TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-12-2004, 09:56 PM   #181 (Print)
stanswx

Send a message via ICQ to stanswx Send a message via AIM to stanswx Send a message via Yahoo to stanswx
Quote:
Originally posted by Chilli_Dog
Stan, I just ordered online as well (Champaign / Decatur / Springfield). You won't be able to receive them until you get the 2nd dish installed. As part of the online ordering process, you should have had the option to schedule an installation appointment for the 2nd dish. Were you prompted for this? If not, you should call DirecTV to get things straightened out.

I installed the 2nd dish and multiswitch on Saturday by myself, so all I had to do was place the order for locals this morning. I think they're still tweaking things though, as I've noticed several quirks today:

-WCIA (3) has an ABC logo, should be CBS
-WRSP (55) is completely dead, so no baseball games
-WAND (17) is flickering this evening, originally I thought it was just NYPD Blue's lighting.
-WILL (12) has lines going through it like it's getting interference or missing a ground wire somewhere
-Many of the channels have experienced freezes, pixelation, and audio drops throughout the day.

So while I'm happy to get the locals, they still have some issues to work out. I'm very anxious to hear if anyone else has similar problems. Let me know when you get everything going, thanks!

-Stan
stanswx is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2004, 09:58 PM   #182 (Print)
stanswx

Send a message via ICQ to stanswx Send a message via AIM to stanswx Send a message via Yahoo to stanswx
Instant messaging..

With all the locals coming out, I was wondering if anyone would be interesting in chatting on the instant messengers about it? (or that blasted 3.1.1d bug) Let me know, here's my screen names:

AOL: k9swx
MSN: k9swx@hotmail.com
Yahoo: k9swx@yahoo.com

Thanks!

-Stan
Old 10-13-2004, 10:30 PM   #183 (Print)
diggerg56
Stranded in Iowa

I'm planning on doing my own install also, as I usually do. How did you go about aiming the dish? Did you wait for the locals to be active or could you find a test signal beforehand?

Also, did you use the "auto-detect" option on the receiver or Tivo? I haven't seen any detailed self-install instructions yet so I guess we're sort of winging it at this point.

Old 10-13-2004, 11:22 PM   #184 (Print)
stanswx

Quote:
Originally posted by diggerg56
I'm planning on doing my own install also, as I usually do. How did you go about aiming the dish? Did you wait for the locals to be active or could you find a test signal beforehand?

Also, did you use the "auto-detect" option on the receiver or Tivo? I haven't seen any detailed self-install instructions yet so I guess we're sort of winging it at this point.

It really really helps to have a sat finder meter with audible tone. I picked up one real cheap on eBay. I then looked up the azimuth/elevation for my location and generically pointed the dish in that direction. Then using the sat finder, I movedthe dish left and right to get the best signal, then up and down. Once you get it locked on, then use the auto-detect option and it should find it. You don't need to have locals to get a signal, it will still detect it on the auto-detect if you're pointed at the right one.

Good luck!

-Stan
Old 10-14-2004, 08:58 AM   #185 (Print)
iceman215

Send a message via Yahoo to iceman215
I live in Champaign, IL and I had my locals installed yesterday. I had to have the dish placed on my garage since it needs to point southeast. I thought it needed to point southwest so I'm glad I didn't try the install myself.

The install was free and my installer did a great job. He had to dig a small trench in my gravel driveway and he fixed the sloppy work from the last installer. One thing, to get locals, you must have software 3.1.1d. I didn't and I don't have a phone line so I had to rush to work and force a call before we could finish. Also, DirecTV has a problem where they send replacement receivers to people who have Philips DSR704 but you don't need one. My DSR704 works fine and my installer knew it would.

I've seen the same glitch where my CBS station shows an ABC logo. My installer was going to report this as a bug.

The last thing is that my installer said it's a software glitch where the signal strength isn't good on the odd transponders. For me, on the 72.5 degree satellite, transponder 3's signal strength jumps around from 50 to 95. All the other transponders on both satellites are 95 and above. My locals are great quality except I noticed a few pixelations after watching an hour of channel 3.
iceman215 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2004, 10:06 AM   #186 (Print)
litzinger

Hmm just noticed something a little strange on my 2 boxes. Locals have launched in my market but my dish in not installed yet.

Box 1 (RCA DVR80): v3.1.1d and now has my local channels listed and selected under Channels You Receive." Guide data is populated. No signal obviouslly.

