Covering threads with a last post date between
July 1, 2004 and December 31, 2005.
THIS IS A READ ONLY SITE

SEARCH  |  ARCHIVE 1 MAIN SITE

Forum Jump

Old 12-27-2005, 11:01 PM   #1 (Print)
clorox

Jackpot! 4 stacked signals on one line!

So, A while back I pondered why I was getting all three satellites through my MDU line (now, to be fair, to this day I still have not used all three satellites because I haven't bought the equipment) and although everyone here has been helpful as possible, I couldn't find my answer, and the general consensus was that an MDU can not provide a single drop with 4 stacked signals (2 on 101, and then 119 and 110). However, my MDU insisted that no additional cable would need to be run to provide me with HD.

Lo and behold, when I was down in the building's gym checking out the equipment they are using, I saw that the destackers are made by a company called NAS, and when I went to their site, I found the following:

New York - April 14, 2004

NAS - National Antenna Systems LLC, (nasproducts .com), with over 100,000 MDU units utilizing its applications, has achieved a major milestone in the DBS Industry.

AMSD™ - Advanced Multi-Satellite Distribution - As of today NAS is the only company in the United States capable of providing DBS programming from one, two or three satellites over a single line in the MDU environment.

With new legislation and additional DBS programming multi-satellite delivery is inevitable. NAS is first in the nation to foresee the need and benefits for such innovations, and is providing the necessary solution.

The newly developed product line includes a S2000LD distribution system. This system allows distribution via Single Customer Drop all DIRECTV services from the 101/110/119 satellites. The system supports up to 400 feet of RG-6 or RG-59 customer drops.
S2000LD system includes:

Satellite Master Conversion Unit SCU-2P3MD (Stacker). The unit has an AGC on each input and is stacking all DIRECTV transponders into a Single 950 - 2870 MHZ frequency band
Ultra High Frequency Power and In-Line Amplifiers. Operating Frequency Range 50 - 3500 MHz
Ultra High Frequency Active and Passive Splitters. Operating Frequency Range 50 - 3550 MHz
Multi-satellite Customer Device SCD-2P3LD (De-stacker)

Now, what I really need to get my hands on is the Multi-satellite customer device SCD-2P3LD. I also know that they specifically mention multiple IRDs with multiple satellites in their wiring diagrams. I am definitely going to have to look into this. I hope that this is promising for some of you other readers out there, and frankly I'm curious to see if anyone has any comments on the above.

Thanks!

Edit: Evidently these guys can cram 5 signals on a single drop cable:

NAS in the News
New York - December 1, 2005

New MFH-1 DIRECTV System for Distributing DIRECTV Program and Services for its Fleet of Five Orbital Slot Satellites in MDU Environment via Single Home Run to a Multiple IRDs

DIRECTV, in partnership with UNITRON Group and National Antenna Systems (NAS), have designed a single wire homerun solution, which is optimized for distributing DIRECTV program and services for its fleet of five orbital slot satellites. The MDU MFH1TM is an advancement of today's band-stacked distribution system. The new advancement in technology involves the ability to frequency stack up to five (5) DIRECTV satellites onto a single homerun wire entering the customer's residence. Today's band-stacked systems are limited to supporting DIRECTV programming @ 101º or multi-sat services at 101º, 110º, and 119º. DIRECTV's new MFH1 system supports programming and services at 101º, 110º, 119º, 95º, and 72.5º WL via a single homerun wire. The MFH1 offers several key benefits:

1) Provides for delivery of all DIRECTV programming available in today's Single Family Housing (SFH) environment

2) Supports multiple receivers within the apartment, including multi-tuner receivers via a single wire customer drop

3) Provides a low cost upgrade path to enable future Ka band services

4) Reduces capital outlays compared to existing approaches in use today.

The MFH1 system operates by band stacking signals on to a single satellite grade RG6 or better coax cable, such that all currently operational DIRECTV satellite broadcasts are supported. The stacked signals from 2 - 3500 MHz are transmitted from the distribution lock-box to the apartment using a single homerun cable. The system is designed to auto-compensate for signal attenuation as a function of frequency and cable loss within the distribution system. The system is compatible with off-air VHF and UHF frequency bands to support NTSC and ATSC services. Additionally this system provides a 2-way signaling solution to enable broadband data services to co-exist on a common homerun wire. From the customer's DIRECTV receiver perspective, the system is designed to provide a standard 500 MHz DIRECTV compliant signal to each receiver. This architecture allows all DIRECTV receivers, past or present to operate with this system.

A Customer Device is required at the apartment entry point. The Customer Device input port is connected to the homerun cable delivering the stacked signal. The output port is connected to each DIRECTV Receiver. There are three models available: Single Output Port, Dual Output Ports, and Quad Output Ports. Each port supports one basic receiver or one satellite tuner on a multi-tuner receiver. For a DVR receiver, a Dual Output port Customer Device is typically co-located at the DIRECTV receiver location.

About NAS

National Antenna Systems LLC, (nasproducts .com), with over 200,000 MDU units utilizing its applications, has achieved a major milestone in the DBS Industry. As of today NAS is the only company in the United States capable of providing DBS programming from one, two, three & five satellites over a single home run in the MDU environment.

Contact Information:

Phone: 718-567-8470 Ext: 101; Fax: 718-567-8445
E-Mail: Anovak@nasproducts.com
E-mail: Abramnovak@aol.com
clorox is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 12:59 AM   #2 (Print)
ChrisW6ATV

Send a message via ICQ to ChrisW6ATV Send a message via AIM to ChrisW6ATV Send a message via Yahoo to ChrisW6ATV
Interesting equipment-it could help a lot of people who do not want to or cannot run extra cables, but I bet it is not cheap.

Nowhere, however, is the term "MDU" explained. I will guess, though, that it means "multiple dwelling unit" or similar... did they really have to turn the names "apartment building" or "condominium building" into yet another acronym?

(I probably answered my own question-they call a house an "SFU" in that document. That means, since I am single, I actually live in a "SPU".)

Old 12-28-2005, 01:22 AM   #3 (Print)
clorox

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV
Interesting equipment-it could help a lot of people who do not want to or cannot run extra cables, but I bet it is not cheap.

Nowhere, however, is the term "MDU" explained. I will guess, though, that it means "multiple dwelling unit" or similar... did they really have to turn the names "apartment building" or "condominium building" into yet another acronym?

(I probably answered my own question-they call a house an "SFU" in that document. That means, since I am single, I actually live in a "SPU".)

Yeah, MDU = Multiple Dwelling Unit = Apartment Building. I need to contact these guys to get one of their consumer destacking units, and I'm hoping they are willing to provide one directly to a consumer - we'll see.
clorox is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 04:14 PM   #4 (Print)
Phantom Gremlin

Notice there is no mention of the 99 and 103 satellites. So this equipment won't work with the rollout of the new MPEG-4 locals.
Phantom Gremlin is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 05:21 PM   #5 (Print)
DTV TiVo Dealer
Snr. Member/Retailer

I know NDS and their stacking equipment. You can stack 99-101-103-110 and 119 on a single coax.

-Robert
DTV TiVo Dealer is offline Report Bad Post Report Post
Old 12-28-2005, 07:46 PM   #6 (Print)
A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud is offline Report Bad Post Report Post