TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-19-2005, 03:31 PM   #61 (Print)
Kevin L

I'm not sure what the specs of the R15 are, but it comes down to more than just 50 hours. The R10 is TiVo based; the R15 is NDS based. For many here, they don't want anything but TiVo. For others, it doesn't matter. If you've never used TiVo before, then it will not be as big a factor, though TiVo and the R10 are proven; the R15 is not. Plus, with the R10, you can have it now.

Old 09-19-2005, 03:56 PM   #62 (Print)
Dkerr24
Lost in Grand Canyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan569
Can someone confirm this.

R10 = 70 hours
R15 = 120 hours?

50 hours seems like alot but is it worth waiting for 50 extra hours? I want to get one, but it seems like 50 hours is alot more.

Suggestions anyone?

Why wait? Buy a 250GB hard drive and install it yourself into a R10. If you're comfortable cracking open a PC case, this one is a piece of cake.

Old 09-19-2005, 04:53 PM   #63 (Print)
stchang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerr24
Why wait? Buy a 250GB hard drive and install it yourself into a R10. If you're comfortable cracking open a PC case, this one is a piece of cake.

My HDVR2 just died, so I ordered the HDTivo as a replacement for $299 - $100 rebate. For $199 you save the trouble of having to upgrade the hard drive (upgrading yourself is much cheaper).

The HDTivo outputs via s-video to standard def TV just fine.

I had to do a 2-yr commit, but I didn't have to add the HD package, so my monthly fee is the same.
stchang is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 05:02 PM   #64 (Print)
Kanyon71

Quote:

R10 = 70 hours
R15 = 120 hours?

50 hours seems like alot but is it worth waiting for 50 extra hours? I want to get one, but it seems like 50 hours is alot more.

Suggestions anyone?

From what I think I remember some of the people here saying part of that larger drive is reserved for use by some of the new D* features and such. Even with that though the useable space is still larger then the R10. We know you can upgrade the drive in the R10 and if this new box is anything like the current NDS boxes over in the UK then the R15 can take a new drive also and from what someone said adding a new drive is pretty much just plugging it in. Until the R15 actually shows itself all of this is merely rumors though. I for one have one of them on Pre Order, if it sucks then someone in my family gets a new gift, if it's cool then it gets to sit next to my Tivo so the way I see it, nothing lost by trying.
Kanyon71 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 07:34 PM   #65 (Print)
db54

anyone care to speculate as to whether the rebate on the R15 would still be in effect, should the unit not ship until after Nov 5, 2005? it is stated on the rebate form, that the offer is valid through Nov. 5, 2005 and must be postmarked by Jan 5, 2006.

of course, anything in regards to the R15 at this point, is pure speculation

Old 09-19-2005, 08:28 PM   #66 (Print)
Dan Collins
UltraGeek

Nominally, the R-15 will be rated at 100 hours. It is supposed to contain a 160GB drive, with 40GB set aside for "VOD" service. That leaves 120GB, of which something like 100 to 110GB is actually usable for AV storage space, which will hold around 100 hours, give or take (at current compression levels, these numbers are very conservative).

240 GB DSR-708
80 GB DSR-7000 (Slingbox attached)
(All w/MRV)

Administrator - DBSForums.com
Dan Collins is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 08:33 PM   #67 (Print)
SecureTalk

Send a message via AIM to SecureTalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly5
to anyone who has used the box (testing, etc). Does it actually require a phone line? Or can it function without one (including *no* nag screen)?

I have one on preorder, and am still curious about this. This is the make or break feature for me as I want to completely remove my land line (and yes, I know the DTiVo doesn't *need* a line )

Anyone with a R-15 is under an NDA and can not answer any questions nor can they confirm or deny any rumors.

BTW

Where did you pre-order? I can not find any place willing to allow me to pre-order.
SecureTalk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 08:38 PM   #68 (Print)
SecureTalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfreely
The stooge I spoke to Friday said the R15 was already shipping???

LOL, one of those stooges told me, they are in the stores at all BB and CC stores. Told me the price of $99.99
Old 09-19-2005, 10:39 PM   #69 (Print)
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
Quote:

R10 = 70 hours
R15 = 120 hours?

Suggestions anyone?