Box 2 (Samsung S4040R): v3.1.1d does not list any channel under 100. If I go into "Channels You Receive" I cannot add them. Guide data does not appear to be populated.

Why the difference? Both are on the compatability list.

Update: This did eventually clear itself up (prior to install of second dish). Not sure why.

Last edited by litzinger : 10-21-2004 at 12:37 PM.
litzinger is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-21-2004, 09:27 AM   #187 (Print)
Psychoderelict

I had my install on 10/19 for the Toledo locals. All went well, but the PBS local channel 30 has the message ext. 721. Is this channel having trouble? I've been on the phone with D all morning. No luck! The installer said his supervisor told him there were issues with channel 30 in Toledo.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

Update: DirecTV now claims I have a bad MultiSwitch. This would be the new one installed on Tuesday. I have a service call tomorrow morning. Could this be the trouble with the one channel on all three receivers?

Last edited by Psychoderelict : 10-21-2004 at 10:19 AM.
Psychoderelict is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-21-2004, 12:31 PM   #188 (Print)
GuidoTKP
Good Times

Send a message via Yahoo to GuidoTKP
Yeah a Bad multi-switch could very well do that to you, also a bad Access Card could also be the culprit

And happy with what I have.
GuidoTKP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-22-2004, 08:31 AM   #189 (Print)
Psychoderelict

Thanks for the reply.

Turns out there was trouble with local channel 30 in Toledo. It has been fixed.
Psychoderelict is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-02-2004, 03:28 PM   #190 (Print)
Rgonyer

I finally got around to aiming my 72.5 dish for Davenport, IA locals. I called a few days ago to set up the install (so I could get the switch, dish, and any replacement receivers I would need), and they couldn't schedule it until the end of December. I also took advantage of the $50 DTivo offer as well, which they are to bring out on the same day.

What I would like to do is contact the installer if possible, and tell them that I'd just like to pick up the equipment, and I will happily sign a sheet saying that the install was completed successfully. Hopefully that way I can pick up my equipment soon. I asked the operator at DTV if she could tell me the name of the company that would be doing my installation, and she did not have that information. Does anyone know how to find this information out?

Thanks for any help,
Robb
Rgonyer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2004, 11:09 AM   #191 (Print)
jamielee

call back ans ask again, they know because I called myself.

HDVR2
DRD435RH
72.5, 101, 110, 119 sats
(((XM))) Delphi MyFi
COX HIGH SPEED INTERNET
jamielee is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2004, 03:02 PM   #192 (Print)
raptor00

Angry Peoria locals

Been up with DTV locals for Peoria for about 10 days. Anyone else having problems with FOX on locals? Peoria area station is WYZZ. Looks like the old days of OTA with ghosts etc. All other channels perfect. DTV not much help. Forced to maintain cable to TiVo/watch football-ouch!
raptor00 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2004, 04:47 PM   #193 (Print)
Chilli_Dog
HD / Tivo Enthusiast

Can't speak for Peoria, but I've been pretty disappointed in the local Springfield channels. Besides the problems with Channel 3 (WCIA), slight ghosting is present on Channel 20. It's especially visible in the morning during the weather forecasts. The only reason I'm keeping them is for the ability to Tivo the network shows. Otherwise, I'd probably drop them. Too bad D* has done such a shoddy job in Central Illinois.
Chilli_Dog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #194 (Print)
krompot

Eastern Iowa Directv local channel market. Watching a recording of "Lost" last night. My wife asked, "Are they doing something funny with the cinematography on this episode?". My reply, "No, that is just Directv local channels and their crappy compression".

This really bites. Time to call customer support again.
krompot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2004, 10:14 AM   #195 (Print)
Rgonyer

That doesn't sound promising. I'm going to be really bummed once I finally get set up with a DirecTivo and new dish if the quality is that crappy.
Old 12-11-2004, 10:49 AM   #196 (Print)
lmurphy

Raptor 00 I have the Peoria Locals and WYZZ fox has been that way since we have had them installed. We were one of first who got them installed in the first few days they started doing Peoria area installs for the locals. Now ABC 19 WHOI is terrible. It looks very orange and wavy and it has been almost perfect for the last few weeks. I called again last night to DTV and was told that the more people call in with these problems the sooner it will hopefully get fixed. We will see, I have heard that one on more than one occasion.
lmurphy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-11-2004, 11:11 AM   #197 (Print)
raptor00

