Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2004, 04:57 PM   #61 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

It will be a lot easier getting $99 back for the HD receiver than the $399.

Old 01-05-2004, 05:23 PM   #62 (Print)
RMSko

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Pieces
I love TiVo as much as the rest of you. I have had it since the 2nd month it was on the market, have it in everu room in the house, and love it. What alot of you are missing on the HD receiver deal is the price point. HD TiVo is VERY expensive to the average Joe. Most people don't drop $900 on a toy like HDTiVo. I know I will have an HD TiVo the minute I see one for sale and IN STOCK. But I am not the average consumer when it comes to toys like this. (I love living on the bleeding edge of tech!)

I'm sure the ebay price of HD receivers will drop some when HD TiVo comes out but I agree with the earlier poster that you will still AT LEAST be able to get your $99.00 back.

Don't you think that there is some possibility that DTV will offer some deal to its long-term customers for the HD TiVo and if they do you would not be eligible if you take advantage of this deal???

Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
RMSko is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 05:40 PM   #63 (Print)
Mr Pieces
TiVo Junkie

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Pieces Send a message via AIM to Mr Pieces
Quote:
Originally posted by RMSko
Don't you think that there is some possibility that DTV will offer some deal to its long-term customers for the HD TiVo and if they do you would not be eligible if you take advantage of this deal???

This is basically a RETENTION deal. It is not some special deal for the average guy who calls in. I had to get it by selecting the cancel DTV option on the phone. That is how I got the retention dept. I hope there are great deals for HD Tivo but I would doubt they will come at the begining.

(1) HR10-250 HD TiVo (63 Hours HD)
(2) DSR 6000 Philips DirecTivo's (both 86 Hours)
(1) HDVR2 DirecTiVo (105 Hours)
Mr Pieces is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 05:46 PM   #64 (Print)
RDRams

Just got the HD deal

I just called and got the HD recvr/dish/install for a total net of $109 (399 + 25 shipping + 35 taxes less a $350 credit). I only mentioned that E and Comcast were really offering some great incentives to entice me away from D. The CSR said let me make you an offer and see what you think, I said lets hear it. I have been a D customer for 18 months. It was too good to pass up, I had to do it. I had to commit to 1 year of D but no commit to HD pkg. Also got 6 free months of Showtime and 6 months of HBO for $2/month. Tried to get the OTA HD but they said it would not work here. Thanks for the tip, I never would have known.

I am in the Nashville, TN market.

Last edited by RDRams : 01-05-2004 at 11:37 PM.
RDRams is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 06:05 PM   #65 (Print)
Panchovilla

Thanks to the info in this forum I got the $99.00 deal too. The retention CSR didn't hesitate offering it when he looked at my account record and could see I had been subscribed since 12/94 and always with the most complete programming package they offer. As far as resale of this HD receiver when HD Tivo comes out I don't think it will be a problem to get at least 200.00 to 300.00 because it has OTA capabilities so a buyer doesn't have to be a DTV subscriber to enjoy HDTV.

JVC SVHS VCR, RCA DVD
Pioneer VSX C100-S A/V Receiver
OFA URC6131 Remote
DTV Subscriber since 12/94
Panchovilla is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 07:11 PM   #66 (Print)
katkison

I tried, but was denied by the retention CSR. I will have to try calling again.

Kelly
katkison is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 07:51 PM   #67 (Print)
Vin

Quote:
You guys are great. I just called and they are crediting my account for $357.87 which also covers the s&h I paid for the unit. Total cost $99. Fantastic

OK Jim, try relaxing that smile a little bit before you hurt yourself!

Congrats on the refund!

Vin
Vin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 08:39 PM   #68 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

Yeah, my mother used to tell me that if I left my face like that it would get stuck.

Anyway, that $358 is going into the bank, so to speak, for the HDTiVo.

BTW, at the time of the original order, I also got the $20 off Premier for 6 months promotion.

Old 01-05-2004, 09:16 PM   #69 (Print)
GDN

What a great deal - just got off the phone - should have mine on Thursday afternoon. I got a great CSR (Steve) - he looked at the account - had no problem making me the offer, didn't even make up any stories - just told him I was looking for HD the cheapest way I could get it. I've had an HD TV for 2 years, Directivo for 1 and have been waiting on a price break on an HD receiver - pretty excited about getting this kind of deal. Even if HD Tivos are on the shelf in 3 months - I can't imagine taking one home in any fashion with discounts and retention bonuses for less than $300 to $400 in the first year. I'll more than enjoy my plain HD box and make back the $99 for the plain HD receiver before I decided its time to spend that kind of money on an HD Tivo.

