July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2005, 03:14 PM   #1 (Print)
asfafa

Problems setting up Sony VTX-D800 with TiVo

Hi All

Well, I finally saw the light and cancelled by Sky Subscription, and purchased a Sony VTX-D800 Freeview box. So far I'm very impressed with the Picture Quality and software.

I connected it up to my TiVo (aerial -> TiVo -> STB) as stated in the manual, but it couldn't find BBC1 or BBC2 plus a few other channels. So I swapped the STB and TiVo around and it picked up all the channels without problem! Is there a problem with my TiVo? I searched the forums and there was a similar topic, to actually insert the aerial into the STB rather than the TiVo. OK...

So I re-ran the Setup Guide, and when it came to testing the Channel changing/IR, nothing worked! The screen is blank apart from the TiVo text. When I pressed 'AUX', the channel had changed correctly. So it seems that the channels do change - it's just that I can't see it happening in the Setup.

Is there a problem with my setup here?

Thanks in advance

paul
asfafa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2005, 04:02 AM   #2 (Print)
NickDvl

You should always have the aerial pass through the STB first. The more links in the chain, the weaker/noisier the signal is likely to get (and on a digital receiver, that's bad news!).

Some things to check: have you configured TiVo to use your STB for the channels you receive (if I remember correctly, you should select the CAB channels instead of the AER ones)? Have you not perhaps selected the same channel twice in a row (e.g. you're already on BBC2, and you press "2" on the remote)?

There is a bug on TiVo where sometimes it doesn't pick up the feed from the auxiliary input even though it's clearly there. It might be that, although I've only experienced it a handful of times.
NickDvl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-12-2005, 04:11 AM   #3 (Print)
asfafa

Hi Nick

Thanks for your reply.

I did run the Setup Guide properly and I have only selected (cab) channels.

I have the unit running for 12 hours now, and it has recorded a few programmes already, so the channel changing must be working despite not 'working' in the Setup.

I only hope that this Sony STB will last as long as my Grundig Sky digibox (which has served me well since 2001)...

paul
asfafa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 10-13-2005, 05:41 AM   #4 (Print)
NickDvl

My Sony VTX-D800 has been running fine since the beginning of the year. No complaints (except for the shared channel issue that can leave your recording with the grey mist or that annoying BBC retune message).

Compared to my old Nokia, it's a rock-solid box!
NickDvl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-23-2005, 01:08 PM   #5 (Print)
Digiguy

Smile

I am having similar problems with my VTX-D800
On set up TIVO says there no video present. When I finally manage to make it see the box, I am unable to change channel without getting the blue screen.

Tivo is unable to change channel for automated recordings.

I am using Freeview 2 of 2. Fast channel changes. "00*" for the channel numbers, using the code given by TIVO support.

Can someone guide me here please? To change the codes, do I need to delete everything and start over?

It's really annoying as I can't rely on sky+ to record anything this xmas.

Cheers!
Digiguy is offline Report Bad Post Report Post