TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-08-2004, 11:17 AM   #421 (Print)
LJ

Picked up the card from the Post Office on Friday. TiVo had decided /var was corrupt and reinitialised it! Hacks now reloaded and cachecard running nicely with 512MB.

Old 05-10-2004, 02:09 AM   #422 (Print)
jeremy Parsons
Very Advanced Member

Can anyone reccomend where in the UK I can get a cheap 512 stick for my cachecards or is ordering it from the us the cheapest option?

jeremy Parsons is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-10-2004, 05:53 AM   #423 (Print)
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

I got mine from a 'buy it now!' ebay auction which actually came from the US. Cost £41 inc del. and arrived after a few days all working perfectly.

Just make sure its not the incompatible kind as stated on the silicon dust forum.

Old 05-10-2004, 06:14 AM   #424 (Print)
B33K34
ENABLED!

mine's now been swapped out

Old 05-10-2004, 06:36 AM   #425 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

Just a plug for my other thread specifically discussing cachecard memory prices :-
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=170517

blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-14-2004, 04:59 PM   #426 (Print)
AdyJ

To follow up on my earlier posting, I now have got the updated cachecard. Email notification arrived last week, I posted the cachecard by special delivery to Dave Healey on Monday and received it back on Wednesday. Many thanks to Dave for providing UK tivoers with a decent turn-around.

If anyone is still expecting a notification email from 9th Tee but hasn't received one yet, they say they have now sent everyone a notification (see this thread on the 9th Tee forums) so get in touch with them.

Old 05-16-2004, 07:10 AM   #427 (Print)
mbriody

Updated Driver

I received an email last night from jafa at Silicon Dust about a new driver being available but I have not been able to get on to the forums since then. The site appears to be down.

Anyone else having any luck?

TiVo #1: UK S1 SA 2.5.5, 120Gb + Sky (subscribed) + CacheCard (0Mb RAM)
TiVo #2: UK S1 SA 2.5.5, 120Gb + Sky (FTA) + TurboNet
mbriody is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2004, 07:18 AM   #428 (Print)
bobnick
Advanced Member

Working fine here; the driver is just a beta and I guess you can wait unless you were desperate for fine grained semaphores.

Quote:
This release introduced fine grained semaphores to prevent long locks. Possible symptoms this should fix:
- Channel changing on a SA not 100% reliable.
- Occasional Error 51 errors on DTivos.
- Slight pause in video on rare occasions.
bobnick is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2004, 09:39 AM   #429 (Print)
Verne

Driver Install Problems

Got my 2.2 cachecard recently and finally got around to installing it today. I am having a problem installing the drivers. I printed off the instructions from silicondust and after making a backup attempted the install. When I try and run nic_install I get an error which says that no TiVo drive was detected. I could not get the nic_install CD to boot so I used an mfstools 2.0 one instead. I had my CD connected as primary master and my TiVo A drive as secondary master. I have an upgraded two drive TiVo. Could I have connected the wrong drive? I did not change any jumper settings and when I did the backup I had the same drive connected as secondary master and backup worked fine.

Not sure what went wrong with the nic_install CD. I burnt it as an ISO image like it said in the instructions. I remember reading somewhere about byte swapping but I'm not sure if this is what's causing my problem?
Verne is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2004, 05:13 AM   #430 (Print)
Verne

Problem solved, it was the CD.
Verne is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-18-2004, 05:54 PM   #431 (Print)
mbriody

If anyone is interested I have a 512Mb cachecard-tested SDRAM for sale. Please send a PM for details.

TiVo #1: UK S1 SA 2.5.5, 120Gb + Sky (subscribed) + CacheCard (0Mb RAM)
TiVo #2: UK S1 SA 2.5.5, 120Gb + Sky (FTA) + TurboNet
mbriody is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 06-30-2004, 04:11 PM   #432 (Print)
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

After having the cachecard working with memory for a couple of months i just wanted to know of other peoples experiences..

When the cachecard came out I had the impression that by loading the entire database into memory it would be pretty much fast at everything. However, when i do have to watch live TV (when my girlfriend comes to stay!) or if i just want to check the guide data through the live TV interface it seems really slow (maybe slower than before but i haven't checked). Is this the same for everyone? or maybe its just us UK tivo users who have this problem because of guide data differences?

Other than that everything else seems to run fine. Never loss of sound/video, no delay when entering now showing or when deleting..

Altogether a happy bunny, but just out of interest was wandering about how fast the guide is on live TV for everyone else..

Cheers,

Shane.

Old 07-01-2004, 04:48 AM   #433 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Fast as when first installed for me.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
sanderton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-01-2004, 07:01 AM   #434 (Print)
shanew
UK TiVo Tweaker

Mmmm, i may have to put a post on the silicon dust site then and see what's going wrong..

Old 07-02-2004, 05:19 AM   #435 (Print)
Rob Nespor Bellis
Grumpy Sod

Boot time......

OK noob questions

Has anyone else got a very long start-up ( or reboot ) time with their cachecard install.

