TiVo Community Forum Archive 2
Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2005, 09:49 AM   #31 (Print)
gordo

The real question is which kernel, will it be one that will allow us to protect tivoweb etc from getting wiped out...
gordo is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 11:33 AM   #32 (Print)
don300

Send a message via Yahoo to don300
What is the reason that SONY SAT-T60, PHILIPS DSR6000R, HUGHES GXCEBOT and HR10-250 will not receive the upgrade?
don300 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #33 (Print)
disco
stayin' alive.

Send a message via ICQ to disco Send a message via AIM to disco Send a message via MSN to disco Send a message via Yahoo to disco
They are Series1 (S1) DirecTiVo's.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #34 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

And teh Series1 use a different CPU type, that both TiVo the Company and DirecTv has stoped enhancing.

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 01:07 PM   #35 (Print)
Uncle Spanky

The screen shot shows the dates on the recording to be from June and July of last year...you're telling me that it takes 6 months to roll out FOLDERS...
Uncle Spanky is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 01:15 PM   #36 (Print)
stormrider

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncle Spanky
The screen shot shows the dates on the recording to be from June and July of last year...you're telling me that it takes 6 months to roll out FOLDERS...

I don't know about the roll-out timeframe but I'm pretty sure that screenshot on the D* page is just a mock-up and the programs are ficticious.

I have 2 black cats and that show "The Fiesty Black Cat" sounds interesting!

Old 02-03-2005, 01:19 PM   #37 (Print)
TVKitty

You guys know how some people with the R10s are saying that with 6.1, Tivo will stop recording after 30 days with no phone calls? (I am still waiting to see what's happens with Earl's and other people's R10s when they get to 30 days.)

Do you think it will be the same with 6.2? I don't have a land line (or a computer near the Tivo to do PPP over serial) so I won't take my Tivo to a friend's with a phone line and let it get this update if it will stop working after 30 days with no phone call. Otherwise, I'll have to be hauling it over to my friend's house every month. I would like to get folders though.

When someone gets 6.2, would anyone be willing to try unplugging theirs for 30 days to see what happens?
TVKitty is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 01:27 PM   #38 (Print)
coreybv

Quote:
Originally posted by Oknarf
No, I got that I just hate to see people dilluding themselves with false hope. If you want HMO and MRV on a directv Tivo, you need to do it yourself.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say that I'm dilluding myself with false hope since, as I said earlier in this thread, I have no intention of allowing this update to install on my boxes. I'm perfectly happy with 4.0.1b. and all of the goodness it offers.
coreybv is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 01:37 PM   #39 (Print)
Rkkeller

The update sounds GREAT to me and I cant wait. Don't care about MVR, HMO, PCP, DDT or whatever. I just use the box like it was sold to me and am VERY happy. Thanks DirecTV.

Rich
Rkkeller is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 01:41 PM   #40 (Print)
dtremain

Quote:
Originally posted by Rkkeller
I just use the box like it was sold to me and am VERY happy. Thanks DirecTV.
That's me too! Someone once wrote on here or on DBSFORUJMS that Directivo works best when you just enjoy it. I've had it for a year, and, boy, do we enjoy it. I've watched television for my 55 years, but never like this.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 02:15 PM   #41 (Print)
GAM
Niiiice!

How did you navigate to this page from the DirecTV site? I don't see any links.
GAM is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 02:33 PM   #42 (Print)
marrone
Phased Member

I suppose I'll have to swap my DSR6000 (which is my main Tivo) with my SD-DVR40 (which I hardly use, and quite honestly, wonder why I bought).

Problem is, I'll have to upgrade the SD-DVR40, then let it populate for a few days before I do the swap, so my son doesn't panic that his precious House of Mouse isn't on there.

Hopefully they'll include lba48 so it will be a cinch to install a cheap 160gig drive, and I can then take out the original 40 and keep as a backup.

-Mike

Old 02-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #43 (Print)
stormrider

Quote:
Originally posted by GAM
How did you navigate to this page from the DirecTV site? I don't see any links.

I couldn't find a link path thru the D* site but here is the direct link again.DTiVo 6.2 upgrade page

Old 02-03-2005, 03:01 PM   #44 (Print)
GAM
Niiiice!

