Old 01-21-2005, 12:42 PM   #31 (Print)
tkncareofbsnss

Send a message via AIM to tkncareofbsnss
LIES ALL LIES!!!!!!

tkncareofbsnss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-21-2005, 12:52 PM   #32 (Print)
marrone
Phased Member

Taxes in Florida are something like 13.17% . For my TC+ w/locals, 2nd receiver, and TiVo service, I pay right around $7 in tax .

I guess someone's gotta pay for Jeb Bush's tax cuts.

-Mike

Old 01-21-2005, 01:41 PM   #33 (Print)
TVKitty

So, they're charging $3 more, but changing the package to include locals. I pay $3/month now for my locals. So total choice without locals is probably $3/month less, or what we're paying now.

Am I missing something here? I don't see how this is a price increase.
TVKitty is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #34 (Print)
mattg

Well, yesterday I got an advertisement from Adelphia (cable co at my new place - the $65 was from Comcast). They had a promotional price for AnaDigital cable for $50 on one TV. This would include a few digital channels and their pathetic analog lineup, which features more than a few horrible channels.

I pay $53 now for two digital receivers and Tivo. If $50 is their promotional rate....
mattg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-21-2005, 02:05 PM   #35 (Print)
tarrkid
Mouth-breather

Quote:
Originally posted by GuidoTKP
Sorry but there will be no price protection this year so even if you have a 1 yr commitment your price will be going up.

As part of my call to Retention today, getting a new DirecTiVo, the nice lady on the phone mentioned that, of course, I would have a new 1-year contract, and that my rates would not go up.

Old 01-21-2005, 02:16 PM   #36 (Print)
GuidoTKP
Good Times

Send a message via Yahoo to GuidoTKP
Quote:
Originally posted by tarrkid
As part of my call to Retention today, getting a new DirecTiVo, the nice lady on the phone mentioned that, of course, I would have a new 1-year contract, and that my rates would not go up.

Well unless the people who make policy changed their minds in the last 2 days there will be no price protections this year...I have seen the policy for the price increases and it specifically says that price protection will not be included this year.

And happy with what I have.
GuidoTKP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-21-2005, 02:36 PM   #37 (Print)
tarrkid
Mouth-breather

Quote:
Originally posted by GuidoTKP
Well unless the people who make policy changed their minds in the last 2 days there will be no price protections this year...I have seen the policy for the price increases and it specifically says that price protection will not be included this year.

Bizarre...

Old 01-21-2005, 02:48 PM   #38 (Print)
leesweet
TC Special Member

BTW, I have "Premier w/locals" now at $90.99, so it's a $3 increase for the new "Premier" including locals.

Are we really going to whine about a $36 max difference over the next year assuming you *just* got a commitment added (as I did for my new HD TiVo)? Now, if they raised all the other fees (mirror, etc.), that could be different!

As for the CSRs, I *never* expect them to know anything. I had to get a supervisor to activate the TiVo a few weeks ago. They never have current info, so you expect them to *know* that there is or isn't a price protection this year? I don't think so...

Old 01-21-2005, 04:27 PM   #39 (Print)
Martin Tupper
Not Actual Size

Quote:
Originally posted by taylor2767
DTV has to honor those on 1yr commitments otherwise how can they intern force their customers to 1yr commitments when they don't honor them. Sounds like fraud if they don't . BTW taxes in OHIO are 5.75% on top of all programming and equipment. I have three receivers and they get taxed and so on and so on.

The 5.75% tax on the $3.00 increase will add an additional $0.17.

Sorry kids, there'll be no Christmas this year

Old 01-21-2005, 05:37 PM   #40 (Print)
Michael R
Major

Quote:
Originally posted by rbrtnfld
So, they're charging $3 more, but changing the package to include locals. I pay $3/month now for my locals. So total choice without locals is probably $3/month less, or what we're paying now. Am I missing something here? I don't see how this is a price increase.

If we choose not to subscribe to locals are we now FORCED into a higher priced package with locals IF they are available, whether we want them or not?

