TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2004, 10:07 PM   #181 (Print)
RightHere

I called earlier this week to get the deal. I spoke with the installer folks today since I didn't get anything via fedex and my install is scheduled for tomorrow. She read the work order to me and they will be bringing the dish/receiver with them (and also an OTA antenna which the CSR never mentioned to me...I probably don't need it, but may try it for the heck of it). So they aren't shipping them to everyone.

I think the DTV subcontractor doing the install is Ironwood? They are based in the Mountain time zone somewhere (I'm in Seattle).

I also put my request in for the HTL-HD over the Samsung, figuring it can't hurt to ask/beg
RightHere is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-09-2004, 11:14 PM   #182 (Print)
RonP

Quote:
Originally posted by kas25
I have 3 tuners so I assume I should get at least 3 lines into the house. Each line should be switched into 2 to take to each of the 3 tivos. Will this give me a better set up than having one line swithced into 6 lines?

If you have three D* TiVo's then you have six tuners (two per). You can't "switch" each line into two. For a proper installation you'll need a 4x8 or 5x8 cascadeable multiswitch connecting to the four outputs on the dish and then run two lines from the multiswitch to each TiVo. You'll have two extra outputs on the multiswitch for future expansion.

Old 01-10-2004, 01:05 AM   #183 (Print)
2Curious

I had a similar issue to RightHere. I was told by D* that the receiver & dish would be shipped via Fedex. After trying to get the tracking number when they didn't show up, I was told the installer will be bringing with them.

The install is set for tomorrow afternoon, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

1 Sony SAT-T60 (35 Hours)
2 DirecTV R10 (70 Hours)
1 Samsung SIR-TS160
2Curious is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 04:19 AM   #184 (Print)
GDN

Install complete

I got my new HD box and OTA antenna installed tonight. When all is said and done - I'm happy and it will all works well - but the installer was new - he knew a lot and tried hard - but still made it harder than it had to be - but part of that is DirecTV's fault.

To start with - I got the same equipment as mentioned by others - Samsung SIR-TS160, got lucky - this is the one I wanted, and the antenna is the Winegard Sensar GS1000 - about 45 inches long, looks like an airplane wing - and mounts about 3 feet on top of the dish with an extension pole - kind of odd looking, I'll try to take a pic tomorrow and post it. In the Dallas area the installer is a big company and they do their own stock - so my equipment came from their stock - it wasn't sent direct from DTV.

For the credit debate - when I ordered, the CSR explained in detail that the total cost was a little over $500 - but I would receive bill credit for all but $99 - regardless of the final costs, not to my CC. He also explained that the only requirement on the 1 year committment was a base package - not the HD package - I've read conflicting information - but he said it was only a base package. When we activated the receiver tonight - the CSR said as well it wasn't required, but of course recommended it so I could get more stations than just off the air - I had planned on it - so its not a big deal now unless I want to cancel it later.

The install - I already had an 18*24 3 LNB dish and 5*8 non-cascadable multiswitch as well as already had the cable run where it needed to be. I should have never let the installer touch a thing - but he said it wouldn't take him long and he wanted to do it. While he was good and somewhat knowledgeable - he didn't understand a non-cascadable multiswitch.

DirecTV sent a new 18*20 dish with the integrated multiswitch, I didn't know this was coming since I told them at order time I already had one, but I thought cool - if they want to send it - I'll take it - never know when a friend will want one or something, just stick it in the garage. The installer insisted on installing it, this is where the problems started. He said I'd have better luck with the newer style dish and it would get a stronger signal, that it performed better. My signal is already between 85 and 95 on all transponders - I didn't understand why. Anyway - I finally gave in - but told him about the non-cascadable multiswitch - he was 100% convinced it wouldn't be a problem.

Well - the quick part of that story is - of course the multiswitch was a problem since the new dish has one built in. I was lucky - he had a new Zinwell 4*8 that will cascade with him. He didn't have any choice but to use it to make things work - he said he'd have to add it to the work order - I told him fine - I'd deal with DirecTV - they started the mess by sending the new dish when it wasn't needed, so they can eat the cost of the new multiswitch as well. So its all installed, new dish, new multiswitch, receiver, anteanna and all looks good.

