I have two Series-2 Hughes DirecTivos (DVR-40s) that I am planning on running the Hinsdale upgrade on (replacing one of the hard drives with a 160GB drive and putting the old drive from that one as a second drive into the second unit). They are currently running software version 6.2. However, I don't know if I should do it yet. I had Directv service on both of the receivers up until Jan of this year when I lost my job. Since then I have been using the Tivo functionality (playing all of my kids shows that were recorded on the Tivo) but they have not been hooked up to the satellite. I have a new job now and will be moving to Indiana, where I have Directv scheduled to come out and install the satellite dish and rehook up my two DirecTivos. Should I wait to do the upgrade until they hook everything up, or can I just do it now? I'm assuming that both of the units will upgrade to new software versions after I hook them up and I am not sure whether doing the upgrade now will screw that up or will not enable me to receive some of the benefits from the new software. I have more time now, but I don't want to screw anything up with the reconnecting of service.
Sorry for the convoluted question and thanks in advance for your help.