July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2005, 08:26 AM   #1 (Print)
davidlem
n00b

Help w/ install and setup - R10

OK I'm moving to a townhouse next week and planning to replace my 2 year-old Samsung receiver with a DirecTiVo R10 model. The Samsung will move upstairs to the bedroom and the DVR will become the main receiver for the living room. Here's the complication - I can only run one single physical RG6 cable from the dish to the building. From what I've read I understand I'll need 3 connections for this setup (2xDVR, 1xSamsung). What combination of equipment (if any) would combine the LNB signals into a single coax and then allow me to divide it out once inside the building? What kind of quality hit could I expect.

I cannot modify the building (leasing) and it's only cabled for 'terrestrial' cable TV - I believe just a single cable from the ground connecting through the wall, into a splitter somewhere in the wall/attic and distributing to the 3 wall plates (mast b/r, 2nd b/r, living rm). I'd also have to work around the splitter somehow, if I can locate it.
davidlem is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-09-2005, 08:32 AM   #2 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

You are looking at needing to get a STACKER/DESTACKER combination system...

You will need set of stacker/destacker. About $300
Then a Multiswitch, to turn the destacked signal into 3 signals.
So about $350 worth of hardware.

You won't loose any Picture Quality, but you will only see channels on the 101 SAT. Stacking can't not access the other two SATs at this time.

So if you can only run 1 cable in from the dish... This is your only choice.
Check with your home owners association to find out the actual restrictions.
Unless they are "forcing" you to use the existing cable (which they really can't do), there is no real reason why you can run all three that you need.

Three cables, coesn't take "that" much more space then 1.. Especialy if you zip-tie them together, and paint the cables to match the exterior of the home.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #3 (Print)
davidlem
n00b

Thanks for the reply, and great review of the R10!

The problem isn't that the HOA specifically won't allow more than one cable, but that there's only one connection and a hole with a physical diameter that wont fit more than a single coax cable - and they don't allow physical modification to the exterior.

Question - with a single sat connection to the R10, what would be the limitations? I assume I'd be happy to record one show and watch another. I expect that to be my normal use.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #4 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlem

The problem isn't that the HOA specifically won't allow more than one cable, but that there's only one connection and a hole with a physical diameter that wont fit more than a single coax cable - and they don't allow physical modification to the exterior.

Question - with a single sat connection to the R10, what would be the limitations? I assume I'd be happy to record one show and watch another. I expect that to be my normal use.
But like many, the HOA may be in violation of FCC regulations. If so, you can contest, and, ultimately, ignore it.

Do a little research.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-09-2005, 09:25 AM   #5 (Print)
davidlem
n00b

You guys are getting me all pumped up. I'll go out there with a hammer drill and a concrete bit and set this problem straight! But I think I should ask the HOA some questions beforehand. Thanks for the tips.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:36 AM   #6 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlem

With a SINGLE cable hooked to the R10, you will just get one tuner.
BUT with your setup... A Single cable would mean, only ONE box... either the Samsung or the DTivo

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #7 (Print)
classicsat
Astute User

You could do this:

Stacker at dish (you would only be able to get 101 BTW).

Replace existing splitter with 2 Ghz 2-way, one going to LR, other to BR.
If the Samsung does not have a "wideband" option in the menus, you need a single output destacker for it.
You get a dual destacker for the LR DVR.

classicsat is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 09-26-2005, 08:02 AM   #8 (Print)
davidlem
n00b

Well DTV came out and installed the dish an 2 receivers this weekend, said they didn't have an R10 so we scheduled the 'upgrade' for next weekend. This guy did the worst job possible. He broke the wood siding with the ladder, trampled bushes, cut through roots, left dirt everywhere, didn't use the plastic doohickeys that the cable goes through on either side of the wall, left debris everywhere, installed the pole way off tilt, and left the 2 cables above the dirt for all to see. I can't believe he gets paid to do this for a living. Also, he said he couldn't run a second cable parallel to the one going to the living room (where the DirecTivo will be installed next weekend) unless I wanted to pay $105. Then when I asked if the next installer will run another cable next weekend for the DirecTivo, he said he'll probably just tap into the line running to the bedroom. So now I've got to clean up after this guy. Maybe I'll wait to re-plant what he dug up and trampled until after the next guy leaves. Definately a bad experience.
Old 10-03-2005, 07:59 AM   #9 (Print)
davidlem
n00b

In yet another feat of miserable failure, another DTV installer came out this Saturday to upgrade me to the DVR service. Apparently he was training a complete newbie also, how fun. So if this guy is skilled enough to teach someone new, certainly he's capable of a professional install...right? Negative, Houston. He installed a 2x4 non-powered multiswitch outside before the cables come in. Then he drilled a second hole into the living room about 2" from the first hole. Up until now I had uniformly white RG6 cable inside and out. Of course he had to mix things up and use only black RG6. Again this guy didnt use the plastic doohickeys that slip into both sides of the wall to keep debris and bugs out - instead after the install he shot a load of bathroom sealer caulk into the holes. He went through the DirecTivo first-time setup but was only getting 80% of the way through one of the last steps. "Dont know why it does that", he says, then procedes to the end of the setup and tunes into a local channel. "Looks fine now". Then he takes the box and leaves his mess of spare RG6, clipped ends, and wall dust behind.

When I finally get to sit down to check out my latest toy, I realize half the channels dont work. Fun. I goto the signal meter and only the odd transponders are working. Evens are zilch. Very frustrating. So I do some searching in these forums and come to the conclusion that it's probably cabling, dish pointing, or receiver tuner troubles - possibly even in that order. I go get a look at the multiswitch and it looks fine, all connections are tight. Move the dish around, no change. Switch cables on the tuners, same problem. After lunch I go have another look-see at the multiswitch. Hmm one of the input cables looks a little odd where the connector slips over the shielding. Give it a wiggle and it comes off in my hand! Great, so he didnt attach the connector to the cable at all. No wonder the setup was having trouble! Now its working perfect. But DTV really needs to pay more and attract some higher-quality installers. These last two guys have been jokes!