Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-12-2005, 02:15 PM   #1 (Print)
MickeS

How to check TiVo disks for errors?

Hi all, I searched but didn't find anything about it in the. If it's been discussed before, please point me in the right direction.

I have a TiVo (230040) with an original 40GB drive plus an added 160GB drive (non-lba48, so 137GB recognized).

My TiVo has been freezing video, making a "buzz-sawish" sound and rebooted several times a day over the weekend, so I have a feeling a HD is failing on it.

Is there any way I can take the HDs out and run a checkdisk program on them to determine which one is the culprit? I'd hate to have to replace both, especially if it's the 40GB that's failing!

Need replies asap.

/Mike

Last edited by MickeS : 12-12-2005 at 04:46 PM.
MickeS is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2005, 02:32 PM   #2 (Print)
HomeUser

Most drive manufactures have there own disk diagnostics check the drive MFG web page.

I use the commercial program Spinrite http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm probably hard to justify the $90 for just the TiVo drives.
HomeUser is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM   #3 (Print)
MickeS

These are IIRC a Seagate and a WD drive. But can I hook the drives up to the PC and check the discs using their tools (they have some online)? I thought that made them unusable in TiVo?

Of course, since I have to replace at least one of them (most likely) it might not matter anyway...?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:11 PM   #4 (Print)
HomeUser

You can connect the drives to a PC run the hard drive diagnostics that boot from CD or Floppy. Just *NEVER* let the computer boot to XP with a TiVo ready drive installed.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:15 PM   #5 (Print)
MickeS

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Will try it today!
Old 12-13-2005, 02:18 AM   #6 (Print)
MickeS

Well, I just tried it, and the WD tool (turned out both drives were WD drives) reported no errors... hmmm...could the freezing and reboots be due to something else, is the diagnostic software unable to detect TiVo file system errors, or is it some other HD error?

/Mke
Old 12-13-2005, 09:21 AM   #7 (Print)
DocNo

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS
could the freezing and reboots be due to something else, is the diagnostic software unable to detect TiVo file system errors, or is it some other HD error?

More than likely hard drive error. I've had one Maxtor and two Western Digital's go belly up on me From now on, only Seagate for me - at least with a 5 year warranty I'll get a replacement drive.

Spinrite is the best program out there. Boots into DOS, has full control over the hardware and will really examine the heck out of the drive. I have revived my drives a couple of times, but once they start erroring out, your screwed. Might as well get another drive and use MFS tools to get off any programs you still care about.

God I hate rotating disk - can't wait for solid state to catch up and replace
DocNo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-13-2005, 09:50 AM   #8 (Print)
HomeUser

I also recommend using SpinRite.

The TiVo could be over-heating check the fan.

I don't know about the freezing the re-boots could be caused by power supply failure.

you might want to look at the TiVo log files. You need to boot one of the TiVO upgrade CD's look in partition 9 of the 'A' drive.

Mfstoos2
http://mfstools.sourceforge.net/

PTVUpgrade
http://www.ptvupgrade.com/products/...ba48/index.html
Old 12-13-2005, 11:49 AM   #9 (Print)
MickeS

Thanks for the tips, I will try those tonight hopefully. The log file tip sounds useful, is it complicated?

I already backed up all the shows I wanted to keep using TivoToGo (rocks! ), so I don't care about loss of data right now. I might just go out and buy a new HD (saw that Best Buy has a 300GB western digital for $82 incl tax, after mail-in rebates...) and put that in the TiVo, and use the old HDs in the PC if they still work.
Would be nice if the 160GB drive worked though, 460GB in the TiVo wouldn't be too shabby.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:24 PM   #10 (Print)
HomeUser

Quote:
The log file tip sounds useful, is it complicated?

Assuming the TiVo 'A' drive is Primary/Master /dev/hda adjust "hda" accordingly
after booting the CD press the enter key to get to the command line the procedure will go something like this. (not sure about the correct names of the log files)

mkdir /mnt/TiVo
mount /dev/hda9 /mnt/TiVo
cat /mnt/TiVo/log/tivo.error or cat /mnt/TiVo/error.log

'cat' displays the entire file a lot will scroll off the screen use Shift+PageUp to scroll up the display.
"cat /proc/partitions" displays the drives and partitions that Linux knows about.
"cat /proc/devices" displays devices that Linux knows about

'ls' is a command that list the contents of a directory "ls /mnt/TiVo" "ls /mnt/TiVo/log"

Hope this helps.