A little more about the antenna - I'm very impressed. I'm about 30 miles from all of the antennas in Dallas (per www.antennaweb.org) I'm getting a very good signal on all of the digital stations - in the range of 90 to 92%. I've looked at the antenna on line and looks like it retails between $30 and $60. Its much cheaper than I thought I'd end up having to buy someday to get a good signal this far away.

Old 01-10-2004, 09:22 AM   #185 (Print)
linetest

Thanks! I just stumbled across this thread and called. Sales offered $399 + Ship. Asked to be transferred to retention. Asked CSR about the deal, and thankfully, he was aware of it. So, I get the receiver, new multswitch, two cable runs for $99 after credit to DTV account. They said the OTA attenna was not available for my zip code (?). So I'll have to go buy one and connect it myself. Anyone know of a good omnidirectional antenna? I have a TV mast mounted on the house with no antenna. What I've read is I can run the coax over to the DTV dish and use a diplexer so I don't need another wire run into the house, correct? Can someone point me to a FAQ or diagram/ Thanks all. I was contemplating spending $300-$400 for a receiver from CC. Now I have it for $99 and someone else doing the install to boot!
It's not a Tivo, but I will sit through a few commercials for the quality I guess. Wife said she'd kill me if I got rid of the Tivo. I said not to worry, they will both coexist.
linetest is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 09:40 AM   #186 (Print)
teasip

GDN, glad to hear it worked out ok for you. I'm in Plano and have wondered about the quality of the antenna hooked to the dish since my house faces south (1 story) and the dish is attached to the trim of the house over the garage door and sticks up over the north edge of the roof (roof would be in the way for direct line of site for OTA signals). I may want to try one if I can find it locally. I had received beautiful signals with a traditional antenna on my chimney but would prefer not to have to put it back up if possible.
teasip is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 10:27 AM   #187 (Print)
Fezmid

Re: Install complete

Quote:
Originally posted by GDN
Well - the quick part of that story is - of course the multiswitch was a problem since the new dish has one built in. I was lucky - he had a new Zinwell 4*8 that will cascade with him. He didn't have any choice but to use it to make things work - he said he'd have to add it to the work order - I told him fine - I'd deal with DirecTV - they started the mess by sending the new dish when it wasn't needed, so they can eat the cost of the new multiswitch as well. So its all installed, new dish, new multiswitch, receiver, anteanna and all looks good.

I think I'm still a bit confused on this part. You have a 4x8 multiswitch now, but what are you doing with your HD signal? Do you just have the cable run directly to the receiver?

Right now, I'm only going to have HD in my basement, but in the future I can see having it in my living room. So I'm confused on how to get the signal to both places if I don't use the multiswitch. Also, someone said that you'll lose some signal quality with the multiswitch -- so is it really that much better to not use it?

CW
Fezmid is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 10:33 AM   #188 (Print)
Vin

Quote:
What I've read is I can run the coax over to the DTV dish and use a diplexer so I don't need another wire run into the house, correct?

Assuming you'll only need the OTA signal to one location and based on the fact that you'd prefer not to run a separate line for it, diplexers will work fine.

You mentioned that you'll be getting a MS with your install which you will need if you plan on feeding more than 4 tuners.....a cascadable 4x8 or 5x8 is what you'll need.

To bring the OTA signal to one location you just need to connect one of the outputs from the cascadable MS to the sat input of a diplexer and the OTA feed will connect to the ant input, then they're separated back out at the receiver with another diplexer.

Connecting the OTA line into the ant input of a 5x8 cascadable MS (instead of using the diplexer at the dish end) will also work and would allow the OTA signal to be carried by all 8 outputs of the MS but MAY also result in an unacceptable amount of signal loss.

Vin
Vin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #189 (Print)
GDN

Re: Re: Install complete

Quote:
Originally posted by Fezmid
I think I'm still a bit confused on this part. You have a 4x8 multiswitch now, but what are you doing with your HD signal? Do you just have the cable run directly to the receiver?