Michael R is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-22-2005, 12:51 AM   #41 (Print)
jones07
eff.org warrior

Feed the pigs kiddies

Old 01-22-2005, 09:53 AM   #42 (Print)
Bob Coxner

Quote:
So, they're charging $3 more, but changing the package to include locals. I pay $3/month now for my locals. So total choice without locals is probably $3/month less, or what we're paying now.

Old: TC+ without locals $39.99
TC+ with locals $42.99

New TC+ without locals $42.99
TC+ with locals $45.99

Previously locals were charged separately. Now they're assumed, unless you elect to drop them.

Looks like a price increase to ME.

Note that there are (currently) no plans to increase prices on the Todos Paros packages. Many English speakers already sub to them to save money, this should encourage more to check it out. You only lose a few English channels by switching, although Fox News is one of them.
Bob Coxner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-22-2005, 12:20 PM   #43 (Print)
diggerg56
Stranded in Iowa

Are there places that don't pay sales tax on cable? I still use cable for Internet and get basic cable service as a back-up for local channels and for a tv used in the kitchen sometimes.

My assorted extra taxes and fees with Mediacom are:
$.73 Franchise Fee
$. 65 Sales Tax
$. 06 Regulatory Fee
$ .50 Public Access Programming Fee
_______
$1.94

I called one day to ask what the "regulatory fee" was for and they couldn't even tell me! It's not much but you would think they would know what it was for......

Old 01-22-2005, 01:45 PM   #44 (Print)
dmurphy
yhpruM sinneD

Quote:
Originally posted by diggerg56
Are there places that don't pay sales tax on cable? I still use cable for Internet and get basic cable service as a back-up for local channels and for a tv used in the kitchen sometimes.

My assorted extra taxes and fees with Mediacom are:
$.73 Franchise Fee
$. 65 Sales Tax
$. 06 Regulatory Fee
$ .50 Public Access Programming Fee
_______
$1.94

I called one day to ask what the "regulatory fee" was for and they couldn't even tell me! It's not much but you would think they would know what it was for......

I have no idea about tax on cable *TV* service, but I pay a flat $29.95/mo for my cable Internet service from Cablevision (Optimum Online).... I also don't pay any tax on my DirecTV bill.

But being in NJ, I pay the automobile insurance tax, so they still get me somehow ...
dmurphy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-22-2005, 04:04 PM   #45 (Print)
rolltide1017

I'm going to be switching to Brighthouse at the end of February (not b/c of this price hike) when move to my new apartment b/c it will actually save me money. For $103/month with Brighthouse I'll get there digital combo tier with cable internet, all of there HD channels they offer (minus the premium movie channels like HBO, Showtime etc.) and a HD DVR. If I add my current DSL and phone bill to my DirecTV bill switching to Brighthouse will save me at least $30/month.
rolltide1017 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-22-2005, 09:22 PM   #46 (Print)
trainman
Man of Trains

Send a message via AIM to trainman
Quote:
Originally posted by diggerg56
Are there places that don't pay sales tax on cable?

I checked an old cable bill from here in North Hollywood, and the only items listed under "taxes and fees" were a $2.85 "franchise fee" and a $0.05 "regulatory fee." No sales tax.

Old 01-22-2005, 11:31 PM   #47 (Print)
Phantom Gremlin

Just do what I do.

Last time there was an increase, I canceled Starz/Encore. This time, as soon as I see something official, I'm canceling HBO. No Sopranos until 2006 anyway.

I plan on calling to cancel, instead of using the web. That way I can tell them that I'm canceling because of the price increase. If enough people are willing to to this, then DTV will have more of an incentive to hold down prices.
Phantom Gremlin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-23-2005, 07:35 AM   #48 (Print)
bengalfreak

Don't blame D* for charging you sales tax. They have no choice. Here in OH, there was a big sales tax rewrite two years ago. I was all for this since our economy has been shifting to a service economy for years and it was high time those industries had to pay their fair share also. (I know, Iknow it still comes out of my pocket)

Anyway, thru tremendous donations to political campaigns, the cable industry as a whole was able to get itself exempted from the sales tax increase. Thus, I pay tax on D* service but my dad does not on Time Warner Cable.

