TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-17-2005, 05:47 PM   #1 (Print)
battleace

Wee need this now!! Tivo will loose to cable companies if it does not happen soon

What is the hold up with the ability to push or stream a video to your TIVO. Everyone knows that this is what will make or break the Tivo . We need this but for some reason Tivo Corp is holding this from us. I do not think that Tivo should concern itself with P2P networking issues like Napter had to deal with. Do computer makers who sell dvd burners embedded in their machines worry? We need this!
battleace is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-17-2005, 05:54 PM   #2 (Print)
battleace

I forgot to mention that Tivo like features will most likely be added to the new PS3 and Xbox360 if it is not already in there. If MS will allow us to use C# to write PVR apps for the 360, then I am there! Loosing developer support will be the end of Tivo. Tivo could become the Google of media sharing via the web but time is of the essence.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:38 AM   #3 (Print)
NoCleverUsername

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleace
What is the hold up with the ability to push or stream a video to your TIVO. Everyone knows that this is what will make or break the Tivo . We need this but for some reason Tivo Corp is holding this from us. I do not think that Tivo should concern itself with P2P networking issues like Napter had to deal with. Do computer makers who sell dvd burners embedded in their machines worry? We need this!
Transferring Personal Video from PC to TiVo DVR
NoCleverUsername is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 10:55 AM   #4 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

The TiVo itself, and the network infrastructure is mostly there and working.

The issues are mostly buisness/legal:

A: Getting the rights to make content available.

B: Creating a mechanism to control access to paying customers (or to accept payments to purchase content), or to stick advertising with the program.

TiVo does need to deal with P2P filesharing issues if they wish to stay in business.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 01:13 PM   #5 (Print)
battleace

That is not true. Tivo has proven that they have a product that has a legitimate business purpose.
I have personal data that I would like to be able to stream to my Tivo. Example: digital home video for a family party. There is also a lot of free digital content that I would like to have access to. (Eg. ninjai dot c0m) Nice to see Ninjai on TV.
Also, the technology is there. All I need to do is push the content from the network to the Tivo hardrive and that is it! They will be their own undoing. I like Tivo but if the cable company gives me the flexiblity I want, such as custom applications etc. I will be an ex-Tivo customer. The power of the Internet is the ability to provide yourself with on-demand content of any nature. The future should be:
Example: Go to web site, get free content or buy subscription content and push it to my Tivo automatically. That is the missing element. I can get on-demand from cable companies now but what we want is the ability to push our own free content that we find on the web to ourselves.
You say they will be out of business if they do not address P2P.
They are already loosing ground and will be out of buiness like Netscape soon.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:30 PM   #6 (Print)
JYoung

classicsat is right.
See the link that NoCleverusername posted.

Also see:
http://research.tivo.com/redtrousers/

It's coming...

"I aim to misbehave"

Party in Vegas, see my photos
JYoung is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-18-2005, 09:23 PM   #7 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
Quote:
Originally Posted by battleace
I have personal data that I would like to be able to stream to my Tivo. Example: digital home video for a family party. There is also a lot of free digital content that I would like to have access to.
Fine. You're asking for a feature THAT IS ALREADY THERE. See the link posted above. Since 7.2 you can publish content TO the TiVo. You just have to make sure it is in the right format.

Quote:
Also, the technology is there. All I need to do is push the content from the network to the Tivo hardrive and that is it!
Right, it is already there.

Quote:
They will be their own undoing. I like Tivo but if the cable company gives me the flexiblity I want, such as custom applications etc. I will be an ex-Tivo customer.
That's nice, whatever... Look, MOST of TiVo's userbase has absolutely NO interest in this. You've missed what they're target market is. They sell primarily to the middle america types who aren't geeks, don't do a lot of media on their PCs, and are looking for a powerful way to record and watch TV. The folks who will make use of the Yahoo features, and maybe will want to copy content to the PC to sync with their portable media player. Sure, eventually more of that demographic will be playing with Internet media, but not now. And the cable companies are the *last* people who are likely to allow you to grab content from outside their networks.

Quote:
The power of the Internet is the ability to provide yourself with on-demand content of any nature.
Most of the content I like is not available on the net - at least not legally, and some of us care about ethics.

Quote:
Example: Go to web site, get free content or buy subscription content and push it to my Tivo automatically. That is the missing element.
No, it isn't missing. TiVo's accept broadband content already, have for a while. There just aren't providers out there right now. TiVo has already done tests with the download of content - IFC special content, Navy Football, now CNet content and the Red Trousers movie offer. The technology is already in place, the problem isn't the technology - it is the business side. Sites have to want to provide content in a format TiVo can use, etc. Those issues will be resolved in time.

