Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2005, 11:54 PM   #1 (Print)
billoreilly

Question Improving future roll outs...

As I was writing a response (post 106) to the approve/disapprove of roll out poll thread, I thought it would be useful to start a new thread on making suggestions of what would make future roll outs better, and hopefully TIVO will make use of some of the suggestions.

For example, maybe surprise people with features they didn't announce from time to time, sample products with people before a roll out date to get a feel for the amount of needed support, have a priority sign up list before the expected roll out, make the priority list FIFO and stick to it, have some error checking on the priority list ( i read someone entered some bogus numbers and the web site took them, that means if you make a typo you will never know), figure out a way to create, implement, and get new features out faster (e.g. use parallel teams, hirer more dedicate hard working people, etc.), beat a announced roll out date once in awhile, etc.

What else?

Note, I didnt mention actually sticking to the proposed time frame as apparently there was some delay, which always seems inevitable, but it would have been nice if all eligible TIVO owners could have had it by the end of year 2004 as many were led to believe they would. Maybe a better approach would have been to overestimate the projected roll out date and to improve the estimating process (assuming something was wrong with the estimating process and that no one knew it really wasnt feasible to meet the roll out for everyone by the end of 2004 when making an announcement that led people to believe so.). If there was no issue with estimating the roll out date or if people knew the date could not be met well before the announcement, then the PR could be better. One thing I like to use in my job if not sure is actually saying estimated time to give me some wiggle room, and I may even go as far as saying +/- so many days. Of course maybe TIVO would feel such information would give competitors an advantage, but you can bet there are all ready a lot of companies working to get similar technology out as quick as they can to gain an advantage on TIVO so a known date may not change much. And again, if the competitive advantage thing is really an issue, it would only support not announcing every feature you plan to roll out ahead of time.

What else?

Last edited by billoreilly : 01-11-2005 at 12:52 AM.
billoreilly is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2005, 12:14 AM   #2 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

they could raise the monthly subscription 5 dollars and use that money to buy more CSRs and then just roll it out to everybody at once.

Raise it another 5 dollars and hire more developers so they could actually have parrallel development

etc..
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #3 (Print)
Paulson
DJ P

Priority list first, in 5,000 incriments per day and then roll out the rest of the TiVo units in 100 incriments per day...

that's probably crazy but who knows, I feel people on the priority list would be the least taxing on CSR's

Old 01-11-2005, 12:27 AM   #4 (Print)
billoreilly

I suppose...

raising fees is an option but it could be unfavorable due to competition. I work for a large corporation and there are plenty of ways to make improvements in efficiency and effectiveness without raising costs. It amazes me how many opportunities there actually are.

Anyway, I guess if wanting to consider raising fees as an option, they could also consider charging for the upgrade rather than rasing monthly fees, or even only charge people who are willing to pay in order to get the software sooner (taking advanatge of supply and demand). No matter what, PR could still be improved to minimize negative reactions. For example, if not raising fees a statement could be made to the effect of "In order to not raise the fee of existing customers to hire more support staff and expedite the roll out, we have chosen to slow the roll out...". Live and learn.

Last edited by billoreilly : 01-11-2005 at 12:51 AM.
billoreilly is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2005, 04:46 AM   #5 (Print)
YZFdave

I like that idea about charging more to have the upgrade sooner. Say, charge $10-15 bucks to have the update rolled out w/in 48hrs, or just wait a few weeks until everyone gets put on the standard waiting list.

Old 01-11-2005, 07:26 AM   #6 (Print)
Turtleboy
Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Turtleboy
They could explain about the rollout in Swahili, since it seems that so many people have trouble understanding English.
Turtleboy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2005, 01:54 PM   #7 (Print)
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

TiVo does generally sample the products before rollout, check the post from 10-08-2004 reminding us to update the beta application.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=199361

There almost always are unannounced/undocumented features, it just takes some time to find them.

I think the biggest issue causing the frustration here is how long it has been since TiVo2Go was first discussed and your sugestion of beating an announced roll out date is the best. Although I am sure some bugs would crop up and people would complain that TiVo should have waited until the announced date.
MighTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2005, 02:10 PM   #8 (Print)
glacebay

Here is an idear. Give the customer a little more information in a much more visible way. Like I was saying in another post, I didn't realize that my TIVO had to be on version 7.1x before the desktop service would work. Actually, whoever did the desktop client could have EASILY put in there somewhere a warning message "You must have a TIVO, HMO option and Version 7.1x of the Tivo software on the Tivo".... BAM! Atleast I am not sitting around scratching my heading wondering "Why is this not working?"