Old 01-23-2005, 12:18 PM   #49 (Print)
jones07
eff.org warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by bengalfreak

Anyway, thru tremendous donations to political campaigns, the cable industry as a whole was able to get itself exempted from the sales tax increase. Thus, I pay tax on D* service but my dad does not on Time Warner Cable.

Way to go Cable

Old 01-23-2005, 01:29 PM   #50 (Print)
netringer

Quote:
Originally posted by dmurphy
I have no idea about tax on cable *TV* service, but I pay a flat $29.95/mo for my cable Internet service from Cablevision (Optimum Online).... I also don't pay any tax on my DirecTV bill.

But being in NJ, I pay the automobile insurance tax, so they still get me somehow ...

The "regulatory fee" is a another name for a money grab. It's supposedly the passed-along cost of having to comply with regulations. In other words, one many costs of doing business which they had along. When they break it out it's a money grab but you're supposed to think it's another tax.

Cell phone companies have been pulling this scam for years. When they had to do number portability they added that charge on everybody's bill.

I just got a $3.99 "regulatory recovery fee" added to my monthly DSL bill. You know what it is in that case? A profit center. 5M subs * $4 more a month = $20,000,000 more revenue every month!

SCAM!

One thing you need to do when shopping around and comparing plans is find out how many "fees" they add to the $29.95 a month deal you're looking at. You might have a hard time getting the sales rep to tell you. The "fees" could make the bargain cost 20% more.

Look for new fees: "CSR rep phone bill recovery," "call center heating bill recovery," "truck fuel cost recovery," "satellite management expense recovery," "management perks costs recovery"....

with Seagate Barracuda drives
netringer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-24-2005, 04:28 AM   #51 (Print)
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

The price increase won't kill me. I've got a 1 year commitement and even if I was off of it, I'd still likely continue. I'm only on TC w/locals and I like DirecTivo and the PQ of DirecTV vs. crappy analog cable here.
Quote:
Originally posted by lew
The more expensive stations are the sports stations: ESPN and your local RSN. AFAIK contractually they have to be on the lowest tier. Many of the stations we don't watch cost Directv next to nothing.

That's too bad about those damned contracts. I'm not a typical guy and I'd gladly go w/a cheaper package which only ESPN and virtually all the sports channels removed.

RCA DVR80
TiVos w/lifetime: Sony SVR-2000, Philips HDR212, Tivo TCD540080
cwerdna is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 08:15 PM   #52 (Print)
NJStealth

Directv vs Comcast

Comcast cable called me with an offer for an HD DVR and a regualr DVR with digital cable and high speed internet for 70 dollars a month total for a year. Any idea when directv is going to get reasonable on there hd dvr prices? I love directv but if comcast finally starts competing with directv prices finally I might be inclined to switch.
NJStealth is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 10:23 PM   #53 (Print)
crunkrock

ok.. the facts from a VERY reliable source....

March 1st is day it starts.
It is a 3.00 increase to just the 3 major plans.
no other services are being increased
and, sorry to say, there is absolutly no contracts, even if you just signed up as a new customer, you will have to abide by the new prices due march.

as well, dish is plannign a rate increase.
crunkrock is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 10:45 PM   #54 (Print)
NJStealth

Don't you think if you call directv to cancel and when they ask why tell them because of price increase they will waive it for the year
NJStealth is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-25-2005, 10:52 PM   #55 (Print)
bduck

Sure, if you can actually GET locals...

Quote:

Well, for the 20% or so of D* customers who can't get and will NEVER get locals, it's a price increase. That $3 more a month is buying ME nothing, and they won't offer me locals even if I wanted them (and I DO!)

I live in the 145th largest market (I think it is), and D* will NEVER provide me with locals. The legislation Congress passed last year to OK Fox's takeover of D* cut off the market size at 130 for mandatory carry of local stations, and I can;t imagine D* will voluntarily carry any locals in markets smaller than then that. So unless Salisbury, MD gets a LOT bigger quick, I'll never get locals from D*.

