Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 02-12-2005, 10:23 AM   #91 (Print)
jrock

Send a message via ICQ to jrock
Does anyone know if 6.2 will turn the USB ports on for network adapters?

-Joe
jrock is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2005, 10:31 AM   #92 (Print)
Gunnyman
Hamob

it will not

it will give you folders, and faster menus.

Gunnyman is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2005, 04:24 PM   #93 (Print)
BeanCounter1

Software downlod not from spotbeam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquis6461
They are doing them based on Zip Codes and areas.

Tells me they are sending the upgrades via spot beams.

Not. I don't get the spotbeam (locals) due to trees and I've always got the new software just fine. My understanding is that is is on the national bird and is sent down to everyone but is not activated.

It just lays dormant on your hard drive until your Tivo makes its call. If you are in the right group, it will activate the new software during the call, if not, it just stays dormant until your group is up.
BeanCounter1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-12-2005, 05:26 PM   #94 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock
Does anyone know if 6.2 will turn the USB ports on for network adapters?

-Joe

actually I thinkg 6.1 lights 'em up, and the adapter will get an IP address from a DHCP router and also communicate with the tivo destktop application.

One step closer but still not useable for anything without hacking.
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-14-2005, 09:35 PM   #95 (Print)
DerekBalderson
Noob

will my 160 gig hard drive automatically show up as 160 after the upgrade?
DerekBalderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-15-2005, 08:21 AM   #96 (Print)
mattg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekBalderson
will my 160 gig hard drive automatically show up as 160 after the upgrade?

I don't think so because the software created a 137GB partition.... from what I understand. You would have to reformat, etc to see the full.

That is if the new software has the new kernel... has that been confirmed yet?
mattg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-15-2005, 09:00 AM   #97 (Print)
ddobson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg
I don't think so because the software created a 137GB partition.... from what I understand. You would have to reformat, etc to see the full.

That is if the new software has the new kernel... has that been confirmed yet?

From what I've read it's unlikely the new software will support the larger drives. I was very much hoping for this as I just had all of my receivers replaced with TiVo's (Thanks D*).

Anyway I'm not going to put additional drives in any of them yet. I was hoping for at least 1 R-10 on the upgrade so I could have a HUGE unit in the Living room but I got all 708's. No problem with that except I wanted to add a 300 Gig drive to one of the units.

Let's hope the include the kernel. It would be nice if they did.

XM since 6/04

Like Tracking Storms?
www.stormpredator.com
ddobson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-15-2005, 09:15 AM   #98 (Print)
stuthemonkey

I see a lot of people are wondering how people got access to the DirectTV web page that talks about the 6.2 upgrade.

I had an email chain going with Direct TV asking about the upgrades, and why new units from the stores come with 6.1, yet I'm still stuck at 3.1 or whatever it is. After about half a dozen emails yelling at them for sidestepping my answers by saying stuff about stand alone units, when I clearly stated everytime that I had to DirectTivo units, they finally answered me by sending me the link to the upgrade page that everyone is talking about here.

If you would like, when I get home, I can post the email they sent me with the link as proof, currently I'm at work, and don't have access to that email.
stuthemonkey is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-15-2005, 09:21 AM   #99 (Print)
DVDKingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddobson
From what I've read it's unlikely the new software will support the larger drives. I was very much hoping for this as I just had all of my receivers replaced with TiVo's (Thanks D*).

Anyway I'm not going to put additional drives in any of them yet. I was hoping for at least 1 R-10 on the upgrade so I could have a HUGE unit in the Living room but I got all 708's. No problem with that except I wanted to add a 300 Gig drive to one of the units.

Let's hope the include the kernel. It would be nice if they did.

The 6.2 software should support a larger hard drive. I'm currently running 6.1 on my R10 (160GB)140 Hrs.

Old 02-15-2005, 01:08 PM   #100 (Print)
artd1

Cool

Hi

Newbie to the forum

Sorry if this has been asked

Is this coming down via the satellite or phone line? My D*tivo has not phoned home in over a year, and was wondering if I'll need to take it to a friends house to upgrade to the newer software.

artd1 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-15-2005, 02:03 PM   #101 (Print)
DerekBalderson
Noob

My Question is asking if it matters when I put my Hard drive in in relationship to the upgrade.

in other word:
IF the new software supports larger hard drives, and i have a larger hard drive already installed, will it automaticaly update the HD info or will it staly at 137?
DerekBalderson is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-15-2005, 02:15 PM   #102 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by artd1
Hi

Newbie to the forum

Sorry if this has been asked

Is this coming down via the satellite or phone line? My D*tivo has not phoned home in over a year, and was wondering if I'll need to take it to a friends house to upgrade to the newer software.

