July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2004, 01:59 PM   #61 (Print)
jfh3

Quote:
Originally posted by LonghornXP
... doesn't mean that DirecTV can't charge 9.95/month per account for Tivo with HMO and charge 4.95/month like they do now for Tivo without HMO.

This would work. But DTV would be MUCH smarter to make the max cost $8.99 or less to undercut the cable company "$9.95" pricing.

More features, real Tivo service, lower cost programming and less expensive DVR - why go with cable?
jfh3 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:04 PM   #62 (Print)
LeeG

Send a message via AIM to LeeG
Quote:
Originally posted by mphare
$4.95 seems to be a target price point.

I pay $4.95 for DirectTivo .
I pay $4.95 for each additional receiver
I'd gladly pay another $4.95 for HMO. MRV is just that important to me and I really just don't have the time to follow the multitude of threads 'over there' to try to hack it myself.

I'll even rush out and buy a new (3rd) DirecTivo as soon as HMO is made available to me.

Then I'll start upgrading Hard Drives.

EXACTLY. I will HAPPILY pay $5 a month for HMO, and I would buy another Directivo, that day.

PLEASE DirecTV PLEASE!!

L

Old 12-14-2004, 02:06 PM   #63 (Print)
MattDing

Send a message via AIM to MattDing
How incredibly naive and stupid are these people? I'm not talking about LonghornXP's friends, but the people that actually make some of these decisions. Earl found this screen by innocently entering a code all of us have used or told people about probably 100 times each. My brothers had to enter codes for Sonic the Hedgehog that were more complex than this "hidden" screen. Give me a break. And if they DO read this forum, then they must know about the "other" forum and they have GOT to realize that there ARE people who will reverse engineer the whole damn box, so it wasn't going to stay hidden for long.

Adding HMO can be nothing but a win-win for DirecTV & TiVo. I'm sure TiVo will get a bigger cut of any fees we are charged for HMO. DirecTV gets the TiVo customers that would "think about DirecTiVo, if only I didn't have to give up features." Standalone people (and all TiVo lovers) have been clamoring for a dual tuner Cable Card TiVo for years. This would be damn near that box. If all current standalone features were supported and DirecTV carries ALL the local channels nationwide, BINGO. 90+% of the country has full featured, dual tuner TiVos with the local channels they usually stick to cable for. I think D*'s customer base would soar. That's just my opinion, but I know that lack of locals is the only thing keeping most of my non-D* friends and family from switching.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:10 PM   #64 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Send a message via ICQ to dswallow
It's a moderately interesting point, though... what monthly income will TiVo lose from people holding back from using DirecTV, or maintaining a standalone to use with DirecTV, when DirecTV begins offering HMO services...

just wanted to add another twist to the discussion.

It certainly wasn't hurting TiVo all that much to see HMO delayed on DirecTV.
dswallow is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:11 PM   #65 (Print)
MattDing

Very true.

Although if DirecTV and TiVo were the same company...

Twistier, eh?
Old 12-14-2004, 02:12 PM   #66 (Print)
slacker9876

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
Yeah, free to all their $12.99/month + $6.99/month extra receiver customers and to their $299/lifetime customers.

A small fee one-time per account to enable the functionality across all DVR's on the account isn't really out of line, or would you prefer a higher monthly charge or per-receiver fee?

Very good point! Yet another flaw in my short-sighted ability to see the big picture TiVo is currently a steal for DirecTV customers by comparison. I think I was wrapped up in my anger over D* hitting the forum and chewing on employees.
slacker9876 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:13 PM   #67 (Print)
MattDing

Who am I kidding?

Rupert Murdoch doesn't like buying companies.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #68 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Send a message via ICQ to Okeemike Send a message via Yahoo to Okeemike
Quote:
.... When is what I don't know but what is coming I do know.

Do you have a government job? I think you'd do well working for the IRS. You could write the 1040 instructions and stuff. Either that, or the "universal assembly instructions" that came with my kid's entertainment center.

Okeemike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:18 PM   #69 (Print)
slacker9876

Quote:
Originally posted by jfh3
I don't think so, given DTV sold their entire stake in Tivo this summer (though the stock's down 40%+ since then).

Also - Tivo doesn't have a cash problem, as far as I can tell. Losses, yes, cash flow problem, no.

This would be the only logical way to do this. Drive the price down and buy at a bargain. I think you could say this would be SOP in mergers and acquisitions. If this is the case I am sure this is according to plan, not a nice side effect.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:21 PM   #70 (Print)
peteypete

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Collins
The "rigidness" of DirecTV over this issue has to do with their own conflicts over Tivo versus NDS. There's a lot of maneuvering going on inside DirecTV.

I would guess this issue is mostly political. I can't understand how much cheaper you can get than Tivo. DTV pays Tivo $1.25 per HOUSEHOLD. Tivo is well understood and time tested, and less buggy, and in demand!! The cost savings in having a product that is easy to install, and has great community support shouldn't be overlooked.
peteypete is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:23 PM   #71 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally posted by warrenevans
gosh i got to get rid of my (2) old Phillips DSR6000R and get two new series 2s

Do it! Do it now!