Quote:
I can get on-demand from cable companies now but what we want is the ability to push our own free content that we find on the web to ourselves.
Great - you can do that now, again, see the link that was posted.

Quote:
You say they will be out of business if they do not address P2P.
They are already loosing ground and will be out of buiness like Netscape soon.
Just who are they losing ground to? What product are you talking about?

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-20-2005, 08:57 PM   #8 (Print)
Shawn95GT
4DTV Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCleverUsername

What he said.

We CAN do this now. I'm using a 1.2TB RAID 5 array as a Tivo repository .

Old 11-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #9 (Print)
megazone
Hardcore TiVo Geek

Send a message via ICQ to megazone Send a message via AIM to megazone Send a message via Yahoo to megazone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn95GT
We CAN do this now. I'm using a 1.2TB RAID 5 array as a Tivo repository .

NICE!

megazone is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-27-2005, 02:24 PM   #10 (Print)
HotStuff2

I don't see this as a need, personally. I have a modded Xbox, with a Seagate 400gb HDD, and running Xbox Media Center (XBMC) as the dashboard. I store movies/TV shows/etc. on my file server, and stream them acorss the network using SMB shares (native to XBMC.) My Xbox connects using the Microsoft HD connector, so I can watch almost HD-content on my 50" plasma HDTV. No need to tie up the TiVo, or the space on the TiVo. Microsoft may not like modded Xbox's, but from a media player standpoint, a modded Xbox is cheap and VERY effective. Probably the best thing I've ever done

edit: I read the link NoCleverUserName posted, and it says you have to have:

"TiVo Desktop 2.2 or later installed on Windows PCs from which you want to transfer video.
Video files prepared in MPEG-2 conforming to the specs outlined below."

My modded Xbox plays AVI (XViD, DivX, etc.), MPG (2, 4, et. al), QuickTime (QT), .MOV, RealPlayer, and every other format I throw at it. I'll stick with the modded Xbox over TiVo, to play files I download.
HotStuff2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 12:12 PM   #11 (Print)
battleace

Yes Hotstuff, I resently seen this in action.

MegaZone is concerned with ethics. I am also but having the ability to do something in a legal way is all that is needed. You do not need to be concerned with how someone intends to use something illlegally. leave that up to the FBI. You may as well sue the dvd manufacturers for all the illegal movies circulating around.

You say that this is for nongeeks. I agree, but it is the geeks that will help to bring Tivo to a state beyond where even Tivo executives ever imagined. This is why they released the SDK; for this very purpose. Techies understand this. You may continue to tinker with your toy but we techies see the big picture.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:27 PM   #12 (Print)
battleace

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotStuff2
I don't see this as a need, personally. I have a modded Xbox, with a Seagate 400gb HDD, and running Xbox Media Center (XBMC) as the dashboard. I store movies/TV shows/etc. on my file server, and stream them acorss the network using SMB shares (native to XBMC.) My Xbox connects using the Microsoft HD connector, so I can watch almost HD-content on my 50" plasma HDTV. No need to tie up the TiVo, or the space on the TiVo. Microsoft may not like modded Xbox's, but from a media player standpoint, a modded Xbox is cheap and VERY effective. Probably the best thing I've ever done

edit: I read the link NoCleverUserName posted, and it says you have to have:

"TiVo Desktop 2.2 or later installed on Windows PCs from which you want to transfer video.
Video files prepared in MPEG-2 conforming to the specs outlined below."

My modded Xbox plays AVI (XViD, DivX, etc.), MPG (2, 4, et. al), QuickTime (QT), .MOV, RealPlayer, and every other format I throw at it. I'll stick with the modded Xbox over TiVo, to play files I download.

As I consider this Hotstuff, I find this to be very appealing. Especially the divx ability. I've seen hugh storage on these xboxes with all types of digital data.
The reason I bought a Tivo was the cost of building my own PVR but apparently, the Xbox can do this just fine without any subscription requirements. Do you know if anyone is writing applications for Xbox?

Disregard, I see the media center. I'm Sold! Just what I wanted!

Last edited by battleace : 11-29-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:39 PM   #13 (Print)
SullyND
MMM... Bacon

Where are all the noobs with avatars that violate forum rules coming from? (Avatars are required to be photos)
SullyND is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-29-2005, 05:30 PM   #14 (Print)
battleace

I did not know that. I will just remove it .
I guess you are the self appointed tivo police.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:34 PM   #15 (Print)
battleace

I recommend that you remove yours also! IKE!