Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-30-2005, 01:56 PM   #1 (Print)
WO312

Not recognizing HR10-250 upgrade

I am trying to upgrade my HR10-250 HD Tivo. I am adding a 300 GB Seagate drive to the stock WD 250 GB. Using a lba48 boot CD and Weaknees instructions (mfsadd -r 4 -x .......), everything appears to work. The computer says it added 360 hours, new capacity 600+ hours. But when I put it back in the Tivo, it only shows the normal 30 hours HD and 200 hours SD. And I can disconnect the added drive and it still boots as normal, so it doesn't appear to have married the drives. What gives??

Edit:

Update: I took out the new B drive, did a quick re-format, and did the process again. Same results, but this time I can't just remove the B drive, it won't boot up. So it seems like they are married now, but it still doesn't show the increased capacity on my Tivo. Any ideas??

Edit #2:

Background information:

The Seagate that I was adding had previously had a Tivo install on it, but I figured that by adding it to my HD Tivo that any old partition information would be overwritten, no problem.

I did have a problem when I tried to do the backup. I had both drives installed as master and slave, and my backup hard drive as secondrary slave. I wanted to backup as one step and do the add as a second step all in one shot. When I tried to to the backup, it hung on reading the source drive. So I removed the Seagate slave and successfully backed up my WD. Then I did the add.

Any chance that because the added drive had a previous install there was a problem?? All the partitions were "full" so there was nothing to add??

When I went back and did a quick reset, there were no partitions on the drive. But could I have used up my upgrade capacity and so the Tivo won't see it??

I'm confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I assume that as a last resort I could restore from my image and start all over again, but I don't want to lose my recordings unless there is no other way.

Last edited by WO312 : 09-30-2005 at 04:37 PM.
WO312 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-30-2005, 05:03 PM   #2 (Print)
sigma957

Sometimes the mfsadd does not work if the drives are on the same IDE channel. Put the drives on seperate IDE channels and repeat the process. I had the same problem when I added a 250GB drive to my HR10-250.
sigma957 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-30-2005, 09:24 PM   #3 (Print)
WO312

Wow, thanks a million. It worked like a charm. I just put them on separate channels and re-did the mfsadd command. Now I have 70 HD and 470 SD hours. Thanks again.
WO312 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-18-2005, 07:43 PM   #4 (Print)
flmgrip

thanks from me too having the drives on two different ide cables did the trick for me too
flmgrip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post