Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-16-2005, 11:20 AM   #1 (Print)
shonsu

TiVo Drive Clone

OK, I know this has been asked -- but I'll ask it again. I am looking to upgrade my 80hr Series 2 and was wondering if I could use a drive cloning tool to dupe the drive and expand it? I do have a tool that supports Linux EXT2/EXT3 and ReiserFS and will expand partitions (it's a really great cloning tool). I've never used it with Linux, but I have used it with all versions of Windows with no issues. It boots itself and runs pretty quick. The question I have, and no one seems to have every answered this -- is what "flavor" of Linux is running on a TiVo?

Also, I'm looking at going to a 250gb - 350gb hard drive. And suggestions on brands (noise/heat issues) and what kinds of record times will I most likely get? I remember seeing some type of formula for calculating record times, but I can't seem to find that post.

Thanks for all the great responses to this that I know I'll get............

shonsu is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 11:43 AM   #2 (Print)
HomeUser

Some of the TiVo partition are modified Apple partitions so your tool probably will not work you need to use mfstools2 to add additional space. The Linux TiVo is running on is a modified version the source and more information is available at tivo.com

There are many different opinions on drives for the TiVo currently I prefer the Seagate drive. the drive selection depends on your personal preference just make sure it is a PATA (EIDE) drive the TiVo does not have a SATA interface and stay away from Maxtor Diamond Max 10 drives search this forum.
HomeUser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-16-2005, 03:33 PM   #3 (Print)
shonsu

I've spent the afternoon doing test clones of Fedora core in a VMWare environment with this tool -- only to realize that it messes with the boot sector partition too much and you end up having to go back and run some command line cleanup to get things bootable again. It will expand everything, but why not do it all in one clean swoop (i.e. with MFSTools?) and be done with it.

Thanks for the info on the SATA drives -- I didn't realize that at all. Right now they are cheaper than the ATA/100 drives. That would have been a disaster in the end!

Old 12-16-2005, 03:47 PM   #4 (Print)
HomeUser

Did you know that the source for MFSTools is available? http://sourceforge.net/projects/mfstools/
HomeUser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-17-2005, 06:57 PM   #5 (Print)
shonsu

The upgrade is done!

Well, the upgrade is done! I had to do it twice (a bug in MFSTools and swap files -- found it later. Be sure to do your research and stick with 127). When all was said and done, I'm thrilled with the results! I went from about 81 hours max for my recording time to 330 hours -- a nice improvement. And it only cost about $179 for the Seagate drive (5yr Warranty on the drive) at CompUSA. Here's the results of the recording characteristics I now have (before and after:

..................--Before--..........--After--
Best...........23hrs 32min.........94hrs 00min
High...........37hrs 30min........150hrs 41min
Medium.......49hrs 18min........196hrs 33min
Basic..........81hrs 48min........330hrs 26min

So, now I don't have to be deleting anything anytime soon! The SeaQuest marathon on SciFi can be recorded 100% Woo Hoo!

Merry Christmas Everyone!