Also, is there any way to find out where you are on the list? Is it so hard to tell the customer "Here is where you are, this is you approx roll out time"

You don't need to jack the rates up... Just take a little care to inform the customer of your plan and execution. It's not like there are giving out trade secerts.. Shhh We are rolling to these set of boxes tommorow.. hush hush.. Pfft!

Seems to me that SOMEONE didn't want to COMMIT =) Can't be at fault, if you don't commit...

Sniff sniff, I wish at the place I worked at I could say "We are rolling out the release... there is no schedule..I'll get there when I get there"... haha
I would get.. FIRED!

Hail Tivo! It's a beautiful thing.... NEXT to Jay-Lo's bottom =)

Jason
glacebay is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #9 (Print)
clintgray

Improved rollouts

It seems to me that regardless of whether or not Tivo has done past rollouts in a similar fashion to this one, improvements could be made.

Tivo could have started releasing the new version to their sample groups before they ever stated that the feature was available. The message that went out to the Tivos in this sample group could have given those users directions to download the software. This would have let Tivo test user feedback / support needs without declaring it as a new feature. Once Tivo was comfortable with the rate the full release should be done, they could have then declared it as a new feature and put it on their website because at that point they could say they are rolling out as fast as possible and actually be telling the truth.

Also, the priority list is simply wrong. Tivo users who do not monitor this forum or check the Tivo website every other hour are not lesser Tivo customers and many who do not do this probably want new features as bad as customers that do. Tivo should have there own priority list that is either completely random or perhaps based on when Tivos where registered - really anything that could be stated as a clear policy. It would be nice if a time frame could be maintained by this policy. For example if they went by Tivo registration date they could maintain a page that shows what registration time frame is currently being updated.

Anyway, just my two cents... really not meant as a complaint - heaven forbid someone think that I was whining Some people in these forums can be somewhat less than pleasant....

Clint Gray
clintgray is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 01:51 AM   #10 (Print)
DavidJ

Send a message via ICQ to DavidJ
Bill,

I can't help but wonder why the Tivo community wasn't utilized in a larger way than what it was (if it was). I know there was a closed Beta, and I have no idea how many were in it, but it seems to me that on a "closed box" there's a lot less variables to test than something as large as the MS OS.

With that in mind, once the closed Beta was completed, why wasn't the community, involved in a much quicker roll out. I know, or at least it's my impression from reading these forums, that the main reason for this slow roll out is in order to gauge the support that will be required once it's released to everyone.

I'll be the first to admit that not all users here are overly tech savvy, and some would still need a lot of hand holding, but keep the support staff at the level it is, roll it out to the community and let the community (and Tivo) help each other.

Then roll it out to the remaining majority of Tivo users... the general public... who may not be aware of (or interested in) these additional features. This is when the gradual roll out to identify support requirements would of been appropriate.

In regards to an additional cost to let some of us get it early, I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Part of me says it is and part of me says it isn't. For one, I think it opens the door for fee based upgrades. I can see it now... pay for it now or wait 6 months until we (Tivo) decide to make it a GA release.

Also, I wonder what was learned by the support staff that wasn't learned during the Beta testing in regards to what sort of problems were encountered and what sort of additional support will be needed. I'm curious as to the effectiveness of this roll out.

Best Regards,

David...

PS... I wish the Spell check would recognize Tivo as a valid word

Last edited by DavidJ : 01-12-2005 at 09:15 AM.
DavidJ is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 02:10 AM   #11 (Print)
DavidJ

Quote:
Originally posted by ZeoTiVo
they could raise the monthly subscription 5 dollars and use that money to buy more CSRs and then just roll it out to everybody at once.

etc..

For how long ? Lets say a million units at an additional $5.00 for 3 months. That's a LOT of funding for CSR's. Lets say CSR wages are $20.00 an hour for a 40 hour work week. Thats $800.00. For an additional 60 - 90 days that's aprox $6,400 - $9,600 in wages. Average it out to$8,000 and multiply that by 200 CSR's. So far we only spent $1.6M (not counting SSI, bennefits, unemployment tax, etc...) but there's $10-$15M coming in.... So where's the rest of the money going? Also, after the release is well under way the need for these additional CSR's will have dropped dramatically.

And what about those who bought a lifetime subscription? They need to be charged as well.

