and it offers the simplest method to DirecTV of adding 72.5° support since it doesn't require new multiswitch hardware and retains providing the 110° and 119° satellite signals which still have HD and SD national programming.

Could they 'block' the 119 signal and then use the whole satelite, with a multi-switch/combiner?

I say this because some people don't need 119 -- there isn't anything on it except locals now, right?

Old 09-18-2004, 03:40 PM   #85 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally posted by bbsux
Could they 'block' the 119 signal and then use the whole satelite, with a multi-switch/combiner?

I say this because some people don't need 119 -- there isn't anything on it except locals now, right?

DirecTV only has 11 transponders licensed at 119° that leaves the transponder block from 1 to 21 available; they use this area now for the signals from 110°, which are combined into the unused space on the odd side. That leaves them a large block on the even side to combine with signals from 72.5°. Whether it's feasible is all depending on which specific transponders they have chosen to use from 72.5°. Presuming it's a consecutive block of no more than 8 or 9 transponders, all even or odd transponders, it'd be very easy to do. And they wouldn't even need a special LNB if they have complte control on which transponders to use (The 110° LNB block shifts DirecTV's licensed transponders differently than regular LNB's since they overlap what transponders DirecTV has on 119&deg.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:41 PM   #86 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:

HD and ethnic programming are also on it.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-18-2004, 03:49 PM   #87 (Print)
bbsux

Quote:
Originally posted by herdfan
HD and ethnic programming are also on it.

I think you're thinking of 110 .. isn't that sat just HD and ethnic?

Old 09-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #88 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
I think you're thinking of 110 .. isn't that sat just HD and ethnic?

119° has the Jade channels (asian programming package), Para Todos channels (latin american programming), HBOHD, Bravo HD, HDNet, KCBS-DT, NFL Sunday Ticket HD and HDPPV.

110° has SHOHD, ESPNHD, Discovery HD, HDNet Movies, and 3 NFL Sunday Ticket HD channels.
Old 09-18-2004, 03:56 PM   #89 (Print)
bbsux

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
119° has the Jade channels (asian programming package), Para Todos channels (latin american programming), HBOHD, Bravo HD, HDNet, KCBS-DT, NFL Sunday Ticket HD and HDPPV.

110° has SHOHD, ESPNHD, Discovery HD, HDNet Movies, and 3 NFL Sunday Ticket HD channels.

That's what I thought... 110 is just HD... Most customers DON'T have HD.. So they could block it entirely and remap 72.5 to 110... THEN come up with a way for the fewer HD users to get theier HD channels...

Old 09-18-2004, 04:05 PM   #90 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
That's what I thought... 110 is just HD... Most customers DON'T have HD.. So they could block it entirely and remap 72.5 to 110... THEN come up with a way for the fewer HD users to get theier HD channels...
Not really, because it would be much simpler to have the same system for everyone than to deal with multiple options each accomplishing the same thing. Freeing up 110° signals from the multiswitch arrangement only gives about the same amount of space already available on the unused side of the 119° feed since the 110° signals are combined with 119° ones for delivery to the receiver.

DirecTV's agreement with Telesat Canada only provides DirecTV with a subset of the 72.5° transponders, and since only about 24 markets are planned for 72.5°, 8 or 9 transponders is more than enough room (14 channels per transponder, 9 transponsers, gives room for up to 126 channels (5.25/market) -- DirecTV actually places up to 16 channels on one transponder now, so it could provide as much as 144 channels (6/market), and those can readily be provided for by sharing the other leg of 119°, like 110° does.

And if they did need more than 9 transponders, they still could combine at least 2 or 3 more transponders on the side of 119° used for combining the 110° signals.

Also 110° in the past has held some SD channels, and one day it's likely combining one HD channels plus several SD channels on each transponder may be the scheme used, rather than only having HD channels on a transponder with any HD channel. This gives a little more flexibility for the bandwidth needs of HD broadcasts but requires more complex statistical multiplexing, so picking a scheme that could preclude some subset of subscribers from being able to use 110° for anything wouldn't be good for the long term.