Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 05-16-2005, 03:37 AM   #1 (Print)
angrybulldog

Angry Please help w/ DirecTivo Upgrade for Phillips DSR704

Please, help! I've struggled all weekend to simply upgrade my Phillips DSR704 DirecTV Series 2 to a Seagate 160 harddrive and I cannot even get past the MFS tools ... I think my jumper settings have stymied me, but I'm not sure.

I cannot get my PC to recognize my Western Digital Tivo HD as master or slave, and I cannot get my WD400 to be recognized as master while the tivo HD is in its IDE slot as secondary master.

this is driving me nuts .... could really use a hand/advice here. Please. I'm willing to not even do a backup if I could just do something as simple as getting this to work so I could just add the larger harddrive. phew!

thanks, the angrybulldog
angrybulldog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 03:58 AM   #2 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

If you are looking at what the BIOS reports and hoping to see the drive(s) there, don't worry about it.

Just set the IDE drive detection in the BIOS setup to "None" for the TiVo drive and the new drive and linux (which ignores what the BIOS says anyway) will find them fine.

Just be careful not to let your PC boot into Windows NT, 2000 or XP with the TiVo drive attached as they write a signature to the drive that overwrites the TiVo's boot sector!

blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-16-2005, 03:49 PM   #3 (Print)
angrybulldog

Thanks but ... in my fervor to get the gosh darned script to recognize the tivo as a secondary master, I might have (can't recall, it was a long day) let it boot to WinXP.

does that mean I'm hosed, ergo, tivo hd's been wiped? if not, because I have no idea the status of either the primary or secondary HD's since I can't get past this script process ... thanks, angrybulldog
angrybulldog is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 05-17-2005, 02:48 AM   #4 (Print)
blindlemon
tivoheaven.co.uk

If you booted into NT/2000/XP then the TiVo drive's boot sector may be overwritten, but the rest of the drive should be untouched.

Try putting the drive back in your TiVo and see if it boots up OK. If it doesn't then you may need to use MakeTiVoBootable to restore the boot sector.

Last edited by blindlemon : 05-30-2005 at 11:44 AM.
blindlemon is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-25-2005, 07:10 PM   #5 (Print)
ken110

Wink Success over WD400LB

angrybulldog - thanks for the question

blindlemon - thanks for the answer about letting Linux recognize the disk over bios.

I spent over 30 minutes with different jumper connections because my BIOS on my test machine (PIII 450 MHZ) would not recognize the WD400LB harddrive that came with my TiVo. However, setting BIOS to None for that hard drive and letting Linux detect worked great. I had to do the same for my new harddrive after copying the TiVo backup to it, too. I used Hindsdale's guide and the mfstools2 CD image.

For others who may find this email, my other two troubles that I overcame were:

1. When testing TiVo with the new large disk, I did not wait long enough (like 3 minutes) for the Welcome, powering up... message to disappear. I kept changing the jumper from MA to CS, and it turns out that both settings work.

2. After it booted up with this test and before copying over my shows, I could see TV behind the Now Playing list. However, after expanding/copying the shows from the old disk to the new one, it worked fine.

Thanks for the advice and hope this email helps others.
BTW, I donated to Elf Foundation for Hinsdale!
ken110 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post