Sorry I don't think increasing the subscription fee is the right answer, maybe $.50, but certainly nowhere near $5.00

David...
Old 01-12-2005, 09:24 AM   #12 (Print)
rainwater

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidJ
For how long ? Lets say a million units at an additional $5.00 for 3 months. That's a LOT of funding for CSR's. Lets say CSR wages are $20.00 an hour for a 40 hour work week. Thats $800.00. For an additional 60 - 90 days that's aprox $6,400 - $9,600 in wages. Average it out to$8,000 and multiply that by 200 CSR's. So far we only spent $1.6M (not counting SSI, bennefits, unemployment tax, etc...) but there's $10-$15M coming in.... So where's the rest of the money going? Also, after the release is well under way the need for these additional CSR's will have dropped dramatically.

And what about those who bought a lifetime subscription? They need to be charged as well.

Sorry I don't think increasing the subscription fee is the right answer, maybe $.50, but certainly nowhere near $5.00

David...

What about training these employees? What about the infastructure you have to build up to allow that many CSRs to answer the phone? Who's going to pay for the new building you have to lease for these new employees? Surely Tivo doesn't have a lot of offices with empty space. There's a lot more involved than just paying the employees salary.
rainwater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 09:24 AM   #13 (Print)
ElPuerco

I don't think raising the monthly subscription rate is an option. TiVo needs to be looking at ways to lower that subscription rate, IMO.

I do think there is an opportunity to charge people to be on the "First Received" list - pay $9.99 and you get the release before the general population.

I really think they should consider switching to a model where, in houses using MRV, TiVo updates (software and guide data) are downloaded to one system then propogated out to the other systems, where possible.

Old 01-12-2005, 10:08 AM   #14 (Print)
DavidJ

Quote:
Originally posted by rainwater
What about training these employees? What about the infastructure you have to build up to allow that many CSRs to answer the phone? Who's going to pay for the new building you have to lease for these new employees? Surely Tivo doesn't have a lot of offices with empty space. There's a lot more involved than just paying the employees salary.

You're absolutely right. The point remains the same though, we're talking about temporary expenses. So how much for how long? And how do those who are not paying a monthly fee going to ante up their share of the expense?

I still don't think I like a fee based process

David...
Old 01-12-2005, 10:10 AM   #15 (Print)
rainwater

Quote:
You're absolutely right. The point remains the same though, we're talking about temporary expenses. So how much for how long? And how do those who are not paying a monthly fee going to ante up their share of the expense?

I still don't think I like a fee based process

David...

There isn't going to be a fee based process. The point is the way they do the current rollout works. I think people are confused and think all rollout's are this way. But when they release bug fixes to 7.1, these issues do not exists and they can rollout them out quickly.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:12 AM   #16 (Print)
Gregor
Outinsider

Location: Inside, or Outside, it all depends on your frame of refrence.
Quote:
Originally posted by Turtleboy
They could explain about the rollout in Swahili, since it seems that so many people have trouble understanding English.

I'll second this. What part of TivoBill's announcement didn't everyone understand?

It was clearly stated the priority list would be rolled out over 3 weeks, IIRC.
Gregor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 11:45 AM   #17 (Print)
rengam

Quote:
Originally posted by glacebay
Here is an idear. Give the customer a little more information in a much more visible way. Like I was saying in another post, I didn't realize that my TIVO had to be on version 7.1x before the desktop service would work. Actually, whoever did the desktop client could have EASILY put in there somewhere a warning message "You must have a TIVO, HMO option and Version 7.1x of the Tivo software on the Tivo"

Um...

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.19.1.asp

"Your box will automatically receive the latest TiVo service update, version 7.1-X, through a scheduled rollout process, enabling you to transfer shows from your DVR to your desktop computer and/or laptop. Here's how to find out if you've received the latest version."

http://www.tivo.com/4.9.4.1.asp

"To get the TiVoToGo feature, you will need to have the latest version of the TiVo service installed on your DVR." (Which links back to the other page telling you which version you need and how to check.)

Rob
rengam is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 11:50 AM   #18 (Print)
morac

Send a message via AIM to morac Send a message via Yahoo to morac
Quote:
Originally posted by gregpr
I'll second this. What part of TivoBill's announcement didn't everyone understand?

It was clearly stated the priority list would be rolled out over 3 weeks, IIRC.