I was able to get the over the air antenna as well for the area I live in, included - didn't even ask - he just told me it was available for certain areas and it would just be an addtional $50 charged to the credit card, but I'd get it back. The CSR explained that regardless of the total price on the deal - my DirecTV credit would equal the total amount of the deal minus $99 - my cost to get the receiver, antennae and installation. The installer will get a sweet deal coming to my house as well - all the work has been done - triple LNB dish, 5*8 multiswitch and all wiring already in place. So its throw the anteanna on the dish and plug in the box. He did make it sound like the anteanna they are including fits on the dish - don't think I've seen one of those for HD - so will have to research it a little bit.

I've researched a little on the two different possibilities of the boxes - Hughes HTLHD or Samsung SIR-TS160 - it looks like the Samsung has caller ID, Hughes doesn't - but otherwise probably not much difference other than the the Samsung appears to retail for about $100 more than the Hughes. Anyone have any experience with either of these boxes?

Last edited by GDN : 01-05-2004 at 11:41 PM.
GDN is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 10:09 PM   #70 (Print)
steel6

Send a message via AIM to steel6
Got the $300 rebate but had to fuss through 3 reps and 30 minutes of hold time. Well worth the trouble and now I will have the lines all run when the HD-Tivo comes out. I was also told that the OTA was not available in my area (northern VA). Thanks to all who have spread the gospel on this one.

Panasonic DMR-E50k
Harmony SST-658
Harmony SST-688
Samsung HLN467W
Harman Kardon AVR-525
Slimp3 Squeezebox
steel6 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 10:45 PM   #71 (Print)
tivolovit

Can you post if you got the OTA or not?

And regardless of answer add what your area is (if you are willing) and if you asked for one or not. I would like to compile a list to see if DirecTV is trying to pull a fast one on some of us. I know, I know, it is already a good deal but I am just curious if some in the same area were told different things. If you have already posted and will just edit one of your previous posts in this thread that would be great, and keep the length of the post down.

BTW- Houston, TX. I asked...they said not available in my area.

Thanks,

RCA DVR-39 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Hughes SD-DVR40 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Lifetime TiVo Subscription

Last edited by tivolovit : 01-05-2004 at 11:09 PM.
tivolovit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 10:53 PM   #72 (Print)
G_S_O_D
go climb ice

question:

I've got a directivo unit. If I get this for $99 do I have to pay a "mirror" charge for the extra reciever? All I really want it for is to get OTA HD...will this work (even if I have to buy my own antenna)???

Old 01-05-2004, 10:54 PM   #73 (Print)
steel6

Send a message via AIM to steel6
TiVoloVit

I did ask for the OTA and was told no go. Location is Reston VA (20194).

Panasonic DMR-E50k
Harmony SST-658
Harmony SST-688
Samsung HLN467W
Harman Kardon AVR-525
Slimp3 Squeezebox
steel6 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 11:18 PM   #74 (Print)
tivolovit

Yes it will work for ONLY OTA!

Quote:
Originally posted by G_S_O_D
question:

I've got a directivo unit. If I get this for $99 do I have to pay a "mirror" charge for the extra reciever? All I really want it for is to get OTA HD...will this work (even if I have to buy my own antenna)???

But if you get the Hughes HTL-HD it does not have an OTA signal meter (a point of contention for many who own it) which CAN/MAY make it difficult to tune your stations in. It is not impossible but as I said MAY make it more difficult.

RCA DVR-39 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Hughes SD-DVR40 DirecTiVo 35 Hours
Lifetime TiVo Subscription
tivolovit is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-05-2004, 11:36 PM   #75 (Print)
G_S_O_D
go climb ice

Sweet...I'm in for sure. Gonna call tomorrow.

Old 01-06-2004, 12:49 AM   #76 (Print)
Mr Pieces
TiVo Junkie

I got OTA Antenna added for Scottsdale, AZ 85255.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:43 AM   #77 (Print)
RMSko

Re: Yes it will work for ONLY OTA!

Quote:
Originally posted by tivolovit
But if you get the Hughes HTL-HD it does not have an OTA signal meter (a point of contention for many who own it) which CAN/MAY make it difficult to tune your stations in. It is not impossible but as I said MAY make it more difficult.