Right now, I'm only going to have HD in my basement, but in the future I can see having it in my living room. So I'm confused on how to get the signal to both places if I don't use the multiswitch. Also, someone said that you'll lose some signal quality with the multiswitch -- so is it really that much better to not use it?

CW

Yes - my Antenna signal is run directly to the HD box. The tech didn't want to diplex it - he said the same thing - would lose some quality. Plus after using the new multiswitch it didn't have an antenna input like the old one did - so it would have required a diplexer on each end instead of just plugging it into the old 5*8 multiswitch.

I also thought about future needs - but I'm doing some remodeling in the areas I'd want future HD signals - so I figure I'll end up just running more cable and splitting that signal - use an amp if required and keep the OTA signal separate from Directv's.

Old 01-10-2004, 10:57 AM   #190 (Print)
Fezmid

Re: Re: Re: Install complete

Quote:
Originally posted by GDN
I also thought about future needs - but I'm doing some remodeling in the areas I'd want future HD signals - so I figure I'll end up just running more cable and splitting that signal - use an amp if required and keep the OTA signal separate from Directv's.

Ahh, so you can use a splitter on OTA signals? That would make my needs very easy, as my living room is right above my theater area in the basement. Thanks for clearing that up!

CW
Old 01-10-2004, 11:11 AM   #191 (Print)
Greenwing
Can't beat HDTV

Just called...

Got the $300 credit deal on first try...

No OTA option for the Atlanta Ga area...30263 zip code...

Total cost was 453.63 charged to my credit card...

Then a $300.00 credit was applied back to my DTV account, not back to credit card...

No mention of any kind as far as a committment for continuing HDTV...

End result was $153.63 for the receiver, dish, multi-switch, and install which includes relocating my existing HD receiver...

EXCELLENT DEAL !!!
Greenwing is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 04:22 PM   #192 (Print)
dmk1974

If I have a Hughes E-86 box now, is it worth it to take this deal to upgrade to the new Hughes box or the Samsung? From what I can tell, the new Hughes box does not have caller id, OTA signal strength meter, or a turbo tune feature. What is the new model's upside?

dmk1974 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 09:10 PM   #193 (Print)
eswanborg

Got the deal installed today. The HD signal is amazing! Very happy.

However, be aware that unless you specifiy with DTV ahead of time, the installer will NOT run any new lines from the dish. I believe that if you tell them it's a new location they will, but if you're just "swapping out" a current receiver, any new cable is a "custom install" which they will not cover.

Took a little convincing to get the installer to do what I wanted - because he didn't really understand how the LNB signal works - but otherwise - VERY happy.

Hockey in HD is incredible!

Thanks again to everyone here for making this deal known.
eswanborg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 10:00 PM   #194 (Print)
kas25

Quote:
Originally posted by eswanborg
Got the deal installed today. The HD signal is amazing! Very happy.

However, be aware that unless you specifiy with DTV ahead of time, the installer will NOT run any new lines from the dish. I believe that if you tell them it's a new location they will, but if you're just "swapping out" a current receiver, any new cable is a "custom install" which they will not cover.

Took a little convincing to get the installer to do what I wanted - because he didn't really understand how the LNB signal works - but otherwise - VERY happy.

Hockey in HD is incredible!

Thanks again to everyone here for making this deal known.

I have an install Wednesday and I am worried about that as well. Just so I can explain to them intelligently, what is the advantage or running more than one line to the multiswitch? I was planning on asking them to all three lines to the multiswitch because I assume the more the better the signal. Is that true? Do you think they should charge me or is it a matter of getting the performance out of the dish?
kas25 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 10:02 PM   #195 (Print)
jillker

Thumbs down

wow, I'm sure directv is surprised at the number of disgruntled customers out there looking to jump ship.
jillker is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 10:14 PM   #196 (Print)
Jergis

Hey, have any new customer's been able to pull of this deal? Or is this only for old time established clientle?
Jergis is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-10-2004, 10:55 PM   #197 (Print)
Fezmid

Quote:
Originally posted by eswanborg

When I signed up, they asked me if it was a new receiver or replacing an old one.