I've got a DSR6000, and really had no reason to upgrade until the R10. Now it seems that I may have timed it just right....we shall soon see .

(well, hopefully soon)

Old 12-14-2004, 02:23 PM   #72 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

Quote:
Originally posted by slacker9876
I think I was wrapped up in my anger over D* hitting the forum and chewing on employees.

It's a problem with many larger companies, where you have people with agendas counter to the benefit of the company itself; like when someone is ass-kissing to ingratiate him or herself rather than ignoring that and giving advice based on their true opinions, which might seem to run counter to what they think their boss wants to hear. And part of that problem is it's NOT what the boss wants to hear, just what some less-ionformed person thinks their boss wants to hear.

So you end up with a middle layer of management that's focused more on doing what they think someone reviewing them wants done, than on paying attention to the products and services of the company and what their customers might be asking for.

For example (not saying this is true, but just as an example): Murdoch buys DirecTV from Hughes; Murdoch is an unknown. Current DirecTV people worry about their jobs. People at DirecTV know he has a major interest in NDS so they think to themselves, "hey we should look at using NDS because Murdoch will like us better." So they go round and round and ignore what they've already got and bring in NDS just to ingratiate themselves. In the meantime, the focus they had and the lead they had with their existing DVR's languishes for a time.

It's the kind of thing upper management would hire consultants to come in and evaluate/look for, except then there's the issue of the consultants feeling pressure to find something wrong to justify their effort and fee, thus creating a whole new layer of deceit.

I do hope at some level someone at DirecTV considers these things and looks to address them if they're found to exist.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:32 PM   #73 (Print)
jedware

Angry

I would gladly pay DirecTV any additional fee for HMO, but I refuse to wait any longer!

I am spending my Christmas vacation pulling Hard Drives and upgrading my software so that I can get HMO. I have waited too long and heard too many excuses that it is driving me as a consumer crazy. If and when DirecTV does offer the HMO I will switch back software and pay their fee but until that point I am taking action.

It is really sad to see DirecTV squander the resource this and other sites offer. They can get free customer input and testing by just asking. Most companies spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for consulting firms to reach the same conclusions that are offered for free on this site. I hate to see TiVo lose the DVR war but until they see the light it looks like that is where they are headed.

HMO here I come.
jedware is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:34 PM   #74 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
They have never made sense have they. Those jackasses actually suggested doing a software update to block that code from working. Granted they got talked out of it but would that be the biggest waste of money you could ever find.

Then you aren't familiar with the code on the HR10-250 that would let users see the resolution D* was sending down on HD channels. Once it was found, which unleashed a long complaint thread about downrezzing over at AVS, the next software update removed it.

As of the latest info, TiVo had a market cap of $443M. D* has $2.26B in the bank. If 34% is effective control (Rupert's share of D*), then for $150M, D* could effectively control TiVo.

I still don't understand from a marketing perspective why they released this box with the older ones still in the supply chain. I would have thought they would have wanted those to sell through first.

And to add to Doug's suggestions, a discrete code to switch between the D* Guide and the TiVo Guide would be nice as well.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:35 PM   #75 (Print)
slacker9876

Quote:
What makes you think this was the first time my contacts and there bosses have been on this site. Actually you are very far off on this but just because these people browse on these forums doesn't mean they can get the company to do what we say. I wish it were that simple but my contacts bosses are very nice people but they have always been ass kissers and this was one example of doing just that.
Ahhhh. Corporate America at its pinnacle ...

Quote:
Originally posted by LonghornXP ... Also I could care less about you not wanting to pay because you get it free now but when they offer HMO if you don't pay you are stealing period. Whether you think its fair , right, moral or what not its still stealing no matter what way you slice it. If you don't like it fine but don't start complaining because I still think you are stealing from Tivo because you are putting HMO on your DirecTivos but only paying 4.95/month per account so you should be paying Tivo 12.95/month along with 6.95/month for each extra Tivo.[/B]
Agreed, but I will pay when it is available. I would have HAPPILY shelled out the 198.00 TWO YEARS ago to have this on my DirecTiVo units, and would gladly do the same today. I am not a thief though. All I did was perform what equates to DLL updates on a Windows PC and it had the nice side effect of HMO. I will not argue my integrity with you, I'll simply restate that had they (D*) done this in the first place, we would not be discussing this today.

Quote:
Originally posted by LonghornXP Fact is for customers who have two or more Tivos if DirecTV charges 15 bucks a month per account it would still be cheaper than Tivos 20 bucks per month. I'm tired of hearing this crap. You complain about having to pay extra but your fine with stealing from Tivo. [/B]
Screw {stronger expletive desired} TiVo ... they do not provide me service, DirecTV does. If, and that is a capital big IF, Microsoft had stayed in the game with UTV, I would not even be using a TiVo Product. I would have been able to network my units years ago to my PC. I cite the Xbox, Ethernet enabled and usable from day 1. That is my problem with this entire situation ... no one wants to innovate for the benefit of the customer, they want to doing it for the company.