Software updates come over the satellite and are activated by a short phone call. If your machine missed the satellite push and is up for activation it will download it over the phone.

When DirecTV release software they slowly roll it out over a 2-3 month period. Each night they randomly select machines to be added to the new software list. After your machine is on the list the next phone call will activate the software. After a while the software is put in general release and all machines are added to the list for the new software.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:16 PM   #103 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekBalderson
My Question is asking if it matters when I put my Hard drive in in relationship to the upgrade.

in other word:
IF the new software supports larger hard drives, and i have a larger hard drive already installed, will it automaticaly update the HD info or will it staly at 137?
It will stay at 137. The DirecTiVo can not repartition the drive.

Old 02-15-2005, 04:49 PM   #104 (Print)
artd1

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk
Software updates come over the satellite and are activated by a short phone call. If your machine missed the satellite push and is up for activation it will download it over the phone.

When DirecTV release software they slowly roll it out over a 2-3 month period. Each night they randomly select machines to be added to the new software list. After your machine is on the list the next phone call will activate the software. After a while the software is put in general release and all machines are added to the list for the new software.

What if D*tivo does NOT phone home, I have Vonage and no land base phone service. My D*tivo's have not called home in over a year. Should I wait till later this year and go to a friends house to down load?

Old 02-15-2005, 06:12 PM   #105 (Print)
Nightfall

Quote:
Originally Posted by artd1
What if D*tivo does NOT phone home, I have Vonage and no land base phone service. My D*tivo's have not called home in over a year. Should I wait till later this year and go to a friends house to down load?

Well, since the software installs over the phone, then I would have to assume that your Tivo isn't going to update if it can't phone out. Your best bet is to wait until a lot of people have it, then it take it over to a friends for an update.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:29 PM   #106 (Print)
dtremain

The update comes to all of the receivers at once over the satellite, but then is installed on a rolled-out basis, triggered by the phone call. So, yes, once the roll-out begins, your receiver will need to make a phone call to initiate intallation. It is hard to say just when. You may want to wait a month or so after people start getting it (that will be obvious on this forum) and then try calling from your friend's house. If you get the trigger then, instead of saying "completed" the status of your call on the "system information" screen says something like "awaiting restart." At the next 2:00 AM, your receiver will re-start and install the software. If you don't get the "awaiting restart" (or whatever) message, you will have to visit your friend again in a couple of weeks.

Hope that's clear.
dtremain is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 01:05 AM   #107 (Print)
mgama

Well darn. I was hoping to get rid of my land-phone-line. If they just would have enabled the USB ports, I could have cancled my phone service ($30/month). That would free up $30 a month that would likely have gone towards some premium channels. DTV, your time is running out... you are about to lose me as a customer.
mgama is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-16-2005, 07:54 AM   #108 (Print)
mattg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgama
Well darn. I was hoping to get rid of my land-phone-line. If they just would have enabled the USB ports, I could have cancled my phone service ($30/month). That would free up $30 a month that would likely have gone towards some premium channels. DTV, your time is running out... you are about to lose me as a customer.

If you have WinXP, you can run the phone call through to your PC with a serial cable.

Look in this thread...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...87&highlight=XP
mattg is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 12:54 AM   #109 (Print)
mgama

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg
If you have WinXP, you can run the phone call through to your PC with a serial cable.

Look in this thread...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...87&highlight=XP

Thanks for the tip, but I cannot lug my PC into two rooms to do that, and I don't want to deal with the nag screens. Now if I just had a laptop... a free one to boot.
mgama is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 07:58 AM   #110 (Print)
technojunkie

Big Grin

I love all this talk about satellite updates. Folks those updates involve things like scheduling and which channels you receive. Software is updated via the phone line or internet if you've put in a hack. Both of my units were updated yesterday by a forced call. The calls took nearly an hour. Don't think you'll get the software by sat and the phone call just riggers it. Ain't so. Get your unit to a phone line and dial in. This upgrade doesn't sound anything like the one for TGO. No special list just dial in.
technojunkie is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 08:51 AM   #111 (Print)
cartilage01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgama
Thanks for the tip, but I cannot lug my PC into two rooms to do that, and I don't want to deal with the nag screens. Now if I just had a laptop... a free one to boot.