I don't see how they could get away with not installing new cables though, if you're upgrading from a round to an oval. I think you may have gotten an installer who was trying to get out of some work...

I'm looking forward to watching football in HD next weekend... My wife will be happy about watching the Wild in HD too I think
CW
Old 01-10-2004, 11:07 PM   #198 (Print)
hoopsbwc34
Unpaid Tivo Salesman

Send a message via AIM to hoopsbwc34
I have "moved" to get the national feeds, but the install of the dish needs to be at my service address. I asked if I could have the install done at my billing address as a "second" location I could use the receiver, and the CSR said it can't be done. Anyone in the same situation been successful with this deal? I don't want to have to "move" back to billing and be without my networks until the install...
hoopsbwc34 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2004, 02:31 AM   #199 (Print)
eswanborg

Quote:
Originally posted by Fezmid

I don't see how they could get away with not installing new cables though, if you're upgrading from a round to an oval. I think you may have gotten an installer who was trying to get out of some work...

First off - yes he was trying to get done as quickly as he could, to go to the other three installs his company had booked him on today. He came to me first, because on the surface this was an easy dish swap and receiver swap, with no "real" work involved.

When I spoke with DTV their comment was, that since this was replacing a current receiver they didn't need new cables, so they didn't write it into the work order. The dish has a built in multiswitch, so the two cables I already had run into the house would work - according to their thinking. Which on a VERY basic level is true. It got messy with my set up though because I had the old dish feeding a 5x8 MS (with just the two lines), which in turn sent stacked signals through the house to other MS as well as using my own in-house distribution with IR on coax.

Frankly for me, it wound up being easier to just pay him part of what he wanted and get the wires run, than sit on the phone with DTV and try to explain everything. As it was, I knew a lot more than the installer about how everything works. He did a nice job though, so I'm pretty pleased. I think if I had said this was a new location, they would have paid for cable runs, and the installer would have planned accordingly. The trick was that his paperwork said nothing about cable, so of course, he wanted to charge for it (which frustrates me, but I understand).

Now I can't wait for the "real" networks to get HD on the satellite. Wonder when CBS will start showing up...
eswanborg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2004, 09:40 AM   #200 (Print)
bnormal

Mine was installed on Friday. The installer replaced my 2lnb with the 3lnb, ran 2 new lines from the sat and installed a 4x8 multiswitch without question and at no additional fee. Of course I made sure to tell dtv exactly what I wanted done when I was signing up for this promo in the first place.

The installer was very professional and a very nice guy. I even asked him for a 6' rg-6 patch cable which he gave me for free.

I really felt bad for the guy because it was freezing out and it ended up taking him about 3 hours (probably because his hands were frozen).

I ended up giving him a $20 for doing a good job!
bnormal is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2004, 10:17 AM   #201 (Print)
francismaximus

I got the 99 dollar deal and I am one happy camper. Add a DVD recorder to the mix and for 3 weeks no I have been burning awesome DVD movies! PPV I just purchace, record, then burn. 99 bucks got me the Tivo reciever they moved one reciever to the bedroom (only had two in the house) added all wiring for the project and ran a phone line from my phone box out side to the reciver in the basement since I never had the phone hooked up before all for 99$ plus shipping. My sister is crying cause she spent the 399$ Anyways great deal!! I hate cable!!
francismaximus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2004, 12:46 PM   #202 (Print)
kas25

Quote:
Originally posted by francismaximus
I got the 99 dollar deal and I am one happy camper. Add a DVD recorder to the mix and for 3 weeks no I have been burning awesome DVD movies! PPV I just purchace, record, then burn. 99 bucks got me the Tivo reciever they moved one reciever to the bedroom (only had two in the house) added all wiring for the project and ran a phone line from my phone box out side to the reciver in the basement since I never had the phone hooked up before all for 99$ plus shipping. My sister is crying cause she spent the 399$ Anyways great deal!! I hate cable!!

i couldnt burn pay per views. they came out blank. did you go through a computer?
Old 01-11-2004, 01:42 PM   #203 (Print)
francismaximus

I just used the save to vcr command and have the dvd recorder on the ext 2 connector which is a straight s-video connector
francismaximus is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2004, 06:01 PM   #204 (Print)
Harbingar

Send a message via AIM to Harbingar Send a message via Yahoo to Harbingar
I just called and got all confused.....