About the only thing TiVo could do that they didn't was pop up a message on the TiVo itself explaining the upgrade process. And I bet even if they did that people wouldn't follow directions.

morac is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #19 (Print)
remba

it would have also been helpful if in their grand rollout and press releases at last weeks trade show that they would have made mention that it was gonna take a few weeks before being able to use the new features. Instead they just made an anouncement that Tivo-2-go was available immediatly (at least thats how it was reported in the AP and other news outlets).
remba is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 12:05 PM   #20 (Print)
remba

it would have also been helpful if in their grand rollout and press releases at last weeks trade show that they would have made mention that it was gonna take a few weeks before being able to use the new features. Instead they just made an anouncement that Tivo-2-go was available immediatly (at least thats how it was reported in the AP and other news outlets).
remba is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 12:10 PM   #21 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally posted by morac
About the only thing TiVo could do that they didn't was pop up a message on the TiVo itself explaining the upgrade process. And I bet even if they did that people wouldn't follow directions.

When a particular customer receives this update, they do receive a mesage on their DVR letting them know about TiVoToGo and how to get more info about it. Messaging customers ahead of time would just lead to MORE people wanting it right now. The great majority of our customers have not year heard of the TiVoToGo feature.
TiVoBill is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 12:13 PM   #22 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Originally posted by remba
it would have also been helpful if in their grand rollout and press releases at last weeks trade show that they would have made mention that it was gonna take a few weeks before being able to use the new features. Instead they just made an announcement that Tivo-2-go was available immediately (at least thats how it was reported in the AP and other news outlets).

Our press release said that customers would receive the update during a "during a scheduled rollout process."

Last edited by TiVoBill : 01-12-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:18 PM   #23 (Print)
BiloxiGeek
Reality Challenged

Quote:
Originally posted by remba
Instead they just made an anouncement that Tivo-2-go was available immediatly (at least thats how it was reported in the AP and other news outlets).

The Tivo press releases and the news media reporting usually aren't the same thing. One CNet reporter wrote an article that after reading would make you think that TivoToGo only worked if you had a laptop computer. Tivo has been up front and clear about the capabilities and schedule for this upgrade. If you read the official Tivo press release it's all there in plain english.

P.S. I always thought journalists were supposed to ask questions and get the facts before writing/reporting. But from some of the TivoToGo articles I've read lately it's pretty obvious some journalists just look at a press release and write their interpretation of it, regardless of completeness or accuracy.

| Series 2 - 40 Hour Umodified (So Far)
| Series 2 - 40 Hour Umodified (So Far)
| The early bird may get the worm,
| but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...
\--------------------------------------
BiloxiGeek is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #24 (Print)
TiVoBill

Quote:
Bill,

I can't help but wonder why the Tivo community wasn't utilized in a larger way than what it was (if it was). I know there was a closed Beta, and I have no idea how many were in it, but it seems to me that on a "closed box" there's a lot less variables to test than something as large as the MS OS.

We had beta and early access releases, both of which had a considerable number of participants from TiVo Community Forum (they are still all under NDA by the way).

Quote:
With that in mind, once the closed Beta was completed, why wasn't the community, involved in a much quicker roll out. I know, or at least it's my impression from reading these forums, that the main reason for this slow roll out is in order to gauge the support that will be required once it's released to everyone.

That is the entire reason for the priority list. We must do a random rollout the first week. During the next few weeks, people on the priority list will receive the update, well ahead of the general customer population. This allows the most anxious customers to receive it early on in the rollout process. Given the amount of negative feedback on this issue, it is certainly possible that we will not offer priority lists in the future and will distribute it truly randomly to minimize apparent anxiety on the part of some forum participants who signed up on the priority list.

Quote:
PS... I wish the Spell check would recognize Tivo as a valid word

It does, but you have to spell it correctly -- TiVo.
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #25 (Print)
cat5

Well I put some thought into it and what I think would help a little at least would be a dynamic view into the priority list.

It would not take very much, a simple asp or java servlet linked from the tivo home page. You could give the project to a summer intern, web development skills would be very minimal.

The user would put in the Tivo service number and it would return confirmation that indeed your Tivo was on the list, what number you are in the queue, and how many Installs have been completed to date.
It might have other information for example total number of people on the priority list and units processed per day.

It WOULD NOT have any completion time estimates, It would be up to the reader to guess when they might get the update.

Aside from the frequent ranting, the most asked questions in this forum are how long before My unit gets the update. People posting exact times and dates it hit their Tivos.

Just some thoughts

cassie@distributed-home.com
cat5 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 01:13 PM   #26 (Print)
DavidJ

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill

It does, but you have to spell it correctly -- TiVo.

LOL... Maybe I shouldn't be posting so late at night

Thanks for the response, interesting how the word "must" was in italics. I must of missed something in all these threads as to why there had to be a random roll out.

Oh well.... I still don't get it but I guess it really doesn't matter. I've just been involved in several of these threads because I really don't understand the methology and from my point of view, I see better options.

