Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2004, 09:36 PM   #1 (Print)
The_Dingman

iTunes intergration / compatibility or iPod support

I like the HMO, but the problem is that I am slowly re-recording all my MP3s to AAC (re-recording from CD) due to the much higher quality of AAC. I also have quite a few iTunes songs. What would be nice is being able to play non-protected AAC files, and even protected AAC (iTunes downloaded songs).

Imagine a partnership between Apple's iTunes and TiVo to be able to access iTunes through the TiVo interface and download songs right onto the TiVo!

Another nice option would be to allow an iPod dock to be connected over the USB ports, allowing the TiVo to control the iPod. This way we could connect an iPod to our stereo through our TiVo, and not have to get up to change the song...

I know these are kind of "out-there" ideas, but iTunes has more users than any other music store, along with many iPod users. I am willing to bet that quite a few TiVo users have iPods and/or use iTunes.

I hearby authorise TiVo Inc. to use any of my sugestions posted here, royalty free. I am willing to sign a contract stating it.

Please start selling TiVo at RadioShack (I work there and want to be able to actually get the credit for selling one :)
The_Dingman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-10-2004, 05:15 PM   #2 (Print)
carpone

*bump!*

Ditto the above suggestion. 100 million iTunes Music downloads can't be wrong. Support AAC already. Please. With sugar on top.
carpone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-14-2004, 08:04 PM   #3 (Print)
todd_hd

The iTunes integration should not be too "out there". Other devices do this today (such as the Roku HD Media Player). It cannot support the encrypted songs, but it does handle the rest of your library. This would be a great feature.. I have my whole music library encoded onto my Mac Cube using iTunes.

Taking it further, iPhoto integration would be really slick.
todd_hd is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-14-2004, 09:55 PM   #4 (Print)
Dennis Wilkinson

Quote:
Originally posted by todd_hd
Taking it further, iPhoto integration would be really slick.

What more of iPhoto integration do you want? You can already publish some or all of your albums for the TiVo to view.

As far as AAC goes, there are 2 issues. The first is playback of the AAC codec itself, which TiVo could certainly implement now, but about the only people that would cover are people who rip their own CDs to AAC. The second is playing Fairplay-"protected" AAC, from the iTunes Music Store. Right now, Apple hasn't opened up that format to anyone, although there was a release about Motorola cell phones some time ago (not sure if that's a real, shipping product.) I've already registered my interest to Apple that they support TiVo in making this work:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunes.html

Old 11-16-2004, 04:28 PM   #5 (Print)
Indemnity83

Similarly, but likely a non-concurent idea would be to integrate with the Rhapsody service, or a TiVo made service that functions the same way.

I think it would be easier in general since Rhapsody already makes partnerships unlike apple and the service is fundamentally better suited for something like TiVo.

I use Rhapsody everywhere I sit down in front of a computer, so I dont buy any CD's anymore, and I dont have any MP3's (Rhapsody streams music instead of selling it). I would love to be able to pump my favorite music though my theater system instead of my pc speakers :-P. Would be great for parties where you could que up a bunch of appropriate music, or a "radio station" that would run all night un-attended.
Indemnity83 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 12:04 PM   #6 (Print)
bostonbear

OK, Tivo and Apple need to go into a room and not come out until they resolve this. Love my Ipod, love my Tivo... come on... do it!

At the very least Tivo can support unprotected AAC files.

bostonbear is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-01-2004, 06:59 PM   #7 (Print)
The_Dingman

I think TiVo and Apple is a natural partnership, both were the first in thier market (iPod and TiVo), sence both came out, others have been trying to play catch-up, and no one has.

I am more concerned about playing ripped AAC files than purchaced ones. All the new songs I rip are in AAC instead of MP3 because of the quality difference, but I want to be able to use them on my TiVo.

TiVo and Apple could have an advantage, Imagine being to download and listen to music right from your TV screen, as well as Apple being able to add more users to iTunes, as well as the added iPod sales (download song off TV, hook up iPod to TiVo [maybe fron USB of Firewire ports...] and download to iPod). Maybe even extracting audio from a show on the TiVo and putting it on the iPod, imagine having the news record every morning, having the audio automaticly transfered to the iPod, then listen to it on your way to work. Maybe the iPod photo could play TV shows from the TiVo, maybe an FM tuner on the iPod with TiVo features... The possibilities are endless...

I hearby authorise TiVo Inc. to use any of my sugestions posted here, royalty free. I am willing to sign a contract stating it.

Please start selling TiVo at RadioShack (I work there and want to be able to actually get the credit for selling one :)
The_Dingman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2004, 05:01 PM   #8 (Print)
netflix keith

Being able to use the iTunes playlists would be wonderful, especially the "Smart lists"

Old 12-28-2004, 07:20 PM   #9 (Print)
Test
Register User

edit: iPods are a rip
Test is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-01-2005, 03:06 PM   #10 (Print)
vincentrhodes

Why can't TiVo unit be an "authorized computer"?

I agree that TiVo and Apple should work this out. I love my Mac and I love my TiVo units. I purchase music online and feel that I should be able to play it on my computer or my TiVO units through the HMO.

The "Fair Play" standards from Apple allow music to be played on up to five "authorized" computers. Why can't the TiVo unit count as one of those?

I've paid for the music I buy from iTunes and I've paid for my TiVo boxes. How does this hurt copyright to let me listen to the song downstairs as opposed to sitting in front of my computer? If I can load the song on my iPod and carry it anywhere, why can't it be streamed to my TiVo units.

Surely there is a way to work this out... PLEASE make this feature request a reality!

Hey TiVo fans: If you own a Mac, be sure to lobby Apple for this change as well... send e-mails! Couldn't provide the direct link to the feedback form since I'm new on the forum. sorry!
vincentrhodes is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #11 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Apple's worry is it could compromise the security of the iTMS service and downloaded content.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post