I spoke with a woman and she said it was based on length of time with DirecTv and since I have only been with them a year and a half it would end up costing me $199 instead of the $99. Also, she said that DirecTv does not send out 8-way Switches anymore. I asked if I have two DirecTv with TiVo receivers, which is 4 Lnb's, then how could the installer hook it up? She said maybe the installer would charge me for a 8-way. This makes no sense to me since I got my stuff through DirecTv and even have the protection plan. Anyone know what she was talking about and how I could get an 8-way for free? Thanks!

Old 01-11-2004, 06:03 PM   #205 (Print)
gadgetinspector

Arrow $99 HD offer locations?

The good news:

I called first try and got through to a good CSR who immediately provided me with the offer as described.

The bad news:

While the offered set-top-box will support OTA, DirecTV doesn't yet offer it in my area. Can't buy the OTA antenna from them, and they won't install it for free. Evidently the offer started out in 5 cities, and is now at 10. Sounds to me like they are doing a gradual rollout of HD OTA to get their installers trained?

It would be helpful if installed HD customers of this offer would respond with their city / zip code to alert the other forum members what those 10 cities are that DirecTV supports with HD OTA in this offer.

Additionally, it would help if happy HD customers could talk about their wiring. Did you start with one LNB feed, or two? How many wires did they ultimately have runing to your set-top-box. 2? 3? 4? etc.
gadgetinspector is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-11-2004, 06:45 PM   #206 (Print)
kas25

Quote:
Originally posted by francismaximus
I just used the save to vcr command and have the dvd recorder on the ext 2 connector which is a straight s-video connector

Thats what i tried on my sony. What format or shouldnt that matter??
Old 01-11-2004, 07:04 PM   #207 (Print)
G_S_O_D
go climb ice

just saw this on another forum regarding the Hughes HTL-HD and OTA signal meter:

A little change to my earlier post concernig the OTA meter on the Hughes HTL-HD. If you have the 1.07 software, press the menu button-select system-select system info-select general info, to see if you have the 1.07. If you do, you will have the OTA meter function by just pushing the pause button on ANY channel selected. OTA, or SAT.

cool...

Old 01-12-2004, 01:31 AM   #208 (Print)
GDN

I'm in Dallas 75248 - about 30 miles from the broadcast towers of the DFW stations - got the antenna as previously mentioned from DirecTV as part of the deal - its the Winegard Sensar GS1000 (non powered) - very clear day in Dallas today I was getting 100% signal meter on the stations. Here are a couple of pictures of the install. It was dark when the installer put it up on Friday night - so I'll be honest - I don't know if the extension pole and bracket for the antenna came with it or if he/DirecTV supplied it separately - he just brought it from his truck out of the box.

Old 01-12-2004, 01:47 AM   #209 (Print)
RightHere

Wow. That is fugly. But I guess if it works it works

I thought someone else posted that the antenna they got was just a little cheapie clip-on. I don't think the HOA here would approve of something that looks like the Mars rover sitting on my deck, so I hope my installer brings a smaller one.
RightHere is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 01-12-2004, 01:52 AM   #210 (Print)
GDN

Quote:
Originally posted by RightHere
Wow. That is fugly. But I guess if it works it works

I thought someone else posted that the antenna they got was just a little cheapie clip-on. I don't think the HOA here would approve of something that looks like the Mars rover sitting on my deck, so I hope my installer brings a smaller one.

Yeah - I don't disagree - it looks pretty strange and ugly - and I assume I'll get questions from neighbors - but I don't ever really see it - its toward the back of the house near the garage - my neighbors will see it a lot more than I - right from their pool. When researching this antenna it is also pretty cheap just $30 to $60 depending on location - but it is doing an excellent job of brining in the signal from about 30 miles away.