I am talking 5-8 minutes for the TiVo to boot, it seems to go through a ram check process on the TiVo ( at least the red cache light is flashing all the time ) which takes an absolute age before actually booting.

Is this normal, I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Oh and I get these log entries....

Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 1451424 bailed with DMA running
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, secCnt=7, LBAsect=1451424
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, secCnt=7, LBAsect=1451424
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: cachecard: readsectors returned 0 instead of 4096!
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: cachectl: Hard drive read error!

Again I have seen another post alluding to a similar error on a Samsung, last time I pulled the drives for diags they bot passed fine. Is this normal!

Rgds,

R.

Last edited by RobBellis : 07-02-2004 at 05:38 AM.
Rob Nespor Bellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-02-2004, 08:11 AM   #436 (Print)
Adlopa

Send a message via AIM to Adlopa
Mine takes several minutes to boot after a hard reset and it displays nothing on-screen during the process, nor does it respond to a ping. This had me worried when I first installed the cachecard. A soft reset is quicker, and I get the on-screen status report from the Cachecard.

No errors in my logs, but then they only seem to go back to yesterday...
Adlopa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-02-2004, 02:00 PM   #437 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Re: Boot time......

Quote:
Originally posted by RobBellis
OK noob questions

Has anyone else got a very long start-up ( or reboot ) time with their cachecard install.

I am talking 5-8 minutes for the TiVo to boot, it seems to go through a ram check process on the TiVo ( at least the red cache light is flashing all the time ) which takes an absolute age before actually booting.

Is this normal, I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Oh and I get these log entries....

Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: IDE: read command for sector 1451424 bailed with DMA running
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: hda: unexpected_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, secCnt=7, LBAsect=1451424
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: Stopping immediate on Ide
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: hda: tivo_dma_intr_direct: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, secCnt=7, LBAsect=1451424
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: cachecard: readsectors returned 0 instead of 4096!
Jan 1 00:05:24 (none) kernel: cachectl: Hard drive read error!

Again I have seen another post alluding to a similar error on a Samsung, last time I pulled the drives for diags they bot passed fine. Is this normal!

Rgds,

R.

You may have hit the same problem I did - the Cachecard drivers found incipent hard disk errors on my disk before It's really noticed them in normal use.

Re: the startup time, yes it takes ages but you can remove the RAM test by deleteing the -t parameter from the CC driver load line in rc.sysinit.

Author of EndPad, DailyMail and others now run by other generous souls. Setup: MCE hub feeds 3 x 360s from 2 x DVB-T tuners and 1 x Sky via TiVo+eTivo. Sky+HD coming 22/5.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:40 PM   #438 (Print)
Rob Nespor Bellis
Grumpy Sod

Thanks for the replies!

The first couple of reboots ( hard and soft ) did not show anything on the screen ( there was a signal, at least the plasma though so ) just a black screen ( no welcome to TiVo etc. so I thought I had missed something )

Now it is showing the CacheCard boot screen so I know something is going on....

Report back, the ebuyer generic 512MB module which I bought works fine ( and cheaply 33.63+VAT ) QuickFind code 22918

I will double check the disks ( I have spares but....... ) I suspect moving all the current recordings off, doing a backup, "factory" initialising the disks ( they are Maxtor, so can use PowerMax ) and putting everything back will sort out any errors.

Rgds,

R.
Rob Nespor Bellis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2004, 06:16 AM   #439 (Print)
aitcheff

Re: Re: Boot time......

Quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
Re: the startup time, yes it takes ages but you can remove the RAM test by deleteing the -t parameter from the CC driver load line in rc.sysinit.

I'd like to remove the -t parameter from the 'Cachectl -t' line in my RC.SYSINIT file. What's the best method for doing this? I tried JOE which edits my RC.SYSINIT.AUTHOR file with no problems, but it doesn't seem to like RC.SYSINIT - perhaps it is too long a file??

In JOE, I find the correct line in RC.SYSINIT by paging down using CTL-V, then line down to the correct line with CTL-N, but then when I try to cursor across to the -t parameter with CTL-F, it seems to go haywire - jumps a few characters and then inserts characters into the line with every CTL-F. I can't figure out what's going on.

Is there a better editor than JOE that I could use, or what's the recommended method?

Aitcheff.
aitcheff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2004, 06:25 AM   #440 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Why not just use the right arrow insead of ctrl-F? Works for me!

Old 07-03-2004, 11:02 AM   #441 (Print)
aitcheff

Quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
Why not just use the right arrow insead of ctrl-F? Works for me!
Hmmm .... I still get the same problems with right arrow. Perhaps I don't have the latest version of JOE? (v2.8)

Anyway, I took a deep breath, crossed my fingers and edited the file on my PC. Ran DOS2UNIX and FTPed it back (having made a copy of the original). Did a CHMOD +x and rebooted. Much to my relief it all worked. The Cachecard skips the Write and Verify stages at reboot and saves about 5 minutes on a restart.

Aitcheff
aitcheff is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 07-03-2004, 12:35 PM   #442 (Print)
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

More likely to be an issue with your teminal program on the PC. I just use command line telnet with XP.