Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #1 (Print)
bmeyer1968

HDR212 modem issue/upgrade question

I am a newbie here and to Tivo, so please forgive me if this has been asked and answered or if this is off-topic.

I just bought a HDR212 20Hr unit from ebay. Everything seems fine with it, but it won't dial up for the initial setup, so 1) I can't use it right now, and 2) most upgrades I was planning on doing (network card...possibly cache card and 1 or 2 new drives) seem dependant on me knowing the software verison, which I cannot find out being stuck in setup. I know they have a modem replacement, and I have a serial modem to try on hand, but again it appears that I have to have 3.0 to make it work and I don't know what is on the unit. I have a handful of questions that I have a handful of answers to (through web searches), but I'd like to get some definitive answers before dumping more money into this unit.

A) Assuming I do have 3.0, how can I use my serial modem(I have the serial cable refered to on Weaknees) to dial up...that would get me through setup limbo at least.

B) If I bought the net card, but don't have version 3.0 software, can I use a backup of another 212 unit that has 3.0. If so, does anyone know where I can get a 212 backup image, or does the net card come with one I can use?

C) If I put in a net card, and do have 3.0, can the net card be used to go through the initial setup or do I have to be past that point before I can enable/use the card?

D) Assuming all answers above are NO, do I have any other recourse to fix this thing (other than spending 60+ dollars on new parts that may or may not fix the issue).

Thanks for any and all info you can share.

Bill
bmeyer1968 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-10-2005, 06:44 PM   #2 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

1: Look at the External Modem Success thread in the underground.

2: Yes, you can use a backup form another unit. You can get an image from Instancake, or an pm stansimmons . You can get drivers and that that work with <3.0, I'm sure.

3:Yes, you can do GS over the net card with 3.0

4: The answers are esentially yes

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 12:15 AM   #3 (Print)
bmeyer1968

Thumbs up Works great!

I just finished everything to get my external modem up and running. Thanks for the direction to the thread!

Just a side question on this unit. I plan on using the unit as a VCR for now, no TIVO services. I know that the channel info will always display the 'you don't have tivo service, and should get it' message when I watch TV, but is there any reason for me to ever connect again other than to download a new software ver or if my channel lineup changes with Comcast? If not connected for a certain amount of time, do bad things happen?

Thanks,
Bill
bmeyer1968 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post