Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-13-2005, 08:19 AM   #1 (Print)
Xator

DVD Recorder (Need help with S-Video)

I have a DirecTV TiVo (R10) with one S-Video output. My TV has one S-Video input. Add a DVD Recorder to the mix and I'm sure you see where this is going... I'd like to be able to split the S-Video output from the TiVo and have one going to my TV and the other to the DVD Recorder so I can record from the S-Video output instead of Composite cables. I was looking around and found a "4-Way Distribution Amplifier" at Radio Shack that appears to be what I need. Is it? Any other comparable device out there that accomplishes that same thing at a better price? It might be a little overkill for what I need.

I can't include the URL because I don't have 5 posts yet. Searching for "4-Way A/V Distribution Amplifier" at the RadioShack website works.

Thanks in advance!
Xator is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2005, 08:40 AM   #2 (Print)
stevel
Dumb Blond

I have seen S-Video splitter cables (MonsterCable makes one). but I would suggest just using the composite cable. That's what I did and the difference is probably about the same as if you tried to split the S-Video output.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:13 AM   #3 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

I once tried a "Y" splitter for s-video and ended up with interference. You may get lucky.

I went back to using composite for my DVD recorder and am very happy with the results.
Of course, this is subjective and everyone's results will be different based on recorder make, mode used and TV.

Old 10-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #4 (Print)
JWThiers
Not So New Tivo Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSpence
I once tried a "Y" splitter for s-video and ended up with interference. You may get lucky.

I went back to using composite for my DVD recorder and am very happy with the results.
Of course, this is subjective and everyone's results will be different based on recorder make, mode used and TV.

I guess DVD recorders don't pass thru s-video (I don't have one so I don't know).
JWThiers is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2005, 09:39 AM   #5 (Print)
Xator

Some of them do. I looked into a few online, but they were missing other features that I was looking for. I'll try out the composite cables and see what the results are like with different shows. If that gives me poor results, I'll try the splitter/amplifier from Radio Shack... can always take it back if it doesn't work right.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:47 AM   #6 (Print)
DavidS

A more extravagent option is to take this opportunity to invest in an AV Receiver and speakers. The receiver will split the S-Video for you, and also deal with the problem you haven't mentioned - getting an S-Video signal from the DVD recorder to the TV. Of course, the receiver will also allow you to take advantage of the Dolby Digital sound from commercial DVDs and in those few places it is available from DTV, and provide better overall sound on normal audio, as well. Just a thought.
DavidS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2005, 11:18 AM   #7 (Print)
Squonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xator
I have a DirecTV TiVo (R10) with one S-Video output. My TV has one S-Video input. Add a DVD Recorder to the mix and I'm sure you see where this is going... I'd like to be able to split the S-Video output from the TiVo and have one going to my TV and the other to the DVD Recorder so I can record from the S-Video output instead of Composite cables. I was looking around and found a "4-Way Distribution Amplifier" at Radio Shack that appears to be what I need. Is it? Any other comparable device out there that accomplishes that same thing at a better price? It might be a little overkill for what I need.

I can't include the URL because I don't have 5 posts yet. Searching for "4-Way A/V Distribution Amplifier" at the RadioShack website works.

Thanks in advance!

Why don't you go S video from Directivo to DVD recorder, then S video out of the DVD recorder to the TV?

That means you have to watch TV through the DVD recorder, and thus you need to keep the DVD recorder on, but that is better than splitting signals IMO.

As suggested, you could take the composite out from the Directivo direct to the TV for those situations where you are recording something but want to watch something else on TV.

I would record using the S video connection for optimal picture quality. What kind of recorder do you have?
Squonk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2005, 11:36 AM   #8 (Print)
ipfreely

Buy an S-Video D/A, also known as an Y/C Distribution amp.

DVD-9000 reference DVD-Audio/Video
Sony MSW-M2000P MPEG IMX Studio VTR
ipfreely is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2005, 12:40 PM   #9 (Print)
Xator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipfreely
Buy an S-Video D/A, also known as an Y/C Distribution amp.

It appears that's what they're selling at Radio Shack. Might be wrong.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:52 PM   #10 (Print)
Canaima
TBird

[QUOTE=Squonk]Why don't you go S video from Directivo to DVD recorder, then S video out of the DVD recorder to the TV?QUOTE]
Read this previous thread so that you're aware of unforseen problems that may crop up using this method, depending, of course, on your unit.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=265240

Last edited by Canaima : 10-13-2005 at 12:53 PM. Reason: (Adding Link)
Canaima is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2005, 02:38 PM   #11 (Print)
Squonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaima
[QUOTE=Squonk]Why don't you go S video from Directivo to DVD recorder, then S video out of the DVD recorder to the TV?QUOTE]
Read this previous thread so that you're aware of unforseen problems that may crop up using this method, depending, of course, on your unit.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...ad.php?t=265240

??? That user had a bad s video connection. I have S video out from Directivo to recorder and then out from recorder to TV and have never had a problem with it. That's how you are supposed to hook it up. See the DVD recorder manual. The only alternative connection would be to run component out from the recorder to the TV if you have component ins on the TV.
Squonk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2005, 02:51 PM   #12 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Actually, there is still a delay when you pass through the DVD recorder. See my reply in that thread. The s-video cable had nothing to do with the slow response time.

BTW, my Philips DVDR985 DVD recorder does allow video pass through when it it turned off.
The manual didn't mention it, I just discovered it while playing with various I/O connection schemes.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:56 PM   #13 (Print)
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
My samsung DVD recorder connected to my Dtivo was causing lipsync issues. The s-video to component upconversion was wonderful, but the audio sync problem was awful.

TiVo SA 240080 (347hr)
(plus many not in use)
Arcady is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2005, 08:10 AM   #14 (Print)
microjcz

I had the same problem with an older TV with 1 svideo. I purchased a switch box (about $20) which could handle 4 S Video inputs. It works great. Just run the DVD recorder and DVD independently to the swich box. This will fix the sync problems and not cause a delay.
microjcz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #15 (Print)
moxie1617

I use a $30 4 in /2 out switch from Radio Shack.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...%5Fid=15%2D1985
If you have multiple sources and want to spend more, they have an IR learning version for $70.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.a...%5Fid=15%2D1927
moxie1617 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-14-2005, 04:12 PM   #16 (Print)
chris_h

I had a similar situation when I got my dvd recorder a few years back. I ended up with the R/S 15-1977 A/V selector (4 guzintas , 2 guzoutas, learns IR, cost $50 then). I wanted to be able to record from 4 different sources at the time (HDTV downconverted, LD, SVHS, and sd-tivo). I tried several more expensive solutions, including the 6x2 "gold series" or something like that from R/S. The more expensive ones cause my Hitachi RPTV video issues with little black squigly lines, but the cheaper one listed above was just fine.

Another advantage I have used this for is to fix lip-sync issues by listening to the (2 to 2.5 frames) delayed audio from the DVD-R and the video of some other source. Obviously, this need is rare.

Old 10-14-2005, 09:20 PM   #17 (Print)
Xator

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm off to a few places tomorrow to browse around.