Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 03-25-2005, 11:27 PM   #1 (Print)
darkcyber

How much record time is left

I think a wonderful feature would be to know how much time time/space you have left on your Tivo.

Yes, I know that various depending on what quality you record at...but really it wouldn't be that hard. Windows and other OS's do it...so why can't Tivo.

It could be in the form of you have a certain % of space left...in the form of amount of time left based on a certain record quality...etc.

I think this would be a hugh help to Tivo users.
darkcyber is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-26-2005, 11:25 AM   #2 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

Look for the FSI thread. A much asked feature.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-26-2005, 09:29 PM   #3 (Print)
gman622

gman622 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 08:11 AM   #4 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

One additional two cents here... just discovered that when one shows more info about a recorded show, it actually reports what % of the drive was used.

Ergo, it would be a simple matter of TiVo adding those up to let you know how much space has been filled--and subtract it from total space to show available space. (Let the user worry about recording quality setting--or show space available broken out by recording quality.)

But the key thing is that TiVo already keeps track of the % used.
TiVoEvan74 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 08:19 AM   #5 (Print)
TivoGeezer
Boomer pushing 60

Send a message via AIM to TivoGeezer
Irrelevant.

Sometimes I look so much like my Dad, I scare myself.
TivoGeezer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 12:12 PM   #6 (Print)
flaminio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoGeezer
Irrelevant.
I agree. This feature, while oft asked for, adds nothing to my TiVo experience. Maybe I'm weird, but with over 100 SPs and ARWLs, my TiVo is *always* full. I already know my free space -- it's *0*.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:28 PM   #7 (Print)
gman622

i don't agree
gman622 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-27-2005, 03:46 PM   #8 (Print)
mmascari

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminio
I agree. This feature, while oft asked for, adds nothing to my TiVo experience. Maybe I'm weird, but with over 100 SPs and ARWLs, my TiVo is *always* full. I already know my free space -- it's *0*.

Current Space Usage

Works bets for always full, since then the total size available is known.
mmascari is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #9 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

I'll bite. What's irrelevant?
Old 03-28-2005, 04:25 PM   #10 (Print)
PeternJim

This comes up a lot, but it seems to me to beg the question. I don't really actually want to know how much space is on my TiVo (which is even more true for people like flaminio who actually use their suggestions) --

what I really want to know is when things are going to be deleted, and in what order. If there was a "to delete list" similar to the "to do list" I could see whether I have plenty of time to watch something or whether an unexpected 48 hour TV Land marathon is about to erase everything on my disk, and react appropriately.

Yes, the information is there, but checking each program takes an eternity of remote keystrokes. A To Delete list would present it all in one picture. They could even make it another choice on the To Do List, as View Recording History currently is (which is essentially a Won't Record List going forward.)

Peter
PeternJim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 12:55 PM   #11 (Print)
Blinkwise

yeah i agree peter, like maybe the next step after the yellow circle with a ! on it could be a red circle with a number. Like a red circle with a number 5 would be 5th in line...all the way to a red circle with the number 1 which will be deleted soonest
Blinkwise is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-29-2005, 05:31 PM   #12 (Print)
TivoGeezer
Boomer pushing 60

Send a message via AIM to TivoGeezer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74
I'll bite. What's irrelevant?

The OP's request. Free space indicator.

I put a hack on my SVR-2000 once which would display such info and, after a couple months, realized I never used or needed it. So it is gone. The Tivo always records my stuff and, assuming I am able to watch it sometime in the next couple weeks, it can go away when the Tivo needs the space and I don't care how much more or less I have.

Sometimes I look so much like my Dad, I scare myself.
TivoGeezer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 03-30-2005, 02:41 PM   #13 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

Peter, great idea! A Delete List is a smart notion. I'd still like free space indicator and a recycle bin, but this one is now on my list. Have you posted that to TiVo on its suggestion page?

Geoff, what do you do with shows you really want to watch? Just record them as Keep until I delete?
Old 03-31-2005, 03:23 PM   #14 (Print)
darkcyber

Well, I have to disagree with those who are posting that a feature that will tell you how much free space you have left is basically useless. I bought the 40 hour Tivo unit, so I don't have a million hours of storage space. I'm recording alot of childrens programs for my daugther to watch and leaving them on the Tivo for now. My wife knows how to use the Tivo so it's very easy for her to play the programs from there.

I also record several other shows on a regular basis. Having a feature that tells me how much space is left would be VERY USEFUL in the fact I could see if I needed to move something off my Tivo to my pc with Tivo ToGo to free up space to record a show while I may be out of town. Because if there isn't enough space on your Tivo and you have it scheduled to record a program...guess what...it will not record your program because your hd is full.

As far as a to do delete list...maybe that might be useful...simple thing is just go in every day or two and select the ones you want to keep. On this topic...I think a better feature would be for the Tivo unit to default to KEEP UNTIL I DELETE and this would make sure your shows were saved and you could just go delete what you didn't need to keep any longer.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:49 AM   #15 (Print)
themckee

A FPI would make the decision easier if you weren't sure if you had enough room to record Apollo 13 without having the TiVo delete last week's Lost.

Old 08-08-2005, 07:55 AM   #16 (Print)
darkcyber

Well, I just got a new Dish Network system that came with a DVR 625 and it's amazing that this unit shows exactly how much record time is left. Still don't know why Tivo refuses to listen to their customers and add this feature...if Dish Network can do it, then Tivo can to.

Old 08-17-2005, 01:43 AM   #17 (Print)
emeril2k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcyber
Well, I have to disagree with those who are posting that a feature that will tell you how much free space you have left is basically useless. I bought the 40 hour Tivo unit, so I don't have a million hours of storage space. I'm recording alot of childrens programs for my daugther to watch and leaving them on the Tivo for now. My wife knows how to use the Tivo so it's very easy for her to play the programs from there.