So I'll continue to STEAL HMO on my 4.01 units until I am offered a better more innovative solution. FYI last I checked some folks at DD own the copyright to the released updates, not Tivo ... who are we really stealing from? and at $105.20/mo I feel I sould pretty much get what I want from my provider! They are not my priority, I am my priority.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:35 PM   #76 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally posted by herdfan

And to add to Doug's suggestions, a discrete code to switch between the D* Guide and the TiVo Guide would be nice as well.

You mean between Gride guide and List guide .... The DirecTV/Tivo naming of the guides are gone in 6.1

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:41 PM   #77 (Print)
Code_Man65

Send a message via Yahoo to Code_Man65
Look, if you guys really want to make a difference, all of you should call in and ask for the Office Of The President contact info. A few thousand letters to that address will work wonders, trust me.
Code_Man65 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 02:43 PM   #78 (Print)
slacker9876

Quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
... So you end up with a middle layer of management that's focused more on doing what they think someone reviewing them wants done, than on paying attention to the products and services of the company and what their customers might be asking for.... I do hope at some level someone at DirecTV considers these things and looks to address them if they're found to exist.

I agree completely. Thus my focus group suggestion where they run the results by "joe user" and if he says cool, its done. If he says "huh?" maybe they wait. The only thing D* will consider is new ways to crush E*, V* & C* ... it is the agenda.

Speaking of which, the C* deal with Level 3 Communications {LVLT} is huge, we are talking terabit capacity huge. D* & E* could literally vanish in 5 years. It wont happen but this gives cable a HUGE boost. Done right they could take back 30% of current satellite customers, but that is years away.

Sorry to hijack ... D* mgmt is the problem here, not the customers whom just want a better product.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:45 PM   #79 (Print)
slacker9876

Quote:
Originally posted by Code_Man65
Look, if you guys really want to make a difference, all of you should call in and ask for the Office Of The President contact info. A few thousand letters to that address will work wonders, trust me.

I sent my letter, it is posted at SatelliteGuys.us under the same user name. They corporately blew me off
Old 12-14-2004, 02:53 PM   #80 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally posted by ebonovic
Guess I struck a nerve... It wasn't intentional... I just hope that DirecTV now realizes how much we REALLY REALLY REALLY want this feature....

Seems like you did.

Now go post that screen shot on as many satellite related boards as you can find so as many people as possible get to see it. Maybe if thousands of people start calling D* asking about it, they will finally understand that we do REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want this feature.

Besides, all you did was provide an easily recognizable pictorial confirmation of what the hackers had already said: The networking files were there, but turned off.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 03:04 PM   #81 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:

I don't think that W will do anythnig about it. You could blame the vast right wing conspiracy...

Old 12-14-2004, 03:19 PM   #82 (Print)
daperlman
check the rhime

Quote:
Originally posted by ebonovic
Just get the "bong".. no screen...
Dude I have screens if you don't mind cleaning the resin out of it, course I usually don't use those with the "bong"

local Red Cross chapter
daperlman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 03:35 PM   #83 (Print)
amgqmp1

Send a message via AIM to amgqmp1 Send a message via Yahoo to amgqmp1
Quote:

If anyone in a decision-making capacity considered (even for five minutes) releasing a patch to cover up that code...then I would say these forums are making quite a difference.

I don't mean to get all philosophical...but...as customers, it seems so blatantly obvious to us why this would make sense. Most are even smart enough to come up with and intelligently discuss the 1,000+ scenarios where it (HMO) would be profitable to DTV.......

.......so why doesn't it exist today?

If it truly is just internal corporate politics and middle-management B.S....then DTV deserves the negative future they may endure.

Meanwhile, I'm still anxious to learn when 6.1 will roll-out. I worked for a software company once that would never provide their customers with info on updates that were in the pipeline. They crashed and burned.
amgqmp1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 03:50 PM   #84 (Print)
bmccrea

Back to the original purpose of this thread, I just noticed that the D7DB code on that is on that screenshot also appears on his screenshot of the TiVo Publisher, here...

http://www.njentertainment.biz/eb/r10/post/tivo_pub.jpg
bmccrea is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 03:52 PM   #85 (Print)
dswallow
+258PC

So it's probably a "last 4 hex digits" ID to differentiate between different systems.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:03 PM   #86 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally posted by bmccrea
Back to the original purpose of this thread, I just noticed that the D7DB code on that is on that screenshot also appears on his screenshot of the TiVo Publisher,

Nice Catch....

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 04:39 PM   #87 (Print)
jason_j_a

What is the top secret "other forums" that people keep refering to?
jason_j_a is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 04:42 PM   #88 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Quote:
Originally posted by jason_j_a
What is the top secret "other forums" that people keep refering to?

Check your PM

Old 12-14-2004, 04:48 PM   #89 (Print)
lee espinoza
some guy

Quote:
Originally posted by Okeemike
Check your PM

can you pm me what you pm him?
lee espinoza is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-14-2004, 04:55 PM   #90 (Print)
gamecox86