July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 11-22-2004, 05:28 PM   #1 (Print)
walTerWT
Um, I wonder how man

Sweet Deal from DTV

Ok, so thanks to people like you (the Tivo forum folks) and my brother in law who pushed me to get tivo for years, I took the plunge.

Well as it turns out, with 2 tv's and with two people that watch very different shows- there is no way that I will watch All My Children or Desperate Housewives... I found my wife and I occasionally fighting over the tivo...so the obvious solution was to get a second one for the other TV.

So I call 800-directv.

Saturday-- am--great

They will run another cable? You bet sir, installation is included.

How much will it add to my bill.

-0- Hmm, good. How much for the Tivo.

After rebate? And btw I am NOT a new customer and I already have 1 tivo.

Oh, no sir, this is our new promotion- 49.99 delivered (well 14.00 tax and stuff) with free installation and there is no rebate- that is the full cost.

Ok so for 49.99, with no increase in my bill, you will come to my house, run another cable and install the second tivo?

Yes.

I love you.

Thank you sir, I know...

My Diatribe
walTerWT is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2004, 05:32 PM   #2 (Print)
Rcrew

This might be enough to push me over the edge for a 3rd DTiVo...

It would be a Series 2, large hard drive support (?), and installation wouldn't be that big a deal, swap out my 2x4 multi-switch for a 2x6, and a couple of 20' cable runs that I could even pre-run.

I just happen to have half a spool of double coax, and a good crimping tool.

Dang, what's holding me back?

Thanks for the info!
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2004, 05:35 PM   #3 (Print)
walTerWT
Um, I wonder how man

LOL I kicked myself for not calling sooner--

I think they said it was a November special? Not sure and I don't recall seeing this advertised either.

My Diatribe
Old 11-22-2004, 05:37 PM   #4 (Print)
Ciannait
Generic Geek Girl

I was tempted by that offer but decided to buy an 80gig TiVo instead of the 40gig one that DTV's promotion is for. It's $50 more, and I can run the cable myself.

Old 11-22-2004, 05:39 PM   #5 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciannait
I was tempted by that offer but decided to buy an 80gig TiVo instead of the 40gig one that DTV's promotion is for. It's $50 more, and I can run the cable myself.

If you can run cable, can you swap out the drive? It's usually been $$ smart to buy the cheapest, smallest drive DTiVo and drop in a 160gb drive. Those drives are getting really cheap these days. And often there's a forum member that'll help do the upgrade if you can't.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:56 PM   #6 (Print)
JFriday

Looks like I'll be adding my 4th Dtivo.
JFriday is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2004, 06:49 PM   #7 (Print)
steuert
TivoGeezer

"How much will it add to my bill. -0- "

I don't think this is correct. You will not see any additional fee for TiVo service from DTV, but they will add a $5 "mirroring" fee for programs for the second unit.

But still a great deal IMO.
steuert is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2004, 06:53 PM   #8 (Print)
walTerWT
Um, I wonder how man

Quote:
Originally posted by steuert
"How much will it add to my bill. -0- "

I don't think this is correct. You will not see any additional fee for TiVo service from DTV, but they will add a $5 "mirroring" fee for programs for the second unit.

But still a great deal IMO.

eww, what's a "mirroring fee?

My understanding was that the 4.99 tivo fee I pay to DTV each month covers any and all tivos that I have. I have not heard of this fee before and I specifically asked.

Also btw, I am already paying the extra 5 a month for the second receiver in the other room if that is what you are referring too.

I pay Base fee for my package, 4.99 for my tivo and 5.00 for my second receiver...and adding the tivo is supposed to keep those fees the same.

My Diatribe
Old 11-22-2004, 07:01 PM   #9 (Print)
hillbilly

Quote:
Originally posted by walTerWT

I pay Base fee for my package, 4.99 for my tivo and 5.00 for my second receiver...and adding the tivo is supposed to keep those fees the same.

if you are swapping out a standard ird with a DVR then your bill will stay the same. If you are adding the DVR as a 3dr ird then your bill will go up $4.99 because of the additional ird fee.
hillbilly is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2004, 07:08 PM   #10 (Print)
EMoMoney
Big and Tall

Quote:
eww, what's a "mirroring fee?

My understanding was that the 4.99 tivo fee I pay to DTV each month covers any and all tivos that I have. I have not heard of this fee before and I specifically asked.

Also btw, I am already paying the extra 5 a month for the second receiver in the other room if that is what you are referring too.

Yes, if you are replacing your current second receiver with the TiVo you just ordered, your bill will be the same. I think he thought you were adding a third reciever.
EMoMoney is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2004, 07:11 PM   #11 (Print)
walTerWT
Um, I wonder how man

Ah, ok roger that!!

Yeah swapping... not adding.

phew!

And oddly I am really excited about Saturday...

My Diatribe
Old 11-22-2004, 08:26 PM   #12 (Print)
Rax

Send a message via ICQ to Rax
You'll likely have a one-year contract with discounted hardware. Not a big deal, just wanted you to know.
Rax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-22-2004, 11:30 PM   #13 (Print)
icebergz

what?

let me get this straight. I have had my first and only Tivo unit for about 10 months now. Are you guys saying that if I call DTV, I can get another 40 gig Tivo unit to replace my standard second unit for $49.99 plus tax? And this includes running a second cable to my bedroom?
icebergz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 01:27 AM   #14 (Print)
Athenian

Yes.
Athenian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 01:54 AM   #15 (Print)
Rcrew

These deals aren't exactly unheard of.

