Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-20-2005, 03:53 PM   #1 (Print)
BIGOACTION

Angry directv price increase

All of the rumors are true the price for dtv programming is going up.

Here are the new prices.

Total Choice 41.99$
Total Choice Plus 45.99$
Total Choice Premier 93.99$
(all of these are with local channels which is the other change. The package names.) It is no longer Total Choice w/Locals just Total Choice.
And without locals is Total Choice no locals.

The reason for the price increase according to Dtv is the increase in programming cost.

(sorry should have ran search before posting the new thread)

And as for a side note no other programming is going up or fees. (ie hdtv tivo cost additional rcvr fee)
BIGOACTION is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 03:55 PM   #2 (Print)
Mark W

Do you know when these are effective?
Mark W is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 04:02 PM   #3 (Print)
BIGOACTION

March 1st or around then. Based on the billing dates for some customers.
Also no one is going to be price protected this time around.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #4 (Print)
mattg

I can handle a $3 jump. Still MUCH, MUCH cheaper than Digital cable for so much more.

I see the gap between Total Choice and Total Choice plus is jumping from $3 to $4. I bet they're will be more than a few people who drop down to cover the increase cost. I would, but my kids love the PBS Kids 24hr network.
mattg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #5 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

I can handle these increases. But, I think DirecTV could get a few more subscribers by officially offering a lower priced package. And, possibly another tier or two of their base channels, not including the premiums.

Old 01-20-2005, 04:19 PM   #6 (Print)
mattg

When I had an apt with no southern view, I was paying $65 for Digital Cable in one room with 5 digital channels. $56 (after increase) for DTV, Tivo, and a 2nd receiver is a huge value compared to the alternative.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #7 (Print)
mattg

Quick Question...

For those of us still under a 1 yr agreement, will the price be going up? If so, that seems a little shady to say you need to keep X level of programming then increase the price for that level.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #8 (Print)
lew

Quote:
Originally posted by JimSpence
I can handle these increases. But, I think DirecTV could get a few more subscribers by officially offering a lower priced package. And, possibly another tier or two of their base channels, not including the premiums.

The more expensive stations are the sports stations: ESPN and your local RSN. AFAIK contractually they have to be on the lowest tier. Many of the stations we don't watch cost Directv next to nothing.
lew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #9 (Print)
tom6932

Quote:
Originally posted by mattg
Quick Question...

For those of us still under a 1 yr agreement, will the price be going up? If so, that seems a little shady to say you need to keep X level of programming then increase the price for that level.

no, it will stay the same until the 1 yr agreement is up.
tom6932 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 04:34 PM   #10 (Print)
Michael R
Major

The price increase is probably OK if and only if they add ESPNU.

Michael R is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 04:39 PM   #11 (Print)
taylor2767

Another thing to remember along w/the price increases will be an increase in your sales tax for those in states that charge taxes including me. So that adds up to a addtional $5/month. At least cable doesn't charge taxes on programming...hmmmmm?

Old 01-20-2005, 04:41 PM   #12 (Print)
BIGOACTION

Answer to question no there is know one that is going to price protected.
As in same prices for the rest of the one year commiment. Now they might change that before the prices go into effect. But who knows.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:44 PM   #13 (Print)
BSUGrad
Volleyball Rulez!

Send a message via ICQ to BSUGrad Send a message via AIM to BSUGrad Send a message via MSN to BSUGrad Send a message via Yahoo to BSUGrad
Quote:
Originally posted by taylor2767
Another thing to remember along w/the price increases will be an increase in your sales tax for those in states that charge taxes including me. So that adds up to a addtional $5/month. At least cable doesn't charge taxes on programming...hmmmmm?

Do you mean another $5 on top of the $3 increase? Or is that a total $5 increase? Either way, your tax rates must be astronomical!

Can you say troll?

Old 01-20-2005, 04:49 PM   #14 (Print)
taylor2767

DTV has to honor those on 1yr commitments otherwise how can they intern force their customers to 1yr commitments when they don't honor them. Sounds like fraud if they don't . BTW taxes in OHIO are 5.75% on top of all programming and equipment. I have three receivers and they get taxed and so on and so on.

Old 01-20-2005, 05:44 PM   #15 (Print)
GuidoTKP
Good Times

Send a message via Yahoo to GuidoTKP
Quote:
Originally posted by tom6932
no, it will stay the same until the 1 yr agreement is up.

Sorry but there will be no price protection this year so even if you have a 1 yr commitment your price will be going up.

And happy with what I have.
GuidoTKP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #16 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by GuidoTKP
Sorry but there will be no price protection this year so even if you have a 1 yr commitment your price will be going up.

... time to call and try to squeeze another 'special' priced R10 to replace one of my old S1s...

I told you guys there would be a price to pay for all the freebies!
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 05:58 PM   #17 (Print)
peterl1365

Quote:
Originally posted by taylor2767

Taxes are strange. I live in California and when I was a Dish Network customer, I paid about $1.50 per month in taxes on my Dish bill. Echostar corporate is in Colorado. However, since I switched to DirecTV, I don't pay any taxes, even though D* corporate is in El Segundo, CA. I never understood why.

For anyone living in California, if all else is equal, this is a half-decent reason to prefer D* over E*.
peterl1365 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 06:09 PM   #18 (Print)
Rcrew

Hey Peter, you've got some kind of a sweet deal going.

I'll have to double check, but I believe I'm paying taxes.