I just bought an SD-DVR40 for $15 and put a 250GB drive in it for $125. $140 for 220 hours. 70 and 120 are piddly little nothings... :-)

TiVo SA 240080 (347hr)
(plus many not in use)
Arcady is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-19-2005, 11:12 PM   #70 (Print)
ckelly5
Denny Crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecureTalk
Anyone with a R-15 is under an NDA and can not answer any questions nor can they confirm or deny any rumors.

BTW

Where did you pre-order? I can not find any place willing to allow me to pre-order.

value electronics had a preorder a few months back. I got in on that at the time. Dunno if he's doing it anymore or not...

ckelly5 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-20-2005, 12:21 AM   #71 (Print)
SecureTalk

I just checked valueelectronics.com. They do not have pre-order for the R-15, but you can get on a notification e-mail list for notification when it is available.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:56 AM   #72 (Print)
SecureTalk

Ok, My mistake according to this link

http://www.fsiwebs.com/shopcart3/sc...alueelectronics

[in the upper left is the prompt "Enter a word or phrase to search for in this site"

enter: R15

You can pre-order the R-15

Cost is $99.00 with a $100.00 rebate [Shipping UPS ground is FREE]

Total Cost is $0.00

Sounds fishy, so I would not put my Credit Card in for the R-15 at this point.

Last edited by SecureTalk : 09-20-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:08 AM   #73 (Print)
cmtar
Long live the R15!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecureTalk
Sounds fishy, so I would not put my Credit Card in for the R-15 at this point.

Sounds fishy how??
cmtar is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-20-2005, 07:53 AM   #74 (Print)
Hodaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly5
value electronics had a preorder a few months back. I got in on that at the time. Dunno if he's doing it anymore or not...

yeah, I got in on the preorder, but have not heard anything new.. I guess they cut it off when they figured they had all the preorders they could handle..
Hodaka is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #75 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarm
So your friend is a beta tester without a NDA?

Are Beta Testers supposed to hide stuff when friends come over? She could have no idea he is posting information about the R15. She may not even realize he knows the difference, but that she has this cool DVR thing he likes to play with.
herdfan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #76 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodaka
I guess they cut it off when they figured they had all the preorders they could handle..

Not going to touch this.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:22 AM   #77 (Print)
Hodaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by herdfan
Not going to touch this.

oh geez.. well, at least mine wasn't cut off
Old 09-20-2005, 09:42 AM   #78 (Print)
MichaelK

Not that Dan needs to be confirmed- I trust him explicitly. But in one of the AVS threads about CEDIA the people who went and tried the R15- confirmed that the season pass function did not work on all the series they tried. Seems it's not as simple as they thought.....
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-20-2005, 09:53 AM   #79 (Print)
cfarm

Quote:
Are Beta Testers supposed to hide stuff when friends come over? She could have no idea he is posting information about the R15. She may not even realize he knows the difference, but that she has this cool DVR thing he likes to play with.

A NDA participant would know that "sharing" the device with a visitor would be outside the agreement.
cfarm is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #80 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK
But in one of the AVS threads about CEDIA the people who went and tried the R15- confirmed that the season pass function did not work on all the series they tried. Seems it's not as simple as they thought.....

I'm I one of the few or many that hopes this thing(R15) crashes and burns?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:11 AM   #81 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Robert at Value Electronics, pulled the pre-order option off the website, once DirecTV announced they where delaying the release of the unit.

Until he has a new confirmed release date, he is not accepting any additional pre-orders.

As for "Crash and Burn"

I want it to either:
a) Crash and Burn and Explode
b) Or make TiVo look like a door stop.

Any where in the middle is not good for the future of DVRs on DirecTV... IMHO

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #82 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
I certainly know why you and other TiVo fans would like to see this happen, but it would really suck. There's no way they're going to go back to TiVo and say "we couldn't get it right and we're scrapping the idea and sticking with TiVo". That's just not going to happen. What will happen if it really sucks is that we'll have to put up with doing the beta testing for DirecTV and suffering with a POS unit until they work out the bugs. It's what happened (might still happen) with that other sat company and most of the cable DVRs. Since TiVo users are a small percentage of the DirecTV customer base, those getting the R15 as their first DVR won't know any better. They'll be amazed at this new technology and most will put up with the bugs while they're fixed.