I am using a serial connection to my PC using PPP that is about 50 feet long. I made an extention cable using CAT 5 wire and grounding all of the unused pins. It makes it's calls every couple of days with no problems.
cartilage01 is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 09:25 AM   #112 (Print)
eengert

PPP also works on Win2K. So just get yourself a serial cable from 9thtee.com, then get a stereo extension cable (like you'd use to extend a mini-headphone plug - radioshack has them) as long as you need. You only need to plug in once in a while (I do it about once a week) and force the call. Following the directions here (http://www.tivohelp.com/) it's pretty simple to do. It's worth it to save $30/month, isn't it? Good luck. If you run into trouble with the PPP, folks here will help you.
eengert is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 11:36 AM   #113 (Print)
chtrich

Hey technojunkie,

Are you saying you got 6.2???
chtrich is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 11:51 AM   #114 (Print)
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by technojunkie
I love all this talk about satellite updates. Folks those updates involve things like scheduling and which channels you receive. Software is updated via the phone line or internet if you've put in a hack. Both of my units were updated yesterday by a forced call. The calls took nearly an hour. Don't think you'll get the software by sat and the phone call just riggers it. Ain't so. Get your unit to a phone line and dial in. This upgrade doesn't sound anything like the one for TGO. No special list just dial in.
OK, I was going to hold off on replying to this until I got to the last sentence. First off all the updates do come down on the satellite. In the past when we have been anxiously awaiting them some folks have hacked into their tivos and have been able to ascertain when the update has been downloaded - by satellite- before the phone call has triggered the installation. But your last comment " No special list just dial in." Is what gets me. Repeatedly, in the past we have been told by the Tivo insiders not to do this. There IS a list, otherwise all of us would be getting it within a seven or eight day time frame as that is the time between phone calls. And we don't all get it over that short of a period of time (the DTV website linked to in the first post in this thread says it will be over "several months")- so obviously you are dead wrong on that. And Tivo doesn't appreciate everybody calling in every hour or so trying to force the download, it just ties up the phone and doesn't appreciably accelerate the software download for the caller. (Yes, if it was already downloaded to you BY SATELLITE and your next call isn't till next Sunday it will speed it up by a few days but that is all). What you probably had downloaded by phone was a software version that everybody else got long ago by satellite. Nowadays those are the only updates that are being done by phone.

Last edited by willardcpa : 02-17-2005 at 12:05 PM.
willardcpa is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 01:34 PM   #115 (Print)
Arcady
Stargate Fan

Send a message via AIM to Arcady
I just thought of something. What if the main reason we are getting a software update is not for folders, or because DirecTV cares if we have new features, but for the new ads that will be playing while we fast-forward through our shows? That was supposed to start in March, just about the time this update is to roll out to most users.

Hmm...
Arcady is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 05:21 PM   #116 (Print)
DrStrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphare
Not so fast, we recieved a software upgrade to our UltimateTVs just before support for them was abandonded.

UltimateTVs had disappeared from store shelves for quite a long time before they got the last update, and DirecTV hasn't cut off service to them even today, so neither of those can be the "support" you're talking about. The only other form of support I can think of is software updates, and saying that "support" was abandoned just after the last software update is a bit tautological.

(I know that's an old post to be replying to at this point but I just noticed this thread with todays bumping.)
DrStrange is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 05:37 PM   #117 (Print)
Okeemike
Tastes like lemons

Send a message via ICQ to Okeemike Send a message via Yahoo to Okeemike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash76
I would love for the USB ports work so I could use ethernet. I would really like to move to Vonage but I cannot get my TiVo's to dial over the Vonage connection.

TiVoBill? Can you answer this??

I've got an R10, and I can dial out just fine. The key was to have Vonage change my packet size. After that...it was all good!

Okeemike is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 07:26 PM   #118 (Print)
Cartrivision

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCodanti
DirecTV has a page up about the coming 6.2 upgrade.

Since my R10 with 6.1 already has the NP list sorting and Folders "upgrades" listed for 6.2, does that mean that the R10's with 6.1 already have the "speedup" that 6.2 supposedly has?
Cartrivision is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 02-17-2005, 07:42 PM   #119 (Print)
rminsk
TiVoted TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartrivision
Since my R10 with 6.1 already has the NP list sorting and Folders "upgrades" listed for 6.2, does that mean that the R10's with 6.1 already have the "speedup" that 6.2 supposedly has?
Yes. 6.1 is the "same" as 6.2 but is for the different motherboard and processor.

Old 02-17-2005, 07:58 PM   #120 (Print)
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rminsk
Yes. 6.1 is the "same" as 6.2 but is for the different motherboard and processor.

i think i read the r10's will get 6.2 also.

I beleive 6.2 = 6.1 sans the HMO screens. Just my guess.

IN any event 6.1 is just as fast as 6.2.

If you cant stand how slow 6.1 is try 3.1- you might poke your eye out waiting to reorganize your season passes!
MichaelK is offline Report Bad Post Report Post