THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 02-17-2005, 08:03 PM   #121 (Print)
nlayton
;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by technojunkie
I love all this talk about satellite updates. Folks those updates involve things like scheduling and which channels you receive. Software is updated via the phone line or internet if you've put in a hack. Both of my units were updated yesterday by a forced call. The calls took nearly an hour. Don't think you'll get the software by sat and the phone call just riggers it. Ain't so. Get your unit to a phone line and dial in. This upgrade doesn't sound anything like the one for TGO. No special list just dial in.

I tried this right after reading your post. No dice. I did not get the upgrade. So I tried again about 8 hours later on the theory that there was no special list, guess what, still no upgrade. SO there is a list of some type (controlled rollout) wether it's special or not is still to be determined.

Happiness is a warm TiVo!
nlayton is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 09:13 PM   #122 (Print)
KrazyKevin

Are my 2 DSR7000's going to get the upgrade?
KrazyKevin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 09:17 PM   #123 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyKevin
Are my 2 DSR7000's going to get the upgrade?
Yes

Old 02-17-2005, 09:21 PM   #124 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by technojunkie
I love all this talk about satellite updates. Folks those updates involve things like scheduling and which channels you receive. Software is updated via the phone line or internet if you've put in a hack. Both of my units were updated yesterday by a forced call. The calls took nearly an hour. Don't think you'll get the software by sat and the phone call just riggers it. Ain't so. Get your unit to a phone line and dial in. This upgrade doesn't sound anything like the one for TGO. No special list just dial in.
Yup it is so! The software gets downloaded from the satellite and activated by a phone call. It will only update on the phone if you missed the satellite download. What version did you update to? 3.1.1e? 6.2 is not out yet. Your machine was most likely not hooked up when the software was available in the satellite stream.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:44 PM   #125 (Print)
dtivofan23
TiVo addict

i also disagree that the software update is downloaded through the sat. once i had disconnected my tivo for over a month and also removed the tivo package from my account. when i decided to reactivate the tivo and add the packagae back to my account, that same night i connected the unit and dialed in. the call took a hour and a half and after restarting the unit it had upgraded the software. now unless directv sends these new software version to its entire subscriber base then the tivo activates it with the call, i still think the software comes through the phone.

also why would the tivo need to be connected for the entire call, why wouldnt the call just trigger the upgrade have the unit disconnect and then upgrade the units software? maybe some of you folks can answer these questions

Old 02-17-2005, 09:48 PM   #126 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

The software is streamed as part of the night download over the satellite and sits on your hard drive until told to be activated over the phone. It is only streamed during the nightly download for about a week or two and not every night. If your machine does not have the new software image sitting on the hard drive and is told to activate it with the phone call it will download it over the phone. If you hack your unit you can see when a new version of the software is downloaded. In fact the last time because a mistake by DirecTV my series 1 DirecTiVo downloaded all the images for all the DirecTiVos including series 2 machines. Since the series 1 was never told to activate the series 2 software it was not a problem. Before the 3.x release all software was done over the phone.

Old 02-17-2005, 09:51 PM   #127 (Print)
dtivofan23
TiVo addict

hmm sounds plausable. now how do you know all this info,and im not trying to be insulting or sarcastic, i really just wanna know.

Old 02-17-2005, 10:32 PM   #128 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtivofan23
hmm sounds plausable. now how do you know all this info,and im not trying to be insulting or sarcastic, i really just wanna know.
Many of the people on this board are in the industry.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #129 (Print)
bnm81002

there have been reports of people getting the 6.2 upgrade over at the other forum(DDB), anyone here has gotten it yet?

Old 02-17-2005, 10:51 PM   #130 (Print)
dtivofan23
TiVo addict

what other forum?

Old 02-17-2005, 10:54 PM   #131 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
what other forum?

deal data base

Old 02-18-2005, 07:02 AM   #132 (Print)
Martin Tupper
Not Actual Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnm81002
there have been reports of people getting the 6.2 upgrade over at the other forum(DDB), anyone here has gotten it yet?

Just the same (erroneous?) report from TecknoJunkie and another from someone who was beta tester.

Nothing to see here folks. Move along.

Old 02-18-2005, 10:21 AM   #133 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:

or they frequent the boards at at deal data base. There is alot of information over their because all hacking talk not involving theft is allowed. Here the hacking talk is somewhat restricted so the more serious hackers hang out other places.

For example- the other boards have been talkign about installing 4.0 for a year or maybe even 2. It was a banned subject on this board until a few weeks ago.
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 02:59 PM   #134 (Print)
DerekBalderson
Noob

my tivo usually knock sheculed call ack days back after I call in, but it has been set for Sat at 1:00 after 3 days of forced calling. does this mean something?
DerekBalderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #135 (Print)
loubol
There is no spoon!

Direct Tivo's get new software updates over satalite and are activated via a phone call as discussed many times in this forum. However if your software version is very old (say you've been disconnected for a few months, or restored an old image) upon your first phone call in it will download the lateset version over the phone line. I recently had a HD die and restored an old image to a new hard drive and upon the first call it dloaded the lateset software (which took over an hour).
loubol is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 04:03 PM   #136 (Print)
DerekBalderson
Noob

i know, could it want it to call in on Sat to activate it, because it has never done this before
DerekBalderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 04:45 PM   #137 (Print)
TeeVoo43
Information Hound

Can you force the call to start the download if you don't want to 'wait' for it?
TeeVoo43 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-24-2005, 05:01 PM   #138 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeVoo43
Can you force the call to start the download if you don't want to 'wait' for it?
No. As covered sevel times in this thread, each night a subset of the machines are randomly choosen to be bumped up to the new version of the software. After your machine has been randomly selected to run the new version of the software on the next phone call it will activate it. The rollout process can take two to three months. After the initial rollout period is done all machines including new machines that have not been activated will default to the "latest" version of the software.