TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-23-2004, 08:06 PM   #121 (Print)
bnm81002

I think it ends on Dec 31, as long as you place the order by then, install can be anytime after the 31st
bnm81002 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-24-2004, 12:49 AM   #122 (Print)
forteDiva

Quote:
Originally posted by su_A_ve
a) The install will be free
b) Moving the existing receiver to a new location... Put it this way, if you currently have the DTivo on the LR, but now want the new one on the FR AND the old one on the MB, the answer would be NO. They idea is to replace an existing receiver, and then move the old one to a different location. That would be free

c) The Tivo Service fee is $4.99 for the whole account, regardless of how many DTivos you have. (Waived with Premium package). The additional DTivo receiver would incurr the $4.99 additional receiver fee though.

The work order would have to state move one ird to another location-I did that, I had Tivo in living room, and ordered another one for my bedroom, wanted to move the other Tivo to my daughter's room. This mean 2 new wires in her room and 1 more wire in mine (she didn't have DTV in her room) I got a powered multi switch upgrade for free since I would now have 2 tivos and 2 standard irds. All I paid was the $49 for the Tivo! And the tech was nice enough to put the standard from my room into the living room even though it wasn't on the work order!
forteDiva is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-24-2004, 12:39 PM   #123 (Print)
Nutter
Learner

Thumbs up 2nd DTV-Tivo unit for free

Calling my phone company (SBC) on a billing problem, they offered me a deal on DishNW. I turned it down (too good to be true) called DTV and asked them about DishNW offer, got put through to Customer Retention. DishNW DVR you can watch 2 differnt shows on 2 differnt TV's ! this is the only plus. DTV CR rep offered me a 2nd DTV-Tivo for free with install.

I love DTV

Old 12-25-2004, 08:39 AM   #124 (Print)
bnm81002

Re: 2nd DTV-Tivo unit for free

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutter
Calling my phone company (SBC) on a billing problem, they offered me a deal on DishNW. I turned it down (too good to be true) called DTV and asked them about DishNW offer, got put through to Customer Retention. DishNW DVR you can watch 2 differnt shows on 2 differnt TV's ! this is the only plus. DTV CR rep offered me a 2nd DTV-Tivo for free with install.

I love DTV

can you explain what the details of the DishNW DVR is? who did you call in Directv? trying to get a free 2nd DTivo too with free install, thanks
Old 12-25-2004, 10:09 PM   #125 (Print)
faerie
Quack!

Send a message via AIM to faerie Send a message via Yahoo to faerie
Quote:
Originally posted by bnm81002
I think it ends on Dec 31, as long as you place the order by then, install can be anytime after the 31st

Is this promotion still in effect? Has anyone ordered lately? My friend's mom is interested in trying to get this promotion, but she just got a Tivo for Christmas... We're not sure which to do first, try to get the $49 deal and then activate the new Tivo, or can we activate the TiVo and still get the deal?

A friend of hers tried to call DTV to get the $49 deal, but was told that there was no such promotion.
faerie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2004, 11:38 AM   #126 (Print)
Rcrew

faeire, when you say she got a TiVo for Christmas, what exactly did she get?

While I have not called yet, there's an awful lot of posts here saying this deal exists. Have them call back.

BTW, the promotion most are talking about in this thread is for existing customers. But I don't know why they wouldn't do the same thing for a new customer, if not better.
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2004, 03:48 PM   #127 (Print)
faerie
Quack!

Send a message via AIM to faerie Send a message via Yahoo to faerie
We ended up picking up the R10 from Circuit City for her. It's sitting in her living room waiting to be hooked up, but we wanted to sort out the $49 deal thing first.

She already has DirecTv, but she hasn't had TiVo before this.
faerie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2004, 04:43 PM   #128 (Print)
bnm81002

you have to speak to customer retention for the $49 deal offer-it's for existing Directv customers only though because for new customers there is a $50 rebate offer that must be mailed in to receive the $50 back, while the existing customers get a credit back onto their account, it's at least good to the 31st that I know of.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:03 PM   #129 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

I had to call DTV today. They didn't credit the 49 bucks back to my account. They charged me the full price 99 bucks plus S/H.
Got them to include the credit on my next bill but I had to call and sit on hold for a while.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2004, 10:52 PM   #130 (Print)
cplater
D*Tivo Newbie

Send a message via AIM to cplater Send a message via Yahoo to cplater
I just placed my order. The installer is supposed to be here on Friday. I'm looking forward to having another TiVo in the house.
cplater is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-26-2004, 11:00 PM   #131 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally posted by cplater
I just placed my order. The installer is supposed to be here on Friday. I'm looking forward to having another TiVo in the house.

the $49 deal? are you getting a 70 hour unit?
Old 12-26-2004, 11:47 PM   #132 (Print)
cplater
D*Tivo Newbie

Quote:

Yes the $49 deal for existing customers. I didn't ask which unit I will be getting, but I'll post here after the install to let everyone know. From some of the things I've read in other posts here it's a toss up, some ppl are getting 35 hr units, some 70 hr units, and some the R10. I'm hoping fo the R10, but I'd be OK w/ getting a 35 hr unit.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:05 AM   #133 (Print)
Athenian

Quote:
Why do you keep asking the same question when the situation has been explained over and over: DirecTV will install a DirecTivo for $49. You do not get to specify either the model or the capacity. The offer is for a 35-hour unit. If the contractor doesn't have any 35-hr boxes in stock, you will get what he does have.
Athenian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2004, 09:53 AM   #134 (Print)
mjpaci

Quote:
Originally posted by Athenian
Why do you keep asking the same question when the situation has been explained over and over: DirecTV will install a DirecTivo for $49. You do not get to specify either the model or the capacity. The offer is for a 35-hour unit. If the contractor doesn't have any 35-hr boxes in stock, you will get what he does have.

Question: What unit will I get if I call DirecTV and order the $49 deal?

Answer:
If the installer doesn't have a 35-hour unit AND he doesn't have a 70 hour unit, you WILL get an R10.

If the installer doesn't have a 35-hour unit AND he has a 70 hour unit, you WILL get the 70-hour unit.

If the installer has a 35-hour unit, you WILL get the 35-hour unit.

Question: How do you know this?

Answer:

My installer didn't have a 35-hour unit, but he did have a 70 hour unit, so I got the 70 hour unit. No, it's not an R10. It is some Phillips thing.
mjpaci is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2004, 02:29 PM   #135 (Print)
bnm81002

Quote:
Originally posted by Athenian

because he never specified what deal he was getting, if you READ the posts, not everyone has gotten the $49 DEAL or the 70 hour units
Old 12-27-2004, 02:50 PM   #136 (Print)
Athenian

It is you who do not seem to be able to read. If you did, you would see there is only one official deal -- $49 + S&H for a DirecTV tivo. That deal is available to everyone just by calling the regular number. It is good through December 31 and the box must be activated within 30 days after delivery. If you run into the one in a hundred CSR who doesn't know about the Christmas promotion, all you have to do is hang up and call again and get another rep or just ask to speak to a regular supervisor.

If you ask to talk to retention and mention competitive offers from other services (and all you have to do is go to different web sites to see what is being offered in your area), the rep may waive the $49 fee and sometimes the $14.95 but the basic deal is always the same.

As far as the 70-hr units are concerned, it is not part of any deal and no one at DirecTV has any control over that. If the local installer doesn't have the standard 35-hr unit in stock, the subscriber may luck out and get whatever else the installer has available.

Last edited by Athenian : 12-27-2004 at 03:19 PM.
Athenian is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-27-2004, 05:05 PM   #137 (Print)
iamcrazy033

Anyone know what the warehouse stock looks like in Philly PA? :P

Old 12-27-2004, 06:02 PM   #138 (Print)
Dkerr24
Lost in Grand Canyon

I never considered it much of a difference whether I got a 35 hour or 70 hour DTivo, as I was planning on upgrading the hard drive to give me 120 hours anyway.

Old 12-28-2004, 12:18 AM   #139 (Print)
cplater
D*Tivo Newbie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dkerr24
I never considered it much of a difference whether I got a 35 hour or 70 hour DTivo, as I was planning on upgrading the hard drive to give me 120 hours anyway.

That's been my plan since I got my first DirectTiVo last December, I just never got around to getting it done.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:04 AM   #140 (Print)
scalo

Send a message via Yahoo to scalo
First post here but a long time fan.....I just recently did the 2nd tivo offer from Directv and they installed it last night. I received an R10 instead of the 35 hour unit at no charge, zip, zero, nada. I had called because I was thinking about switching to D**H and they promptly passed me to the retention department where they told me right away that I could have a second tivo installed for free and that I would see a credit for the $99 and $14.95 shipping on my next bill totalling a $0 cost to me. I am still very new to Tivo but you guys have made me very interested in the things I can do with it and I thank you.
scalo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2004, 01:20 PM   #141 (Print)
stumacdo

Another first poster, but a long-time lurker.... I also just called the Retention Dept about the 2nd TIVO offer. I tried the tact of waffling on the 1 year commitment rambling about how I was waiting to see DTV's HD future versus DISH. They checked with the supervisor and said they would waive the 1 year committment if I paid the full $99. I told them no go, but what could they do if I agreed to sign another 1 year committment. Bingo, they agreed to waive the entire cost. They're backed up on installation till mid-January so it'll be interesting to see which unit I end up receiving. I have to also say how nice the retention rep was on the phone. She offered to email me updates on their HD strategy (i.e. locals in HD) as the rollout begins in 2005.
stumacdo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2004, 05:27 PM   #142 (Print)
mackrich

The deal is still HOT as of this writing. Don't wait any longer. DO IT, NOW!!! Period
mackrich is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2004, 06:13 PM   #143 (Print)
icebergz

I just got my 2nd Tivo for $14.95 (installation) coming Jan. 8th (DesMoines, IA) I used the "switching to DishNetwork" phrase and asked what they could offer to keep me as a customer. HE said' "Well, i'll give you another Tivo if that's what you want."