But I wonder what's motivating DTV right now. Are they dumping all the TiVo DVRs they have? Or just looking to really bump subscriptions before the end of the year?
Old 11-23-2004, 02:09 AM   #16 (Print)
eman7911

Dumping the 40 gig...maybe

I don't have Direct TiVo yet, but I called a tech support person with Direct TV Sunday night and he said Direct TV will be offering the 80gig TiVo unit soon (probably after Jan 1, 2005). So my presumtion is they're dumping their inventory of 40 gig as much as they can so they can offer the 80 gig unit. My guess they will still offer it at $99 (just like CCity and Best Buy) and get rid of the rebate offer.
eman7911 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 02:11 AM   #17 (Print)
eman7911

Oh and by the way

Please see my post in this forum about DirectTV w/TiVo and Bellsouth bundle discount. Thanks
eman7911 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 09:17 AM   #18 (Print)
OneEyedWonder

Quote:
Originally posted by Ciannait

does DTV offer the 80 gig model thru them or do you have to go to a circuit city or best buy type place??

i have one Dtv Tivo (40 hr Hughes) and was thinking of adding a second one. this 49.99 deal seems to be a bargin, but if i can replace my 40 hr with an 80 hour for only 99.99 that may be the way to go.

thanks in advance
OneEyedWonder is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 09:55 AM   #19 (Print)
MattDing

Send a message via AIM to MattDing
Quote:
Originally posted by OneEyedWonder
does DTV offer the 80 gig model thru them or do you have to go to a circuit city or best buy type place??

i have one Dtv Tivo (40 hr Hughes) and was thinking of adding a second one. this 49.99 deal seems to be a bargin, but if i can replace my 40 hr with an 80 hour for only 99.99 that may be the way to go.

thanks in advance

Once again though, you could save the $50 and buy the $49 unit and then spend that $50 on a new hard drive. By the time the holidays are in full swing, that $50 will definitely get you a 160GB drive(probably after rebate). Then you have quadrupled your capacity instead of doubling it, for the same price. You do have to have a computer and some moderate computer skills, but it is not hard in the least if you can read instructions and can follow them carefully.

Edit: Well, not quite quadruple, because of the 137GB limit. But you will have a unit that will record 120 hours.
MattDing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 10:07 AM   #20 (Print)
disco
stayin' alive.

Send a message via ICQ to disco Send a message via AIM to disco Send a message via MSN to disco Send a message via Yahoo to disco
Holy cow! I just got it, and I've only been a DirecTV customer for 2 months! Whoo-hoo!! A second TiVo for the bedroom! EXCELLENT!! Now..I need to get a phone line into that room by next Monday...

Old 11-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #21 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by disco
Holy cow! I just got it, and I've only been a DirecTV customer for 2 months! Whoo-hoo!! A second TiVo for the bedroom! EXCELLENT!! Now..I need to get a phone line into that room by next Monday...

Hey Nate, just run a long extension for the setup call. The DTiVos only need to call in once or twice a month. You won't even get a nag screen for a couple of weeks!
Old 11-23-2004, 12:08 PM   #22 (Print)
disco
stayin' alive.

Send a message via ICQ to disco Send a message via AIM to disco Send a message via MSN to disco Send a message via Yahoo to disco
Quote:
Originally posted by Rcrew
Hey Nate, just run a long extension for the setup call. The DTiVos only need to call in once or twice a month. You won't even get a nag screen for a couple of weeks!
Nah, I'll just bring a line into the room. Nag screens REALLY bother me!

Old 11-23-2004, 12:53 PM   #23 (Print)
RBerryman
Just a Member

Send a message via AIM to RBerryman
When I did the movers package, they also ran the phone lines for me, probably depends on how big a tip the installer is hoping for, you may want to hang on and hope they just add it but have a long phone cord around in case they don't and then you could add the phone line at your leisure
RBerryman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 01:19 PM   #24 (Print)
walTerWT
Um, I wonder how man

Quote:
Originally posted by RBerryman
...probably depends on how big a tip the installer is hoping for...

Is tipping part of the normal course of installation?

My Diatribe
Old 11-23-2004, 01:58 PM   #25 (Print)
lew

Quote:

Tipping is normal if you're asking the installer to do something that's not included with the basic installation. The example in the above post was asking the installer to run an extra phone jack. Other examples would include wall snaking, attic work or even running an extra line for future use.
lew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-23-2004, 02:02 PM   #26 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:

You'll get the standard spread of responses to that question here.

I'm in the camp that if he does an exceptional job of the regular installation services, a tip if probably warranted.

Of course if he does anything extra, a tip is called for.

On my installation, I worked with him, I did the attic crawls, while he fed cable from below. I moved stuff around, and was available as the 'gofer'. That was my tip.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:06 PM   #27 (Print)
disco
stayin' alive.

I usually give them the best "setup" possible by running wires, making sure the area is clear for him/her to access. I agree with Rcrew: that's my tip - help.

Old 11-24-2004, 09:35 AM   #28 (Print)
lutton

Send a message via AIM to lutton Send a message via Yahoo to lutton
Installation mandatory?

I have a wiring closet up on my third floor, and I just need to slide the new device in. I'd rather them just ship the unit to me instead of setting up an appointment for an installer.

Will they do that?
lutton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-24-2004, 09:49 AM   #29 (Print)
FSUScotsman

I just built my house and had it prewired. OH how that makes a big difference. The installer thought he had died and gone to heaven!!!
FSUScotsman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 11-24-2004, 09:59 AM   #30 (Print)
jschuman

I already have 2 DirecTivos with 2 lines run to each. Will the free installation include a new multiswitch to get me (at least) 2 more runs of cable? I currently have the oval dish that came with a 4x4 multiswitch.

Thanks.
jschuman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post