How would you pick up the OTA channels then (i.e., the HD locals are not part of DTV's package)? Does the Samsung model have an OTA signal meter?

Also, if you don't activate the receiver and want to use it just for the locals, will it work?

Does anyone know what DTV's reasoning is for why some areas are eligible for the OTA antenna and some are not?

Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
Old 01-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #78 (Print)
Mose

You guys are the greatest! Called yesterday and got the deal on the first try, including OTA antenna and 6 months of free Showtime. Now I just have to return my OTA stand alone Samsung that I bought over the weekend. Hooray for saving money!
Mose is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 10:16 AM   #79 (Print)
katkison

The second time I called, I was offered the $199 deal, as I have been a customer for 21 months. I asked to think about the deal before I committed. I called back this morning and asked if there was anything that could be done, since I am only 3 months short of two years, and ended up with additional savings of HBO free for 6 months and a $6 credit on service for 6 months, bringing my deal closer to the $99 deal.

Oh, and tivolovit, I could not get the OTA antenna for Houston either. The CSR said she did not know why, the computer just tells them one way or the other. Dallas was available, though.

The installer is coming on Monday afternoon, but the equipment will be here on Thursday.

Kelly
katkison is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 10:52 AM   #80 (Print)
RMSko

Quote:
Originally posted by G_S_O_D
question:

Not only will you have to pay the $5 mirror charge, you will also have to pay $10.99/month for HD programming. A 1 year commitment to HD programming is part of the deal.

Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
Old 01-06-2004, 11:19 AM   #81 (Print)
G_S_O_D
go climb ice

I thought people were getting this deal without having to commit to the HD programming...

Old 01-06-2004, 12:26 PM   #82 (Print)
bnormal

Columbus, Ohio...no OTA
bnormal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 12:28 PM   #83 (Print)
Marc

Way cool!

I got in for the $99 + tax + S&H deal, too, including OTA (Los Angeles area). Plus, they'll be including a 4x8 multiswitch since I have two DirecTiVos using my existing 4 outputs from my already-triple LNB dish.

They'll be out Thursday morning to run the new line(s) and hook up the new receiver.

Thanks for the pointer!
Marc is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 01:00 PM   #84 (Print)
2Curious

I'm in Scottsdale (85255) and got the OTA as well. I had to ask for it, but they originally told me I was ineligible because only Phoenix was covered.

Additionally, I was told it was only a 12 month committment to a Total Choice programming package > $40, not to 12 months of HD programming at $10.99.

1 Sony SAT-T60 (35 Hours)
2 DirecTV R10 (70 Hours)
1 Samsung SIR-TS160
2Curious is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 01:02 PM   #85 (Print)
RMSko

Westfield, NJ - OTA antenna

Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
Old 01-06-2004, 01:47 PM   #86 (Print)
battrl

So since there's no HD programming commitment and since I already have a DirecTiVo, is there anything stopping me from cancelling DirecTV on the second receiver and using it for OTA HD reception?
battrl is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 01:56 PM   #87 (Print)
RMSko

Quote:
Originally posted by battrl
So since there's no HD programming commitment and since I already have a DirecTiVo, is there anything stopping me from cancelling DirecTV on the second receiver and using it for OTA HD reception?

The rep that I spoke with read me something that says there IS a HD programming commitment. You may want to check that out.

Philips DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTiVo Series 1
Hughes DTivo Series 2
Philips Standalone
Old 01-06-2004, 02:01 PM   #88 (Print)
JimSpence
Finally own HR10-250

For my original deal, there was a 1 year committment to the $10.99 HD package and the web site says for at least TC package as well. When I called about the new $99 deal I didn't ask about the OTA option. I don't really want ot press my luck. At the time of the original order I didn't know whether I could get OTA anyway. I have a big RS antenna up now. I may need it to try to get out of city HD for the Super Bowl.

Old 01-06-2004, 03:42 PM   #89 (Print)
jgdiablo

OTA Antenna

I got the deal but no OTA antenna - I'm 36 miles from tower according to AntennaWeb. My guess is you have to be within 10 miles of the tower to get it since I think they provide the clip-on Terk to get OTA. Anything further requires a standard antenna.
jgdiablo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-06-2004, 03:49 PM   #90 (Print)
Mr Pieces
TiVo Junkie

I am getting this deal installed tomorrow (Wednesday) with the OTA Antenna. Anyone know what OTA Antenna they will install? Hope it isn't a Terk!