And don't get me started on switching to Comcast - I have an inactive line that ends at my driveway and those lazy jerks won't even turn it on.

So, yeah, for some of us, this WOULD be a price increase, since we can't get locals, even if we wanted to. And Tivo doesn't help much with OTA signals, either.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:13 AM   #56 (Print)
rborden

Re: I can't berlieve this to be true

RE:
Quote:
Originally posted by mhallerbach
I just moved from Dish to Directv(Basically because I wanted a Tivo unit(and get rid of my old 4000 receiver) and Dish was unwilling to give me an upgrade deal without charging me monthly equipment fees(I had been with them since 1996 when they first started - they don't endorse loyalty). Signed a 1 year contract end of Dec 2004 - You can't tell me they are going to raise my fees(They must of known about the price increase coming and didn't say anything to me ). Its not the couple of bucks, its the principal of the matter. If you compare DirecTv to Dish comparable programming is less with Dish(Even before the increase), and my opinion is service quality is comparable.

If they try to pull that crap, I will contact the department of consumer affairs, or ship their crappy R-10 back to them and cancel.

I'm mad now

First, you should learn to read the details.In every dtv ad near the bottom it says "*prices subject to change."Second,go back to dish they raised their prices last mnth $4 to $5 opposed to dtv's $2 and $3

Last edited by rborden : 01-26-2005 at 02:04 AM.
rborden is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-26-2005, 09:50 AM   #57 (Print)
Bob Coxner

Re: Sure, if you can actually GET locals...

Quote:
Originally posted by bduck
Well, for the 20% or so of D* customers who can't get and will NEVER get locals, it's a price increase. That $3 more a month is buying ME nothing, and they won't offer me locals even if I wanted them (and I DO!)

I live in the 145th largest market (I think it is), and D* will NEVER provide me with locals. The legislation Congress passed last year to OK Fox's takeover of D* cut off the market size at 130 for mandatory carry of local stations, and I can;t imagine D* will voluntarily carry any locals in markets smaller than then that. So unless Salisbury, MD gets a LOT bigger quick, I'll never get locals from D*.

I've rarely seen so much misinformation in one post.

There are two prices in the new pricing schedule - one with locals and one without locals. If you have locals you pay $3 more. If you don't have locals voluntarily, or they aren't offered to you, then you don't pay for them. For example, the new price for TC+ with locals is $45.99. TC+ without locals is $42.99. If you aren't getting locals now you're not paying for them and that won't change with the price increase.

Congress didn't pass any legislation to ok Fox's takeover. Merger approval is done by the FCC and the Justice Department.

There is no mandatory carry of local stations by market size - it's up to each satellite provider to decide which markets to serve. They are trying to serve as many as possible (to help make the FCC/Congress happy and increase sales) but they aren't doing it for legal reasons.

DTV is launching 4 new sats in the next two years. Most of the capacity will go to HD locals but there is talk of some bandwidth going to small SD locals. Even markets not currently carried have hope.
Bob Coxner is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-26-2005, 10:36 AM   #58 (Print)
paulfife

Quote:
Originally posted by crunkrock
ok.. the facts from a VERY reliable source....

March 1st is day it starts.
It is a 3.00 increase to just the 3 major plans.
no other services are being increased
and, sorry to say, there is absolutly no contracts, even if you just signed up as a new customer, you will have to abide by the new prices due march.

as well, dish is plannign a rate increase.

I was under contract when the last price increase went into effect and I was protected from the increase until the contract ended. This is the way they've always done it, and I'd be pretty surprised if it changed.
paulfife is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #59 (Print)
mikenmike

$3.00 too much for my blood. I'm out...a make that downgrading from plus to just total choice. $3.00 is about what cable raises their rates every year and thats why I dumped cable.
mikenmike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #60 (Print)
Rkkeller

I can live with only 4 price increases in the last 10 or so years. In fact I think thats great compared to cables constant increases every year or few months. No changes to my plan for me.

Rich
Rkkeller is offline Report Bad Post Report Post