Last edited by icebergz : 12-29-2004 at 06:26 PM.
icebergz is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2004, 06:19 PM   #144 (Print)
mackrich

They sure are easy, aren't they. Make a person wonder, doesn't it? The installer will be here tomorrow; (Lake Havasu City, AZ)
mackrich is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-29-2004, 10:32 PM   #145 (Print)
Steveknj

I just put in my $49 order today, will be installed Jan. 12th. I see some people are getting the 70 hour boxes opposed to the 35. I also see an R10 box mentioned. Is that a 70 hour as well? If so, is that a superior box to any of the other 70 hour boxes? If so, why is that?

Old 12-29-2004, 10:49 PM   #146 (Print)
dtivofan23
TiVo addict

i wouldnt say superior but it does have newer software and its supposedly faster. but no big changes, still no hmo

Old 12-30-2004, 12:56 AM   #147 (Print)
glen4cindy

Quote:
Originally posted by steuert
"How much will it add to my bill. -0- "

I don't think this is correct. You will not see any additional fee for TiVo service from DTV, but they will add a $5 "mirroring" fee for programs for the second unit.

But still a great deal IMO.

Okay, I have been reading these messages, and just want to make sure I understand this fully.

I have already replaced an existing reciever with an 80 hr, (DTV says 70hrs, I guess 10 hrs is reserved for Showcase video and whatever else) so my bill will stay the same because I have already been paying the mirroring fees for the other reciever. BUT, with the DTV DVR, I get TWO tuners, and the ability to record TWO different programs OR watch ONE and record the OTHER, but, for just $4.99?

That is a deal, because, the only other way to do this would be to stack TWO recievers with two inputs, and like both of them fed to your VCR or DVD recorder and your TV, and a whole mess of a complicated way to switch between TWO DTV receivers, and then the hassle of making sure you have two different brands, or a single brand with two different remote codes, then you have to remember which remote is which................Jeez, this is getting confusing!!!

Do I have this right? 1 DVR, 2 inputs, 1 mirroring fee and that's it? NO TIVO fee, no extra fees? I only ask this because like 4 years ago, or maybe it was 3, I took advantage of Sprint PCS ADD-A-PHONE service. They said it was $10 to add a phone. What they didn't tell me was that there was also another $10 for the existing primary phone, AND $10 for the Add-A-Phone phone. So, when I called and went around and arround and arround that this was really $20 for Add-A-Phone, they continued and continued to argue with me. Now, they say that it's $20 to add a phone.

Sorry for being so long-winded!

Old 12-30-2004, 06:50 AM   #148 (Print)
bengalfreak

I have a question about the $49 DTivo. Do you have to give them a credit card number for the purchase, or do they just add the cost to your monthly bill? I'm very short of funds after Christmas.

Old 12-30-2004, 06:56 AM   #149 (Print)
CsrLiz344

Send a message via AIM to CsrLiz344
They add it to your bill.

Old 12-30-2004, 07:05 AM   #150 (Print)
bane

DVR with Tivo promotion for $49 is good through Dec 31st...although that MAY be extended.

The total cost is $49 + $14.95 handling fee + any applicable state taxes.
The account is charged the full $99 then credited $50. Think of it as an "instant rebate."

This promotion includes:
- 1 DirecTV DVR reciever with Tivo
- Up to 125' of cable (wall fishing or custom wiring excluded, two cables will be ran if the DVR unit is going into a room with no prior connections)
- Any equipment or hardware needed to allow all existing recievers and the new DVR to connect to the dish (including multiswitch and/or triple-sat dish)

Now, some other things to take note of:
The relocation of one standard reciever means that they will ONLY run ONE more cable to a room with no prior connection.

No one at DTV can specify or even request any make or model of reciever that you will get. Its completely based on what the local company has at the time.

The reciever comes with a 90 day warranty as does the installation. So, if the reciever fails or any of the newly installed equipment fails, it will be replaced or repaired at no charge for the first 90 days.

The Tivo subscription fee applies to each account no matter how many DVRs are active. This fee is waived, however, if the customer subscribes to Total Choice Premeire.

The $4.99 mirroring fee applies to any DVR just like any other standard reciever.

AND....just some FYI... DirecTV is now the ONLY manufacturer of any new reciever models to be made...DVR or standard. No more Hughes, Samsung, RCA, etc. They all will have the DTV name and model-numbering scheme. And yes, this promotion is basically a way of getting rid of inventory but not only to dump the 35 hour units, but to sell-off all the models made by other manufacturers.
bane is offline Report Bad Post Report Post