Thanks for posting the link but I was hoping to figure out where this info was from the website for future updates from DirecTV. If anyone knows how to navigate from the DirecTV website a little help would be appreciated.
GAM is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 04:05 PM   #45 (Print)
Kash76
Live TV?

I would love for the USB ports work so I could use ethernet. I would really like to move to Vonage but I cannot get my TiVo's to dial over the Vonage connection.

TiVoBill? Can you answer this??

RCA Series 2 DirecTiVo
Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo
Philips DSR6000R DirecTiVo HACKED --> 106 hours!
Lifetime TiVo Sub!

www.keanen.com
Kash76 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 04:07 PM   #46 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by Kash76
I would love for the USB ports work so I could use ethernet. I would really like to move to Vonage but I cannot get my TiVo's to dial over the Vonage connection.

TiVoBill? Can you answer this??
and why do you need your DirecTiVo to call in?

BTW, your avitar is against the rules of this forum. From the avitar page "NOTE: You MUST use an actual photo of yourself. No cartoons, pets, or animated GIF's allowed. Failure to do so could result is your posting rights to be removed."

Old 02-03-2005, 04:21 PM   #47 (Print)
Kash76
Live TV?

Quote:
Originally posted by rminsk
and why do you need your DirecTiVo to call in?

BTW, your avitar is against the rules of this forum. From the avitar page "NOTE: You MUST use an actual photo of yourself. No cartoons, pets, or animated GIF's allowed. Failure to do so could result is your posting rights to be removed."

So I don't get the nagging message of "your TiVo hasn't successfully dialed in for xx days" message, I wouldn't get updates to my software i.e. 6.2, and so my PPV's get billed correctly.

Interesting rule , picture removed.

RCA Series 2 DirecTiVo
Sony SAT-T60 DirecTiVo
Philips DSR6000R DirecTiVo HACKED --> 106 hours!
Lifetime TiVo Sub!

www.keanen.com
Kash76 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #48 (Print)
jaydro

If 6.2 stops recording after 30 days with no phone call, then I hope they've fixed their phone call procedure. I routinely go over 30 days (according to the nag messages) without a successful phone call. Right now I'm getting daily nag messages about it not calling for 42 days or something like that, and yet the system info screen says my last attempt was on Jan 2 and was successful (and that wasn't a manual test call--I've seen that show up in the past). I do know at one time it said the next call attempt would be last weekend, but that changed to next weekend. I know there's nothing wrong with the phone connection (my SA TiVo shares the same jack), and I'm pretty sure that call attempt last weekend should have happened when nothing was being recorded and no one was using the phone. Why does it schedule the retry for eight days later? Will it really fail if both tuners are being used to record (as someone reported was the case with Ultimate TV)?

Sure, I could do the call manually, but I babysit this box enough, and a perverse part of me wants to see just how long it can go before it finally thinks it succeeded. I never had any problem until two software revs ago.

I'd be happy if they just made the friggin' thing call in every day and set the clock using that--I always had rock-solid timekeeping with my SA TiVo and never a nag about phone calls. Geez.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:07 PM   #49 (Print)
kablooie
how do i access USB?

if my series 2 (with 3.1.x) does eventually upgrade to 6.x, can i go to 4.x down the road? i'm assuming i could by buying a new HD and putting the 4.x version on that and then put it in the dtivo and put the unused 6.x drive on the shelf....
-louie
kablooie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #50 (Print)
Jumi

ddobson - thanks for the info. I knew about the 30 sec skip but not the pause trick. Speaking of 30 sec skip: are there rumbles about removing this functionality? If we see it coming we could avoid all future software upgrades.
Jumi is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-04-2005, 01:14 PM   #51 (Print)
mattg

If they provide support for large disk drives, then I'll be happy.
mattg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-04-2005, 01:28 PM   #52 (Print)
ScooterQ

Is there anyway to control when you get your update? I'd like to get it now, before I add a 160 gb drive (so I can use lba48 support and use the entire drive). Thx.
ScooterQ is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #53 (Print)
Rcrew

Quote:
Originally posted by rbrtnfld
You guys know how some people with the R10s are saying that with 6.1, Tivo will stop recording after 30 days with no phone calls? (I am still waiting to see what's happens with Earl's and other people's R10s when they get to 30 days.)

