Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-14-2005, 12:12 AM   #1 (Print)
smithcferg

Decompression error on restore

I am upgrading original 40 gig in s2 to 120 western digital drive.

I have made many backups and have been unable to successfully restore, except
I made eight backups, using compression levels -7 through to no compression. Almost all of the time the restores failed with "decompression error .x%" Once a compressed backup was successful, but it failed when put into the Tivo (wouldn't go past the grayscale "powering up" screen.) When I tried to re-restore that same backup, it failed with a decompression error.

The noncompressed backup came up with this error message upon completion:
mfs_read_inode: Inode 64930 corrupt, trying backup. I don't know yet if this is a fatal error.

This is the current mfstools2 boot cd that I am using, downloaded from Tyger's site.

The computer I am using is an Athlon 1.3 xp.

I came across a thread from this site that is now archived (6/2004) where Tyger was getting feedback from people who were complaining about getting constant decompression errors.

Does anyone know what is up, what to look for, workarounds, etc.

I am getting really tired of trying to make a working backup. I have spent all day on it!

Thanks to all for your help.

Smithcferg

P.S. I know the one thing I have not done is check the drives out to see if they are bad. That is next on my list.
smithcferg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #2 (Print)
smithcferg

Well, just wanted to let people know where this was goinog, and ask for input.

I have check the drives, they pass the five minute test from western digital diagnostics.

I also found out that when I try mfsrestoring an uncompressed backup multiple times that often I get different mfs_read_inode errors. Is this normal? I would expect the same errors each time.

I tried running the mfsbackup -Tao |mfsrestore -s 127 -xpzi command, which worked.

But when I tried the newly copied drive in the Tivo, again it failed to boot (though this time it did make it up to the "Almost there. Just a few more minutes" screen.
I double checked my original drive in the Tivo, it works fine. I have not tried using dd to avoid mfsbackup/restore commands altogether. First I will try a different upgrade hard drive, a 160 Gig I have lying around somewhere.

Anybody got any other helpful ideas?

SIncerely,
smithcferg
Old 12-15-2005, 05:36 PM   #3 (Print)
smithcferg

Ideas anybody?

Could really use an expert's help!

Thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 08:20 PM   #4 (Print)
HomeUser

Quote:
I tried running the mfsbackup -Tao |mfsrestore -s 127 -xpzi command, which worked.
Your command is missing a couple of '-'
if your drives are installed Original TiVo drive primary master and the new drive is secondary master
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -xpzi - /dev/hdc

for the backup compression problem I don't think 7 is valid. what are the other backup command options you are using? There could be memory or hard-ware problems with the PC.
HomeUser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #5 (Print)
smithcferg

Thanks for your input, HomeUser

I did use a command like yours for the piped backup/restore copy:
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdb | mfsrestore -s 127 -xpzi - /dev/hde

I used standard commands for backups too:
mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hda2 (hda2 was a fat32 partition with plenty of room) /mnt/dos
mfsbackup -f9999 [-n] (depending on compression level I tried, and I tried none, -1, -2, -3, -4, -5, -6, -7) -so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdb
umount -f -a -r
ctl+alt+del

and for restore:

mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hda2

either
mfsrestore -xpzi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hde

or
mfsrestore -pzi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hde
mfsadd -x /dev/hde

or

mfsrestore -bpzi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hde
mfsadd -x /dev/hde

or
mfsrestore -i /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hde
mfsadd -x /dev/hde

I also slowed memory speed way down just in case. And I wasn't using byte swapping, but did have DMA enabled.

The motherboard is a KK266R by IWIll, with 764 mb memory and Athlon xp 1.3 gighz cpu.

I didn't run into any problems actually executing commands as detailed in Hindsdale's how to. I have typed the dumb things over so many times that I have got them pretty well memorized.

It did seem problematic that I could restore from an uncompressed backup multiple times and get different mfs_read_inode errors each time.

I ran across this in a post:
An interesting note I received from someone:
"It turns out that when I went to my Parents house over the weekend to set up their Tivo and I was using one of his Pentium III machines to do the setup mfsrestore command failed to do a Decompression Error around 42%. I was a bit perplexed since I was using the same disks that I had used for the other two. I then went to a AMD 2.3 machine that he happened to have there and I got the same message. At this point I tried to run a diagnostic on the hard drive to see if it had a corrupt cluster and it came back in good condition.
I searched the newsgroups and found that someone believes there is a issue with some motherboards and the decompression routine. So finally we went to a Pentium Dell machine and it worked fine."

Also ran across this archived thread with input from Tyger that talks about a possible decompression problem, and I was wondering if it was ever resolved?
http://archive.tivocommunity.com/ti...c/170647-1.html However, this doesn't make sense as I am getting problems with straight non-compressed restores also.

Usually I have been running one hard drive off of a raid controller. The boot cd doesn't complain about it, and the sizes for the hard drives are correct, but I will try a piped backup/restore copy using just the regular ide. Who knows, maybe it will work. Hope springs eternal!

I had another hard drive around somewhere that I wanted to try instead of this 120 gig, but right now I can't find it.

Continued thanks for your input.

Sincerely,

Smithcferg
Old 12-16-2005, 04:43 PM   #6 (Print)
smithcferg

Thumbs up the smell of victory and odors from the battle

I did try the regular (non-raid) ide connections of the Iwill KK266R motherboard, and the copy completed successfully when trying a piped mfsbackup/restore copy, and as usual the Tivo didn't boot up right. (continual reboot on the power up screen)

So I took this same 120 gig hard drive to another computer with the soyo kt400 Dragon Platinum motherboard. Previously I had tried doing restores from this computer and they had failed using the onboard raid connector. This time I did a piped mfsbackup/restore copy (with same parameters as last attempt) using only the normal (non-raid) connectors, which completed successfully. This time, when installed in the Tivo, it started right up normally!!!

My current (tentative) conclusions:

The mfsrestore process (not piped mfsbackup|mfsrestore copy) can fail when using the onboard raid connector to restore from a saved backup on the Soyo kt400 Dragon Platinum. Every time it hung at around 20%.

A piped mfsbackup|restore copy can be successfully completed using the Soyo kt400 Dragon Platinum motherboard when the non-raid ide connectors are used.

There could be an issue with the Iwill kk266r raid motherboard and mfsbackup. I was using a 1.3 athlon xp and 768 mb of memory.
I tried both standard backup/restore and piped backup|restore copy combinations on both normal and raid ide connections - with compressed and uncompressed backups. Either the decompression would fail, or there would be mfs_read_inode errors (in the case of uncompressed backups), or there would be no errors in the case of the piped mfsbackup|mfsrestore copies, but the drive wouldn't work anyway.

My last conclusion is that it would be a good idea to start a thread where likely problematic motherboards,raid connectors, & etc. would be listed to help the developers improve their product and to help the poor sots out who may be struggling with problematic configurations. Of course, maybe this already exists?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyway, I am a happy camper, although I camped for 2 1/2 days longer than I wanted to!!

Take care all -

smithcferg
Old 12-16-2005, 06:05 PM   #7 (Print)
HomeUser

I am not sure if a DMA problem is with MFSTools or the stripped down version of Linux on the boot CD not supporting the hardware in advanced mode.

Have any experience with 'C' ?
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mfstools/

Thanks for the feedback.
HomeUser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post