There's no sense grasping at the chance that the TiVo contract with DirecTV will be renewed for new customers/DVRs. Our only hope is to be able to use our current TiVo units for as long as we want and that the future non-TiVo units will be as good or better than TiVo (which, BTW, isn't perfect, though it's the best on the market).

Old 09-20-2005, 10:16 AM   #83 (Print)
Mark W

Quote:

Well, I wouldn't mind them stumbling a bit... but the bottom line is that I want an awesome DVR regardless of whether or not it's Tivo. The new unit has some nice features that Tivo doesn't have, but I want the useability to be as good as Tivo, which I think will be very hard for them to do.

I really do not like the idea of not being able to toggle between two things live.

We have not had a signifigant feature improvement in DTivos in over 4 YEARS! If this new box moves ahead competition in the DVR market, then I hope it's a big hit. The biggest thing that I hope is that Tivo's contract with Comcast results in a DVR that has even better features. That is the only thing that's going to push D* to really make their DVRs better.
Mark W is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-20-2005, 10:20 AM   #84 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonovic
Robert at Value Electronics, pulled the pre-order option off the website, once DirecTV announced they where delaying the release of the unit.

Until he has a new confirmed release date, he is not accepting any additional pre-orders.
I don't know why Robert would do this. He had so much fun with the HR10 pre-order last year.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:21 AM   #85 (Print)
Kevin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark W
The biggest thing that I hope is that Tivo's contract with Comcast results in a DVR that has even better features. That is the only thing that's going to push D* to really make their DVRs better.
Great point!

Old 09-20-2005, 10:22 AM   #86 (Print)
Hodaka

I personally feel that the only way DVRs will get better is if there's competition. The longer someone stays top dog, the lazier they get with innovations. I hope the R15 blows anything Tivo out of the water and sets a new mark for DVR manufacturers to strive for..

I feel the same with most products..some companies have tunnel vision, and another company can come up with a great idea that they've never thought of. As a consumer, this is a good thing. Plus, competition usually means better prices.. again, something I like.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:26 AM   #87 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin L
I certainly know why you and other TiVo fans would like to see this happen, but it would really suck..... Since TiVo users are a small percentage of the DirecTV customer base, those getting the R15 as their first DVR won't know any better. They'll be amazed at this new technology and most will put up with the bugs while they're fixed.

I wouldn't call myself a TiVo fan as much as I would a Fan of TiVo features and reliability. I think Earl hit the nail on the head about the R15 being either a complete bust or a home run. If the R15 does what TiVo does and as reliably, then perhaps it will be a good thing. Signs aren't pointing that way yet.

And the TiVo base is growing every day and getting close to 20%, so its no small percentage.

Random observation: In keeping with D*'s new naming scheme, given that the sucessor to the H10 is the H20, why is the sucessor to the R10 not the R20? Does the use of "15" mean we are beta testing the R20?
Old 09-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #88 (Print)
Kevin L

As much as some people want to bash the R15 and the reports of problems, let's remember it's still in beta. TiVo's been out for years, and still has problems, even with the sacred Season Passes. Just see these recent threads:

Thread 1
Thread 2

Also, as great as some feel TiVo is, it is still lagging in some important features on the SA units, most noteably lack of dual tuners and no HiDef recording.

I'm willing to let new players shake out the bugs if it means innovation.

Old 09-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #89 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
The biggest thing that I hope is that Tivo's contract with Comcast results in a DVR that has even better features. That is the only thing that's going to push D* to really make their DVRs better.

It is what could make me leave D* after 11 years. When the TiVo contract with Comcast was announced it meant very little to me. But now that Comcast is slated to take over my area of Adelphia, I am looking forward to what they will be offering with regards to TiVo. I realize this is a year or so off, but this might be an avenue to take if the Comcast TiVo is a success.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:35 AM   #90 (Print)
herdfan

Quote:
I really do not like the idea of not being able to toggle between two things live.

We have not had a signifigant feature improvement in DTivos in over 4 YEARS!

I also like that ability/feature and would miss it.

Blame D*, not TiVo. If end-users can hack a TiVo to add MRV and other HMO options, then TiVo sure as hell could have added those features. But D* wouldn't let them.

It will be interesting to see what happens after February 2007 when the D* contract ends. I wonder what interesting software will become available on the internet. ie MRV hacks as easy as adding a drive.