Maybe when I'm a CEO, or Director in a company, I can make these sort of calls

Best Regards,

David...
Old 01-12-2005, 01:46 PM   #27 (Print)
zeeke

Quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill

That is the entire reason for the priority list. We must do a random rollout the first week. During the next few weeks, people on the priority list will receive the update, well ahead of the general customer population. This allows the most anxious customers to receive it early on in the rollout process. Given the amount of negative feedback on this issue, it is certainly possible that we will not offer priority lists in the future and will distribute it truly randomly to minimize apparent anxiety on the part of some forum participants who signed up on the priority list.

TiVoBill,

I can see from your reply that TiVo, just does not get it on this issue. Yanking the priority list is not the answer! Like it or not, the very success of TiVo as a company depends on keeping the users on this forum happy (pain in the *ss or not!). Your market segment is getting increasingly crowded and the evangelism of your userbase is going to be more important than ever. Your CEO should have it as one of their goals to "Keep the gearheads on tivocommunity happy." Tivo users are rabid, they expect alot. But don't underestimate what adding a few features from the "Suggested Features" thread could do for you going forward. Don't make the mistake of turning what should be positive (free upgrade, priority list) into something negative through poor execution. I'm not buying you don't already have adequate bandwidth to hit the priority list in a couple days (correct me if I'm wrong), and the users on that list would have negligable impact on your Support Staff - most would probably look here first for answers. "But we've always done it that way", shouldn't keep you from rethinking and tweaking your process. I've had my TiVo for over a year now and I've really enjoyed it and want to see TiVo succeed as a company....

Thanks though for participating in the forum.

--Zeeke
zeeke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #28 (Print)
rainwater

Quote:
Originally posted by zeeke
TiVoBill,

I can see from your reply that TiVo, just does not get it on this issue. Yanking the priority list is not the answer! Like it or not, the very success of TiVo as a company depends on keeping the users on this forum happy (pain in the *ss or not!). Your market segment is getting increasingly crowded and the evangelism of your userbase is going to be more important than ever. Your CEO should have it as one of their goals to "Keep the gearheads on tivocommunity happy." Tivo users are rabid, they expect alot. But don't underestimate what adding a few features from the "Suggested Features" thread could do for you going forward. Don't make the mistake of turning what should be positive (free upgrade, priority list) into something negative through poor execution. I'm not buying you don't already have adequate bandwidth to hit the priority list in a couple days (correct me if I'm wrong), and the users on that list would have negligable impact on your Support Staff - most would probably look here first for answers. "But we've always done it that way", shouldn't keep you from rethinking and tweaking your process. I've had my TiVo for over a year now and I've really enjoyed it and want to see TiVo succeed as a company....

Thanks though for participating in the forum.

--Zeeke

You have to be kidding me. You mean that TiVo should become a puppet for forum users? haha. What a riot. If I were TiVo I would never do a priority list again. It started out as a service to TiVo Community members but now has turned into an outlet for people to whine. If people want fairness, then don't do a priority list and make them wait their turn like everybody else.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:27 PM   #29 (Print)
zeeke

Quote:
Originally posted by rainwater
You have to be kidding me. You mean that TiVo should become a puppet for forum users? haha. What a riot. If I were TiVo I would never do a priority list again. It started out as a service to TiVo Community members but now has turned into an outlet for people to whine. If people want fairness, then don't do a priority list and make them wait their turn like everybody else.

If this is the best they can do as far as a "PRIORITY" list goes, then I agree, don't do it, because it is hurting more then helping. You are missing my essential point though, by doing so they are missing an opportunity to do something that will help their bottom line. As far as being puppets, that's not what I'm suggesting. But they need to be more responsive to this group when it asks for simple features like disk space indicators, simple editing, more intelligent schedule conflict resolution for partial records, etc. As a TiVo user, I want them to succeed - which is not going to be easy going forward, so I'd prefer to see them handle things a little better...

--Zeeke
zeeke is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #30 (Print)
dschultznet

oops... I orig. posted this under wrong thread

I don't agree with releasing it to people not on the Priority list when the priority list is not finished. If people did not know about the tivo2go and received it, they are probably not that savvy. It is like winking at a women in the dark... what's the point? The novice, who has no idea about Tivo2go, would be the ones calling CSR if they did stumble on the update... I think the people who signed the Priority list (like I did Monday morning after the posting the night before) should get the update first and report real problems as apposed to problems that 'rocks-with-arms' may ask.

Still waiting....
dschultznet is offline Report Bad Post Report Post