I know there was tax on the "delivery & handling" for my new R10. I'm not positive about the monthly services though.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:21 PM   #19 (Print)
CsrLiz344

Send a message via AIM to CsrLiz344
Did they announce this? How do we know it's true there is no price protection?

Old 01-20-2005, 06:29 PM   #20 (Print)
mhallerbach

I can't berlieve this to be true

Quote:
Originally posted by GuidoTKP

I just moved from Dish to Directv(Basically because I wanted a Tivo unit(and get rid of my old 4000 receiver) and Dish was unwilling to give me an upgrade deal without charging me monthly equipment fees(I had been with them since 1996 when they first started - they don't endorse loyalty). Signed a 1 year contract end of Dec 2004 - You can't tell me they are going to raise my fees(They must of known about the price increase coming and didn't say anything to me ). Its not the couple of bucks, its the principal of the matter. If you compare DirecTv to Dish comparable programming is less with Dish(Even before the increase), and my opinion is service quality is comparable.

If they try to pull that crap, I will contact the department of consumer affairs, or ship their crappy R-10 back to them and cancel.

I'm mad now
mhallerbach is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #21 (Print)
tkncareofbsnss

Send a message via AIM to tkncareofbsnss
*starts to call cust service now cause of long hold times, maybe ill get through by the time the price goes up without me being notified*

tkncareofbsnss is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #22 (Print)
Crash_Corrigan

I guess it's about time to give up locals on Directv, since I get all the locals via OTA anyway. I kinda liked having the locals on satellite as backup, but they're really not necessary for me anymore. I might even drop from TC Plus down to TC w/o locals and save a few more bucks while I'm at it.
Crash_Corrigan is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 07:17 PM   #23 (Print)
Rcrew

Re: I can't berlieve this to be true

Quote:
Originally posted by mhallerbach
I'm mad now

Don't waste your energy until it's known.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #24 (Print)
lee espinoza
some guy

Do not take this as fact until DIRECTV says something.
lee espinoza is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-20-2005, 07:22 PM   #25 (Print)
CsrLiz344

Send a message via AIM to CsrLiz344
As far as calling, why bother? You know the CSR doesn't know anything.............

Old 01-20-2005, 07:38 PM   #26 (Print)
Rax

Send a message via ICQ to Rax
How dare they increase prices without my okay? NO company whose services I use has EVER raised prices. It's the same as having too many ads on this forum; if you don't like it, go away.
Rax is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-21-2005, 12:07 AM   #27 (Print)
scooby2
Paradigm Lover

They just better not run those satellite doesn't raise rates commercials ever again.
scooby2 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-21-2005, 12:37 AM   #28 (Print)
GuidoTKP
Good Times

Send a message via Yahoo to GuidoTKP
Quote:
Originally posted by scooby2
They just better not run those satellite doesn't raise rates commercials ever again.

If I remember correctly it was dish running those commercials not DirecTV.

And happy with what I have.
GuidoTKP is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-21-2005, 11:09 AM   #29 (Print)
rifleman69

No satellite taxes here in Oregon, another reason why Comcast out here has been losing customers left and right OR downgraded to basic cable which is still the same price as Total Choice Plus with locals. The picture quality doesn't even compare plus you have TiVo.
rifleman69 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-21-2005, 12:27 PM   #30 (Print)
Didlysquat

I was told that the contract locked in the price for the duration by the CSR that activated my DTivo, but that does not appear to be the case.

ANNUAL PROGRAMMING AGREEMENT

Quote:
ANNUAL PROGRAMMING AGREEMENT

The following terms and conditions describe the Annual Programming Agreement

Programming Commitment: Within 30 days of purchase of your DIRECTV System equipment, you agree to activate any DIRECTV TOTAL CHOICE programming package (valued at $36.99 per month or above), any DIRECTV PARA TODOS programming package (valued at $26.99 per month or above), Phoenix TV, or Jadeworld programming package. DIRECTV PROGRAMMING AND PRICING SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME. The programming package must be maintained for a period of twelve (12) consecutive months (without interruption) for each DIRECTV System purchased by you, including additional DIRECTV Receivers ($4.99 per month per additional TV as long as all receivers are connected to the same phone line). After you have fulfilled your twelve (12) month agreement to the required programming package, you are not obligated to continue your subscription to DIRECTV programming for any specific duration. Existing DIRECTV customers may activate additional receivers with their existing DIRECTV programming package. IF YOU FAIL TO ACTIVATE THE DIRECTV SYSTEM WITHIN 30 DAYS OF PURCHASE, YOU AGREE THAT DIRECTV MAY CHARGE A FEE OF $150 AS LIQUIDATED DAMAGES PER DIRECTV RECEIVER NOT ACTIVATED.

Consequences of your Failure to Maintain Programming Commitment: If you fail to maintain and pay for twelve (12) consecutive months of the required programming package, you agree that DIRECTV may charge you a prorated fee of up to one hundred fifty US dollars ($150.00); within 14 days of downgrading or disconnecting your programming, you have an option to send all of your DIRECTV System Equipment (receiver[s] and remote control[s]) to DIRECTV in lieu of this payment. The Equipment, including the Access Card inserted into each DIRECTV System receiver unit, must be returned to DIRECTV in good working order, normal wear and tear excepted. See DIRECTV.com or call 1-800-DIRECTV for details.

Bold emphasis is mine.