I'm still waiting for Earl's response too. I unplugged my R10, but it's only been 10 or 12 days.

I think I'll leave it unplugged for the full 30 days. If folks are getting 6.2 by then, I'll plug it in to wait for the download, then immediately pull it again to start another 30 day timer.
Rcrew is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-04-2005, 02:05 PM   #54 (Print)
TVKitty

Rcrew, that would be great. If you could please keep me updated on what happens so I know if I should get 6.2 or not.
TVKitty is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-04-2005, 02:12 PM   #55 (Print)
leesweet
TC Special Member

Hm, I'd still like to know how this page was discovered...
I've searched at directv.com for words/phrases on the page (like "6.2 software", etc.), and don't see it, so it doesn't appear to be in the index.

Are we *sure* this page is supposed to be available yet? (Shades of the "Intresting Screen" thread about MRV... Last mod date for the page is 1/31/05...

Old 02-04-2005, 02:31 PM   #56 (Print)
toddeades

QUOTE]Originally posted by dtremain
That's me too! Someone once wrote on here or on DBSFORUJMS that Directivo works best when you just enjoy it. I've had it for a year, and, boy, do we enjoy it. I've watched television for my 55 years, but never like this. [/QUOTE]

I'm right there with you. I love my Tivo but was very disappointing about 12 months ago when I moved from a stand alone to DirecTv and lost the groups.

I just assumed they would be there.

It does not make we dislike the functionality of the Tivo, but come on what is going on here. Why can't they just make the groups work, talk about a BASIC feature. Low impact with high rewards for usability.

I'm afraid to do an upgrade and don't want to spend the money to have it done, so I'm just waiting. Maybe sometime soon.

But it appears that this page dosen't have any links to it from directv.com so maybe it shouldn't be there and we will never get the upgrade.
toddeades is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-04-2005, 02:37 PM   #57 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally posted by ScooterQ
Is there anyway to control when you get your update? I'd like to get it now, before I add a 160 gb drive (so I can use lba48 support and use the entire drive). Thx.
Nope. DirecTV will try to push the software to all the machines over the satellite at one time but not activate it. Then over a 2-3 month period they will slowly activate the software. They choose machines randomly each day by serial number to be added to the "6.2" software list. Once your machine is on list the next time it makes a phone call it will activate the software.

Edit: Once the software is pushed over the satellite you can manually install it but that requires hacking of your unit.

Last edited by rminsk : 02-04-2005 at 03:08 PM.
rminsk is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-04-2005, 03:13 PM   #58 (Print)
CsrLiz344

Send a message via AIM to CsrLiz344
Quote:
Originally posted by leesweet
Hm, I'd still like to know how this page was discovered...
I've searched at directv.com for words/phrases on the page (like "6.2 software", etc.), and don't see it, so it doesn't appear to be in the index.

Are we *sure* this page is supposed to be available yet? (Shades of the "Intresting Screen" thread about MRV... Last mod date for the page is 1/31/05...

If you click on the link, it IS a D* web addy, but I also tried a search, under upgrade because of the address, but nothing comes up. It's wierd,I don't know how he coulda found it.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:17 PM   #59 (Print)
ebonovic
A TiVo Junkie...

Quote:
Originally posted by Rcrew
I'm still waiting for Earl's response too. I unplugged my R10, but it's only been 10 or 12 days.

I think I'll leave it unplugged for the full 30 days. If folks are getting 6.2 by then, I'll plug it in to wait for the download, then immediately pull it again to start another 30 day timer.

I'm close... should be this weekend as I lost phone service on 1/5/05

Non-TiVo DirecTV DVR (R15,HR20) ->
DBSTalk
ebonovic is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-04-2005, 03:59 PM   #60 (Print)
VoR
TheGoal is Elevation

I rather see use of the 'Window' button over HMO at this time...

Hughes HDVR2 Stock [11/03 to ?]

Phillips DSR6000 [10/01 to 12/02 RIP]
VoR is offline Report Bad Post Report Post