THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-08-2004, 06:05 PM   #121 (Print)
btwyx
Substantive Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan203
The funny thing is the Pioneer unit, which already has digital audio output, only has one USB port. All the standalone TiVos without digital audio output have two. I wonder if this was part of their plan from the beginning?
They could be doing the optical out using a USB device, thus only having one external USB port. I know of a product which does just that.

Old 09-08-2004, 06:07 PM   #122 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

Quote:
Originally posted by DCIFRTHS
Could you explain what you mean by the statement above?

All standard Series 2 TiVos I've seen have two USB ports on the back. The Pioneer unit only has one. My thought was that maybe TiVo always intended to use the second port for digital audio, and that since the Pioneer had a digital audio port built in, it didn't need the second USB port. However I just looked up a rear photo of the Toshiba unit, which also has digital audio output, and it had two USB ports. So I guess that theory is out the window.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-08-2004, 06:20 PM   #123 (Print)
AirShark
KI6AZD, TiVo Tamer

Stupid leaked news stories......gonna have me anticipating for years ;-)
AirShark is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-08-2004, 07:53 PM   #124 (Print)
shady
Non Registered User

Did anyone spot this section?
Quote:
Netflix and TiVo haven't publicly disclosed how many subscribers they share.

"Shouldn't that say Privicay laws prohibit Netflix and TiVo from knowing how many subscribers they share"

Or am I being Naive?
shady is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-08-2004, 09:14 PM   #125 (Print)
Ned Dorsey

This columnist has another angle on the rumors, and suggests a possible merger is in the works http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_T....cfm?fnl=040908
Ned Dorsey is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-09-2004, 12:20 AM   #126 (Print)
ZeoTiVo
fantastic four TiVos

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned Dorsey
This columnist has another angle on the rumors, and suggests a possible merger is in the works http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_T....cfm?fnl=040908

this line from it makes no sense
"A Netflix deal with TiVo, would make it far easier for consumers to view movies on TV than via the Internet - especially since most U.S. computer users don't have broadband access. "

and makes me discount what is being said. Though Netflix and TiVo are two businesses that could merge quite easily
ZeoTiVo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-09-2004, 08:17 AM   #127 (Print)
slocko

I think what he means is that people can watch the movies on their TV, rather than their computer as with other services. I imagine that most people will not go through the trouble of connecting their computer to their tv.

What doesn't make sense is his comment about broadband. Does downloading movies over dialup make sense? It doesn't matter if it's tivo or movielink, I don't think dialup is feasible. Aside from the speed issue, dialup isn't always on.

Old 09-09-2004, 11:39 AM   #128 (Print)
Dan203
Cyn-er

A 2GB movie file would take about 3 1/2 DAYS to download via a dial-up connection, so I'd say that dial-up is not feasible for this particular usage.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)
Dan203 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-09-2004, 12:40 PM   #129 (Print)
blueice888

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5357336.html

Yet more stories on the rumors...
blueice888 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-09-2004, 01:33 PM   #130 (Print)
canyonero!
Weak. Powerful Weak

CBS MarketWatch columnist Herb Greenberg has been really down on Netflix for a while now. He's got a column up where he basically slams the idea. Is it cool to post the content?

Quote:
Why Netflix/TiVo is irrelevant
Commentary: Also, Jos. A Bank and Chico's

By Herb Greenberg, CBS MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 1:59 PM ET Sept. 9, 2004

SAN DIEGO (CBS.MW) - Thursday thwack:

Noodling Netflix: In the hoopla over a possible linkup between Netflix and TiVo, something appears to have been lost on investors: Even if the two strike some kind of deal allowing Netflix (NFLX: news, chart, profile) subscribers to access movies by downloading them onto a TiVo for a monthly subscription price or pay-per view, it's unlikely the library of titles will be anywhere near the 25,000 Netflix now claims -- at least not anytime soon. Ditto for Netflix's plans to offer download services, which the company has suggested will happen sometime next year.

Blame that on a complex web of film rights and so-called use "windows" granted by movie studios, which are different for "hard goods," such as retail or DVD-by-mail, and "electronic," which can include the Internet or TV. "The big ah-ha for a lot of companies is that the availability to get these movies is gone because of the rights that have already been sold," says Bob Greene, senior VP of advance services for the StarzEncore Group.

Starz, for example, already has long-term exclusive rights for electronic delivery of film libraries from Disney, Sony's Revolution and for half the first-run library of Universal, as well as electronic distribution rights to movies from a handful of independent studios. HBO and Showtime have equally exclusive electronic deals with other studios.

In many cases, Greene says, these rights stretch to 2010. That means any company offering online movie downloading, by pay-per-view or subscription, will be operating from a remarkably limited library of movies that are either old or -- as is the case for first-run pay-per-view -- available for a limited time.

Case in point: downloading pioneer MovieLink's library is slightly less than 900 movies -- all of them pay per view. Its rival, CinemaNow has a few more, with a choice of pay-per-view or subscription. But its subscription access, at $9.95 a month or $49.95 per year, is limited to 614 movies; throw in adult-only fare and the number of titles rises to 709 for $29.95 per month or $99.95 per year. (First-run movies are available for an extra pay-per-view charge.) StarzEncore is wading into the subscription downloading waters though a partnership with Real Networks known as Starz! Ticket. It offers 150 titles for a monthly price of $12.95, with a twist: Since it's pulling from its own library, on which it has Internet rights, its subscribers can get first-run movies without paying extra.

Netflix, meanwhile, recently boosted the monthly price of its basic DVD by mail service by 10 percent to $22. The price increase was followed by a full assault from Blockbuster, which has recently launched its own DVD by mail service. Netflix appears to be feeling the impact. As I mentioned the other day on Herb Greenberg's RealityCheck, the company is making it harder to cancel -- making anybody who wants to cancel call in rather than doing it online. (That means being put on hold for what can be more than a few minutes.) Then there was the conveniently leaked story to Newsweek about a supposedly imminent TiVo (TIVO: news, chart, profile) deal, which Netflix now says is not on any timetable for rollout.

And this just in: Further signs that Blockbuster (BBI: news, chart, profile) must be taking a toll come from my assistant, Samantha Soga, received an e-mail Wednesday from Netflix offering a 30-day free trial to "friends and family" of existing subscribers. That's double the usual free-trial period.

P.S.: I didn't call Netflix for comment. The company has made it clear that it will not respond to my queries. To quote my old friend Allan Sloan of Newsweek at a gathering of journalists years ago: "More space for me, less space for them."

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/sto...d=mktw&dist=nbc
canyonero! is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #131 (Print)
AirShark
KI6AZD, TiVo Tamer

What a player-hater that guy is.....he sounds very very bitter
AirShark is offline Report Bad Post Report Post