Just checked and you're right 19 has gone south. Looks like I'm on the phone again. Got a reply from 43 on the AVS forum that their new high power analog transmitter should be up by next weekend and the HD transmitter should be up by the Super Bowl so maybe I'll drop DTV locals then and go OTA if DTV doesn't get this sorted out. FOX is the only reason I went with DTV locals-because Mediacom basic cable here in GH is lousy.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:43 PM   #198 (Print)
lmurphy

Yea Media Com Stinks all the way around. They're our cable provider too. I have been with DTV for about 9 or so years now. I sure hope they get fox fixed but luckily, I have the East coast Fox Feed for now until this situation gets fixed. I have been wanting to get one of the HD10-250 HD Tivos, but have been hearing of to many problems with them. The locals with a outside antenna in my neck of the woods doesn't seem to work all that great with analog anyway. I would be real curiuos about HD thou.

Last edited by lmurphy : 12-11-2004 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:03 AM   #199 (Print)
dts

FYI: sat 72 only has XPNS 1-16.
dts is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2004, 09:17 AM   #200 (Print)
raptor00

I've had an HD10-250 for about 4 months and it's been bulletproof. Have the DTV HD channels and they are great, especially HDnet and Discovery HD. I've been able to get the digital locals better OTA than the analog so you might be surprised. Hey, Imurphy how'd you get the waiver for the east coast feed? I've been trying since I got an HD receiver because Fox and CBS local is not HD.
Old 12-12-2004, 10:32 AM   #201 (Print)
Rgonyer

Does the HD10-250 allow recording of OTA HD locals? If so, one tuner or two?
Old 12-12-2004, 10:42 AM   #202 (Print)
shepler76

Yes it does, 2 Sat tuners and 2 OTA Tuners

Can record 2 shows at once in any combination
shepler76 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2004, 10:48 AM   #203 (Print)
raptor00

Correct but keep in mind it receives OTA digital channels only. So it will not record analog OTA.
Old 12-12-2004, 11:08 AM   #204 (Print)
Rgonyer

Cool, so where is the best/most reasonably priced place to order one of these?
Old 12-12-2004, 11:11 AM   #205 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
Quote:
Originally posted by Rgonyer
Cool, so where is the best/most reasonably priced place to order one of these?

You can get it from Value Electronics for $899 and they're including a 5 year extended warranty; forum members get free shipping too.

www.valueelectronics.com/avstc.htm
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2004, 11:18 AM   #206 (Print)
Rgonyer

Great, thank you for the info. I was under the impression that these didn't have OTA HD tuners, so I wasn't really considering them until now.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:47 PM   #207 (Print)
lmurphy

Raptor 00 I applied for waivers and got them for Fox & NBC. Then one day they just turned them on and I didn't even know about it. So I called and at the time we did not have the Locals on the dish. I said that Fox & NBC doesn't do me any good without the ABC & CBS and she said OK and turned them all on.I only have Fox now. So the you have the HD10-250 and it's been bullet proof, that's good to hear. I don't know how much longer I can wait before I pick one up. I just bought a Sony LCD KF-42WE610 back in July and have been waiting to see if the prices on th HD10-250 will ever come down. Glad to hear some positive stuff on it.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:25 PM   #208 (Print)
stumbleshoe

Send a message via Yahoo to stumbleshoe
Installer just left so now I have my locals for Charleston, SC. No problems and the guy did a really nice clean install.

Just got rid of my nationals and will be calling Comcast tomorrow to tell them where to stick their overpriced basic cable
stumbleshoe is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2004, 08:12 PM   #209 (Print)
krompot

You might want to watch some football or other sports before cancelling your cable. I just spent my second Sunday afternoon watching football on basic analog cable instead of Directv locals because the compression quality on Directv locals is so bad. Eastern Iowa markets.

I tried calling customer support again The lady was cheerful but said there was nothing that could be done. I said I would be calling back everytime I try to watch a sporting event on Directv locals. Her words back were, "You do that, sir!". Very helpful indeed.
krompot is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2004, 09:09 PM   #210 (Print)
EMoMoney
Big and Tall

Quote:
Originally posted by krompot
I said I would be calling back everytime I try to watch a sporting event on Directv locals. Her words back were, "You do that, sir!". Very helpful indeed.

What did you expect her to say?
EMoMoney is offline Report Bad Post Report Post