Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 08-14-2004, 06:38 PM   #1 (Print)
aengus9

Help with PPP over serial

I've got a phillips series 1 and the modem has just gone bad. I've followed the guide at http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tiv...ki.net/45.html, but tivo fails on the test call. It hang on 'Connecting.'

I've used hyperterminal and the call coming through looks good, and XP shows the icon with "unauthenticated user' next to my incoming connection icon.

I'm not sure why it would connect correctly and then not be able to get informaiton over the internet. My home network is set up simply enough. I've got a Netgear rt314 NAT router that I connect all my PCs, including the laptop I'm trying to get Tivo to connect with. The router does NAT and DHCP.

Any ideas or tips on how to diagnose what's wrong? I've only got a few days of guide data left, and I don't have the $70 right now to spring for a turbonet.

Thanks
aengus9 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2004, 07:17 PM   #2 (Print)
cactus46

This was the link that got me going and also setting an IP range above my normal home DHCP network: http://www.tivohelp.com/archive/tiv...iki.net/45.html Your link gave me a page not found. Make sure you manually set the IP address such as an example of 192.168.0.9 - 192.168.0.10, above the normal DHCP addressing range of your router.

John
cactus46 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-15-2004, 07:56 PM   #3 (Print)
FatherTed
Not Registered

that's the same page, his caught the , at the end.
FatherTed is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 08-16-2004, 09:04 PM   #4 (Print)
aengus9

Ok, my tivo is officially out of guide data. I reconfigured the IP address assignment to be in the range of what my router assigns. It still connects, but fails to actually get data from the internet. I've attached screen shots showing the 'status' of the connection icon that appears when Tivo actually makes the connection.

Please, anyone who might be able to help, I would greatly appreciate it.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:16 PM   #5 (Print)
FatherTed
Not Registered

That looks like what I originally had when I tried to use the wrong "communications cable between two computers" selection. I had originally selected the one at the top with the small icon next to it. That's the wrong one. I got a lot of attempt to send but no receive.
Old 08-17-2004, 02:17 PM   #6 (Print)
aengus9

What do you mean the wrong "comunications cable between tow computers" selection. When I go to create the connection, I only see one option available. Here's what my screen looks like.

If you could elaborate I would appreciate it.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2004, 03:49 PM   #7 (Print)
FatherTed
Not Registered

Wrong screen. That's not the window for setting up a new modem type. That's the one for setting up which one to use after you've already done the previous work.

The one where you select serial connection over a cable connected between computers. You're in the wrong place. It's what you go through to get to that point.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:04 PM   #8 (Print)
aengus9

Sorry about that. I appreciate the patience. Here's the screen where I selected the 'cable between two computers' for the new modem

There is no other listing for using a cable. Everything above that is just a standard modem type.

Still can't get it to get data from the internet. Tonight I think I'll try bypassing my router and see what I get.

Thanks for the help
Old 08-17-2004, 04:23 PM   #9 (Print)
FatherTed
Not Registered

Dang, you beat me to it. I even had a graphic made up. You selected the correct one. The one at the top is signed. The one at the bottom is unsigned. You got the right one.

After you modified the driver file and did the reboot but got no results did you try the hyperterminal test?

Yes, there are 2. One is signed and the other is unsigned. One is at the top of the list with an icon next to it. The other is the one you chose at the bottom.