I also record several other shows on a regular basis. Having a feature that tells me how much space is left would be VERY USEFUL in the fact I could see if I needed to move something off my Tivo to my pc with Tivo ToGo to free up space to record a show while I may be out of town. Because if there isn't enough space on your Tivo and you have it scheduled to record a program...guess what...it will not record your program because your hd is full.

As far as a to do delete list...maybe that might be useful...simple thing is just go in every day or two and select the ones you want to keep. On this topic...I think a better feature would be for the Tivo unit to default to KEEP UNTIL I DELETE and this would make sure your shows were saved and you could just go delete what you didn't need to keep any longer.

Just turn Tivo Suggestions on. It doesn't matter whether you watch them or not. When the number of suggestions starts getting low, you know that the HD is getting full and it's time to start deleting programs you don't need.
emeril2k1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-17-2005, 09:00 AM   #18 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

Yep, turning on Suggestions (a good workaround) is what many of us do to crudely track the amount of space left. But it only takes us so far... some of the Suggested recordings could be 3 hour+ movies... so there could be lots of space left but only a few in the Suggestions list. Also, if one's going away for a week or two, you want a fix on time available to see if one's shows will fit in. And, as mentioned, one wants a better fix on whether already recorded shows will be deleted while away, too!

Also, for our 2nd TiVo, in the bedroom, we've turned off recording Suggestions because it wakes us up at night! So Suggestions won't help us there to keep track of space remaining.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if you select an individual show, TiVo can tell you what % of the hard drive it takes up... if it knows that, it also knows how much space is currently available! It's just not telling us. (Really bad move on TiVo's part.) If it knows that, it could even calculate how much space is needed for the next 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. and even give you an alert if you chose.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:08 AM   #19 (Print)
Steeler Mike

Quote:
One additional two cents here... just discovered that when one shows more info about a recorded show, it actually reports what % of the drive was used.

Ergo, it would be a simple matter of TiVo adding those up to let you know how much space has been filled--and subtract it from total space to show available space. (Let the user worry about recording quality setting--or show space available broken out by recording quality.)

But the key thing is that TiVo already keeps track of the % used.

How do you show more info? I'm not familar with that feature. Thanks.
Steeler Mike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 AM   #20 (Print)
emeril2k1

Quote:
Yep, turning on Suggestions (a good workaround) is what many of us do to crudely track the amount of space left. But it only takes us so far... some of the Suggested recordings could be 3 hour+ movies... so there could be lots of space left but only a few in the Suggestions list. Also, if one's going away for a week or two, you want a fix on time available to see if one's shows will fit in. And, as mentioned, one wants a better fix on whether already recorded shows will be deleted while away, too!

Also, for our 2nd TiVo, in the bedroom, we've turned off recording Suggestions because it wakes us up at night! So Suggestions won't help us there to keep track of space remaining.

As I mentioned elsewhere, if you select an individual show, TiVo can tell you what % of the hard drive it takes up... if it knows that, it also knows how much space is currently available! It's just not telling us. (Really bad move on TiVo's part.) If it knows that, it could even calculate how much space is needed for the next 1 week, 2 weeks, etc. and even give you an alert if you chose.

Before I go out of town, I delete all the shows I don't need, Tivo-to-Go all the shows I do want to keep, and set the programs that I don't want to miss to "Never delete."

I've never missed a recording.

I could care less about a free space indicator, give me colabrative scheduling so that my two tivos can work together.
emeril2k1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #21 (Print)
darkcyber

Well, I save alot of childrens shows on my Tivo for my daugther to watch. It's really easy for my wife to turn it on and pull them up. I record alot of children shows for her, with the intention of leaving these on the Tivo for fast and easy access.

I would like to see how much space is left on my Tivo so I know I have enough space to occassionally record my scifi shows that I like to watch.

For all those crying about wanting to know what order something is going to be deleted...I don't worry about it...I just set everything I record to 'keep until I delete', then I don't have to worry about it...I choose when I want it deleted...thus back to problem number 1...how much space is left since I'm keeping everything

Just because you don't feel it's an important feature request...doesn't mean it's not important to someone else who has different needs than what you do

Old 09-04-2005, 07:28 AM   #22 (Print)
TiVoEvan74

To show more information... select the show, it will show you a little information and your options of Play, Keep, Delete, etc. At that point, if you use the Info button, you will get a long scrolling list of more detail! (Use the Channel button to scroll up and down.)

The last entry is how much space is being taken up.

"Delete all the shows I don't need"... that's the rub... and would take me hours to go through... plus gobs of shows are in the grey area "do I really want this? Well, sort of. Oh, yeah, that show, that would be pretty good to have some time... but maybe I'd rather have that new comedy taped...hmm... how many hours will I be taping when I'm gone? How much space is left on this thing, anyway?"

If they would only provide the Free Space Indicator and a "To be recorded during the next week (or 2 or 3)" one could tell at a glance if one even needed to delete to free up space. Again, given that they already know how much space each show takes up, they certainly can calculate how much space is free and how space will be needed. (And yes, that's assuming the schedule remains as is.)
Old 09-14-2005, 02:30 AM   #23 (Print)
Joe Smith
Medium Member

Quote:
To show more information... select the show, it will show you a little information and your options of Play, Keep, Delete, etc. At that point, if you use the Info button, you will get a long scrolling list of more detail! (Use the Channel button to scroll up and down.)

For TiVos that don't have an Info button on the remove, use Enter to get more detail.

Quote:
The last entry is how much space is being taken up.

I don't know if that is a version 7 thing or not, but the last entry on Series-1 is "Color Mode" and the last entry for DirecTV is "Original Air Date".
Joe Smith is offline Report Bad Post Report Post