Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2003, 08:26 PM   #1 (Print)
Michael_in_MD

Arrow TiVolution Magazine - Not User Friendly Bug Found

TiVolution Magazine is more annoying then it is useful. What I mean is that many programs that I select to record come up with no upcoming showings or this program is on a channel you haven't selected under "channels you receive"..." This is totally unsat! If there are no upcoming shows or if it is on a channel that I do not receive then do me a favor...do not display the show in the magazine.
Michael_in_MD is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-13-2003, 09:39 PM   #2 (Print)
BrettStah

I wish it would always tell you what channel(s) the program comes on. Sometimes something may be intriguing enough to possibly order the channel.

It's all fun and games, until someone loses an eye.
BrettStah is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2003, 12:35 AM   #3 (Print)
murgatroyd

Brett, I agree completely.

Once upon a time when my cable company was Bay Cablevision (before Comcast ate AT&T Broadband who ate TCI who ate Bay Cablevision)....

... they used to ask us which channels we watched and which ones we'd like to add. I always used to wonder, how were we supposed to know which channels we wanted to add if we had NEVER SEEN THEM.

Now we have ads for other cable channels on the channels we do get, preview channels, etc. so it's easier to find out what channels exist elsewhere. But even so, I agree, how do you know you want to get that premium channel if you can't see the schedule for it? The info would be useful.

Jan

Old 01-14-2003, 01:53 AM   #4 (Print)
avaloncourt
Unemployed

There was once a channel on Armstrong Cable in the Pittsburgh area which showed the back of their building with a dumpster next to the back door. Apparently they had numerous break-ins and this was their way of keeping an eye on the entry being used. Locally it just became known as "the dumpster channe."
avaloncourt is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2003, 05:41 AM   #5 (Print)
adnyla

Send a message via Yahoo to adnyla
Quote:
Originally posted by avaloncourt
There was once a channel on Armstrong Cable in the Pittsburgh area which showed the back of their building with a dumpster next to the back door. Apparently they had numerous break-ins and this was their way of keeping an eye on the entry being used. Locally it just became known as "the dumpster channe."

For a long time the previous owners of our cable company (Rogers Cable [Yes, the same ones as Hawaii and much of Canada] in Wasilla, AK - now GCI) didn't want to have to drive into the office to check some meter. So they put it on a camera and broadcast it 24 hours a day. I'm not enough of an electronics person to know what it was, but I did think it was kind of amusing that it was there.

Andy in Alaska
60 Hour Series II
adnyla is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2003, 09:04 AM   #6 (Print)
Commentor

I strongly agree, TiVolution Magazine is not user friendly. I rarely use TiVolution Magazine for that very reason...too many items show up that are not recordable. Seeing the channel number would alleviate some of the annoyances, but if it isn't recordable then I would suggest to do just as the originator proposed...delete the show from the magazine.

There are more appropriate places to list shows on channels that Brett suggest that you do not receive...it is called the showcase section...in there I can see what I am missing on Showtime and TMC channels that I do not receive. Perhaps other channels that I do not receive could be added to the showcase section under the premium channels.
Commentor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-14-2003, 09:11 AM   #7 (Print)
BrettStah

For DirecTivos, TiVolution Magazine is actually contained inside of Showcases.

Old 01-14-2003, 12:30 PM   #8 (Print)
murgatroyd

I'd rather have the show in the magazine with full time and channel info, so I could see at a glance that it was either 1) a channel I didn't receive or 2) the timeslot had gone by.

If they provided the ability to filter, I'd rather have it be something that could be turned on/off by the user. That way those of you who don't want to see it could turn it off, and those of us who are curious (and might want to call friends outside the area to grab something for us) could still see the info.

Also, if all the data is visible, you might see that a show was coming up on a channel you are supposed to be receiving, but see the warning that it's on a channel you don't receive, and thus get an alert that something has gone awry in your Channels you Receive settings.

Jan

Old 01-16-2003, 08:26 AM   #9 (Print)
Commentor

Quote:
Originally posted by BrettStah
For DirecTivos, TiVolution Magazine is actually contained inside of Showcases.

I have a Series 2 Standalone. I was not aware the software was so different between the two. Anyway, the Showcase section at least groups shows by channel, where as TiVolution Magazine does not. From time to time I look at channels listed in the Showtime Section for channels that I do not receive to see what I could get if I payed for that channel. TiVolution Magazine should only list things I actually get IMO because it groups shows differently.
Commentor is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-16-2003, 08:31 AM   #10 (Print)
BrettStah

Commentor, I definitely see your point. However, some folks probably have signed up for premium channels because they've seen something listed there and really wanted to see it. And DirecTV customers (not just those with DirecTivos) can easily enable/disable premium channels for a short period of time, and the charges are pro-rated on a 24 hour basis (so HBO may cost 40 cents a day, for example). I've enabled channels for just a day or two in order to record something specific. Some cable companies may let you do the same thing.

Also, even if you decide not to get a premium channel for one particular item, seeing it listed may prompt you to want to create a wishlist for that item, in case it does come on a channel that you receive.

They could and should do a better job in identifying things on channels you don't receive though...

Old 01-16-2003, 05:54 PM   #11 (Print)
Doh

This has long bugged me as well, and I very rarely look at Tivolution Magazine anymore (I also found that it sometimes is underinclusive-- e.g. on "Classic movies"). My alternative is just to browse alphabetically under "pick programs to record" (e.g., for movies) which only shows programs you get.
Doh is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2005, 07:56 PM   #12 (Print)
kayakertim

Yes, it is annoying

I agree.... it is very annoying. If they could even change it to just show programs that are still available for recording. Too often the program has expired. By the way, does anyone know how often the Tivolution Magazine is updated?
kayakertim is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2005, 04:09 PM   #13 (Print)
MighTiVo
TiVotarian

Re: Yes, it is annoying

Quote:
Originally posted by kayakertim
I agree.... it is very annoying. If they could even change it to just show programs that are still available for recording. Too often the program has expired. By the way, does anyone know how often the Tivolution Magazine is updated?

I have often suggested/requested that all advertising go into the Showcase/Magazine instead of the main menu with appropiate icons being placed on the menu for new ads/content etc.
I also agree that individual items should expire instead of waiting for the next mag to be publshed.

I suspect TiVo doens't spend a lot of time on this because not many people use it. I don't think many people use it because it is of little value because of how little effort is put into makeing it work well.
MighTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post